In the Line of Sight

Guest Red Ranger 1

Obviously on a huge roll, since in addition to updating Where the Heart Lies I've managed to double my workload by starting this one.Hope you enjoy it.

Story Title: In the Line of Sight

Type of story: Long fic

Main Characters: Miles, Rabbit, Gypsy, Lily, Nicole, Lucas, Xavier, April, Romeo, Alf and others

BTTB rating: T/A

Genre: Drama

Does story include spoilers: Very slight spoiler for non-Aus viewers

Any warnings: Sexual content:Moderate.Violence:None.Language:None.

Summary: When Miles comes across Rabbit again, six months after her last visit, he thinks he understands the rules.But this time something's different...

Sequel to A Voice in My Ear.

CHAPTER 1

As Miles turned over the items being grilled on the barbeque, he couldn’t help noticing that the people dotted around the caravan park seemed a lot happier and more relaxed than they had been at the barbeque they’d had six months previous.He glanced over at Nicole and Lucas, both of whom were clearly as besotted with her baby as they were with each other, given the way they were cooing over him.Romeo had invited Xavier and April along and, although they were spending a fair amount of time holding hands and kissing, they were making an effort to include him in their talk.Even Alf was locked in conversation with Colleen, who had somehow managed to wander over to the party and join in, although she seemed to be doing most of the talking while he looked around for an escape route.

Miles felt Gypsy put her arms round his waist.“You seem to have that in hand,”she remarked, nodding at his cooking.

“Yep, got it down to a fine art,”he confirmed.

“Good.Then you won’t mind if I distract you for a moment.”She kissed him lightly on the lips.

Gypsy’s daughter Lily and her friend VJ watched from nearby.“I hate it when they do that,”Lily sighed.

VJ nodded.“There should be a law against old people kissing in public.”

Miles broke away from Gypsy and raised his voice.“Food’s up!”he called,“Come and eat it before I do!”

Gypsy gave him an affectionate smile.

There was a general rush in the direction of the barbeque.Alf popped one of the sausages into a roll and took a bite out of it before patting Miles on the shoulder.“Mate, you have finally learned to make a decent sanger.”

Colleen looked at the charcoaled offerings with noticeably less enthusiasm.“I,er, think I’ll stick to the salad, thank you.”

“So how long can you stay for?”Nicole asked Lucas.

Lucas checked his watch.“Well, Auntie Gina’s expecting me back for tea.”Since he’d decided to settle in Summer Bay permanently, he’d moved out of the caravan park and in with his family.

“You can come if you want,”Xavier suggested to her,“April’s coming, I’m sure Mum won’t mind one more.”

Nicole shook her head.“No, I’ve got Ben to look after.Can’t really drag him out there.Thanks for the offer though.”

“Less talking more eating!”Miles called, before popping a piece of his kebab into a smiling Gypsy’s mouth.

Everyone else had gone inside, leaving Miles to finish the clearing up.He was halfway through cleaning out the inside of the barbeque when he saw her, standing in the middle of the park, looking straight at him with her usual air of amusement.

He put his cleaning cloth down and walked over to her.“Hello, Rabbit.”

She grinned at him.“Surprise.”

“What are you doing back here?”

Her expression became serious.“Listen carefully.I am going to tell you everything that’s going to happen in the next few weeks and it is vital to the survival of the entire town that you remember every word.”She broke into a smile.“Nah, only joking.Guess we’ll figure it out as we go along.”

He sighed.Rabbit being cryptic and mysterious was something he’d had a lot of time to get used to.“Well, it’s good to see you anyway.”

“Hi, Miles!”Nicole called behind him.

Miles spun round, seeing Nicole, Gypsy and Romeo walking up behind him.How much had they seen? Had he appeared to be talking to thin air?“Er, hi!”he replied hastily,“I wasn’t doing anything.”

Rabbit rolled her eyes.“Yeah, way to look suspicious.”

Nicole smiled.“So, who’s that you were talking to?”

“No-one,”Miles replied quickly,“Myself.”

“No, the little girl,”Gypsy explained.

Miles blinked, confused.“What little girl?”

Romeo pointed to Rabbit.“That little girl.The one with the brown hair.”

Miles turned to look at Rabbit.She looked as confused as he felt.He turned back to the others.“Huh?”

Thanks for all the comments, glad people liked the start.Here's another chapter for you.

CHAPTER 2

Rabbit sat on a high-backed chair in the middle of the caravan park house’s front room.

Alf, Miles, Gypsy, Romeo, Nicole and Lily stood lined up in front of her.

None of them quite knew what to say.

Rabbit fidgeted under the sudden attention.“Stop staring at me,”she said at last.

“Sorry, love,”Alf replied,“We’re just…not used to seeing you.”

Gypsy leaned close to Romeo.“Who is she?”

“Miles’ imaginary friend.”

Gypsy thought about this for a moment.“But we can see her.”

“Yeah.That’s why we’re staring.”

“You’ve got to admit, this is quite unprecedented,”Miles told Rabbit.

“You’re telling me,”she agreed,“No-one told me about this.”

“Well, I guess I get to thank you in person for saving me and Ben,”Nicole told her.

