Fatal Attraction

Guest lollypop

You're doing this blind ..... without knowing where it's going ..... that's IMPRESSIVE ......

I always like to plan mine 1st, then fill in the details, e.g. with my fic "Drahnrae"....

7. Joey “mind if we share a bed Ruby … still love Charlie, but you’re next best thing”

8. Abirac attacks … Gypsy “wound/kill only if absolutely necessary” / Bella – jelly cured shields / Bella saves Gypsy from deadly attack – Gypsy wounded

9. Rikki “going right way?” …. Ruby “all about the climb” - lead to Ruby's song

10. Ruby & Ruby clone cross universe singing …. ONLY Ruby & Ruby clone - after Cleo clone [via Ronnie] uncovers the clone sitch / Charlie weirded out by clones [feels like she’s been cheating on real Joey etc]

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@ JosieTash: My English teacher used to think I was being a reckless with my creative writing essays writing blind. She thought I was just being lazy. But I often found it was easier for me to write by going with the flow rather than sitting down and writing every plot point out to detail.

With structure essays I do tend to plan what I'm writing, but when I'm writing stories or fanfics or even opinion pieces, I just find that they just flow out of my finger tips. It just comes naturally I guess.

The thing is, I actually find it more exciting not knowing how the next chapter is going to go or how it's going to end. I like to be kept guessing, just like the reader. I always think, if I can't keep myself interested enough in writing the next chapter to find out what's going to happen next, then how can I keep the reader interested.

It's funny a couple of times while I was writing this fic, I found myself going, wow, that's not what I intended to write it all. Luckily it always turns out better than I planned. I have no idea how each chapter is going to unfold, but I do have a general idea of where the story is going and I've been juggling around a few ideas on what the future has in store for the central characters.

I can totally see your point, and I know that I’ve deviated sometimes majorly with my fics [like in “Drahnrae” I initially had Charlie & co searching for Ruby & her friends, but then I thought of the clone idea and rewrote chunks of the draft] , but I mostly like to have the outline to save me from the dredded writer’s block.

I'm somewhere between the two methods.I'll happily write blind if it's just for my own amusement, although even then I tend to have a basic idea what happens next before I sit down in front of the keyboard.If I'm writing something for other people to read, I tend to have an outline first but I've been known to cut out chapters, add in chapters and emphasise certain characters and plotlines depending on how I'm feeling when I get there or how people are responding to it.

So sorry everyone. I know I promised an update a few days ago but after I did a read through of the lastest chapter I realised it had some plot holes that didn't make sense with what was currently going on in the story so I had to scrap it. I'm starting the next chapter again today so hopefully I will have something by tomorrow at the latest.

Here it is. The single BIGGEST chapter I have ever written. Sorry it's taken so long but I hope you enjoy it and thank you for all the reviews. I can't wait to hear what you think of this latest installement.

Chapter 19

"Helloooo", Bianca called out as she stepped through the back door of Leah's house, with the intention of checking in on Charlie to see how she was doing. She wanted to tell her best friend about the shrine Ruby's fellow students had built in her honour, hoping that it would give her a small boost. When there was no answer, Bianca made her way into the living room and spotted an open black sports bag on the dining table. Peering inside it, she saw clothes and other various things that someone would pack if they were planning a trip. For a moment she was convinced Charlie was taking a break from Summer Bay and everyone in it. Until she she spotted a few things that didn't fit the criteria of a relaxing holiday.

Glancing at the bulletproof vest that was sitting on the chair next to the table, she placed her handbag done and began sifting through the rest of the bag to see what other items seemed out of place. Finding nothing in the main carrier, she unzipped the side pockets and placed her hand in side to feel around. Suddenly her hand came across a square shaped object. Pulling it out, Bianca was stunned when her eyes fell upon the tazer that was in her grasp. Just as the panic was building inside her, Charlie emerged from the hallway and walked into the living room. Stopped in her tracks by the sight of her friend, Charlie noticed the tazer in Bianca's hand. Before she could explain herself, she was caught of guard by a shriek coming from Bianca.

