A Little Less Conversation, A Little More Action

Guest Miranda

Story Title: **A Little Less Conversation, A Little More Action**

Type of story: Short/Medium fic.

Main Characters: Casey, Romeo plus many other regulars, no made up ones.

BTTB rating: T/A

Genre: Romance, Comedy, Slash.

Does story include spoilers: Yes for British viewers.

Any warnings: Some swearing, implied sex?

Summary: Casey and Romeo’s bromance gets much hotter than they thought it would. A light hearted story, not angsty. I meant to focus on Casey and Romeo, but the other characters insisted on barging in with their own storylines and opinions. So I wrote what I thought might happen to them in future e.g. Nicole, the Walkers.

Rather late, but I must say that if it wasn't for Jen, I'd never have posted this. She read the first three chapters and insisted (in a non bossy, encouraging way) that I posted it. So thanks to her, really (as well as all the other people who commented and read).

Chapter One

“I always knew you were a skank.”

Ruby jumped. She was walking along the wooded path between the beach and the old surf club, in a world of her own. Romeo and Indy weren’t talking to her or each other anymore, and she wasn’t talking to Casey after his revelations.

Looking up, she saw it was her tormentor, perched on the wooden fence marking the edge of the path.

“You went after him even though he didn’t want you. He never will.” Casey sneered.

“What do you know about him? It’s all your fault anyway.” She flounced off, nose in the air, determined to show him she didn’t care what he did or thought of her. It was Romeo she wanted and still did.

She was shocked when she literally bumped into the man himself a second later. He was only wearing boardies, carrying his board and towel under his arm, so she had to try and not look at his bare, tanned, muscly torso. It reminded her of their night together, but with an effort she managed to glare at his face instead.

“I hope you’re happy!” she snapped.

“You what?” he stared at her blankly.

“You slept with me knowing you didn’t love me and were going back to Indy. Why do you think I slept with Casey?”

“To make me jealous?”

That was what she wanted him to say wasn’t it? He didn’t care what she thought, he didn’t want her. He’d just felt confused and lonely that night and she happened to be there.

“Of course it was!” Tears forced their way out of her eyes. “How stupid was I? Thinking you’d care what I did with Casey!”

Romeo tried to avoid the idea of Casey, his thoughts dodging round the image of Ruby with him.

“Look at you!” she jeered. “Standing there like a slab of meat, no brain, no thoughts.” She was still crying, wishing her love life for once had gone right.

Romeo was amazed she couldn’t see what was going on inside him, wasn’t it obvious? A firestorm of thoughts fighting for dominance. Remembering Ruby in bed, then Indy the next night. Were they different girls or the same? In his mind they merged into one. Other ideas touched him more deeply, ideas he didn’t want to think about, but which kept intruding. The idea of Ruby with Casey made him shudder and his mouth dry up. She shouldn’t be with him, she should be…. Who cares where she should be? Just not with Casey. He swallowed uncomfortably.

“You’re just useless, you know that?” she snapped, then turned and stormed off.

He also turned, in the opposite direction. He felt like he was being drawn towards something, so took a step along the path. There was a figure waiting, sitting on the fence, so casual. Romeo speeded up a little, but not so much as to look eager.

The figure had dark hair and his head was turned away. Short hair, cut into his neck at the back. The shape of that neck and the pale skin, compared to Romeo's own golden tan, did something to him. He took a deep breath.

“Hey,” he said coolly, or as coolly as he could.

“Hey yourself.” Casey turned his head slowly, raising his eyes through fine dark lashes.

“So, you done that English assignment?” What a stupid thing to say, Romeo. How obvious.

“No,” He smiled. “Copeland’s so busy getting me to talk about my problems, he’ll let me off.” The smile turned into a grin and Romeo couldn’t help grinning back. “Good surf?” Casey added.

“Yeah- er- you should have come in….“ He let the sentence trail off vaguely.

“Nah, I’m not built for surfing. Wish I had your body.” Casey looked him up and down so obviously that Romeo blushed like a furnace.

“Shall we- er-“ He didn’t even know what he was suggesting, he just had to say something.

“Walk back to my house?” Casey smiled again, his usually surly expression lifting handsomely. “We could go along the beach.”

Romeo nodded, thinking how cool he was, not tongue tied like himself.

Casey was not feeling cool however. He had practised what to say to Romeo a hundred times and now the moment had come. It was hard not to talk too much, hard not to blurt out his feelings but he had to stay relaxed. It was lucky he had been hiding how he was for years, pretending to go along with his stupid brothers’ and their stupid childish ways. He felt older than them, they had led boring conventional lives all this time, drinking, sleeping with whatever girl they wanted. Whereas he had to pretend. A sudden memory of Ruby and her messy hair on his pillow made him shudder.

“What’s up?” Romeo wanted to touch him, his hand hovered round his shoulder for an awkward pat, then skirted away.

“Nothin’. Come on.” He jumped off the fence and led the way towards Mangrove River, hoping Romeo would follow.

A shriek made them both jump, and turn. Nicole was staggering towards them, clutching her stomach.

“I think the baby’s coming, Romeo, please!”

Chapter Two

“God, Nic!” He ran towards her and helped her sit down for a minute, beckoning Casey over.

Romeo checked his pockets and towel for his phone. Damn! Where was it? He looked about on the ground.

“You can borrow my phone if you like,” offered Casey.

“Yeah, thanks, where is it?”

“In here.” He grinned, gesturing to his shorts pocket.

“Oh- oh- another contraction,” Nicole leant forward onto hands and knees, panting.

Romeo shrugged despairingly, and shoved his hand into Casey’s pocket, wondering if he was being made a fool of.

“Mm,” he grinned. “A bit to the left.”

Romeo tutted, pulled out the phone and dialled 000, but smiled to himself.

They sat with Nicole on the path, both holding her hands and comforting her as her contractions increased.

“What if someone comes along?” she complained. “I’ll look like such a loser.”

“Giving birth’s a natural part of life. If they don’t understand that, they can get lost,” said Romeo, who felt quite relaxed, to his surprise. He hadn’t felt like this for ages. All that stuff with Indy, the arguments, the constant falling out and in. So tiring and unnecessary. Here he was with his two favourite people with help on its way.