“Yeah-and thanks for saving my shop,”Alf added.

Rabbit looked hard at Romeo.“What?”he asked.

“You were trapped down a mineshaft and nearly drowned?”

He looked at her, confused.“You got Miles there for that?”She nodded slowly.“Oh.Thanks.”

Rabbit gave a yawn and stretched in an exaggered manner.“Well, all this being the centre of attention is rather tiring.Can I have a lie down somewhere?”

“Yeah, sure,”Miles agreed,“Lily, can you show Rabbit the spare room?”

“I have been here before,”Rabbit argued.She noticed Lily shy away from her slightly and her face softened.“I’ve probably forgotten.”

Lily smiled.“I’ll show you.”

The two girls hurried upstairs.

Everyone else was silent for several seconds until Romeo spoke.“So, if I imagine seeing a girl-you know, one a bit older and hotter…would she become real as well?”

Gypsy sat down next to Miles on the couch.He slipped his arm round her shoulder and she rested her head against him.“I’m guessing today didn’t go quite as you planned,”she commented.

“It was all a bit of a surprise,”Miles agreed.

“So is there a story behind this Rabbit?”

“She’s turned up a couple of times now.At least, as far as I’m concerned she has.No-one else has ever seen her before.Doctors thought I was crazy the first time and…actually, I am sounding a lot like a crazy person.I’m putting you off, aren’t I?”

“No, no.”Gypsy shifted slightly against him.“It’s good that you’re different.”

Miles rolled his eyes.“Different?Oh great.That usually comes right before ‘I love you but as a friend’ or ‘Wow, Miles, you’re just like one of the girls’ or ‘It’s okay, I’ve got a cousin who’s gay’…You’re gonna say we should just be friends, aren’t you?”

Gypsy pressed her lips against his in an impassioned and decidedly non-platonic kiss.“Convinced?”He nodded, not quite able to get his mouth to form coherent speech.“Good.”She kissed him again.

“Nicole’s decided to eat with young Lucas after all!”Alf announced loudly as he came in from outside, causing them to spring apart and straighten their clothes like a couple of guilty teenagers,“And Romeo’s walking her down there.Which just leaves us with one kid to worry about.”

Miles shrugged.“Rabbit’s no trouble.Just give her a carrot once in a while and listen to her cryptic prophecies and she’ll be fine.”

Alf looked at him with a certain amount of horror.“Miles, we can’t keep her!”

“No-one’s ever minded before.”

“No-one’s ever seen her before!”

“Come on, Alf,”Gypsy interceded,“What else are you going to do with her?”

“Don’t you think people are going to notice that there’s suddenly a little girl living here?”

Miles sighed.“Look, I’ll call Human Services, tell them we found her in the caravan park and we’re happy to have her stay until they find out where she comes from.Which will probably take them a while.”

Alf gave a resigned look.“Fine.I’ll set an extra place at the table then.”

Rabbit and Lily were sat on the bed in the small spare room.“Shouldn’t you be lying down if you’re tired?” Lily asked.

Rabbit shook her head.“No, I’m bursting with energy now.”She clambered up onto the bed and started jumping on it.“See?”

Lily looked at her worried.“Are you meant to be doing that?”

“Hey, never argue with a rabbit.”She grabbed Lily’s hands and pulled her to her feet.“Come on, it’s fun!”

Lily started jumping up and down as well and soon had a smile on her face.“It is kinda cool,”she admitted.

Rabbit looked around.“Cool room.”

Lily nodded.“I sleep in here when Mum and Miles are having one of their sleepovers.”

Rabbit stopped her jumping and stared at her.“You mean the two of them don’t..?”

“No,”Miles interrupted hastily from the doorway, drawing out the “o” sound a good second longer than he should have done.He gestured to Lily.“Your mum’s ready to go home now.”

Lily nodded and clambered down.“Sorry about the bouncing,”she said as she passed Miles.

“That’s okay,”he told her,“I know she’s hard to say no to.”

Rabbit climbed down off the bed, waiting for Lily to leave before looking at Miles in frustration.“I gave you everything you needed and you still haven’t got them to move in with you?”

“They’re staying with Irene,”Miles explained,“We’re dating, we’re…”

“Please don’t tell me you’re having S-E-X, it’s bad enough you grew the beard.”

Miles glared at her.“We’re taking things slowly.”

Rabbit sighed and patted him on the arm.“You are so lucky that I’m back here.”

Thanks for all your comments, hope you like this one.

CHAPTER 3

“This…is…a nightmare.”Rabbit was standing in the front room of the caravan park.Wearing a Summer Bay High school uniform.

“You want to be a real girl, you have to look the part,”Miles told her,“And obey the same rules as everyone else.”

“This is revenge for all those chess games you lost, isn’t it?”Rabbit looked down at her outfit again.“I mean, seriously, white socks?What am I, eight?”

“You’re a Summer Bay High School student.And that, my friend, is what they wear.”

Rabbit sighed.“Being a real girl sucks.”

Lily came running in.“I’m here!”

“And people say I point out the obvious.”

“Given that you’re gonna be in Year 7 with Lily, I suggested she walk in with you,”Miles explained.

