Does anyone else wish the forum guidelines were followed?

Guest Posy

There are plenty of examples in several threads, but it doesn't seem appropriate to single out anyone here.

My point was more about the lack of respect in signing up to a forum with clear rules, and then deciding that those rules don't apply to you. No-one was saying that posts were unreadable.

I think I'll just put some people on ignore - then I won't have to see their posts.

I just don't think it's worth making a big deal over it. Who really cares if people don't use capital letters? I don't think I've ever come across a post that I couldn't understand due to poor grammar or spelling mistakes.

And if the mods are going to get upset about it then perhaps a spell check or auto correct could be installed?

But seriously, people who complain about poor grammar really need to open their eyes and realise there are much bigger issues in the world. Perhaps you could change your focus to protesting about child abuse, stopping the spread of HIV thru African nations or saving whales.... Just sayin'.

I'm glad you've brought this up :) I think there's perhaps too much emphasis on SPAG and while I can understand things need to be coherent I do admit I've rolled my eyes on a few occasions when I've seen posts being edited by mods due to "not using a capital I in your post". That's just getting a little over the top in my opinion...it's really not going to make any difference over a post being readable or not and just makes the mod come across as pedantic and a little arrogant.

As a Forum Mod with limited responsibilities I have been editing a significant number of posts in the areas I am responsible for to make them readable. I don't bother with "trivial" issues as I'm too busy off thinking about the more important issues of Darfur, World Peace and the Libyan situation etc. and avoiding being "pedantic and arrogant".

If some members do see spelling and grammar as important they should be entitled to express that view just as others who don't are entitled to express that view.

By posting on the forum, members are agreeing to follow the rules we have laid out at the top of each and every forum. One of these rules is to make a reasonable effort with spelling and grammar, and whilst we don't expect things to be perfect by any means, we do take issue with people persistently not having the courtesy to make an effort.

Just to be clear, moderators are not told to edit every post which has a few capital letters missing - that's not only a waste of time of our time, but it's completely unnecessary to polish every single post to make it perfect. It's when members start to repeatedly post over and over using text speak, or clearly not making any form of effort to use any SPAG, when we will usually just PM a friendly reminder of the rule. Very rarely does it take much more than that for the member to realise their error and post in a way which is tidier and easier to read. Of course there are a few select members who do have genuine issues that they've asked for assistance with, which is one reason why you may see the Mod Edit tags sometimes, and we don't have a problem with that.

As far as we can see the rule isn't a big deal, it's been there since day one (7+ years) and there hasn't been any major issue with it so far. If people do find it too harsh to be expected to make a reasonable effort, then they're free to post elsewhere.

Archived