Does anyone else wish the forum guidelines were followed?

Guest Posy

I quote :

Please use correct spelling, punctuation and grammar (capital letters, full stops, etc) when posting.

Well, why don't people do this?

I don't mean those with obvious genuine difficulties - but why do some people think the rules don't apply to them?

While nobody wants to become overzealous about enforcing the rules regarding spelling and grammar, they are there for a purpose.

Some members of this Forum don't have English as their first language. That's why it's important for us to keep as closely as possible to correct English with correct spelling and punctuation.

As well as that the use of standard English makes the Forum easier to read.

The starter of the thread is only requesting what is already in Forum Rules.

I just don't think it's worth making a big deal over it. Who really cares if people don't use capital letters? I don't think I've ever come across a post that I couldn't understand due to poor grammar or spelling mistakes.

And if the mods are going to get upset about it then perhaps a spell check or auto correct could be installed?

But seriously, people who complain about poor grammar really need to open their eyes and realise there are much bigger issues in the world. Perhaps you could change your focus to protesting about child abuse, stopping the spread of HIV thru African nations or saving whales.... Just sayin'.

I think Spelling and Grammar should be important to everyone. It's easy to come on to a forum and post anything believing that what you do doesn't affect other people so why not use text speak and not bother with using capitals or punctuation. But the thing is what you do here and on other forum transfers to real life. At some point you'll be writing letters and emails, filling in job applications and other forms and how are you going to do that when you can't even be bothered to post a comment correctly let alone respect others enough to make sure your work is legible?

Archived