Rabbit glanced round as Romeo and Nicole entered and grabbed Romeo’s hand.“Can’t Blondie here walk us in?”

“I’m, ah, heading to the Diner first,”Romeo explained awkwardly.

Rabbit fluttered her eyelashes at him.“Please?We’re just two defenceless little girls in a town full of psychos and weirdos.”

“How about we all go to the Diner?”Nicole suggested,“Then it won’t just be you and your fan club, Blondie.”

Romeo suddenly found he had both Rabbit and Lily holding his hands.He gave a sigh of resignation. “Okay, let’s go.”

“You can let Romeo go now,”Nicole told the girls as they arrived at the Diner.

Rabbit complied with a great show of reluctance, Lily doing the same.“Spoilsport,”Rabbit complained.

Dexter was over at the counter, chatting to Indi, when he spotted the group.He headed over to them.“Now what have we here?A new inmate at the prison of despair and darkness?”

“That’s right,”Rabbit confirmed,“I’m going to be the new top dog.”

Dexter froze, staring at her.“Say ‘Do you want to be a hero?’”

Rabbit looked confused.“Do you want to be a hero?”

Dexter turned to Nicole, gesturing at Rabbit in excitement.“It’s her!Our daughter!”

Nicole looked at him in confusion.“Huh?”

“The girl!The one who phoned me and told me you were in trouble!Our daughter from the future!”

“Oh,”Rabbit realised,“I’d forgotten about that.”

Nicole sighed.“Dexter…this is Rabbit.”

Dexter thought for a moment, dragging the information up from the back of his brain.“That girl Mr. Copeland started seeing back when he was crazy?”

“That’s the one,”Romeo confirmed,“Only turns out we’ll all crazy.”

“It’s very confusing,”Lily agreed.

“Huh.”Dexter looked at Rabbit.“Pleased to meet you, imaginary future girl.”

“Pleased to meet you too, Dad.”

Romeo, Dexter, Rabbit and Lily arrived at the school together.Romeo noticed Xavier and April over by their locker.“I’ll see you guys later,”he told his companions before hurrying over to join the pair.

“Does he always do that?”Rabbit asked.

“Most of the time,”Lily admitted.

“We never get to hang out with the cool kids,”Dexter sighed.

“Well…keep watching,”Rabbit replied and skipped over to the group,“Nice to see you guys are still together!”

“Um, thanks,”April accepted, putting an arm round Xavier.

“Oh, yeah, you as well but I meant these two.”She pointed to Romeo and Xavier.

Romeo glared at her.“Rabbit, can’t you just hop off?”

“You didn’t mind me hanging out with you when you couldn’t see me.”

“Ask yourself why that is.”

“So is this the famous Rabbit?”Xavier asked,“Mum said you were joining us.”

Rabbit nodded.“Actually, you ought to thank me, you two wouldn’t be together if it wasn’t for me.And I meant April this time.”

Xavier thought for a moment then his mouth dropped open.“That note?That was you?”

“What’s this?”April asked.

Xavier hesitated.“Do girls get cross is they find out a boy took advice about them from another girl?”

“Yes.”

“Right.I didn’t do that.”He looked at Rabbit, who seemed to be waiting expectantly.“Thanks.”

“Are you finished?”Romeo asked her.

Rabbit nodded, a big grin on her face.“Yep, I’m done annoying you for now.See you later!”

Thanks for all the comments, hope you like this one.

CHAPTER 4

Nicole lifted Ben’s pram into the surf club and pushed him towards the door of the gym.She was gratified to see Lucas there, collecting up the used towels and offering occasional advice to some of the clients.He smiled when he saw her and headed over to them.“What are you doing here?”

“Well, we were out for a walk and Mister here decided he wanted to come and see you.”

Lucas bent over Ben’s pram.“Oh, well, I’m pleased to see you.”Ben gurgled happily in response.

“Any chance of you knocking off early?”Nicole asked.

Lucas looked up at the clock.“Can’t see Uncle John agreeing to that.I’ll be done in ten minutes though. Can we head back to your place?”

“No, I think Miles and Gypsy were settling into having alone time when we left.What about your place?”

“Double no on that front.If it’s not Xavier and April, it’s Auntie Gina and Uncle John and that’s something we really don’t want Ben to see.Or us, come to think of it.”

Nicole sighed.“I miss your caravan.Your caravan was nice.We had some good times in there.”

“Well, I guess we could always hire it out for the afternoon…”

“I just wish there was somewhere the two of us could be alone together.”She was interrupted by an offended sounding gurgle from the pram.“Sorry, Ben, three of us.”

Lucas put a consoling hand on her shoulder.“Look, when I’m a famous author and you’re a famous designer, we’ll get a big mansion with swimming pools and robot butlers and have all the alone time we want.”He checked the clock.“Provided I don’t get fired first.”

Nicole smiled and nodded towards the juice bar.“Okay.We’ll just wait over there.”

“What do you think of the school?”Lily asked as she and Rabbit walked back through the caravan park.

Rabbit looked grumpy.“I kept getting told to stop talking.”

