Guest elikell

Story Title: Searching

Type of Story: Short/Medium fic

Main characters: Charlie, Ruby

BTTB rating: G

Genre: General

Does story include spoilers: No

Any Warnings: No

Summary: Ruby searches for something Charlie once lost. But can she get it back?

Charlie closed her eyes, wanting everything to vanish from her thoughts. She leant against the back of the closed door, her mind racing. She slid to the floor and before she knew it, tears had escaped from her eyes.

‘Mum?’ Ruby called out as she entered the house. ‘Mum are you home?’

Charlie wiped her tears away carelessly, stood up and walked out of her bedroom into the lounge room.

‘Hey Rubes, how was school?’ Charlie asked. Her voice crackled.

Ruby turned around and saw her mother’s face. ‘What’s wrong?’ Ruby asked. She walked over to her mother and wrapped her arms around her tightly.

Charlie took a deep breath, but before she could speak she broke down in tears. She hugged her daughter tightly and held her close.

Ruby rubbed her mothers back gently, easing her sobs slowly. ‘What’s wrong?’ Ruby repeated. She led Charlie to the lounge and they sat down.

‘What happened? Was it work?’ Ruby asked.

Charlie looked at Ruby, then moved her gaze to the floor before she looked back up at Ruby.

‘I stuffed up,’ Charlie admitted. She looked down at her police uniform and shook her head. ‘I was such an idiot,’ Charlie exclaimed. She put her head in her hands and wept quietly.

‘No mum, you’re not,’ Ruby said. She took her mothers hand in her own. Charlie looked over at her. ‘You’re not an idiot,’ Ruby repeated. She smiled at her mother comfortingly.

‘Sweetie,’ Charlie said. She held Ruby’s hand in her own and sighed deeply. ‘I need to tell you something, and I really want you to understand,’ Charlie said. She looked into Ruby’s brown eyes.

‘Okay,’ Ruby said. ‘Start at the beginning.’

Thanks to all for reading and commenting. I do hope that I don't disappoint you with where this goes...I'm hoping I won't!

Anyway, here's the next update. Just a FYI, most of the updates will be short.

Ten minutes later

‘What, so they just escaped? Where did they go?’ Ruby asked. Charlie had just finished talking and Ruby had a lot of questions she wanted answered.

Charlie looked at her. ‘Yes. It’s all my fault and I can’t find them,’ Charlie said. ‘I don’t know where they went.’

‘What about work? Can’t they help? I mean, you’re police officers. You’re meant to find people,’ Ruby said.

‘Well it’s my fault,’ Charlie said. ‘I don’t know, its complicated.’

‘No it’s not,’ Ruby said. She was getting worked up. ‘It’s not complicated at all. Mum, people disappear all the time and you find them. You need to find them,’ Ruby said.

‘I…’ Charlie said. ‘How?’ A tear slid down her cheek silently.

‘I don’t know. You can’t just let them vanish without a trace. Mum, please, you can’t let this go. I know you, you can find anyone,’ Ruby said.

Charlie shook her head. ‘Not this time.’

‘Okay. Here’s what’s going to happen,’ Ruby said. ‘You’re gonna take a bath, clear your head and I’ll make dinner. Okay? And we’ll work out something after that.’

Charlie looked at her daughter intently. ‘Okay,’ she agreed.

‘Good,’ Ruby said. She smiled at her mother.

‘Thanks Rubes. You always know how to help,’ Charlie said. She hugged her daughter tightly.

Thanks to you all for your comments. I really do appreciate it.

I hope you continue to enjoy this story. I wasn't sure how to procede with it, so I hope you like it.

Happy reading :)

Ruby drove her mothers car through the streets of the quiet town. She spotted a motel sign lit up in the darkness and took a deep breath. This has to be it Ruby thought to herself. She pulled off the road and looked at the cars in the carpark. She smiled.

She turned off the car engine and got out, locking the car behind her. She found the car she had spotted from the road and turned to face the motel door it was parked in front of.

Ruby took a deep breath. There’s still time to back away Ruby thought. She thought about her mothers tears earlier that night and knocked on the motel door. She saw the curtains move slightly and a face appear in the window momentarily.

The door opened. Aden stared at Ruby, his arms across his body.

‘Is..?’ Ruby started.

Aden nodded. He stepped aside and let Ruby into the room. He closed the door behind her.

