Which characters would you consider "iconic"?

Guest matty

Iconic characters: Bobby, Donald, Morag, Irene, Ailsa, Alf, Colleen, Roo, Sally, Tom and Pippa.

As an added bonus...

Iconic brands used on the show: VB and Fosters (amongst other brands), vintage Australian money - both dollars and cents.

Iconic locations: Surf Club, Stewart's Store, Diner, Summer Bay House/Caravan Park, the beach, Stewart's Point, Alf & Ailsa's place, the Beach house, Donald's place and the Sands Resort.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think Tom or Celia are iconic characters. I love Celia, but not iconic. Likewise I don't believe that Lance is iconic. I think there's a tendency to list caracters as iconic, simply because they were originals.

Yeah. Celia is a real favourite of mine but I don't see her as a Home and Away Icon - the others in my/Ryan's list I do. The reason I added Lance was because I do see him as iconic to the show. I also think he is instantly recognisable to the show, whereas I'm not sure Celia would be to most who haven't seen the early years in recently.

I think Icons are those that helped define the show in one era or another.

I don't think Tom or Celia are iconic characters. I love Celia, but not iconic. Likewise I don't believe that Lance is iconic. I think there's a tendency to list caracters as iconic, simply because they were originals. I'd say:

Alf

Ailsa

Sally

Pippa

Irene

Marilyn

Donald

Shane

Angel

Colleen

Sophie

Gypsy

Not Tom?? Are you serious? :o

How come you don't consider Lance and Celia?

I think we've got to be wary that those who have now watched the first 500 episodes don't get caught up in how great they are. I think Tom is a great character and all, but I still struggle to see him as any icon. With these things I think it's quite to difficult to say what one thing makes you think so as well, but I see Tom eventually becomes a semi-important character for the first 3 years, like countless others have subsequently been. Is Tom anymore iconic than Selina? Is it just because we have seen him recently?

To me, an iconic character is one that is instantly connected to a TV show or movie, and is recognised as such by the general public. For example, Darth Vader or C-3PO & R2-D2 are synonymous with Star Wars, recognisable even to someone who may have never watched the movies. Likewise with the TARDIS and Daleks from Doctor Who.

Using this as the basis of which H&A character is iconic, in my opinion it can only be Alf Stewart, for no other reason than he has been there consistently from day one to now. Like the TARDIS and the Star Wars droids, he is the one character that links all the eras of the show. To compare today's episodes to those screened in 1988 is like comparing apples and oranges, but while Alf is there you know that despite how much the show has changed, it is still Home and Away. There have been others over the years that may have been iconic within their own times, but for his pure staying-power, Alf is the man.

^But you can't say Alf is the most iconic just because he is the only character to have endured all these years. I would say that Sally, Pippa, Donald and Marilyn are probably just as, if not more iconic than Alf is.

ETA I can't believe I left Bobby out from my list. :o

Which, if you read my post, is why I specifically said "in my opinion". I can say Alf is the most iconic, as when I see Alf or Ray Meagher, the first thing that springs to mind is Home & Away.

With a show like H&A it's all subjective really.

Archived