Suddenly realising why her friend seemed so shocked, Charlie gazed down to her hands, where she was holding her police issued revolver and a box of ammunition. "Charlie what are you doing?", Bianca asked in a high pitched, panicked voice. "I know you're hurting but going after these guys for revenge is not the way to go", she said as she placed the tazer down on the table. Looking at the tazer, then Bianca and finally back down at her hands, it became clear to Charlie why her best friend was so worried. "What, no Bianca, that's, that's not what I'm doing", she said as she stepped forward and placed the gun and ammo down on the table. Turning to Bianca, Charlie grabbed a hold of her hands and stared down at the ground, taking a deep breath.

"I was at the station today, collecting Ruby's things. Only some of the things that I looked at weren't Ruby's", she explained as she lead Bianca to the couch and sat her down. Bianca stared at Charlie in confusion. She didn't undertand what any of this had to do with why she was carrying around a bag full of weapons. Sensing this, Charlie continued to explain. "I noticed that some of the things they had found on Ruby didn't add up. So Watson and I went to the morgue. To see the body", she said before being cut off by Bianca. "Oh Charlie. Why didn't you call me? I would have gone with you. You know, for suport", she replied as she she squeezed Charlie's hand in a comforting manner. "No Bianca. That's the thing. The body they found...it wasn't Ruby", Charlie exclaimed with a small hopeful smile on her face.

Bianca sat back placing her hand over her mouth. She was in shock. Did she hear Charlie right? "WHAT? Charlie, are you serious?", she asked, her breathing at a complete standstill. "Yeah. Watson's back at the station now. They're putting together a new search. That's why I have my gun and tazer. I'm going on the search too. The clothes are for Ruby for when we find her", Charlie said as she stood up and walked back over to the bag. Removing her black hooded zip up sweat shirt, she picked up her bulletpfoof vest and put it on before putting back on her hoody. "You mean if, you find her right", Bianca repsonded, when she realised that Charlie was allowing her hopes to build too high.

"What, you don't think she's alive?", Charlie asked with a harsh tone. Feeling like her best friend was trying to deflate her hopes. Bianca rubbed her brow at Charlie's reaction, knowing she had hit a nerve. "No that's not what I'm saying at all", Bianca said, reaching forward to grab a hold of her friends hand. "I just don't want you to get your hopes up. Don't get me wrong I'm elated that the search is back on and nothing would make me happier than to see you bring Ruby home. But Charlie I don't want to see you hurt again. I want you to be prepared for any outcome", she finished. Sensing the sincerity in Bianca's tone, Charlie gave her a small nod to acknowledge the fact that she had taken what she had said on board.

For the last couple of hours, Charlie had been soaring on a cloud at the idea that her daughter may still be out there. Everything else in her mind had quickly become an after thought. But hearing Bianca's words and registering what she was saying, she knew her friend was right. She was building her hopes up too high on a small chance that her daughter may still be alive. She needed to be realistic about this. Treat it like any other missing persons case and be professional. In a situation like this she needed to think rationally. Not for her sake but for Ruby's. If her daughter stood any chance of being found it was depending on Charlie keeping a cool head and focussing on tracking her down. Not by getting into a shoot out with every dodgy looking gang member that she came across along the way.

"Look I really should get a move one. There's a couple of places between here and Mangrove River where Brodie and his boys used to hang around. If I get to them early enough, before the mob arrive, I might be able to talk to some people, see if they have any inside information", she explained as she packed the tazer back in the bag. Scratching her head she tried to think if there was anythig else she needed, when suddenly it hit her. Dashing down the hallway, Bianca called after her. "Okay, well is there anything I can do?", she called out. Charlie re-emerged holding a small black kit in her hand. "Yeah could you go to the fridge and grab a couple of the insulin virals and the small cooler bag that Leah left sitting on the top shelf to cool", Charlie asked as she put the kit in the back and loaded up her gun.

Bianca walked into the kitchen and grabbed the medicool bag from the top shelf of the fridge. It was a small blue bag Leah had picked up for Ruby so she could keep her insulin cool while travelling. Never had it come in more useful that on this particular day. Looking around inside the fridge for the insulin, eventually she found them on the second shelf. Bianca removed about four virals and placed them in the bag. Just as she was about to close the door, she stopped and gazed back and forth betwen the bag and the fridge. Before closing the door, she reached in and grabbed two more virals. Just incase, she thought to herself.