“Here’s the ambos,” said Casey, standing up.

The medics hurried up and soon had Nicole on a stretcher.

“Are you her next of kin?” one asked Romeo.

“Er- yeah, I guess I am.”

“Better come with her then.”

“I’ll see you around?” Casey made as if to leave.

“No, come with me, I’ll need you,” Romeo said quickly. “I should phone Marilyn and Sid.”

The ambulance drivers had set off with Nicole, so Romeo grabbed him by the arm and dragged him along after them.

At the hospital, Dr Young and his harem of nurses bustled about settling Nicole down.

Marilyn and Sid bustled in to take charge. There was generally a lot of bustling going on in the hospital that day.

Casey and Romeo sat in the waiting area. Waiting. A nurse had given Romeo spare t-shirt and shoes as it was getting late and chilly. The t shirt was rather tight but it was okay.

“You did good back there. I’d have freaked,” said Casey, looking directly at him. Of course Romeo had noticed ages ago that his eyes were steel blue with black lashes.

“I did freak, didn’t you notice? I was panicking. What if the ambos hadn’t come? What if you hadn’t got your phone? What if-“

“Calm down! You did the right thing. Everything’s fine.” Casey put his hand on Romeo’s hand and squeezed it.

“That’s the thing, though isn’t it? You tell me to be calm, and you sit there with your hand on mine, with your big eyes and your great body and your-“

My great body? What about yours? What do you think you do to me every time you walk by?” Casey felt he was more in control. He’d carried his secret for- what- ten years? More? Romeo hadn’t, that’s what his instinct told him. Romeo had hidden it somewhere in a dark room in his mind and ignored it. Playing the straight hunk for dear life.

He laced his fingers in with Romeo’s, hoping he wouldn’t resist.

“When you gonna walk me back home then?”

“Soon.” Romeo looked up and Casey was almost shocked by the desire in his teal eyes. He had seen that look before, kind of shadowed, as if he was thinking things which couldn’t be said out loud. But not directed at him til now.

“Remember that time on the beach, when my brother said about getting Copeland to drop the charges?” he said quickly, taking the chance. “You walked past. All I could think was, I wanted to grab you and-“

“It’s a lovely baby girl,” announced Marilyn, hurrying up. “Oh, oh, sorry was I interrupting?” she looked confused, but then she was easily confused.

“Er- yes- no-” Romeo stuttered. “Congratulations, how’s Nic? can we see her?” Are you taking the baby home now?” He fired questions to distract her from the fact that he was still holding Casey’s hand.

“Oh, the baby’s going to stay in hospital until she’s had tests-“ Marilyn started babbling on and Romeo nodded politely at intervals, while concentrating on the fingers interlocked with his, the hard bones, the soft fleshy palm, connecting him with Casey.

Romeo had known something was happening the moment he saw Casey at the beach, sitting on the fence while the other Braxtons told him what to do about Miles. Their eyes had met but of course then he hadn’t known what was going on. He was still going out with Indy, part of a normal couple. He remembered all that fuss and bother with her, thinking she was going to split up with him, which had led to sleeping with Ruby. If only he’d just said to Indy that day: “sorry, we have to split up, I’m not meant to be with you.” So much trouble would have been saved. He could have just gone up to Casey and said… what would he have said?

“Wake up,” Casey was shaking his hand. “You were miles away. Marilyn said we could go and see Nicole and the baby now.”

“Oh- er- yes.” He regretfully unhooked his fingers from Casey’s.

They went into the room to see a pale, exhausted Nicole and a baby in a crib next to her.

“Nic!” Romeo gave her a gentle hug.

“Thanks for being here for me. I don’t know what I’d have done without you and Casey.” She smiled weakly.

“Just you rest, Nicole,” said Marilyn brightly. “Don’t you worry about a thing, everything will be taken care of.”

“It seems I need to thank you. Both of you,” said Sid formally from by the window. “I- Marilyn and I- are glad you were both there.” He shook Casey’s hand and Romeo turned to shake his hand too. Sid’s eyes were cold however.

“I’m sorry I hurt Indy, Doctor Walker,” said Romeo. “I- I was very confused.”

“Well, I’m not pleased with you about that, Romeo, but-“

“Don’t be silly, Sid,” trilled Marilyn. “Young people make mistakes, I’m sure you and I did when we were young, I know I did. Forgive and forget, that’s what I say!” her laugh tinkled like a bell.

Romeo noticed Casey was rolling his eyes and tried not to laugh.

“I’m really tired, I’d like to be alone now,” said Nicole.

“Of course, come along everyone.” Sid herded them all out.

“Romeo. Stay a minute.”

He obeyed at once.

“So, what’s going on with you?” she asked, wise as ever. “I know something’s changed.”

Chapter Three

He didn’t know what to say.

“You look happier these days,” she continued. “I’m so glad to see it after all that stuff with Ruby and Indy. You’ve sorted it out?”

“Yeah. Kind of.”

“Hm. You’ve got something to tell me, but it can wait, I guess. I’d like to rest now.”

He knew she wouldn’t let this go, but it didn’t matter. Life was looking up at the moment.

“You’re quite a hero,” said Casey as they walked home together. Sid and Marilyn had offered a lift but Romeo refused, saying they would be alright walking. It was early morning but so what.

“Me?”

“Yeah. You helped Nicole, you apologised to Sid, you even put up with that woman Marilyn rabbiting on.”

“Never thought of myself as a hero before.” The road was dark and deserted, bordered by endless trees, but the moon was nearly full, lighting their way.

“Romeo, you’re just-“ Casey stopped and shrugged. “I don’t know what you are. I like you a lot.”

“I-“

“Don’t interrupt. I like you, I want to be your friend, but-“

“Oh. You want to be my friend.” Romeo suddenly felt cold. The hospital shoes were very uncomfortable, he hadn’t noticed before.

