Dex/April

Apologies for the double post but I need to rant.I've just seen the episode where Dexter and April first kiss and I didn't find it cute, I was actually pretty disgusted with both of them.Were we really meant to find Dexter's "quirky" self-pity about making a play for his friend's girlfriend and getting the knockback endearing?Were we meant to sympathise with him when he whined about how Xavier would hate him if he found out?What April said to him was right:She's got a boyfriend who's supposed to be his friend, turning up at her house and kissing her was monumentally selfish, he shouldn't expect her to swoon into his arms just because he decides to announce that he likes her. And then, having just given Bianca a sanctimonious speech about "cheating on" a guy she wasn't actually dating, she goes against every instinct she's shown in the episode and cheats on Xavier, making her in her own words as bad as Vittorio.I really hated both April and Dexter at that moment and, while that will probably abate once the anger fades, I don't think I'll ever be able to look at either of them with the same fondness again.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been away and only just got caught up to Australian pace.

My 10 cents worth.....

I do wish they could've got together without having to drag Xavier into it again, but H&A love the triangle so what can ya do?

To be fair to April and Dex they did try to stay apart until they could tell Xavier, and she did break up with him pretty fast. Sometimes stories like this drag on for ages. Sure they didn't tell him why she was dumping him and he found out himself, but still, I think it was dealt with pretty well.

Someone complained about how Dex was feeling sorry for himself that Xavier would probably hate him, but what would you have him do? Would you prefer that he didn't care what Xavier thought about him, that he did just steal his friends girlfriend without giving him a second thought?

I'd be more inclined to feel sorry for Xavier if he wasn't such a serial dater. He's heart broken one minute and got a new girl on the go the next minute. How am I supposed to believe he cares about any of his girlfriends when he moves on so quickly? He'd barely broken up with Ruby when he met April. He was chasing Miranda pretty soon after April dumped him. There was literally one episode between Miranda leaving and him getting back with April, and last week he was off with Summer and now he's on to this new girl already. It's probably more the writers fault, but it makes it hard for me to feel sorry for him when he seems to go after anything that moves.

^When did April and Dexter try and stay apart?He goes round to her house and kisses her.She goes round to his house and kisses him.He tries to kiss her when they see each other at school.They go back to her house to make out.They show some token guilt, disappear for a few episodes and then meet up on the beach and kiss again.Some effort.

Someone complained about how Dex was feeling sorry for himself that Xavier would probably hate him, but what would you have him do? Would you prefer that he didn't care what Xavier thought about him, that he did just steal his friends girlfriend without giving him a second thought?

What would I have him do?Keep his hands and his lips to himself.Xavier was his friend, April was Xavier's girlfriend, that makes her off limits.If he didn't want Xavier to hate him, he shouldn't have given him a reason to do so.His concern seemed to be purely for himself and how it affected him.

Yes, Xavier's a bit of a serial monogamist, as is pretty much every character on the show, but that doesn't mean he doesn't care about his girlfriend.He spent quite a few weeks trying to win April back after she dumped him the first time.In my mind, Miranda and Summer were just rebound things anyway.I'd say his and April's respective behaviour, with her being all over Dexter when she's still dating him, gives far more credence to him caring about her than her caring about anyone but herself.

Edited by Red Ranger 1

I really disliked Dex today, but I really, really disliked April. I so hoped Dex was going to man up and put poor Xave out of his misery and wondering what was going on.

I thought once upon a time that Dex and April, two intelligent geeks, would be a good couple, but they just seem to be going up their own arses tbh! :angry: Why couldn't Dex go out with Kate, they had MUCH more chemistry.

• 11 months later...

I was originally intending this post to be quite a positive one, so here goes:I think Dex and April's post-consummation scene was some of the best writing they've had and it reminded me that the pairing did have potential once upon a time.They didn't take themselves too seriously, there was humour, there was the contrast between April being assertive and experienced and Dexter not really having a clue what he's doing but happy to give it a try.It felt like someone had finally remembered who these characters are.

But...I really wish they hadn't got back together because most of their scenes just make me cringe.Especially when they've got a rousing romantic underscore to try and convince me I should be cheering and my heart should be singing at how lovely it all is.It's not quite as bad as the first time they hooked up but again it's not really bringing out the best in either of them.I actually quite like Dexter when he's apart from April but going after her again makes him seem like a selfish jerk, who treats Lottie badly because he's seen something shiny that he likes better, sulks and feels sorry for himself because April's more concerned about her sister being in a coma than him making an inappropriate pass at her and would rather have sex than make sure his sister's all right.And April seems to be far more mature away from his fumbling declarations of love(yeah, like it's her personality he's interested in...):Putting him in the middle of the adult problems she has to deal with just makes him seem out of place.Their first attempt at sleeping together felt like nothing more than April being down and needing to cheer herself up and it's ironic it came so soon after she accused him of taking advantage of Lottie when she assumed they slept together after Lottie had a fight with her mum.Still, if they are going to have them sleep together, I think they did a good job of it:I was having horrible visions of a tacky scene with champagne, candles, fairy lights, rose petals and a big banner saying "Happy Deflowering."