“Well, you do talk quite a bit…”

“See, now you’re making fun of me.People aren’t meant to make fun of me, I’m meant to make fun of them.”She sighed deeply.“It’s no fun when they answer back.”

Lily wasn’t entirely sure how to respond to this.“Sorry.”

Rabbit linked arms with her.“On the other hand, it’s nice to have a friend who isn’t Miles.I don’t think he ever appreciated how brilliant I am.”

Lily smiled at her.“You’re brilliant,”she agreed with a heavy dose of irony.

“And you are very smart.”They reached the house and went inside, to the sight of Miles and Gypsy kissing on the couch.Rabbit rolled her eyes.“You’re doing this on purpose, aren’t you?”

The pair disentangled themselves, broad grins on their faces.“Is it my fault that gorgeous women find me irresistible?”Miles asked.Gypsy hit him on the arm.“You object to being called gorgeous?”

“I object to you being called irresistible.”Gypsy smiled at Lily.“Hey, sweetie, how was your day?”

Lily sat down next to her.“Okay.Rabbit nearly got a detention.”

“I did not nearly get a detention!”Rabbit protested,“I had a frank exchange of views.”

“With a teacher?”asked Gypsy.

“With the caretaker,”Lily replied.

“Ah yes, I heard about that,”Miles confirmed,“Something about you trying to convince him to cut a hedge in the shape of a rabbit?”

“It was a valid artistic expression,”Rabbit protested,“It’s not my fault everyone around here’s a philistine.”

“Well, for being so creative, you can help make dinner.”Miles hopped off the couch and headed into the kitchen.

Rabbit joined him, nodding over to Gypsy and Lily curled up on the couch.“Are they staying?”

“For dinner?Yeah.”

“And for a bit longer than dinner?Just wondering if we’re both going to be sharing our rooms tonight?”

“Rabbit…have a carrot.”Miles held the vegetable out to her.

Rabbit shot him a withering look.“I suppose you think that’s funny?”

Thanks for all the comments, hope you like this one.

CHAPTER 5

“Right, you two,”Alf declared as he led Rabbit and Lily into the bait shop,“Don’t upset the customers and don’t upset the containers.”He gestured to Ruby, who was behind the counter.“She’s in charge.”

“Woah, hang on,”Rabbit protested,“I thought you were in charge.”

“Nope, I’m the boss.”Alf took his fishing rod and a bucketful of bait from the back of the shop.“Which means I get to relax while you do all the work.All right with you, Ruby?”

“No problems, Mr.Stewart,”Ruby agreed with a grin,“I’ll soon whip them into shape.”

“Right.Don’t take any nonsense from either of them.”Alf pointed to Rabbit.“Especially that one.”Rabbit gave him a look of shocked innocence.“See youse all later.”

Rabbit sighed.“Well, this was a waste of time.”

Lily was leaning on the counter in front of Ruby, a happy smile on her face.“So what do you want us to do?”

“Well, you could start by checking the hire rods in the back, making sure they’re not tangled up.Careful not to prick yourself though!”Ruby stopped Rabbit as she went to follow Lily through to the back.“You’re the girl who can see the future, right?”

“Sort of…”

“What happens to me then?”

Rabbit stared ahead for a moment, as though seeing something Ruby couldn’t.“You meet a tall handsome stranger, fall in love with him, get married and have six children.”

“Really?”

“No, I made it up.Might still happen though, if you try really hard.”Rabbit thought for a moment.“Just not too hard.”She joined Lily in the back room.

Lily was sorting through the rods.“Do you not want to be here?”

“Are you kidding?”Rabbit replied,“Being surrounded by smelly bait and smelly fishermen?It’s my lifelong dream.”She paused.“That was sarcasm, by the way.”

“I know.Miles uses it all the time.Why are you here then?”

“I just…had this feeling I should come here.”

Lily looked at her curiously.“Is that you being enigmatic?Miles says you do that as well.”

Rabbit sighed.“Got to stop him talking about me.He’s spoiling all my tricks.”

In the main part of the shop, Ruby smiled as Liam and Bianca entered.“We don’t see you in here very often.”

“We fancied doing something different for a change,”Liam explained.

“I think he liked the fact we can go off to a secluded spot somewhere,”Bianca added.

“It has its advantages.”

“Well, my two assistants here will be glad to help you,”Ruby told them as Rabbit and Lily came running in.

“Hi, Mr.Murphy, Miss Scott,”Lily greeted them.

“Hey, Lily,”Liam replied.

Bianca looked at Rabbit.“Do I know you from somewhere?”

“She’s just started at school,”Lily explained.

Liam clicked his fingers.“Rabbit, right?The girl with the light bulb fetish.”

Rabbit sighed.“Everyone’s got their Rabbit story.”

“So, what do you recommend for us?”

“Because I’m psychic I have to know everything?”

Lily dashed into the back and retrieved a rod, which she held out to Liam.“My dad always used to use one like this.”

Liam took it from her with a smile.“Well, if it’s good enough for your dad, it’s good enough for me.We’ll take two of these and some bait.”

Ruby typed into the cash register.“Two rods and some standard bait, plus a $10 deposit refundable when you return the rods, makes $25.49, please.”