“I just- I want to be more than your friend, I want- it’s alright if you don’t want more but I just do want more.“ Casey couldn’t stop himself blurting it all out, even though he knew it was so stupid, but the way Romeo looked at him, surely he hadn’t misunderstood that. “Sorry. I had to tell you.”

Romeo paused, thoughts whirling.

“Say something? Even if its **** off you queer bastard.” Casey half laughed but was prepared for a sudden punch in the face. He’d been brought up like that. Punches for far lesser reasons than admitting something like this.

“I’d have to say that to myself then,” Romeo laughed uneasily. He stepped towards Casey and put his arms round him, stroking his hair and neck. His hair was fine and soft, unlike Romeo’s own honey coloured, wavy mane that was hard to control unless kept short.

Casey rested his head on his shoulder in relief, feeling his breathing slow down against him. They stood like that for a while in the moon light, just holding each other, muscle against muscle.

Casey looked up and gazed into his eyes. Romeo kissed him gently on the lips, those full lips he’d thought about for a while. He tasted slightly bitter, but it wasn’t unpleasant. A tremor went through him, something strong he’d never felt before, and he found himself shoving Casey against a convenient tree and kissing him passionately, his tongue deep into his mouth. Casey wasn’t resisting though. Far from it, he was kissing him back equally hard.

They had to stop for breath eventually of course. The noise of a car roaring past and lighting up the road made them jump, and Romeo pushed Casey back into the shadows.

“I thought that might be your brothers looking for you,” he explained.

“Yes, I better get home. I don’t want go home now though.”

“My house is nearer. You could stay over.”

There was a loaded pause.

“Wouldn’t your family mind?”

“Nah. Its only Miles and Morag, they’re pretty old so probably asleep. We can sneak in.”

“Better phone my brothers.” He made a quick call. Romeo could hear there was a lot of ‘uh huh’, ‘mm’ etc. from the person on the other end. They didn’t seem to care much where Casey was, he thought disapprovingly.

So he took his hand protectively and they set off along the road. The dull road seemed attractive tonight. The moonlight added dramatic blue and black shadows, the stars glimmered and sparkled. It was a pleasant walk for once with only one annoyance.

“This bloody t-shirt,” complained Romeo. “It’s so tight I can hardly move.”

“I think you look hot.”

“I think it makes me look gay.”

Casey burst out laughing. “You just stuck your tongue down my throat and you’re worried about a t-shirt making you look gay?”

“Oh, yeah, good point.” Romeo laughed too, at himself.

At the hospital, Nicole and the baby were fast asleep.

“Sid, I think something’s going on between Romeo and the Braxton boy,” whispered Marilyn to Sid.

“Going on? What do you mean?”

“I’m sure they were holding hands when I went to tell them about the baby.”

“Surely not, Marilyn, you must be mistaken.”

“I am not! I know what I saw. I’m not stupid!”

“Well, it would explain why he broke up with Indy. No, I can’t believe it. Romeo isn’t gay. Is he?”

Nicole had woken briefly and heard all this. She smiled to herself. She’d known something was going on with her ‘brother’ and now she knew. It was quite sweet really. There had obviously been tension between him and Casey and that was what it meant.

At Summer Bay House, Romeo sneaked in the back door. There was no one around, it was dark and quiet, so he beckoned Casey and they tiptoed up to Romeo’s room, trying not to giggle.

“Romeo? Is that you?” called Miles, and footsteps approached. Romeo quickly shoved Casey into his bedroom.

“How are you? I heard what you did for Nicole. Really great job, mate.” He patted Romeo’s shoulder.

“Thanks. Yeah, it was good I was there. I’m really tired now, I’m going to bed.”

“Of course, see you tomorrow.”

Breathing a sigh of relief, Romeo went into his room to find Casey hovering by the window.

“You can have the bed, I’ll sleep on the floor if you want,” Romeo offered.

“Oh, be serious.”

“Come on then.” Romeo took off the hated t-shirt with a struggle and got into bed with relief. What a long, emotional day.

Casey did the same. He’d never met anyone as nice as Romeo before: he was the hottest guy in the bay, he was funny, kind, thoughtful. He sighed contentedly and snuggled up to him. They fell asleep within a few minutes as they were so tired.

When Romeo woke up the next morning, he thought what a brilliant dream he’d had last night. He felt content and relaxed. Then realised a dark head was resting on his shoulder, his arms round him. Casey. So it hadn’t been a dream. It felt so comfortable. He knew Casey wouldn’t ask him stupid questions about where their relationship was going, should they sleep together or did he love him. They would just be together day by day. Funny how he was so certain. He hadn’t been so with Annie or Indy.

A knock at the door made him jump, and woke Casey.

Chapter Four

“What’s -“ mumbled Casey sleepily.

“Sh!” Romeo put his hand over his mouth.

“Are you decent?” called Miles.

“Er- no! Not at all, no!”

“I’m sorry to do this to you today, but I’ve had to move the revision lesson to this morning. You need it, I’m not going to let you fail again. Sorry. See you at school.”

“Okay, thanks!”

Romeo and Casey exchanged glances.

“Looks like I’ll have to go out the window,” shrugged Casey.

“Okay.”

“Done it before.”

“Have you?”

“I mean, when I’ve helped my brothers steal stuff. I used to be the smallest, so in the window I went.”

He put his t-shirt on, kissed Romeo, then wriggled out of the window like a monkey, obviously used to it.

Romeo made a face, unsure whether to be concerned or admiring.

At school, they sat in their usual places, Romeo near the back, Casey right at the back in the corner. Casey had the advantage now, he could just watch Romeo all lesson whereas Romeo couldn’t see him.

Miles droned on about something for ages, then turned to the board to write notes. Quick as a flash, Casey stuck a note on Romeo’s desk. Reading it, he chuckled.

“Want to share that with the class?” asked Miles. Teachers always had eyes in the back of their heads.

Romeo shook his head, so Miles impatiently took it from him.

“Nice t-shirt,” he read. “What’s funny about that?”

Romeo just laughed, then Casey started laughing too.

“I take it you wrote this, Casey? I don’t get the joke, but please stop writing notes.”