Walking back into the living room, she handed the bag to Charlie who thanked her with a warm smile. "Speaking of Leah, where is she?", Bianca asked, noticing that Charlie's housemate was absent from the house. "After I told her about Ruby, she went over to Miles' house to let him know what was going on. She called Irene before she left and I think she called Alf to get the Voluntary Resuce team together again. Actually could you follow that up for me?", Charlie asked as she zipped up the sports bag and slung the strap across her shoulder. "Yeah of course, no worries", Bianca replied. Pulling Charlie into her arms, she gave her friend a warm encouraging hug. "Good luck", she said as she released her from her grasp. Charlie simply smiled at her as she followed Bianca out the door and locked it up.

Storming down the beach, Heath headed straight for the waters edge to Brax who was coming out of the surf. "What's your problem?", Brax asked as he dumped his surf board on the sand and picked up his towel to dry himself off. Heath looked at him with an impatient glare. He was in no mood for idle chit chat after what he had just discovered. "Cops are startin' up the search for Ruby again. Looks like she's not dead afterall", he said, trying not to allow his true feelings for the youngest Buckton show to his older brother. Brax gazed at him, unsure if this was true or not. "WHAT?", he said as he threw the towel back on the ground. "Are you serious?", he asked as he ran his hand through his wet hair. Suddenly all his thoughts were erased by one single priority. He had to find Ruby for Charlie's sake.

"Of course I'm serious, I just heard the old bat in the Diner announce it to practically everyone in the joint", he said kicking the sand, getting agitated by the fact that he was being slowed down. "So are you comin' or what?", he asked, indicating his intention to search for Ruby. Brax looked up at Heath after snapping out of his thoughts. "Yeah of course I am. But why are you so interested?", he asked his younger brother. Heath turned his head and cracked his neck. He didn't want to answer his brothers questions. He just wanted to find Ruby. "I just wanna find her...for Casey's sake", he finished. Hoping to throw Brax off the scent. "Nah, don't lie to me. I wanna know why?", Brax said with a stern tone. He continued to stare Heath down waiting for him to reply. Heath just looked at him. "Why are you doin' it?", he asked Brax, trying to divert the conversation away from him.

"I'm doin' it because I love Charlie. And I will do anythin' to get Ruby back for her. But this isn't about me. Why are you doin' this?", Brax hated to admit it, but he was suspicious of Heath's motives. There was a growing concern in him that Heath was after getting himself in trouble. "Heath answer me!", he shouted. "BECAUSE I LOVE HER ALRIGHT!", Heath shouted back. Flooring his older brother with his admission. "I love her. But I'm not stupid. I know she's Casey's. But I can do this. I don't care if I have to beat every last one of 'em to death, I will find her", Heath said as he clenched his fists and stared at his brother with a look of intent.

Brax looked into his brothers eyes and he could see the sincerity. The anger. The truth. For the first time in his life he saw Heath show love for someone outside the Braxton family and he realised that his younger brother had grown. He could see the fire inside him that was pushing him into action. He knew exactly what it was because it was the same fire that pushed Brax to do anything for the woman he loved. The day of the rememberance ceremony on the beach, Brax saw Charlie's heart shatter into a million tiny pieces before him and it tore him up inside to see her in so much pain. All he wanted to do was make it better. Make it go away. And now he was being gifted the opportunity to do that. "Alright let's go", he said picking up his board and towel as he made his way up the sand with Heath following close behind.

In the Surf Club, Alf, Sid, Romeo and Miles were busy suiting up in their high visibility suits when Geoff came rushing in having been informed of the news by Irene. Before he could speak to Alf, a flushed looking Casey also came hurdling into the club having been told of the latest search by Xavier, Dex and April who were out gathering some supplies that Sid and Alf had requested. Both young men were about to speak when Alf cut in. "Ah good to see ye boys. We need all the eyes we can get. I want you two fellas to team up and get crackin' on the search. Geoff with your knowledge of the Bay and Casey's knowledge of the River you two should be able to cover a fair bit of ground", he said as he handed them both high vis suits to put on.

"What you want us to work together?", Casey said pointing his finger back and forth between himself and Geoff. Both of them clearly unimpressed with the team situation. With both of them trying to win the affection of the same girl, it hadn't taken very long for Casey and Geoff to develop a rivalry. Even after Ruby's supposed 'death', they still found themselves at odds. Only briefly calling a truce for the rememberance ceremony. But now that there was a chance she was still alive, all bets were off again. Both of them were determind to find the object of their affection and win her heart. "What are you two still standin' there for get a flammin' move on", Alf ordered. Geoff and Casey walked over to the pool table, picked up a couple of water bottles each and made their way out of the club.

