Don't Put Your Face Into Your Hands (by Jen) - comments

Miranda

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*Squeals* An update! Just before I have to go to work! Bliss! :wub:

He supposes that the first part of Casey’s statement is at least true. Dex accepts that he doesn’t have many friends. He knows this. Hell, he understands why this is the case. But Dex decided long ago that he wasn’t going to change just so he could be invited to parties on a Saturday night and spend his time watching people ingest large amounts of alcohol and make out with one another. Dex has found better ways to spend his time.

This is perfectly written, great characterisation! :)

On the off chance that someone is actually at the door Dex has a list of a dozen names in mind of who it could be. Everyone from Marilyn forgetting her keys, Romeo looking for Indi, or the guy from the neighbouring property asking whether they have seen his dog. What Dex does not expect to find at his front door at 4:37 in the afternoon is Casey, standing before him, school bag slung low over his shoulder, shifting his weight awkwardly from one foot to the other.

Oooh interesting.. it wont be the reveal. You wouldn't be that nice :P:lol:

Hope to see more soon x

Part FourCasey looks up, momentarily startled. But then he’s carefully schooling his features into a blank expression and going back to his work.

Casey is obviously not going to talk, so Dex decides he is going to have to. “Finishing homework? Did you get that book report finished for Mr Copeland’s English class? I mean, The Outsiders should be right up your alley, right? Is that what you’re working on now? Personally, I think contrasting The Socs versus The Greasers is a bit trivial, when really the crux of the story is about how they are the same. But I guess to understand why, you have to start there. To see how they are different before you can identify the similarities --”

Casey’s head snaps up and he’s obviously angry. “I know what it’s about!”

“Okay,” Dex replies, drawing out the vowel slowly. “Just trying to make conversation.”

Oh that bits brilliant with Dex woffling on and Casey interrupting. Made me LOL. And the bit about Casey carefully schooling his features.

Dex accepts that he doesn’t have many friends. He knows this. Hell, he understands why this is the case. But Dex decided long ago that he wasn’t going to change just so he could be invited to parties on a Saturday night and spend his time watching people ingest large amounts of alcohol and make out with one another. Dex has found better ways to spend his time.....This is why Dex chooses to stay out of social situations which might lead to teen angst. It is far too confusing.

Did you know me at school or something? :unsure: I spent all my teenage years like that. You've summarised a whole section of society I reckon: the teenagers who don't fit in and decide they don't want to.

What Dex does not expect to find at his front door at 4:37 in the afternoon is Casey, standing before him, school bag slung low over his shoulder, shifting his weight awkwardly from one foot to the other.

I wasn't expecting that either. I love the way Casey is pursuing Dex. Dex has got used to the idea that no one likes him. But he's Wrong in this case :wub:

Bit of a minor cliffy at the end:What's Casey doing there?

Just a little one :wink:

Oooh interesting.. it wont be the reveal. You wouldn't be that nice :P

Of course not. It's too early for that. We need some more angst first :P.

Oh that bits brilliant with Dex woffling on and Casey interrupting. Made me LOL. And the bit about Casey carefully schooling his features.

Dex says enough for more than two people. Whereas Casey says the absolute minimal amount.

Dex accepts that he doesn’t have many friends. He knows this. Hell, he understands why this is the case. But Dex decided long ago that he wasn’t going to change just so he could be invited to parties on a Saturday night and spend his time watching people ingest large amounts of alcohol and make out with one another. Dex has found better ways to spend his time.....This is why Dex chooses to stay out of social situations which might lead to teen angst. It is far too confusing.

Did you know me at school or something? :unsure: I spent all my teenage years like that. You've summarised a whole section of society I reckon: the teenagers who don't fit in and decide they don't want to.

Uh, no. I don't think so. That is just what I like so much about Dex, is that he's given up on caring what other people think -- Even if his dad thinks he should be more "normal". I guess I didn't do the 'normal teenage thing' either, so I definitely relate.

I love the way Casey is pursuing Dex. Dex has got used to the idea that no one likes him. But he's Wrong in this case :wub:

I think it's not that Dex thinks he's unliked exactly, but more that no one understands him. He has this superiority inside his own head, where he is almost too smart for his own good, and other teenagers don't know how to deal with that. So he's used to going it alone. His relationships are built around things he understands -- like science, and school work, but not really common interests, because no one seems to have those with Dex.

I think it's not that Dex thinks he's unliked exactly, but more that no one understands him. He has this superiority inside his own head, where he is almost too smart for his own good, and other teenagers don't know how to deal with that. So he's used to going it alone. His relationships are built around things he understands -- like science, and school work, but not really common interests, because no one seems to have those with Dex.

Yes, I can see that. I bet he gets that 'you what?' look from everybody all the time :rolleyes:

Red Ranger - Thank you for your comment. Minor cliffhanger will be resolved in the next part. Mostly.

JarlieFanEver - Thank you! In my mind, Dex is a bit of a babbler :P.

Zetti - Glad I could be of service :).

Miranda - *hearts* Thankies!

Carina - You are wonderful, m'dear. Thank you.

alice93 - Thanks for keeping up with this story. Update coming later today (hopefully).