The other students looked at each other in confusion. Luckily Ruby was absent.

It was hopeless for the rest of the lesson though. Romeo and Casey kept giggling and after a while Miles lost patience.

“I know you two are very tired after helping Nicole with her baby last night. I think you better go home and get some sleep. You can get the notes from another student later. Off you go.”

Needing no other prompting, they set off.

“Back to my place? If your brothers won’t be worried?”

“Nah, they won’t care.” They set off briskly and luckily Morag was out, so they could go back to Romeo’s room uninterrupted.

When Miles got home from school, he nipped up to check on Romeo. Hearing snores, he quietly pushed the door open. He was shocked to see Casey cuddled up to Romeo in his bed, both fast asleep.

Being an open minded type of guy, Miles wasn’t going to fuss, so crept softly back downstairs.

Now he thought about it, the signs had all been there - giggling in class, passing notes to each other- he must be getting old not to have realised. He had seen this happen so often while teaching classes, but this time he would have to have a word to Romeo about it. The Braxtons were trouble: maybe not Casey but he doubted his brothers would be open minded about it.

Romeo eventually came downstairs, yawning.

“Hey Miles.” He went to the kitchen and started making sandwiches, piling them up.

“You must be hungry.There's enough for two there.”

“Uh huh.” Romeo didn’t look at him.

“Romeo. You can bring Casey down for tea, he doesn’t have to hide upstairs.”

There was an awkward pause.

“You been spying on us?”

“I was just checking you’d got some sleep, I didn’t know he was there. Sorry, I made a mistake. But don’t feel like you can’t tell me stuff.”

Romeo turned his back, not knowing what to say, emotions struggling in his mind.

“Anyway, it’s up to you, dude.” Miles turned back to his paper.

Romeo strode back upstairs and returned a few minutes later with Casey.

“Hello, Casey,” Miles nodded pleasantly. “Help yourself to food. You two did Nicole a big favour last night, you were there when she needed you.”

“So if we hadn’t done well yesterday, you wouldn’t be cool with him being here?” Romeo seemed to be looking for an argument.

“No, that’s not what I’m saying. I’m just saying there isn’t a problem, so why make one up?”

“Thanks Mr Copeland.” Casey took charge, arranging the sandwiches on plates and taking them to the table. “Have you eaten?”

“Yes, thanks, I had a snack. We have a cooked meal later, when its cooler. Do you want to stay?”

Casey’s expression was like that of a starving dog which suddenly finds itself in a butcher’s shop. He glanced at Romeo, who smiled encouragingly.

“I will then. Thanks.”

“It doesn’t seem like his brothers care where he is,” said Romeo.

“Yes, I need to talk to you about them,” replied Miles.

“So, talk to me now.”

“All I’m saying is just be careful. I can’t imagine they’d be open minded and tolerant about you two.”

Casey sniggered. “You got that right.”

“We’ll be okay. We just won’t tell them.”

Miles sighed. That would be easier said than done in Summer Bay.

We shouldnt fall out over a boy. Please forgive me. Can we meet up to talk?

The text from Ruby had shocked Indy, but she had decided to hear what she had to say. Indy felt so much happier now she had Eduardo, her university boyfriend. He was from Brazil, very exotic, swarthy and much hotter than Romeo had ever been.

They met at the juice bar the next day.

“Hi Indy.” Ruby looked demure and contrite. “I just want to be your friend again.”

“You slept with my boyfriend. Before I did. How can I forgive you for that?”

“I was an idiot, I know. I just fancied him so much, I should have waited til you split up-“

Indy’s eyes widened. “Waited til we split up?”

“Oh, no, I didn’t mean-“

“You thought we were going to split up?”

“Well, you did!”

“Only cos of you!”

“So you think you’d still be with Romeo if it wasn’t for me?”

Chapter Five

Indy paused. Would she really prefer Romeo over Eduardo? She took a slurp of her smoothie.

“Um… no, we wouldn’t. All we did was sit around talking about our relationship without actually having one. Have you seen him lately?”

“Yes. He’s changed, he always seems to be laughing these days.”

“Laughing?” Indy tried to remember him laughing when she was with him. She couldn’t.

“I’ve never seen him like that. Obviously you and I didn’t make him happy.”

“No. He was always very- er- very-“

“What?”

“Intense. I always got the feeling that there was a lot he didn’t say, he kept it inside and was thinking about heaps of stuff he didn’t tell me.”

Ruby nodded. “He’s difficult to work out. But he’s not interested in us, that’s for sure.”

Indy paused.

“So, how’s school?”

“It’s okay. It’s not much fun actually now I don’t talk to Romeo or Casey. And you aren’t there to talk to either. There’s April, Dex and Xavier of course but they seem to go round in a three these days. It’s funny, Xave and Romeo used to be so close but they aren’t at all now. Romeo hangs around with Casey mostly.”

“So you’re on your own.”

Indy wasn’t fooled. Ruby wanted a cool university friend so she could feel she was above the school kids. Well, she wasn’t going to put herself out to be friends with her, but she could use her for a chat when she didn’t have anything better to do. Their friendship would never recover from the Romeo incident, but they could be civil.

Nicole came home from hospital the next day. The baby had gone with Marilyn and Sid.

“It’s such a relief you know. I sound like the world’s worst woman but I just feel like I’ve got my life back. Being pregnant was stopping me living my life.”

“It’s alright, I know what you mean.” Romeo sat on the sofa with Nicole’s feet on his lap. Casey was making cups of tea for them all. “I can’t imagine being like that, it must be awful.”

She leant closer. “So what’s the story with him?” she jerked her head towards Casey.

“Well… whatever you’ve probably heard is true. We’re together.”

“Oh, my God!” Nicole put her hands to her mouth. “That’s amazing! How did that happen?”

“Er- the normal way.”

“Oh, yes, I meant I’m surprised, that’s all.”

“You can stop talking about me now,” interrupted Casey, bringing the tea.

“As if we’d be talking about you, dude,” grinned Romeo.

There was an awkward pause.

“Shall I leave you two to have a brother sister chat thing?”

“Come back in an hour?”