Rabbit noticed Lily sloping off into the back and followed her.“Do you miss your dad?”she asked.

Lily shrugged.“Sometimes.But we still get to see him sometimes and I like living here.”

“Okay, don’t bite my head off but I’ve got a suggestion…”

Miles was chopping vegetables for dinner.Rabbit glanced over to where Gypsy and Lily were setting the table and nudged him.Miles made a great show of fumbling the knife.“Are you trying to lose me a finger?” he demanded.

Rabbit ignored him, nodding over to the pair.“Ask her.”

Miles considered for a moment.“After dinner.”

Ask her,”Rabbit insisted, pushing him in the direction of the pair.

“You can be really pushy sometimes,”he complained.He raised his voice slightly.“Gypsy?”

She looked round.“Yes?”

Miles opened his mouth.No sound came out.“Nothing,”he managed at last and turned away.Rabbit shot him a look and turned him back round to face her.“I just wanted to ask you something,”he continued.

Gypsy stood in front of him.“Okay.”

“It’s about you.And me.And Lily and Rabbit.And Alf and Nicole and Romeo, I guess…”

“Get on with it,”Rabbit complained.

“Not helping,”Miles replied without looking round.

“Sorry…”

“It’s about the fact that you’ve been staying over quite a bit, you and Lily,”Miles continued,“and that’s been going well so…”He took a deep breath.“Do you want to move in here?”

Gypsy hesitated.“Well…”

“Oh, go on, Mum, please let’s!”begged Lily.

Gypsy looked at her and smiled before turning back to Miles.“I’d love to.”

Rabbit gave Miles a knowing look.“See?That wasn’t so hard.”

Thanks for the comments, hope you like this one.

CHAPTER 6

Lucas and Nicole woke up simultaneously, the sound of crying from Ben’s cot forcing them into wakefulness.Nicole clambered out of bed and hurried over to him, scooping him up in her arms.“There, there,”she said quietly,“It’s all right.”

Lucas was rubbing his eyes, still half asleep.“Is he okay?”

“He’s fine.I think he just woke up and didn’t know where we were.”

“He doesn’t need feeding or anything?”

“No, I think he just wants some attention.”She stroke Ben’s face gently.“Don’t you, hey?Worried Mummy had gone off somewhere?”

“He’s five months old, when does he stop waking us up in the middle of the night?”

“When he leaves home and goes to college, I guess.”

“Is he all right?”asked Rabbit as she came into their bedroom, a dressing gown draped over her pyjamas.

Nicole stared at her in astonishment.“Rabbit!This is our bedroom, you can’t just wander in here!”

“Why not?I heard him crying, I figured you wouldn’t be having sex or something while that was going on.”Rabbit sat down on the bed next to Nicole and looked at Ben.“Babies are really ugly, aren’t they?”

“Not when they’re your own.”

“Well, I can see why you’d think he was cute.He’s not as cute as me, though.”

“Do you want a hold?”

Rabbit considered this.“Yeah, okay.”

“All right, cross your arms and get your hand ready to support his head.”Nicole passed him into Rabbit’s grasp.“There you go, Ben.That’s your Auntie Rabbit.”

Ben stayed in Rabbit’s arms for precisely two seconds before he started crying again.Rabbit hastily handed him back to Nicole.“I think he likes it better with you.”

Lucas clambered out from under the covers and sat on Nicole’s other side.“He’s got good taste.Haven’t you, little fella?”He placed his finger in Ben’s grip, letting the baby hold onto him for added comfort.

“You didn’t have to get up as well,”Nicole told him.

Lucas shrugged.“Can’t exactly sleep with a rabbit sitting on the bed.”

“I could get very insulted round her,”Rabbit complained.

Lily came in.“Rabbit, we’re not allowed in here!”

“Turns out we’re having a slumber party,”Lucas told her.

“But just this once,”Nicole told them warningly.

Lily came over and sat next to Rabbit.She looked at Ben.“Is he meant to look like that?”

“Don’t worry, kid,”Lucas told him,“They don’t mean it.”

Nicole attempted to stifle a yawn without much success as she headed downstairs the next morning.She was greeted with the sight of Rabbit in the kitchen, happily making breakfast.The girl smiled at her cheerily.“Morning!”

“Morning,”Nicole managed tiredly.

“Didn’t you get any sleep?”

“You know I didn’t,”Nicole reminded her,“What about you, don’t you need sleep or something?”

“Well, I haven’t done in the past.I made you some cereal.”She noticed Nicole’s curious look and shrugged.“Okay, I put it on the table.”

“Well, thank you.”Nicole pulled up a seat and poured herself some cereal, adding milk to it.Rabbit sat down next to her, resting her head on her hands and staring at her.“What?”Nicole demanded.

“I think you need to talk to the rabbit.”

“About what?”

“About why you aren’t getting any sleep.”

“Well…because I’ve got a new baby.”

Rabbit considered this.“I think you’ve got a problem.”

“Like?”

“Like having rabbits walk in on you in the middle of the night.”

