Frozen in Time

Guest Claire_Blake

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks to everyone who has commented and read so far. Hope you're enjoying it... :)

--------------------------------

The sun was blisteringly hot as Charlie jogged along the beach. It was early morning and this, for a long time now, had been her form of release. The best thing about running this early was that on more occasion than not the beach was pretty much empty. She could plug her Ipod in and lose herself in the coolness of the fresh morning breeze. When she ran she didn’t have to think. It was as if her worries all but went away. She’d left early. Ruby, Leah and VJ had yet to surface and it was her day off. Jogging now she became aware of somebody in the distance. As she approached them she could see that they were carrying a surfboard out of the waves. She contemplated ignoring him, pretending she hadn’t seen him and continuing her jog but at the moment she caught his eye and she was left with no doubt that he had seen her. She wasn’t in the mood to make light conversation, especially with him, but aware that he was trying to make conversation with her she stopped. Panting and trying to regain her breath she took out her earphones.

“Morning Buckton.”

Heath smiled across at her as he dug his board into the sand and picked a towel up from the floor. “Nice morning for a good stroll isn’t it. You should be careful though. Early morning run on your own. You don’t know who you could bump into”.

Having regained her breath Charlie stood across from him and smiled sarcastically.

“What do you want Heath?”

He rubbed the towel over his hair before letting it hang loosely over his shoulder.

“Just looking out for you Sergeant. Community spirit. Isn’t that what you guys in the blue promote?” He smiled amused as he watched her readjust her position and place her hand on her hip impatiently. She took a deep breath in as she began to speak despite her shortness of breath. “I thought you would’ve been out harassing the Pirovic’s. Got bored already have we?”

Heath laughed as he picked his board up from the sand and started to dry it down with his towel. “Still early Buckton. Wouldn’t want to disappoint you now would I? Gotta give them a chance to get their beauty sleep.”

She shifted on the spot growing bored with the conversation and fished in her pocket for her earphones. “Haven’t you got better things to do with your time? Steer clear of Hammer Pirovic. That goes for your brother as well.”

Heath grinned picking up his board. He’d wondered how long it would take her to mention Brax’s name. “I’ll pass on the message.” He smiled blowing sand off the surface of the board. “Although judging by that blonde he took home last night I don’t know when he’s likely to surface. Might want to pay him a visit yourself. You and her can compare notes.”

He grinned mockingly as she shifted on the spot before replacing her headphones in her ears. He’d definitely got a reaction out of her. “Stay out of trouble.” Grinning to himself he picked up his towel from the floor and watched as she left and continued her run up the beach ignoring him. “Yeah yeah.”

---------------------------------

Heath leant across the top of the bar as he watched Brax stock the shelves of alcohol in front of him. He was bored.

“Haven’t you got something better to do than loiter around here?”

Heath shuffled on the stool as Brax addressed him from across the bar. It had yet to open and he’d come in surprised to find his brother actually present and doing some work. Heath exhaled loudly.

“Jesus mate you sound like Buckton.”

Brax finished restocking the shelves and turned around confused as he began to refill the glass washer in front of him. “Eh?” Heath took a swig from a bottle of beer in front of him before replacing it down upon the bar. “I bumped into her at the beach this morning.” Brax continued to fill the glass washer as Heath continued. “She was looking pretty good. Gotta hand it to you mate. If she wasn’t a cop I might be tempted to go there myself.” At the mention of his last comment, Heath watched as Brax shot him a warning look before grabbing a handful of cutlery and making his way to the tables.

“She wasn’t really in the mood for light conversation. At least not with me. She needs to loosen up a bit.” Heath swallowed another large mouthful. “Should get her out on a surf board mate. Might help her relax a bit.” Brax continued to lay the tables as he glared at him from across the restaurant.

“You better not have wound her up.”

Heath smiled mockingly as he addressed Brax from his position at the bar. “Jesus, you’re not still on that one are you?” He watched as Brax made his way back towards him, opened another bottle of beer before placing it on the bar in front of him. “Spending your time winding up the cops will only get them on your back even more you idiot. Try keeping your mouth shut. You never know you may surprise yourself.”

Heath ignored the sarcastic overtone as he looked across at the clock behind the bar. It was 12.45pm and the place would be opening soon. “You in here tonight then? Thought I might bring a couple of the boys down.” He brought the bottle to his lips once again as his brother shot him a look from behind the bar. “I’ve got some business to sort out later. So no.” Heath smiled as Brax interrupted his momentary cheerfulness, “But that doesn’t mean you can use this place as an open house. You hear me?!” Heath grinned as Brax tapped his watch with his finger signalling that it was time for his brother to leave. Heath grimaced picking up his beer before making his way towards the exit. Brax switched on the music system before chucking over his car keys to Heath who was waiting at the top of the stairs. Heath caught them in one hand before making his way down the stairs.