"Are you sure it's a good idea to pair those two off together?", Romeo asked as he adjusted his jumpsuit. Alf looked at the young man standing next to him. "A little birdie tells me that those two have been fightin' over young Ruby since before she went missin'. I don't need that kind of negative testerone ruinin' our chances of findin' her by turnin' it into some flammin' competition. At least this way they'll stay out of our way. If they have to work together to find Ruby, they can't afford to try and get one over each other", Alf said as he crossed his arms over his chest. Romeo smiled as he realised the sheer genius behind the elder man's plan. "Wonders never cease to amaze me with you Mr. Stewart", Romeo said. Alf laughed at the young man and patted him on the back. Turning around, they engage themselves in creating a game plan with the rest of the volunteers.

"I can't believe I got stuck with you", Casey said as he tied the arms of the jumpsuit around his waist. Kicking an empty can out of his way in frustration as he walked along. Geoff stopped for a second and looked harsly at Casey who continued on his way. "What and you think I'm happy being thrown together with someone like you?", Geoff said as he began walking again. Casey stopped in his tracks at what Geoff had said. "Someone like me? What's that supposed to me?", Casey asked. Geoff turned around and walked back to where Casey was standing. "Someone like you. A Riverboy. A Braxton", he said. At his words, Casey gave him a look of annoyance mixed with anguish as yet again, he found his family name reflecting badly upon him. "You don't know anything about my family", he said.

"Don't give me that we're misunderstood bull", Geoff said as he noticed the pained expression on Casey's face. "If your brothers and their low life "mates" had never set foot in this town, Ruby would never have lost her sight, and she would never have been abducted in the first place", Geoff found himself yelling at the youngest Braxton. This was completely out of character for him. Geoff never spoke unkindly of anyone he didn't know personally, but he couldn't help himself. He was angry and as far as he was concerned he needed to blame someone. The Braxtons were the closest he was going to get to Brodie. Noticing the sadness in Casey's eyes Geoff softened and found himself feeling bad for him.

"I'm sorry Casey. I know none of this is your fault. But, your brothers, if you have it in you to do better with your life, then you need to distance yourself from them before they drag you down", Geoff said. Casey laughed sarcastically at what Geoff was saying. Ever since he had arrived in the Bay people who got close to him all said the same thing. Don't let your brothers pull you down. They talked about Brax and Heath like they knew them. He was beginning to think that maybe they did know them better than him. His whole life he had been left sitting in the dark while his older brothers did things he wished they had never done. Because now he was paying for it for the simple fact that he carried the weight of the same name.

"You don't understand what it means to grow up a Braxton in Mangrove River. You can't just cut ties and walk away. It will follow you everywhere you go. People will judge you without knowing you. You get a reputation just by being born into the family", he said as he looked at Geoff. "I've lived in the shadow of my brothers and the Riverboys my whole life. Not because I chose to but because people expected it of me. Their enemies became my enemies. Their mates became my mates. That's why the Riverboys are a brotherhood. Because once your in it, there's no getting out. Not without consequeces. It's 'Blood and Sand'. Always has been, always will be", Casey finished as he brushed passed Geoff and continued in the direction they had been heading in when they had set out on their quest.

As Heath's foot slammed the accelerator as flat to the ground as it could get, the speed alerted Brax to his younger brothers determination to take advantage of the daylight and make the most of it. He wasn't going to lose Ruby twice in the space of a few weeks to the scum who had taken her. Taking his eyes off the road, Brax looked at his brother. His mind bubbling with questions. But his main thought about the whole situation remained on what this could mean for both his younger brothers and Ruby. If she was indeed alive, how would this affect their relationships with each other. It was obvious to him that Casey was oblivious to Heath's feelings for the younger Buckton. He needed to know what Heath's intentions were. It was bad enough Casey wasn't talking to him, but if his two younger brothers were to fall out as well, it would create an unspeakable rift in their family.