“Well, there’s a way to fix that, isn’t there?”Nicole looked at Rabbit’s piercing gaze and sighed.“I guess… I guess it’s not ideal, all of us living here, Ben in with me.Lucas and I have talked about getting our own place but…”

Rabbit patted her hand.“Leave it to Auntie Rabbit.”

Nicole looked at her sceptically.“Just like that?”

“Hey, have I ever let you down?”Rabbit saw Nicole start to answer.“They call that a rhetorical question.”

Thank you for the comments, everyone!Here's a short one to get on with.

CHAPTER 7

Miles led Rabbit and Lily into the Diner.“You decided what you want yet?”he asked them.

“Are you sure about this?”Lily asked.

“Hey, I said I’d shout you lunch.Just try and pick something that includes ingredients other than sugar. And chocolate.”

“What can I get you?”asked Leah as they arrived at the counter.

“I’ll have a strawberry milkshake please,”Rabbit decided.

“I’ll have a strawberry milkshake please,”Miles echoed.

“And a cheese and ham roll.”

“And a cheese and ham roll.”

Leah looked from one to the other in bemusement.“I can actually hear her, you know.”

“Yes,”Miles agreed,“Sorry.Habit.”

“I’ll have an orange juice and a slice of carrot cake,”Lily added.

“And you?”Leah asked Miles.

“Ah, cup of coffee and a triple chocolate muffin.”He noticed Rabbit’s expression.“I’m an adult.The rules are different.Just…find a table and sit down.”

Rabbit and Lily went over to a nearby table.“You’ve got your thoughtful expression on,”Lily noted.

“I’m meant to be helping Nicole,”Rabbit explained.

“Why are you helping Nicole?She’s a lot older than us.”

“It’s what I do, okay?”Rabbit thought for a moment.“There is one thing I can do but…”

“Hi there,”VJ greeted them as he suddenly appeared at their table.

Lily smiled at him.“Hi.Um, do you want to sit with us?”

“Nah, I’d better go and see my mum.See you at school!”

Rabbit looked from the departing figure of VJ to the expression on Lily’s face and gave her a knowing look.“You like him.”

“No I don’t,”Lily argued.

“You so do.I know the signs.”

Lily looked worried.“You won’t tell him, will you?”

Rabbit shrugged.“You should ask him out.”

Lily didn’t seem at all convinced.“You think?”

“Hey, I know about these things.You think Xavier and April would have got their act together if it wasn’t for me?”

April lay on her front on her bed, looking up information on her laptop.Xavier came in, carrying two plates with sandwiches on.“Here,”he offered April, putting the plate down next to her.

“Thanks,”she replied without looking round.She picked up the sandwich and began eating it, her attention still focused on the screen.

Xavier sighed and sat down on the bed as he devoured his own sandwich.“You know, when I said we should have lunch together, I didn’t mean I’d make it and you’d eat it and we wouldn’t talk.”

April paused, thinking this over.“I’m being a rubbish girlfriend,”she decided at last.She closed down the laptop and put it down on the floor before sitting back on her haunches.

Xavier put his arms around her waist and rubbed his nose gently against us.“You are not a rubbish girlfriend,”he assured her.He started kissing her softly.

She responded to the kiss, loosening his school tie and pulling it up over his head.She began unbuttoning his shirt and removing it as she lay back on the bed, pulling him down on top of her.“We’re still not talking,”she pointed out between kisses.

“Maybe this is not such a good idea,”Xavier suggested, although he was still removing her school dress.

“Seriously?”

“Well, we’ve only got ten minutes.”

“Okay, now you’re just showing off.”

Thanks for all the comments!We seem to have had another explosion of fictions, this'll probably be on the second page tomorrow morning.Hope you like this chapter.

CHAPTER 8

Gypsy placed her bags on the floor of the caravan park with a sigh of relief.“Well, that’s the last of them.”

“So does that mean you’re officially moved in?”asked Rabbit.

“I guess it does.”

“Well, about time too.”

“We should do something together as a family to celebrate,”Miles suggested.

“Ah, can you wait until later?”VJ asked.

Miles hadn’t really thought about what VJ was doing there but his presence, and the fact he was holding Lily’s hand, suddenly stood out.“Am I missing something?”

“We were just planning to go and have a milkshake together,”VJ explained.

“‘We’ as in you and Lily?”Gypsy asked, also beginning to cotton on to what was happening.

Lily gave her a smile.“Don’t wait up!”she called as the two of them hurried out.

Miles and Gypsy looked at Rabbit.“Did you have anything to do with this?”Miles asked.

Rabbit shrugged.“What can I say?I just like spreading the love.”

“Are you sure Lily’s old enough for that?”Gypsy asked.

“Think about what you were like at that age.”

“Yeah, that’s kinda what’s worrying me…”

“Well, I’d love to stop and chat but I’ve got other people to help!See you later!”Rabbit skipped out of the house with a smile.

Miles put an arm round Gypsy’s shoulder as they watched her leave.“Why am I suddenly very worried?”

“You probably should be.”Gypsy turned her head to look at him.“We do have the place to ourselves, though.”

Miles considered this for a few seconds.“Let’s go,”he declared, dragging her towards the stairs.