‘Ruby?’ Joey asked. She stood up from the bed she was sitting on.

‘Hey Joey,’ Ruby said.

‘How did you know I was here?’ Joey asked. She looked away.

‘I,’ Ruby started. She looked over at Aden and back at Joey. ‘Can we talk?’ Ruby asked.

Aden stood in the doorway. ‘I’m just going to go for a walk,’ Aden said. He opened the door and stepped through it. He turned around and looked at Ruby.

Ruby nodded, understanding his look.

He closed the door behind him. Ruby turned and looked back at Joey.

‘Why are you here?’ Joey asked defensively.

‘We need to talk,’ Ruby said. ‘It’s about Charlie.’

Joey sat down on the bed. Ruby sat next to her.

‘How is she?’ Joey asked quietly.

‘Not good,’ Ruby answered. ‘She needs you in her life.’

Joey scoffed. ‘I sailed away and she never came after me. I just wanted her,’ Joey said. Her deep brown eyes filled with tears.

Ruby clutched Joey’s hand in her own.

‘Joey, she needs you,’ Ruby said. ‘She found out today that you were back in town but were leaving again. She was upset that you hadn’t even said hello to her. She doesn’t want to lose you ever again.’

Joey looked into Ruby’s eyes. ‘How do I know that she won’t hurt me again?’ Joey asked.

‘She’s changed. When you left, she sat at the beach all day wanting you to come back. And today, when she heard you were around, she wanted to find you,’ Ruby said.

‘But she didn’t.’ Joey shook her head.

‘I know. If I could explain to you how much hurt I saw in her eyes today, and how much she misses you, I would. But I can’t,’ Ruby said.

Joey looked away from her.

‘She cried Joey. Charlie never cries,’ Ruby said. ‘I can’t explain what I saw in her eyes, but I know she loves you. I know how much she cares about you. And I think you might know it too.’

Ruby put her hand on Joey’s face and turned her head to make eye-contact with her.

‘How do you feel about her?’ Ruby asked.

A tear fell from Joey’s deep brown eyes. ‘I love her. I’ve always loved her,’ Joey admitted quietly.

Ruby smiled. ‘Tell me more,’ she said gently.

Joey took a deep breath and began to talk.

Thanks to all for your comments. I was a bit hesitant to bring Joey back, but I'm glad you like it. :)

Here's the next update for you.

Happy reading

Three hours later

Aden and Joey hugged tightly.

‘Good luck Joey,’ Aden said. ‘Just follow your heart.’

‘Thanks Aden, you too. I know you’ll be happy with your life,’ Joey said.

They broke apart and looked at Ruby, who was standing in the doorway.

‘Good luck Aden,’ Ruby said. ‘Be happy.’ She walked out of the motel room and waited by her mothers car.

A few minutes later she saw Joey leave the room. Joey slung her large duffle bag over her shoulder and walked towards Ruby in the moonlight.

Ruby smiled to herself, and hoped she had done the right thing.

She hugged Joey tightly before they got into the car.

‘You won’t regret this,’ Ruby promised.

Joey smiled. ‘I know,’ she whispered to herself.

The next morning

Charlie woke up and went into the kitchen. ‘Morning sweetie,’ she said. She placed a kiss on Ruby’s forehead. ‘How did you sleep? You look tired.’

‘Gee thanks for that mum. I didn’t really sleep at all. But it’s okay. What’s your plan for today?’ Ruby asked. ‘Did you think about what we discussed last night?’

‘I’ve gotta get to work. I’m just gonna jump through the shower,’ Charlie said. She turned to leave.

‘Mum? Are you okay after last night?’ Ruby asked.

Charlie turned back around to look at her daughter. ‘I’ll be okay. You’re right, I’m a cop. I can find them,’ Charlie said. She smiled and left the room.

Thanks for all the comments! I really do appreciate them all.

Glad you're liking this story.

Here's the next part for you. There's only one more after this one.

Ruby watched her mother leave the kitchen. She waited until she heard the water running in the shower before she rushed into her bedroom.

‘Okay, she’s in the shower so we only have a few minutes. Have you finished your breakfast?’ Ruby asked.

Joey smiled and nodded. ‘Are you sure about this?’ Joey asked.

