Don't Put Your Face Into Your Hands (by Jen) - comments

Miranda

You have no idea how much this update has cheered me up.

Again, so well written. I love how the story's advancing. Also...

Dex expects Casey to make fun of him, some quick quip about Dex not having any friends because he’s as annoying as Hermione Granger on steroids

Harry Potter reference FTW! (However, I must be one of the few who finds Hermione's know-it-allness cute and endearing, not annoying...)

Edited by Luc

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A nice slow down so we can all get our breath back after the hotness of the last episode! :wub:

Casey's clever isn't he? Going round to Dex's house to 'help him make a video' and asking him- conveniently the brightest student- to help him with his English work. So, if anyone asks, he can innocently say 'he's just helping me with my school work, nothing else is going on.' And going round to Dex's house again instead of putting them in the line of his brothers' awkward questions.

I see also that Casey must have been reading a copy of The Girl's Handbook because he's following the rule: 'act all helpless to get a boy's attention', which has been in force since the year 0. I've never done that of course, no, never...

And sweet lovely Dex still hasn't quite got the idea he's being pursued, bless. He's not quite sure why Casey is seeking him out all the time.

The bits I loved were:

Them gazing at each other, then laughing. :)

The awkward moment on the front doorstep. :wub:

Dex gazing at Casey while he demonstrates mounting his bike! :wink:

Dex re reading his essay for fun :lol:

As well as the entire rest of the scene!

Brilliant Jen, I just love this story. Its so nice and slow moving and subtle. I like subtle, believe it or not....

Edited by Miranda

Luc - I'm so happy I could put a smile on your face :). Yay for the HP reference! Actually, Hermione is one of my favourite characters in the entire series (I totally relate - although I don't think I'm as intense as she can be!), but it was just a random quip that came to me and I just had to use it.

Carina - Thanks for reading and commenting. (As always!)

Zetti - Thanks for reading and liking Dex. He is, unashamedly, my favourite right now.

Red Ranger - Thank you! Dex's head is both simultaneously hilarious and disturbing, with what goes on in there :lol:.

Miranda - Yes, a little break from the increasing intensity was needed. I don't know whether Casey is doing all this stuff deliberately or not. I hadn't actually considered that he would have ulterior motives. (Read: Some sort of recognisable feelings driving his actions.) I guess on some level he does, but also, from Dex's POV he's deconstructing what he expects Casey to be like, and what he actually is. There's a certain amount of Casey still wanting to prove himself, I think. He does have a conscience after all. So glad you are enjoying :).

Well, maybe Casey isn't as devious (in a good way) as I think, but I suppose he must have some kind of feelings, or he wouldn't go near Dex (to state the obvious :lol:). I don't mean he's got bad ulterior motives at all, I just mean he's obviously thought about Dex and the situation more than in earlier episodes and maybe planned it out a bit more. Seeing if Dex likes him hanging around or not.

But as I say, I just love this fic, its so cute and well written. Oh dear, going into gushing mode again :lol: I think we should start a literary discussion group based on H&A characters.

Just at a tangent, my daughter just looked at my avatar of Dex and said she loved him and wanted to marry him, so that could be a complication :lol:

Edited by Miranda

Well, maybe Casey isn't as devious (in a good way) as I think, but I suppose he must have some kind of feelings, or he wouldn't go near Dex (to state the obvious :lol:). I don't mean he's got bad ulterior motives at all, I just mean he's obviously thought about Dex and the situation more than in earlier episodes and maybe planned it out a bit more. Seeing if Dex likes him hanging around or not.

Oh no, that is definitely true. It's just, when I write it, I'm not always thinking in terms of characters and development and internal motivation. Sometimes it's just situations to get the plot moving along, and then I see people (read: you and other awesome people) reading and commenting all detailed and stuff, and I feel bad, so I try and justify it :D.

But as I say, I just love this fic, its so cute and well written. Oh dear, going into gushing mode again. I think we should start a literary discussion group based on H&A characters.

I can feel an idea for a podcast coming on ... where all we do is talk H&A characters and their motivations and who we ship them with. It's a very specific market :P. Of course, the practicality of it, exists in my head only. Or what I type here :wink:.

Just at a tangent, my daughter just looked at my avatar of Dex and said she loved him and wanted to marry him, so that could be a complication.

Hmm... I approve of your daughter's fine choice. I guess I could share ...

Firstly, my daughter's only 5, so I pointed out to her that a)Dex is far too old for her and b) probably bats for the other team. Whereupon she said 'what's bats?' 'whats 'the other team'? And I was led into the discussion about how sometimes boys like girls, sometimes boys like boys and sometimes girls like girls (which I've discussed with her before). So that was interesting and time consuming :lol: So well done Dex for waving the rainbow flag and helping me with my Politically Correct Education Of My Daughter :D

Anyway. Yes. Writers write stuff and readers pick out the meaning. That is Normal. The things people (e.g. you) picked up in stories I've written that I didn't even know were there and hadn't even thought of :o

We could have a discussion group on BTTB with like an essay title every week e.g. 'Homoerotic themes in Home and Away. Discuss.' :lol:

:D

Firstly, my daughter's only 5, so I pointed out to her that a)Dex is far too old for her and b) probably bats for the other team. Whereupon she said 'what's bats?' 'whats 'the other team'? And I was led into the discussion about how sometimes boys like girls, sometimes boys like boys and sometimes girls like girls (which I've discussed with her before). So that was interesting and time consuming :lol: So well done Dex for waving the rainbow flag and helping me with my Politically Correct Education Of My Daughter

Anyway. Yes. Writers write stuff and readers pick out the meaning. That is Normal. The things people (e.g. you) picked up in stories I've written that I didn't even know were there and hadn't even thought of :o

We could have a discussion group on BTTB with like an essay title every week e.g. 'Homoerotic themes in Home and Away. Discuss.'

:D

Aww. Your daughter sounds completely adorable. Dex could always be bi ... That way we all win :wink:.

'Homoerotic themes in Home and Away. Discuss.' Ha! That's all the themes in H&A. I'm sure of this. Plot? What plot? Even if the theme was 'The influence of Mythical Creatures on the Summer Bay culture' I could still bring it back to them all being gay (whether they know it all not) :P..