“Okay.” Casey leant forward to kiss him, then took his tea out into the garden.

Nicole was staring.

“Sorry, just not used to seeing you two doing that. I wondered why you were together when you took me to hospital.”

He shrugged.

“So, do you feel any regrets about the baby?”

“No… that sounds so awful but I don’t. She’ll have a better life with Sid and Marilyn. I can visit when I want. And I can get on with my life.”

He was quiet.

“What’s wrong?”

“Just wondering if you’d seen Indy or Ruby. I was so stupid with them.”

“Well… we all make mistakes. I’m the last one to judge anyone, aren’t I?”

“Yeah, I was just hiding from myself, not accepting myself.”

“You’re so much more relaxed now though. It’s good. You were so… guarded… before. You never let it out. I felt you were simmering all the time, ready to explode.”

“Guess I was. Just letting it all hang out now,” he chuckled.

“Does Casey live here?”

“More or less. He hates Heath, he won’t have anything to do with him anymore.”

“Do Ruby and Indy know about you and him?”

“Dunno. They’d be surprised.”

“Maybe. Or relieved. Or sad in Ruby’s case.”

“Does she still like me?”

“I think so.”

He shrugged. “Can’t believe I slept with her.”

“Can’t believe I slept with Penn, but it happens. Anyway, it’ll all work itself out.”

School went on, life went on. Casey stayed in Summer Bay House, avoiding returning to Mangrove River.

Brax came round once to talk to him and they sat outside.

“I’m not going back there!” he snapped, the old sullen Casey returning. The one Romeo hadn’t seen for a while. He watched him talk to his brother from the kitchen while pretending to wash up.

“I’m not going back there, not while Heath’s there. He has to go.”

“I can’t just chuck him out, can I?”

“I’m. Not. Coming. Back.” He stood up, and stamped into the kitchen.

“Do you want-“ began Romeo. But he walked straight past him upstairs.

Brax followed a minute later.

“He’s made up his mind, hasn’t he?” he said mildly.

“Uh huh.” Romeo didn’t know what to make of him. “Drink?”

“What you got?”

“Water, juice, tea, coffee. The usual.”

“Okay, juice.”

Romeo threw a bottle of orange to him.

“He can’t stay here.”

“Why not?”

“He just- he should be with his family, not you.”

Romeo shrugged. “It’s his choice. I’m not stopping him doing anything.”

“You are though. He wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for you.”

“Obviously.”

Brax downed the orange juice quickly as it was a particularly hot day.

“He has to come home. Your life won’t be very pleasant if he doesn’t.”

“Better not be threatening me, dude.”

They glared at each other.

Oh, its all kicking off now! Argh!

Chapter Six

“I wasn’t threatening you," said Brax.

“Sure sounded like it.”

“All I’m saying is that Casey belongs with his brothers, not here. You can still see him though.”

“Oh, thanks for that. But we don’t need your approval.”

Brax stepped forward, so Romeo did.

“Actually, you do, legally I’m his-“

“Yeah? You’re legally his what?”

“Is everything alright here?” asked a sharp, familiar voice behind Romeo.

“Fine thanks, Mrs Bellingham,” he said, still glaring at Brax.

“Thanks for the juice.” Brax decided to leave before he lost his temper. “Bye Casey!” he yelled towards the stairs.

“**** you!” came the muffled reply and Romeo sniggered.

Brax knew when he was beaten and strolled off.

“Well, I’ll leave you to it,” said Morag coolly, gliding away to fetch her files from the car.

“Has he gone?” asked Casey a few minutes later, hovering in the doorway to the stairs.

“Yep.”

“I’m not going back to live with them, whatever they say. I’m nearly eighteen, they can’t-“

“Sh, come on.” Romeo beckoned him over and put his arms round him, stroking his hair. I’m very weird, he thought. Getting turned on by his hair.

“Why are you laughing? It’s very off putting,” muttered Casey into his shoulder.

“Sorry. I was just thinking how weird I am.”

“Ha ha, if you’re weird, I’m double weird.” He looked up and kissed him, pushing him backwards. They didn’t realise it was the stove they were leaning on.

“Gentlemen!” said Morag, her arms full of legal files. “I respect your right to express yourselves, but if you carry on like that you’ll set fire to yourselves as well.”

“We set fire to the house with the heat of our Lerve,” chuckled Casey, helping Romeo up.

“Ow. Ow. Ow,” complained Romeo, adjusting his clothing. “I’m going to have stove marks on my back forever now.”

“It’s not gonna to be forever, you dill.”

Morag coughed. “I hate to bring down your playful mood, but Casey, why was your brother here a minute ago? He seemed angry.”

He bristled. “He wants me to go back and live with them but I’m not going! End of.”

He glared at Morag and she was the first to look away, to Romeo’s surprise and admiration. He stroked his arm to calm him.

“In that case, I think we need to look into the legal aspects of this. I take it Darryl Braxton is your legal guardian?"

“Yes, now mum is in the clinic.”

“Miles, or even I, could become your guardian instead. Then you could live here with no worries about a court sending you back to your brothers.”

He thought about this.

“However, if you’re going to live here, you must have your own room, not share Romeo’s. Then you would be seen as a permanent resident, not just a guest.”

“Well… at least I wouldn’t have someone snoring and stealing the doona,” he mused.

“Me stealing it? Me? It’s you who-“

“Calm down, alright?” he said smugly. “Losing your temper never gets you anywhere.”

“But you’re the one who always-“ Romeo made an exasperated noise and subsided into muttering darkly to himself.

“Gentlemen, please,” said Morag. “I’ll look into this case and let you know. Now, I need to get on with business matters.” Giving her usual ferocious smile, she breezed out.

Casey and Romeo barely had time to look at each other when someone else came to the back door. It was Ruby.

“Er- is Nicole in?” she faltered, unnerved by seeing two boys she had slept with in the same room.

“Yes, but she’s asleep upstairs.” Romeo was polite, but Casey glared at her.

“Oh, I’ll go then.”

“Yes, you’d better. We don’t want-“ said Casey, but Romeo put a restraining hand on his arm.