I liked Dex and April when they got together the first time around. I thought they worked well together as a couple. But now I really don't like them as a couple. Dex should of stayed with Lottie. Who I feel were very much suited for each other. It just feels very boring to go back to April and Dex now, I feel like April has just settled for second best with Dex and she still likes Heath. I do find myself rolling my eyes everytime Dex and April tell each other how much they love each other.. I just think April if you had the chance to run off with Heath you would take it and not give Dex a second thought.

I loved these two the first time around but now they've lost everything that was special and unique about them and bore me to tears.

To this day I don't understand why Heath made such an effort with April if he was just using her.It doesn't make sense and makes me sad.They're much better suited.At least they've kept a good bond though.I don't think the writers bargained on them being so popular...The same goes for Dex and Lottie,and even Dallas,imo.

I didn't like Dex with Lottie, at all, but I did like Dallas, I wish they'd kept her around.

I absolutely loved Dex and April the first time around but since they've gotten back together it doesn't feel the same. I still quite like them, and they have some nice scenes together, but it's just not the same as it was.

My issue is with what went on while they were broken up. I didn't like her with Heath, and it's ruined Heath and Bianca for me too, but that's a different issue entirely. They were so well suited when they first got together, after he helped her with the OCD stuff and when he was secretly pining for her when she got back with Xavier. I was so happy when they finally got together, and even after they got together, which sometimes with TV couples is the boring part. But it's just not the same this time around. Maybe it's because every second scene they have together they're jumping into bed. Now I am not a prude, believe me, everyone should get some, but it's almost like their connection now is purely physical where as before it was a much deeper connection, if that makes sense.....

I think the writers shot themselves in the foot by breaking them up, I don't think many people were clamouring for them to get back together by the end and even though they've still got their fans, I think the break showed they can work perfectly well apart.I refuse to believe Heath was just using April, I prefer to think he wanted to be the person she needed but couldn't manage it.I do wonder if they've kept the bond between them because of the fans' reaction or because they saw how well the actors worked together.And I think they may have brought in one too many alternate love interests for Dexter that he chooses April over, even if opinions is divided over who it was.(Personally, I'd rather see him with either and I think Dexter/Lottie was exactly what they were trying to convince us Dexter/April was last year.)

A quick look over this thread will show I was never in favour of them getting together(I thought April was much more suited to Xavier and was disgusted with the way she and Dexter treated him), but I acknowledge that whatever was between them came from a friendship.This time, it's anyone's guess where it came from.April just seemed to view Dexter as a fallback boyfriend, with the way she went running to him for an ego boost when Bianca and Liam were angry with her for telling Heath he was the baby's father, and only really picked up an interest when there was a chance of him ending up with someone else.And while Dexter was quick to start running around after her while Bianca was in hospital, he only seemed to decide he still liked her after he accidentally saw her naked.(And for all her flustered behaviour, it's hard to shake the feeling April knew exactly what she was doing leaving the bathroom door open and wandering around in a towel.)I really can't buy them as soul mates who are "meant to be" but it seems the show's determined to push them as the next best thing.Maybe that's why the physical side is suddenly a lot more prominent, although it's hardly surprising:April got used to an active sex life with Heath and Dexter was hardly going to turn her down.

Once again, the writers have ruined a couple for me by breaking them up and then pairing them off with others before getting them back together. Usually, the way they have characters act when they're apart puts me off them getting back together and that happened again, plus the fact that both Dex and April came off better with their brief relationships. April is much better with Heath (not that I really liked them as a couple, but she seemed to suit Heath better than Dex) and I really liked Dex with Dallas, but once again, it feels like the writers used these brief flings for not only some cheap drama, but to try to prove that the original couple are better suited with each other - only problem is, what I liked about Dex and April the first time around, is no longer there and the writers are trying too hard to convince me that they're a good couple and are focussing too much on the physical side of their relationship.

Last year, early on they used the sex (and Charlie strutting around in her underwear) to sell Chax as some great love (never saw what they had as a great love at all) and now they seem to be doing it with April and Dex and again, I'm not buying it. I'm no prude, but it seems at times, like they're trying to use cheap thrills to sell these couples instead of showing us a real connection as to why they should be together and that shouldn't involve changing characters or having them jump in the sack at the drop of a hat or strutting around half undressed.

Can the writers not come up with interesting drama that keeps couples together instead of tearing them apart, having them sleep with others only to then get back together? It seems to happen far too often these days, especially amongst the younger couples. This year, the writers have pretty much turned me off all relationships of the characters under 35 as they just seem to jump into bed with others the moment they end a relationship or they're just not suited together and for me, it feels forced when the writers pair some of them up and use their sex appeal together or just sexing up things, to try to convince us that these are great couples. It really does become annoying, especially when there are times when they end a really good pairing or don't give a pairing much of a chance, because the writers prefer them with others and seem to feel that endless breakups and sleeping around is somehow interesting drama. It's become a pointless excercise to ship couples in this show, at least amongst the younger characters, as they just end up ruining them for me with their repetative type of storylines or I just can't buy into some of the couples because as far as I'm concerned, they're too incompatible to work without sacrificing a large part of who they are for the other.

Dex and April do provide some humorous moments but I kind of lose interest in Dex when he's with April and this time around, I think Dex and April grew in different directions when they were apart and are no longer suited to each other like they were when they first got together.

Edited by b2sb09