Dexter was sitting at a table at the Diner, perfecting the fine art of drinking a cup of coffee whilst surfing the internet on a laptop when he became aware that someone was standing next to him.He turned round and found himself face to face with Rabbit, practising her innocent look.“Hi, Dad,”she greeted him.

“Hi, Imaginary Future Girl,”he responded.

“I need your help.”

Dexter felt suddenly apprehensive.“Uh-huh?”

“It’s to do with Mum.”

Dexter sighed.“Okay.What do I need to do this time?”

“Follow me.And bring the laptop.”

Dexter had set up the laptop on the kitchen table at the farm while Rabbit hovered at his shoulder.“Are you sure this is a good idea?”he asked.

Rabbit shrugged.“She’ll thank us for it.”

“Okay.”He began typing.“Flats that two young people and a baby can afford.”He pressed Enter and read the response.“No results.That’s the property market for you.”

“Try something else.”

“Okay, okay, don’t rush me.Genius at work.”

“There’s only room for one genius in this partnership.”

“And you think the position’s taken?”

“You know, you make Miles’ thought processes seem linear.”

Dexter sighed and went back to his typing.“Flats that cost under $500 a month.”He pressed Return.“Ah, here’s one.In Queensland.”

“Maybe a bit nearer than that?”Rabbit suggested.

“In Summer Bay,”Dexter added before trying the search again.“And we may have a candidate.”

Rabbit looked over his shoulder.“Is that in the rough part of town?”

“This is Summer Bay.We don’t have a rough part of town.Or maybe it’s all the rough part of town…”

“Okay.So, problem solved.”

Dexter looked at her, bemused.“How is the problem solved?Nicole and Lucas can’t move in there just because we’ve looked at a picture of it on the internet.”

“Okay then…we’ll rent it for them.”

“No-one is going to rent a flat to a kid and a rabbit.”

Rabbit considered again.“We need adult help.Come on.”

Dexter groaned.“We’re not going back to town, are we?”

“The walk’ll do you good.Come on!”

Thank you for all your comments.Hope you like this one.

CHAPTER 9

Rabbit marched into the caravan park house, Dexter just behind her, and found the person she was looking for munching on a sandwich in the kitchen.“Miles, we need your help,”she told him.

Miles paused in mid-chew.“Can I finish my lunch first?”he asked.

“No.”She sat down on a stool opposite him, while Dexter hovered behind her, holding a laptop to his chest.“It’s like this,”she explained,“The population of this house is currently three old people, two young people, one baby, one high school kid and one Rabbit.”

“Not sure if Gypsy would like being called ‘old people’.Or me, for that matter.But go on.”

“We have a plan to cut that nearly in half.”

“How?”

“We’re going to hire a hitman.Or we could find them somewhere else to live.”

Miles digested this.“Who did you have in mind?”

“Nicole, Lucas and little Ben,”Dexter provided,“For the living somewhere else, not for the hitman.”

“And where’s the somewhere else?”

Dexter placed the laptop on the kitchen table.“A dedicated search through the country’s archives has unearthed the existence of a flat that is ideal for the purpose we require,”he explained, in a tone of voice which implied he was imparting a vital state secret,“I will now show you the details of this location.”

“Or we could just pop down the road and have a look at the real thing,”Rabbit added.

“Okay,”Miles agreed,“Let’s do that.”

Dexter looked pained.“More walking?”

“It’s important to view it in the proper context,”Rabbit replied,“Then, when you see that I’m right, you can talk to the guy about renting it and we can surprise them.”

Dexter gestured to his laptop.“Did I actually need to bring this?”

“No,”Rabbit replied,“But you seemed to be having so much fun carrying it I didn’t want to stop you.”

Dexter sighed.“I’m just your witless foil, aren’t I?”

Rabbit patted him on the back.“At last you understand your purpose in life.”

“Thanks for helping out anyway,”Miles put in as they headed towards the door.

“Anything for the future mother of my child,”Dexter replied,“Or do I mean the mother of my future child?”

“Actually, I don’t think you mean either.”

Rabbit had a smile on her face as she walked back to the house.She’d left Miles discussing details with a realtor and Dexter hovering nearby wondering if he was redundant.Another job well done.

She paused as she noticed April sitting on a bench on her own.Something told her that something was wrong.She walked closer and saw April wipe a hand across her eyes, trying to hide the tears.

Rabbit sat down on the bench, not too close, not too far away.“What’s up?”

“Nothing,”April claimed, the slight catch in her voice giving the lie to her words.

“So why are you crying?”

“I’m not.”

“Are too.”Rabbit fixed her with a determined look.“Talk to the rabbit.I’m a good listener.”

“Everything’s just…so messed up.”April took a deep breath.“I’m pregnant.”

Rabbit found herself taking a deep breath as well.“Wow.That’s big.”

“I know.I feel like I’m in one of those films they show in Sex Ed class, where the girl’s sitting there crying and saying it can’t happen to her.”

“Okay, pretending that I know what you were just talking about, how long have you known?”

April checked her watch.“About half an hour.I was late, I took a test, it came up butter side down and I came out here.Didn’t want Bianca or Irene to see me.”