"So, this thing between you and Ruby, does Casey know?", Brax asked, wanting to know more about what was going on. Heath gazed at his older brother out of the corner of his eye and frowned. "There is nothing between me and Ruby. There never was", he said. If Brax was going to insist on knowing everything about his love life, he might as well be honest. He had already told him the important part. These were minor insignificant details as far as he was concerned. "So what? You've just been waitin' in the wing for Casey to stuff it all up so you could swoop in? Is that what the self defence tactics you were teachin' her were all about. You tryin' to get close to her? Cause I know I'm not Casey's favourite person but I don't think he'd take to kindly to you movin' in on his girl eh?", Brax said as he gazed back out the window.

Feeling himself losing his temper but knowing he couldn't afford to waste time pulling the car over to punch the living dayights out of Brax, Heath took his hand off the wheel and slammed his fist against the dashboard. "Oi, easy mate", Brax said. Heath turned his head towards him. "You don't know what your talkin' about. I never chased after Ruby. I didn't start having feelin's for her until after we started workin' together. And incase you've forgotten "mate", Casey up and left town when his girlfriend needed him to stand up and be a man", Heath shouted as he turned his focus back on the road. Brax stared at Heath. He had never seen his brother so passionate about something and to see him actually stand up to him proved to Brax that he really didn't know what he was talking about.

"At least I was honest with Ruby. I never tried to pretend to be somethin' I'm not. Maybe if you'd had a bit more backbone, Buckton wouldn't have up and left ye", Heath responded. Wanting to get back at his brother for his earlier comments and knowing that the key to pinching a nerve was to bring up Charlie. She was the only woman Brax had ever truly loved and not being able to be with her, was torturing him and Heath knew that. "What's that supposed to mean?", Brax shouted as he glanced over at Heath. "Eh...what's that supposed to mean?", he shouted again, his temper also beginning to rise. "Well lets face it Brax, ye tried to have your cake and eat it too and look what that got ye. You've got a business that's going under, the whole town that ye tried to make respect ye, they want you out, and the woman that you risked it all for would rather throw herself off Stewarts Point than even look at ye", Heath pointed out as he kept his focus on the road.

"So forgive me if I'm not that intereted in whatever advice or opinion my big bro has to offer anymore", he finished. Brax scowled at his younger brother, proving to Heath that he had clearly hit a nerve. It pained him to think that for once, the middle Braxton was right. Brax had made a mess of everything. He tried to bring two opposing worlds together only to watch them both crumble around him and now he was suffering the consequences of his actions. Which was why he had been building up to fix everything. He had been creating a plan of action to solve all these problems. And when the time was right he would set it in motion. He needed to make things better. For his family and, for Charlie. But for the time being he had to be patient and take one day at a time. And on this particular day, his focus was on finding Ruby.

As Heath pulled up outside the Old Mill pub on the outskirts of Mangrove River, both Braxton brothers spotted a familiar looking blue car parked outside. Climbing out of the truck, they made their way over to the door just in time to see Charlie emerge on her mobile phone. When she hung up, she stopped in her tracks. Startled as she almost collided with them. "What are you doin' here?", Heath asked knowing this wasn't somewhere Charlie usually passed through. Even on duty. Glancing back and forth between Heath and Brax she found her breath stalling when she noticed Brax's gaze never left her. "I, ah, I heard that some of your boys hang around here during the day. I decided to hit them up while they were alone. See if I could pump them for information", she said as she glanced down at her hands noticing a text from Watson informing her that they were currently searching the National Park and that a squad car would be with her as soon as it could.

"And?", Brax asked almost without any hint of emotion. If Charlie wanted nothing to do with him, the least he could do was make it easy for her. Even if it did pain him to so. Heath looked at his brother knowing exactly why he was being so cold, but he was too preoccupied with finding Ruby to stage a Dr. Phil style intervention. "Ah, the kid, Stu, said he heard something about Brodie being seen a couple of times around an old abandonded docking station on the far side of Mangrove River next to the sea port", she explained. Heath glanced between Brax and Charlie and shrugged his shoulders. "So what the hell are we doin' standin' round here. Let's go", he said. Charlie was about to argue with him but Heath had already made his way back to his truck before she could say anything. Turning her attention to Brax, they gazed at each other for a moment. A long lingering moment only broken by Heath's calls for them to hurry.