“I mean it Heath!”

---------------

“Two coffees and a cheese baguette please Leah.”

Ruby leant on the counter at the diner as she watched the goings on of people around her. It was midday and she was on her lunch break from school. Casey had made his excuses and abandoned her so she’d had no excuse not to meet Charlie upon her ringing her to ask her what she was doing. Picking the two coffees up she smiled in gratitude as Leah said she’d bring the lunch over when it was ready.

Returning to their table she passed one of the coffees to Charlie. “Be careful it’s hot”. Charlie took it carefully, blew into it gently before taking a sip and placing it on the table. “So where’s Case?” Ruby grimaced as the hot liquid scalded the back of her throat before answering. “I dunno. He said something about nipping home to pick up a textbook and meeting Brax.” Charlie stiffened at the mention of his name. Heath’s words this morning had hit a nerve and she changed the subject quickly. “So do you fancy doing something tonight? Just me and you? It’s been ages since we’ve spent some quality time together and I’m off again tomorrow.”

Ruby swallowed quickly whilst trying to think of a quick excuse. It wasn’t that she had any aversion to spending time with Charlie. She didn’t. It’s just what with her recent mood swings and irritability she wasn’t sure that she could cope with a full evening of just the two of them. Surely they’d run out of things to talk about? She didn’t want to talk about her impending HSC. She was already stressing enough without Charlie making her feel worse and what with the recent fallout between Charlie and Brax, the Braxton name was pretty much out of bounds of late.

Opening her mouth to reply she was interrupted by the arrival of Bianca at the table. Charlie looked up from her coffee and smiled across at her friend who appeared quite flustered. “Mind if I join you? I’ve had a crappy morning and I need some normal conversation.” Bianca sat down dropping her bag on the floor before ordering a coffee from the waitress. “Some of the kids in that school I swear to God I could happily kill them.” She smiled apologetically momentarily forgetting Ruby’s presence at the table. Charlie laughed in agreement. “Bad day?” Bianca shook her head, thanking the waitress who had brought over her drink. “Oh nothing. Same old. You know how it is. What are you guys doing anyway?” Registering Charlie’s shorts and blouse she interjected, “You’re not in work today?” Charlie shook her head placing her coffee down upon the table yet again. “Luckily for me it’s my day off. Just met Rubes for a coffee before I head to the gym.”

Ruby got out her phone leaving the two women to engage in conversation. “Ah you’re off are you? Brilliant. Then you have no excuse not to join me in an evening of moaning and drinking. I could really do with a girly night.” Ruby looked up from her phone at the sudden change in conversation. Charlie swallowed her drink before looking in her direction. “Well I don’t know whether I can tonight. Ruby and I were just talking about…” Her sentence was cut short by her daughter swiftly interrupting her and looking over at a hopeful Bianca. “We weren’t talking about anything. She’d love to go out with you tonight. I have plans with Case so she’s all yours.” She smiled watching as Charlie shot her a less than impressed look from across the table. Bianca smiled gratefully, “Brilliant.”

They were interrupted by Leah’s presence at the table with Ruby’s sandwich. “Why do I sense I am missing out on something here?” Bianca took a mouthful of the coffee before addressing Leah. “I’ve just persuaded Charlie to join me in an evening of heavy drinking and gossiping at Angelo’s tonight if you fancy it?” Ruby looked across at Charlie at the mention of the restaurant. She shifted uncomfortably in her seat. Bianca hadn’t made any mention of going to Angelo’s. Forcing a smile she looked across at Leah as she seconded Bianca’s plan on the basis that she wouldn’t be accused of being boring in light of her no drinking. Bianca smiled, looking at her watch before quickly grabbing her bag and coffee before standing up. “Crap I’m going to be late. That’s all sorted then. Say 8ish? I’ll meet you both there.” Charlie forced a smile in agreement as Leah made her excuses and Bianca left the diner to return to school.

That was a great chapter! I wonder if Charlie believes Heath's little lie about the blonde girl Brax took home (that was a lie, no?). I can't wait to see how that girl's night out plays out at Angelo's. I bet there will be some awkward scenes! Thank you so much for this, I love this story and I can't wait to read more... please update soon.

Archived