“You can have a cold drink if you like, it’s hot out there.”

Ruby considered.

“Okay. Thanks.”

Romeo went to get the drink from the fridge and Ruby hovered by the table. Casey frowned at them both.

“How are you?” asked Romeo.

“I’m okay.” She wished Casey would go away so she could talk to Romeo alone.

“I’m really sorry about how I treated you,” blurted Romeo. “And Indy. I don’t know what I was thinking. Sorry.”

“Th-thanks.” She could feel Casey’s eyes on her. What was the matter with him?

“We’re half way there in year twelve now, aren’t we?” Romeo also felt awkward, with his one-time girlfriend and current boyfriend in the same room.

“Yes, I’m sure you won’t fail this time.” She put her hand on his arm, but he shook it off.

“I’m going for a walk,” said Casey. “Try not to have sex while I’m away.” He shot Romeo a nasty look and strode out.

“What’s his problem?”

“Jealous.” Romeo wondered if she’d understand his meaning.

“Jealous?” Ruby’s mind was working overtime. “Of me talking to you?”

“Yep.”

“So, does he still like me?”

“Nope.”

“What’s he doing here, anyway?”

“He lives here now.”

“Oh! So that’s why you’ve been hanging around with him all the time.”

“Kind of.” This was like pulling teeth. Did he have to spell it out to her in words of one syllable?

“I thought you didn’t get on with him.”

“Well, I do now. Really well.”

Ruby was silent.

“So, he was jealous of you and me talking, but not cos he likes me. And he lives here… oh my god!”

Romeo waited to see if she’d worked it out or had some strange other idea.

“You and Casey are- are- together?”

He nodded.

“So that’s why you kept fighting and there was all this tension and-“ she looked horrified. “As you both slept with me, do you talk about me?”

“Of course we don’t.”

“That’s kind of gross. I slept with you two and now you’re sleeping together. I need to go now.” She flounced out.

“That went well,” he said out loud to himself.

He’d hoped Ruby had grown out of making everything about her, but obviously not. But anyway, what did it matter what she thought?

Ruby was texting Indy as she walked.

ohmygod, you won’t guess what I found out. Meet me asap?

Indy was in a lecture, so her phone was on silent, but two hours later she met Ruby at the juice bar.

Ruby was already waiting in excited anticipation.

“I went round to Romeo’s,” she said dramatically. “And guess what?”

“I don’t know.” Indy didn’t want to play games. “Tell me.”

“Casey is living there.”

“Oh. Wow. I’m overcome with excitement.”

“No, I mean he’s living with Romeo. They are together, as in a couple.”

“What? No, you must be wrong.” Indy couldn’t have looked more bewildered, to Ruby’s delight. “Romeo and Casey are together?”

Warning: Sexual Content in this chapter

Chapter Seven

Ruby nodded and the two girls were lost in thought for a while.

Indy was so happy these days with Eduardo. After what happened with Romeo, she’d tried to make a fresh start at university, and luckily there were so many hot guys there, she’d had countless distractions. Then along came Eduardo… she smiled to think of him. He hadn’t messed her about wondering whether he loved her or not, he’d known he wanted her and swept her off her feet like she’d always secretly dreamed about. He was twenty two, much more mature than the Summer Bay school boys and would never act like Romeo. But if Romeo had been struggling with his own demons, perhaps she should be more forgiving towards him. He couldn’t help being confused.

Ruby felt like she’d been left out of a group. She’d been the centre of attention between Casey and Romeo, or so she thought, but obviously it had all been false and there had been more going on than she realised. It was a massive insult that they didn’t want her. And at the moment there was no potential boyfriend in her life, so she felt unattractive. However, it wasn’t her fault if Casey and Romeo didn’t like her, was it? She couldn’t change into a man.

“So that is why Romeo messed us about. It wasn’t our problem at all, it was his,” she said aloud.

Indy considered this. “Being gay isn’t really a problem though, is it? Some people are gay, that’s life.”

“I can’t believe I fancied him all that time.” Ruby clutched her throat. “Kind of gross him being with Casey Braxton, ugh!”

“Ruby! You can’t say that! It’s not gross!”

“Don’t you agree though? I slept with both of them and now they’re sleeping together.”

“It’s just life, Ruby. **** happens. Next you’ll be saying we turned him gay.” She felt satisfied when Ruby’s eyes widened.

“I turned both Romeo and Casey gay? Oh my god.”

“Rubes, I was joking! You can’t turn people gay. They are or they aren’t.”

“What sort of girlfriend am I, turning boys gay? I must have really put them off girls, I must be really-”

Indy sighed and gave up, letting her ramble on. Ruby was still so young, whereas she had moved on to university, surrounded by gay, lesbian, transsexual, bisexual people as well as those from other countries, religions, backgrounds. On impulse she texted Romeo. She had kept his number, unable to bear deleting it despite everything.

Ruby told me about you + Casey. Im pleased for you, love Indy.

She was amazed to get a quick reply.

Thanks. Sorry about everything. Hope uni is good. Romeo.

Ruby was still chattering about school and her own life, so Indy let her continue, taking the opportunity to think about Eduardo instead. Perhaps she could go to Brazil with him in the vacation, she’d always wanted to go to South America.

The next day, Romeo and Casey were sitting on the beach doing their homework, leaning on each other back to back. It was English, one of Casey’s least favourite subjects, so he was picking Romeo’s brains.

They didn’t notice Heath Braxton marching towards them til he was two feet away. Romeo stood up in anticipation.

“Oi! You!” Heath stabbed his finger in Romeo’s chest. “Leave my little brother alone, you pervert.” A strong smell of alcohol reached Romeo’s nose.

Casey stood up too, in concern.

Romeo folded his arms and glared at Heath, like Superman at Lex Luthor. Casey half expected him to levitate six inches off the ground, like the Man of Steel was fond of doing.

“You’re a loser! You’re coming home with me, Casey!”

He shook his head. “No way.”

“So you think keeping him away from his family is okay?”

“It’s up to him,” Romeo shrugged.

