Lance Smart

Guest English Invader

I commented in another thread that it would be impossibe to introduce Lance into the 2011 set-up and someone disagreed with me. This has got me thinking about some possible angles.

Lance gets dumped by his wife and moves back to the Bay to spend time with his mum and get his life back on track. It's a fairly common situation and there are plenty of people in the Bay with similar experiences that he could relate to.

Lance would also be able to relate to characters outside his age group just like he did in the early years. I could see him forming a friendship with Dex in much the same way he did with Steven and could also get on with Romeo, Xavier, Casey et al. He could also be exploited by streetwise teenagers as well, which would add to the drama in the show.

There are also aspects of Lance's life away from the Bay that could be brought into play. Divorce, Lance moving on and his ex trying to get back with him, custody battle for the kids etc.

Yeah I agree - I could see him easily slotting into the show as it is now if the writers were to stay true to his character and weave him into Summer Bay life again. Lance seems to be one of those characters that changes at a snails pace over a life time but what I enjoy about the character is that he could also be warm and caring at the same time as being a larrikin and immature - which as you say English Invader provides plenty of potential and opportunity for him to team up with the younger and older characters alike.

One of my favorite scenes was when he returned and had that chat with Sally on the steps of his old mobile home, such a classic scene and throw back to the early years. Anyway, I doubt they would reintroduce Lance on a permanent basis though I always doubted they would ever bring back Marilyn - I do think a semi permanent return is definitely long over due if not permanent.

I miss both Lance and Martin, why did they had to leave?

These two were originals, and I loved their jokes, and all the crazy stuff they did.

The moments with Sally and the Fletcher's.

And there's only one thing that didn't suit Lance, his last name "Smart"..

Sometimes you got to wonder where did all the not- so-good ideas came from.

+ Colleen keeps talking about him every now and then. She misses him too ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

I love watching Lance in the older episodes. He could quite easily slip back into Bay life, having Colleen as a connection, plus people like Alf.

I reckon he'd be a corker these days on the show. Home and Away needs someone like Lance to really give the Bay some humour and excitement sometimes.

I'm split on this topic while it would be nice to have Lance back he isnt really the same person he was 22 years ago. He has grown up a lot now. If they did return him they'd probably ruin his character like they have done with so many other returned characters.

I'm split on this topic while it would be nice to have Lance back he isnt really the same person he was 22 years ago. He has grown up a lot now. If they did return him they'd probably ruin his character like they have done with so many other returned characters.

It's also very unlikely that Peter Vroom would be remotely interested in reprising the role, he seems to be pretty much into his meditation these days. And forget recasting, Roo played by Georgie Parker stretches the suspension of disbelief far enough ... Lance couldn't possibly be portrayed by any other actor.

It's also very unlikely that Peter Vroom would be remotely interested in reprising the role, he seems to be pretty much into his meditation these days. And forget recasting, Roo played by Georgie Parker stretches the suspension of disbelief far enough ... Lance couldn't possibly be portrayed by any other actor.

Meditation??

You are right, there are some characters who can be recast, some who are iffy, and those who definitely cannot be. Lance is one that definitely cannot be.

Meditation??

The Resolute Mind

It goes to show just how good an actor he was ... "resolute mind" isn't the first phrase that springs to mind when you think of Lance Smart.

That's quite a resume he's got there. Pilot, IT professional, construction worker, lecturer, actor... doesn't look like he'll ever be short of work.

Archived