Christopher Fletcher

Guest CharmedKylie

The storyline didn't develop. Chris was confused, Seb was shocked, Nick was portrayed as a nasty piece of work (what's new?), Chris felt better, Chris left. That's how I remember it.

ETA: Compare to Emmerdale's Aaron coming to terms with his sexuality (if you know the storyline). That was powerful and well thought out. Chris' storyline, to me, was the writers' attempt to deal with the issue of homosexuality - and then realise that they didn't know what to do with it.

Interestingly, they didn't learn from their mistake. If I remember correctly, Matilda's friend (Dean??) from the camp she went to for her bulemia acted stangely for a while, kissed a boy from his school and then left at the end of the episode to never be heard from again. Deep.

Speaking of bulemia, Jade's bulemia storyline was even worse, as far as flash-in-pan storylines go. Weeks of build up and anticipation and then Shelley finds out, we see Jade sit on the sofa with a counsellor for all of 15 seconds and the issue is never mentioned again. Why bother to tackle a serious issue if you're not going to see it through? At least Matilda's bulemia had some longevity.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for that summary, Liz :) TBH I don't remember the storyline of Chris at all, so it obviously didn't leave much impression.

You're right about the lack of depth of some storylines... <_<

I was reading about shocking soap storylines in English soaps yesterday. The gay storyline in Eastenders with Barry and Colin apparently caused shock headlines, everyone was horrified etc.

But that was in 1987 FFS! this is 2011, Home and Away, get into the modern age :rolleyes:

I was reading about shocking soap storylines in English soaps yesterday. The gay storyline in Eastenders with Barry and Colin apparently caused shock headlines, everyone was horrified etc.

But that was in 1987 FFS! this is 2011, Home and Away, get into the modern age :rolleyes:

but after the way Joe Public reacted (or were reported to have reacted) after Joey and Charlie in 2009, i'm not surprised they haven't gone back there.

they may also think - and i believe there's some truth in it - that it would be a shocking storyline that would attract some viewers who wouldn't necessarily consider H&A, and who wouldn't be sustainable. they could tune in to see what all the fuss is about, be interested for a week or so and forget about it.

perhaps they don't think it's worth running the risk of losing the proportion of their viewers - so small-minded they would turn off if they saw a couple of women kissing - for a flash in the pan.

but after the way Joe Public reacted (or were reported to have reacted) after Joey and Charlie in 2009, i'm not surprised they haven't gone back there.

they may also think - and i believe there's some truth in it - that it would be a shocking storyline that would attract some viewers who wouldn't necessarily consider H&A, and who wouldn't be sustainable. they could tune in to see what all the fuss is about, be interested for a week or so and forget about it.

perhaps they don't think it's worth running the risk of losing the proportion of their viewers - so small-minded they would turn off if they saw a couple of women kissing - for a flash in the pan.

Its all a debate for them isn't it. Maybe it says more about Joe Public. I just can't believe the difference between English and Australian soaps <_<

I know we are talking Home and Away but whilst we are judging Aussie soaps Neigbours had a gay character come out last year, proved to be popular and is now a permanent character in the show so it just depends how they handle it really. The Charlie/Joey thing was rubbish Imo

whilst we are judging Aussie soaps Neigbours had a gay character come out last year, proved to be popular and is now a permanent character in the show so it just depends how they handle it really.

Well that's good :) I stand corrected.

There was no actual doubt with Christopher and his sexuality. It was more about the reactions of those he had become friends with. I still have a copy of these episodes but it has been a while since I watched though. I might be remembering this wrong but wasn't the original plan supposed to be Seb being gay? I also seem to remember the actor thought it would have been a good plan for the character.

Please correct me if I am wrong :lol: !

I believe the original intention was that Chris was going to kiss Seb(in the finished storyline he tries to kiss him and Seb pulls back)and that was going to result in Seb having doubts about his sexuality, but network interference got in the way.Probably would have made more sense than him and Jade...

Archived