“You watch out or I’ll bash you! Know what I mean?”

“I think you’re suppressing your own passionate feelings for me, that’s why you’re acting out your aggression.” Romeo hadn’t studied psychology for nothing.

Casey sniggered.

Heath’s jaw dropped and he seemed to inflate with rage. “You dickhead!”

Brax suddenly appeared from nowhere, running.

“Leave it!” He dragged Heath away. “You can’t risk it, not with your record!”

“You’re lucky I didn’t deck you!” Heath shouted.

“Yeah? Bring it on!” returned Romeo.

“Forget about him,” said Casey. “Come and help me.”

He pulled him down to sit on the sand again and leant on him as they looked at the English work. He wasn’t scared of Heath with Romeo around, especially as he was still laughing at what Romeo had just said to him.

Marilyn and Sid had organised the baby’s christening. It was to be a major event. Elijah was officiating in the church and all the Bay inhabitants were invited.

“Are you okay about going to this?” Romeo asked Nicole in the morning. She was sitting at her dressing table, arranging her hair.

“I think so. Can I sit next to you and Casey, for moral support? In case I cry or something?”

“Sure.”

“I’m worried about her, Case,” he said a few minutes later. “I keep expecting her to scream and shout and want the baby back, or something.”

“You can’t do much except be there though, can you?” He stroked his arm.

“No, but- we’ll just keep an eye on her, won’t we?”

“Okay. Come on, we should get our suits on.”

They were getting changed in Romeo’s bedroom.

Dressing in a hurry, neither had noticed the other’s clothes, so when they were finished, they both stood back in shock.

Romeo’s suit was mid grey with an azure shirt and his tawny hair was neat for once. The colours made his eyes look more deep blue than green. He wore that half smile- do I like you or don’t I?- that Casey couldn’t resist.

Casey’s suit was charcoal with a pale blue shirt and his hair hadn’t been cut for a while, so it was enticingly tousled. His skin was clear, his eyes steel blue and his lips had that sulky pout.

They regarded each other for a moment.

“For a surfer dude, you sure look hot in formal gear,” said Casey, failing to tie his tie.

“You- you don’t look so bad yourself,” Romeo stuttered, tripping over his tongue.

They both stepped forward at the same time and kissed, tongues and teeth clashing in their urgency. Romeo’s fingers twined in Casey’s hair, his other hand was under his jacket, stroking his back, pressing their bodies together. Casey had both his arms round Romeo’s neck. He moved his hands down over his shoulders and pulled off his awkward, starched jacket. Then Romeo did the same to him, ripping his shirt off too, so roughly that a couple of the buttons flew off. They carried on kissing, Casey’s naked skin making Romeo’s chest hot under his shirt.

Casey pushed him onto the bed, then shoved him onto his back and undid his shirt. He lay half on top of him, kissing his lips, jaw, neck and down his chest. Romeo arched his back a little in pleasure, just letting it happen. Casey slowly kissed and licked his way down his body, all over the tanned well-defined muscles. Romeo sneaked a look at the dark head moving down him and thought… Actually he didn’t think anything, he could only feel by that stage. He groaned, making Casey smile to himself. He liked that sound. He wanted to make Romeo feel good in whatever way he could, and slowly ran his tongue down to his navel, torturing him by taking forever.

An impatient knock at the door made them jump and desires begin to subside.

Chapter Eight

“The car’s here!” said Nicole’s voice. “What’s taking you two so long? Actually, don’t answer that. Just hurry up!”

Casey sighed, and rested his head on Romeo’s abs for a second, then looked up inquiringly.

“We have to go. We can’t let them down,” said Romeo gruffly as his mouth was completely dry.

“You’re too nice to people.” He sat up. “You should be nice to yourself for a change.”

Romeo sighed, and ruffled his hair.

“But it’s not like the christening will go on all day and all night, is it?” Casey continued, straightening his clothes.

“No. We could leave early, couldn’t we?”

They smiled at each other.

“We’re just coming!” called Romeo to Nicole.

“Maybe that’ll be later,” said Casey. “If you get lucky.”

“If I get lucky? If you do more like.” Romeo buttoned up his shirt, laughing despite pretending to be indignant. “Get over yourself, Braxton.”

All the residents of Summer Bay were in their finery. Nicole was wearing pale pink, a dress she had designed herself. She was elated to be nearly back to her pre-pregnancy shape, and stood proudly outside the church, with her ‘family’: Miles, Morag, Romeo, and by default, Casey.

Miles’s new haircut and beard went well with his black suit, and Morag had chosen a striking bronze dress, to match her usual air of invincibility.

The Walkers were already at the church of course. Sid was also in black, but it suited him to look saturnine. Marilyn was in pale turquoise, a frilly, fussy dress which contrasted strikingly with Sid’s classic look.

“Hey!” Indy hurried up to Romeo. She held out her hand and he shook it, not sure what to do. “Glad you could come.” She hesitated awkwardly.

“You know Casey, I believe?” he said, pulling him forward.

“Yes, and this is Eduardo.” He looked so exotic compared to the ordinary Aussie surfers. “He’s from Brazil.”

Encantado,” he bowed.

“It means ‘delighted to meet you’,” said Indy proudly. “I know a lot of Portuguese now.”

Casey and Romeo exchanged amused glances.

“Ah, Romeo,” said Sid. “I was hoping that you and Casey would be ushers. As well as Dex and Xavier. I know ushers are usually at weddings, but Marilyn seems to have invited everyone she’s ever met and we need help to organise them.”

“Of course, Dr Walker.”

“So if you two could wait by the door and then direct guests to their seats, that would be- Ah, Marilyn, don’t forget to-“ he hurried off distractedly.

“Seems easy enough,” said Casey.

They stood outside in the sun for a while, glad not to be in the dark church.

“Hey, both,” said a familiar voice. Dex sauntered up. “So you got roped in too.”

“We don’t mind,” said Romeo.

Dex nodded, in his usual philosophical way.

“I think Marilyn’s going to explode in a minute, she’s so overexcited. Dad’s following her round like a nanny.”

Romeo laughed.