Suddenly remembering where her priorities were, Charlie turned away and ran to her car. Climbing in and putting on her seatbelt, she turned on the car and stormed out of the parking spot and sped off down the street, heading for the far side of town. Brax watched her take off, his gaze unfaultering until Heath's voice pulled him back to reality. "Oi, come on we don't have time for you to stand around lookin' like the Rain Man with that dopey stare", Heath shouted mockingly at his brother as he sat behind the wheel. Turning on his heel, Brax climbed into the passenger side just in time as Heath burst out of the car park gate and thundered down the road in the direction Charlie had taken.

Having been untied after Brodie realised that there was no way for her to escape, Ruby found herself hunched over a table. She was perspiring out of every pore in her body and she had a sharp pain in her abdomen. She hadn't eaten properly in days and it had been hours since her last insulin dosage. She was severely dehydrated and the effect it was having on her diabetes was beginning to take it's toll on her. Turning away from the table, Ruby reached one hand out in front of her to feel around where she was going and kept the other one firmly over her stomach. Trying to ease the discomfort she felt when moving. Only to find that no matter what she did, she couldn't stop the pain. It just seemed to get worse as time ticked by.

Suddenly, she heard the noise of a chair or some other object crashing against a wall from somewhere close by in the building. Listening as carefully as she could, she could hear Brodie shouting at someone but she couldn't quite make out what it was they were saying. Just then she heard footsteps making their way towards the room she was in. Taking a few steps back so she wasn't anywhere near the door she found herself almost tripping over the leg of the chair. Sitting down she bent over to ease the pain she was in. "Damn it", Brodie shouted outside the door before pushing it open, sending it crashing against the wall. Walking over to the chair , he leaned down in front of Ruby and laughed. "It's about to get excitin' Buckton. Hope you stick around long enough for the ride", he said menacingly.

Pulling out a gun from behind his back he placed the barrel of the gun next to Ruby's cheek and traced it along her face. Ruby whimpered at the feeling. Knowing full well what it was that was touching her. Brodie laughed under his breath as the young girl sitting in front of him flinched and snapped her head bag away from the gun. Standing closer to her, Brodie used his knee to part Ruby's legs. "Maybe you and I could have some fun of our own before the show starts", Brodie said with an evil grin as he stroked the inside of Ruby's leg. Feeling repulsed and fearing what he would do if she stayed still, Ruby raised her knee and sent it crashing into Brodie's groin area. "Owwww. Stupid bitch!", he roard as he sent a backhand across her face splitting her lip.

Ruby found herself being forced off the chair and onto the ground. The unbearable pain in her stomach preventing her from getting up. Brodie cupped his hand over his groin as he picked himself off the ground. "You're gonna regret that", he said as he placed the gun behind his back, using his belt to hold it in place. Walking over to the door he slammed it shut and made his way back down stairs. Picking up an open bottle of bourbon he took a swig of it to take his mind off the pain he was in. Walking over to the table he picked up the gun and loaded it up. Preparing himself to go down fighting.

Charlie pulled up slowly outside the dock and glanced out the windscreen at the old station where the sailors used to hang around when they had tied up their boats for the night. It was pretty run down and looked like it had been abandoned for many years. She silently wondered why no one had bothered to check it out the first time around. Reaching into the back seat she opened up the sports bag and removed her gun and ammuntion. After placing a fresh clip in, she placed another in her jacket pocket and the leaned across the passenger seat to open the glove compartment. Removing her police badge she clipped it onto her belt. There was no way she was goning to allow herself be arrested in the event that she ended up murdering the man who had kidnapped her daughter.

Just as she was getting out of the car, Heath skidded to a hault next to her. Jumping out of the car both Braxtons prepared themselves for a fight. "If you're goin' in so are we", Brax said once he was in touching distance of Charlie. She didn't argue with him. She couldn't afford to waste anymore energy. She just nodded her head at both of them and then looked at the old building. "Is there a back way into this place", she asked as she looked all around her. Brax nodded, "Yeah, yeah. It's around the side. It'll be better if we split up. Heath can take the back entrance. He's stronger and faster. Brodie will be expectin' me and you. We go in the front way, give him what he wants, Heath can take him out from behind", he said pumping his hand and fist together.