Ruby nodded. ‘Absolutely. Over the years I’ve learnt all of mums voices and looks. Trust me. Are you ready?’ Ruby asked.

Joey nodded again. ‘I can’t believe this is happening. Thank you so much Ruby. I can never repay you,’ Joey said.

‘As long as you’re both happy, I’m happy. And that’s enough for me,’ Ruby said. She smiled. She held out her hand to Joey.

Joey took Ruby’s hand and stood up from the bed.

‘Let’s go.’ Ruby stuck her head out the door and heard the water turn off in the bathroom.

They made their way quickly to Charlie’s bedroom and closed the door behind them. Ruby looked at Joey as she looked around the room.

Joey smiled and looked at Ruby. ‘She hasn’t changed,’ Joey said.

‘Yeah, you’d think she’d be able to keep her room tidy, but for some reason she just can’t.’ Ruby laughed.

‘Should we tidy up a bit?’ Joey asked. She picked up one of Charlie’s bras from the floor and tossed it towards the dirty clothes basket near the door.

‘In all seriousness, thank you Ruby,’ Joey said. She picked up a pair of pants.

‘Just make her happy,’ Ruby said. ‘You both deserve it.’

Joey nodded. She threw the pants across the room. They hit the wall with a loud bang from the belt still around them.

‘Oh no,’ Ruby said.

‘Sorry,’ Joey said. She smiled.

‘Are you ready?’ Ruby asked.

Joey nodded.

‘Okay, it’s show time,’ Ruby said. ‘Just wait there.’ Ruby poked her head out of the door and saw the bathroom door open.

I want to say thank you to all my readers. Your comments have just been wonderful.

So thank you to ~JarlieFanEver~, ldscott, Carina, pembie, lozlovesh&a, Zetti, soph1303, Chester-Sam and teespazzr.

I hope you find the final chapter satisfying.

Charlie stood in the bathroom and looked at herself in the mirror. She buttoned up her work shirt and sighed deeply. A noise in the hallway broke her thoughts. She opened the door and saw Ruby coming out of her bedroom.

‘Ruby? What were you doing in my room?’ Charlie asked suspiciously.

‘Nothing,’ Ruby replied. A large grin was plastered across her face.

‘Ruby, like you continuously point out, I’m a police officer. I can tell when people are lying,’ Charlie said. ‘And I’m your mother.’

‘Mum, before you start, I just want you to know that I love you and I want you to be happy,’ Ruby said.

Charlie raised an eyebrow. ‘I love you too sweetie. But what were you doing in my room?’ Charlie asked.

‘I called the station and got you the day off work,’ Ruby said.

‘What? Why Ruby?!’ Charlie exclaimed. She put her hands to her head momentarily.

‘Because I wanted to do something nice for you,’ Ruby said. She smiled.

‘And?’ Charlie asked.

‘And I was thinking about what you said last night and I wanted to help,’ Ruby said. She opened Charlie’s bedroom door and led her inside. ‘I was up all night searching, but I eventually found your escapee.’

Charlie looked away from Ruby to her bed, where a beautiful young woman was sitting.

The woman smiled at Charlie’s shocked expression.

‘Mum. I saw your expression last night, and heard what you said. You can’t let people escape from your life,’ Ruby said.

‘But how did...?’ Charlie started.

‘I found her at a motel in Yabbie Creek, ready to take off today with Aden,’ Ruby said. ‘You both love each other, I couldn’t let her escape from your life. Not again.’

Charlie looked at her daughter, tears in her eyes. Ruby hugged her mother tightly. ‘Thank you,’ Charlie whispered in Ruby’s ear.

‘You’re welcome,’ Ruby whispered back. ‘Now you have the day off, and I have school. Don’t waste this day. Just convince her to stay, okay?’ Ruby whispered into her mother’s ear.

‘Okay,’ Charlie agreed. ‘Love you Ruby.’

‘Love you too mum,’ Ruby replied. She smiled at them both and left the room, closing the door behind her.

Charlie shifted her gaze back to the woman, who was now standing in front of her.

‘You know, this could be classed as trespassing,’ Charlie said.

‘Well Sergeant, you better arrest me then,’ Joey Collins said with a smile. She pulled their bodies close and pressed her lips to Charlie’s.

All the pain and heartache left Charlie’s thoughts, because in this moment, she was where she wanted to be. She was happy at last.

Comments

Archived