“So, have you told Blondie Junior yet?I mean, he’s the father, right?”

April looked affronted.“Yes!”

Rabbit held up her hands.“Hey, don’t shoot the rabbit!To assume makes an ass of you and me.So, are you going to tell him?”

“Guess I’ll have to.”

“He’ll probably be okay with it.His heart’s in the right place even if his brain is a couple of inches too far to the right.”

April gave a reluctant smile.“Guess we’ll have to wait and see.”

Thank you for all the comments, hope you like this one.

CHAPTER 10

“Are we nearly there yet?”Nicole complained, as she climbed the stairs, unsure of exactly where the stairs were as a result of having Rabbit’s hands over her eyes.

“Few more steps,”Rabbit told her,“No peeping.”

“This had better be worth it.”

“It will be,”Miles promised her, keeping Lucas’ eyes covered as he manoeuvred him along next to Nicole.

“You promise?”

“Hey, trust your rabbit,”Rabbit told her.They reached the top of the stairs.“Are Ben’s eyes covered too?”

“Rabbit!”Nicole complained.

“Well, it’s a surprise for him too.”

“I don’t think we’ll hear the end of this otherwise,”Lucas told her.

“Fine.”Nicole shifted her hand to cover Ben’s eyes as he rested in her arms, oblivious to what was going on.

“And…surprise!”Rabbit pushed open the door in front of them and she and Miles let Lucas and Nicole see where they were.

The flat was spacious and fully furnished, a lush sofa and two chairs, a TV set and various cabinets and ornaments.They could see the kitchen behind it and doors to bedroom and bathroom leading off to the sides.Dexter was standing in the middle of the room, striking a pose that was meant to be dramatic but mostly looked like he was about to break into a dance routine.“Ta-da!”he announced.

Nicole gasped.“What is this place?”

“It’s your lurve nest!”Dexter declared.Four pairs of eyes stared at him.“Or…whatever you want to call it,” he added sheepishly.

Lucas had hurried over to the window.“Hey, we’re by the wharf!”he realised,“I know this place.”

“Is this really ours?”Nicole asked.

Miles gestured to some papers on the table.“If you want it.Just sign here.We’ve already agreed the terms and I’ve offered to go guarantor.”

Nicole checked the figures.“Can we afford this?”

Lucas was looking over her shoulder.“Yeah…yeah, we can!”He looked up.“Thanks, Miles.”

“Hey, I just dotted the i’s and crossed the t’s.Rabbit and Dexter found it for you.”

“Thanks, Rabbit,”Nicole said, hugging the girl.She hugged Dexter.“Thanks, Dex.”

Dexter tried to look nonchalant.“Oh, you can thank me whenever you want.”Lucas clapped him on the shoulder.Dexter’s face fell slightly.“Thank you.Very manly.”

“Lucas!”Rabbit called,“I need to speak to you in the kitchen.”She stalked out of the room.

Lucas raised an eyebrow at Miles who shrugged.“Better do as she says.She gets grumpy when you don’t.”

Lucas followed Rabbit into the kitchen and she sat on the end of the kitchen table.“So, here’s the plan. You, Nicole and Ben move in here, you live happily ever after.Think you can manage that?”

“Er, I’ll try.”

“Right.One small problem though.”

“There is?”

“Yep.I need you to keep an eye on Cousin Blondie.”

“Xavier?Why?”

“Can’t tell you.He’ll find out soon enough though.”

Xavier found April waiting for him when he arrived at the beach house.“What’s up?”he asked,“You said it was urgent.”

“I just…I just needed to see you.”

“Where’s Irene and Bianca?”

“They’ve…they’ve gone out.”

Xavier put his arms round her waist and drew her towards him with a grin.“So, we’ve got the place to ourselves, hey?”

April pulled away from him.“Xavier, stop!”She turned away from him, looking upset.

Xavier walked over and put an arm round her shoulder, resting his head against hers.“Sorry,”he said quietly,“I just…I guess I got it wrong.”

April sighed.“I need to talk to you.”

“About what?”Xavier was suddenly concerned.“You’re not ill, are you?”

“No, I’m…”April took a deep breath.“I’m pregnant.”

Xavier’s eyes widened in shock.“Pregnant?As in..?”He gestured to himself and to her, unable to vocalise the thought.

“Yeah,”she confirmed.

“Wow.That’s big.”

April waited for something more than that.She didn’t get.“So…how do you feel?”she asked at last.

“I dunno.Happy, I guess.”

It wasn’t an answer April had been expecting.“Happy?”

“Well, yeah.I mean, we’re gonna be parents, that’s something to be happy about, isn’t it?”He gave her a hopeful smile.

It took a moment for the words to sink in and then April grinned, a grin wider than she thought possible. “Yeah,”she realised.Xavier grinned too and she kissed him full on the lips.“I love you,”she told him.

“I love you too,”he confirmed.He crouched down to address her stomach.“I love you too!”he added before straightening up and addressing April again.“Happy?”

“Happy!”she confirmed and hugged him, neither of them able to erase the grins from their faces.“Our mums are gonna kill us,”she remarked.

“Oh yeah,”he agreed.

Archived