Although Charlie would prefer it if she were with Heath, deep down she knew Brax was right. If she entered the building with Brax, Heath would have the surprise element over Brodie. They stood a better chance. "Alright let's go", she said. Heath nodded at them and then made a run for the back entrance, slowing down when he was close enough to the building to prevent any noise alerting Brodie to what was going on. Once he signalled that he was okay, Brax and Charlie made their way to the front door. Charlie holding her gun firmly in her grasp. As they opened the door they stepped inside and tried to take in everything. Looking all around them, they checked for signs of life. When suddenly...bang...the sound of gun fire sent them bought jumping out of the way landing a few feet apart.

As Charlie stood up, Brax caught sight of a figure holding a gun out of the corner of his eye. The gun aiming for the woman he loved. "Charlie, LOOK OUT", he shouted as he ran towards her and knocked her off her feet just as a bullet whizzed passed them. Charlie turned to find herself engulfed in Brax's arms in a heap on the ground. "You okay?", he asked. She nodded her head and was about to say something when the sound of a scuffle caught their attention. Both turning their heads, they found Heath pinning Brodie up against a wall. His fist colliding against the fallen Riverboys face. Brax stood up pulling Charlie to her feet. "You go look for Ruby, me and Heath will take care of him", he said. The coldness in his eyes giving away nothing of what his intentions were.

But Charlie didn't have time to argue. She needed to find Ruby. Running for the stairs she bounded up them two steps at a time. Bursting through the first door she glanced quickly around the room and found it empty. A mattress and some beer bottles were scattered around the place. Brodie had obviously been hiding out there for a while. Walking along the corridor she checked the next two rooms and found nothing. However in the second room she did find an insulin viral that matched the one found next to the body found in the woods. The body that was thought to have been that of her daughter. Just then she heard a whimper coming from the end of the corridor. Running towards the last door, Charlie forced it open and burst through it.

"RUBY", she exclaimed as she crashed to her knees next to her daughter. Her emotions going into overdrive as she burst into tears with relief. Her daughter was alive. However her joy was short lived at Ruby's tears. But not tears of joy. They were tears of excruciating pain. "Rubes, Ruby, what's wrong?", she asked as she checked her daughter over. Charlie placed her hand on the side of Ruby's face and stroked her cheek. "I dunno. My, my stomach...it hurts", she said as she kept her hand firmly in its place on her abdomen. Charlie gazed down to where Ruby's hand was. She gently touched it to see how tender it was, only to find that the slightest touch caused Ruby great pain. "Shush, it's okay. It's okay. We're going to get you out of here and get you to a hospital okay", she said.

Just then Heath and Brax came bursting through the door. "Where's Brodie?", Charlie asked, half afraid of what the answer would be to her question. "The knuckle head shot himself. He said somethin' 'bout his part in the game being done and not bein' able to face jail so he pulled the gun on himself", Heath said as he looked down at Ruby. He could feel a sense of relief taking over to find that she was alive. Charlie gazed at Brax to see if what Heath was saying was the truth. "He's tellin' ye the truth Charlie", he said. And she could see it in the warmth in his eyes that he was being honest with her. Gazing back down at Ruby who's death grip on her hand was alerting her to the pain she was in, Charlie looked up at them.

"We need to get her to a hospital now", she said. Brax and Heath didn't even ask why. Heath just gently placed his arms under Ruby and lifted her off the ground. Doing his best not to cause her pain or discomfort. "Heath, you take Ruby and Charlie in your truck. There's more room in the backseat. I'll drive Charlie's car to the hospital", he said as they made their way outside. Heath placed Ruby carefully in the backseat and then held the door open for Charlie to climb in. Jumping into the driver's seat Heath put his foot down on the accelerator and drove as fast as he could to the Northern Districts Hospital. Brax following close behind. "Rubes, stay with me. Rubes", Charlie said as she shook her daughter who appeared to have lost consiousness.

Bursting throught the swinging doors of the emergency room, Charlie called for help as Heath carried a lifeless Ruby in his arms. Just as the nurses placed Ruby on a hospital trolley and brought her into the room next to them, Brax came running up to where his brother and Charlie were standing. Dr. Carter came out of the room and walked over to Charlie who had tears in her eyes as she watched the senior doctor in the room intubated Ruby and hook her up to a breathing machine while the nurses hooked her up to other various tubes and wires. "Can you tell us anything about Ruby's condition before she got here?", he asked wanting to know as much information as he could so they could try eliminate possible reasons for her condition.

"Um, yeah, she was sweating a lot and she had a really bad pain in her stomach. Her ah, her breath, it had a fruity smell to it", she said as the doctor took note of what she was saying. "Okay", he said as he put the pen back in his shirt pocket. "We've had to intubate Ruby to help her breath. She's not doing it on her own which could be linked to her diabetes. We're sending her for some scans and test so we can cover all our basis and make an official diagnosis", he said as he put a comforting hand on Charlie's arm and went back into the room. Charlie and the Braxtons stood and watched as the nurses took Ruby away down the corridor. All they could do was wait.

Sitting in the waiting room, it had been a couple of hours since they had arrived and Charlie was growing more concerned by the minute. Everyone had been alerted that Ruby had been found and since then, Sid had arrived at the hospital to take charge of her care. Heath sat on the opposite side of the room. His head leaning against the cold wall as he waited for news on Ruby. Brax walked into the room carrying three coffees. He offered one to Heath who gladly took it and then he made his way over to Charlie offering her a cup. "I can't. I'm sorry. I just, I can't think about eating or drinking until I know Ruby's alright", she said as she placed her head in her hands. Brax nodded his. "Yeah I get that. But your gonna be no used to Ruby if your passed out on a hospital bed next to her when she wakes eh", he said.

Charlie smiled at him. Grateful for his optimism in the that moment. She needed it. She needed to feel like everything was going to be okay. And Brax understood that. Which made it harder for her to turn him away. At least for now. Taking the coffee from him, she thanked him as she took a sip from the cup. Even in a crisis he remembered how she liked her coffee. White with one sugar. She smiled to herself and watched as Brax took a seat next to Heath and took a sip of his own coffee. The room was unbearably quiet and just as Charlie was about to get up and go search for a doctor or nurse, Sid arrived carrying a medical chart under his arm. Standing up all three of them made their way over to him, although Sid was reluctant to talk in front of the Braxtons, Charlie nodded to indicate that it was okay.

"Ruby suffered a complication of her diabetes. A condition known as ketoacidosis. It happens when a diabetic becomes dehydrated and their insulin therapy isn't complied with. To cope, the body burns up all it's fatty acids and produces an acidic ketone in the body which can be life threatening", Sid said looking between the three of them to make them understand how serious the condition was. "Is she going to be alright?", Charlie asked. "Ruby is suffering from a cerebral edema which has caused her to slip into a coma...", Sid said. Before he could finish Charlie let out a sob as the word coma floated through her brain. Brax was about to go and comfort her when Sid placed a hand on Charlie's arm and continued.

"No Charlie. It's okay. You got here just in time. With the right treatments Ruby should come out of the coma in a day or so and she'll be back on her feet in no time", he said. Sighing in relief, all three of them thanked God for watching over Ruby. "We'll have to keep her in the ICU until then but you can sit with her if you like", Sid said. Charlie smiled at Sid and thanked him and followed him out of the room. Before she walked down the corridor, she turned and looked at Brax shooting a small smile. He simply nodded his head and watched her walk away. Thankful that he the woman he cared about, was given back the person she loved the most.

As they arrived outside the intensive care unit, Sid turned to Charlie. "Don't panic when you see all the tubes and wires and all the beeping machines. They're just precautionary. While she's in the coma we'll need to keep her intubated. But's she's a very lucky girl", he said as he held the door opened for Charlie who walked in. Gazing at the sight before her, Charlie burst into tears. Tears of happiness that her baby girl was back in her life. And tears of worry as she glanced at all the wires and tubes that were attached to her daughter. Taking a seat next to the bed, Charlie grabbed a hold of Ruby's hand. Lifting it up she placed a kiss on it and held it tight. "I love you so much", she said. Thankful that the game was finally over. Or at least that's what she thought...

Next Time:

*Ruby comes around from the coma

*Charlie talks to Irene about her fears for the future

*Ruby makes a difficult decision regarding her complicated love life

*Brax, Heath and Charlie receive a shocking twist in the game that has thrown their lives into turmoil. But what is it?

Wow that was an intense chapter. I really enjoyed the suspense and the heroic Brax and Heath. Love the way you write Heath's character and lines like this one made me laugh out loud!

Heath looked at his brother knowing exactly why he was being so cold but to preoccupied with finding Ruby to stage a Dr. Phil style intervention.

Look forward to the next update - the shocking twist sounds excellent!

Archived