“She seems to be that type of woman,” said Casey.

“Yes,” said Dex. “A sensitive, caring type. I’d better go and see if I can help. Glad to see you both at this momentous occasion.” He nodded formally and hurried off.

“He seems extremely concerned about her,” mused Casey.

Romeo explained about the Marilyn/ Dex/ Mitzi situation of a while ago.

“What? That’s very weird.”

“He’s over it now, but he has some strange ideas.”

“You’re telling me!”

“Hey.” Xavier approached. Gina and John were in the background, wrangling Brendan. “You both alright?”

They nodded.

“Dex and I thought if you direct people into the church, we’ll manage them from there.”

Casey suddenly pulled at Romeo’s arm. “Look.”

He and Xavier turned to see some River Boys hanging around in the distance.

“They’ve come for me.” Casey had gone white.

“Well, they aren’t getting into the church,” said Xavier, squaring his shoulders.

“Don’t worry, we’ll protect you.” Romeo glared towards them.

“You can go inside with Dex if you like, I’ll stay out here,” offered Xavier. “We’ll get you when they’ve gone.”

Casey hurried into the church.

“He’s terrified of them, isn’t he?”

“Yep. Bastards. They even threatened me.”

“Crikey.”

There was a pause.

“So, you’ve turned to the Dark Side then?” asked Xavier.

“What’s that supposed to mean?!”

“It’s from Star Wars. I’m just joking, sorry. I’m still your friend, whoever you sleep with.”

“Thanks.” He laughed. “But you don’t need to shake my hand, bro.”

“Oh! Sorry.”

The guests started arriving and the River Boys drifted off. Leah and Robert arrived, back from their honeymoon.

“Hi!” she kissed Romeo and Xavier affectionately. She was radiant in dark pink.

“You look so grown up and handsome, don’t they, Robert?”

“An excellent summary of my precise thoughts,” he smiled sarcastically. As usual, he wore a black suit and white shirt.

“He always looks like a sheriff from the Wild West,” observed Romeo, when the couple had gone into the church.

“Watch out. Ex girlfriend on the horizon,” muttered Xavier.

Ruby, Charlie and VJ were following the Robertsons. Charlie was wagging her finger at Ruby, who was looking resigned.

“Hello Xave, how nice to see you,” Ruby kissed him warmly. She gave Romeo a contemptuous look, then swished by in her burgundy dress.

“Sorry about that.” Charlie kissed them both. “She’s still pretty hurt.”

“Don’t worry about it,” said Xavier when they had gone.

“I’m not! I’ve apologised, I can’t turn the clock back, can I?”

There was a continuous flow of guests, until Romeo and Xavier were quite dizzy with greetings and compliments.

“Well, that’s that then. Now, the ceremony.” Xavier took another look round for the River Boys, but they were nowhere to be seen.

In the church, Nicole and Casey were sitting together.

“I don’t know if I can cope with this,” she muttered to him.

“Well… if Romeo can’t get here, you can hold my hand instead if you like.”

She smiled gratefully and did so.

“You’re really good for him,” she whispered. “He’s so much happier now.”

“Thanks. He deserves to be.”

The ceremony started and she did feel wobbly, so she clutched his hand tighter, making him wince but he didn’t say anything.

The church was decorated in pink and white. Flowers at the ends of each pew, ribbons tying them. There were more flowers than anyone had ever seen, it was as if a florist’s shop had exploded in the building.

Marilyn had arranged the longest, most elaborate christening she could. Firstly, Elijah read the parable of the Good Shepherd, then the Lord’s Prayer. After that the parable of the Vine, then a hymn and more prayers.

Casey became bored, but Nicole was fascinated.

“Heather Colleen Walker, I baptise thee in the Name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. Amen,” said Elijah at last, sprinkling water on the baby’s head and making the sign of the cross.

Romeo slid into the pew next to Nicole. “Sorry, got caught up.” He took her hand.

Obviously Sid and Marilyn were there, but also Leah, Colleen and Miles.

“Ladies and gentlemen, Mr Stewart is the other godfather, but of course he isn’t here at present,” explained Marilyn.

Romeo smiled, partly to see Morag tutting and fidgeting in her seat and partly at the thought of Alf as a mafia godfather.

There were more prayers and instruction to the parents from Elijah.

“Romeo!” hissed Casey, flicking his arm. He turned to see Nicole in tears and Casey making a ‘what do I do?’ face.

Chapter Nine

“Oh, Nic.” Romeo put his arm round her.

“I’m alright, its just-“

“I know. It’s just the occasion making you all emotional.”

“I guess so. It’s making me think what a loser I am.”

“You’re not a loser. Penn was the loser, you were just his victim.”

She gave a faint laugh.

“You’ll feel better after it’s finished, everyone’ll relax at Angelo’s.”

“I hope so, but Marilyn wants us to be sensible and quiet, so…”

“I can’t see that happening!”

“Thanks.” She squeezed his arm and smiled at Casey.

“Life’ll get better, you’ll see,” said Romeo. “You never know what’s round the next corner, do you?” he winked at Casey.

At last the christening was over and there was a mad rush for Angelo’s with food and drink.

“I thought Marilyn was going to hold us hostage in that church,” muttered Morag to Romeo on the way.

“Ahh, at least she’s happy.” He was more worried about the silent Nicole.

Angelo had set up a huge banquet in his restaurant. The room was decked out in pink and white of course: ribbons, streamers, roses, napkins, even the food was pink and white. Smoked ham and salmon on white bread, rice salad with bacon, raspberry ripple ice cream. And of course a white and pink christening cake. Angelo and Marilyn had racked their brains to think of suitably coloured foods.

A banner saying ‘Welcome Heather!’ hung from the ceiling.

“We wanted a classier place for our baby’s first party,” said Marilyn as she brought Heather round to see everyone. The Summer Bay House party and the Walkers were sitting together.

“Classier than what?” asked Romeo.

“The Diner,” she hissed, checking Colleen and Leah weren’t in earshot. “We thought our first baby deserved-“

Nicole walked away.

“Oh. Oh dear, is she alright?” fluttered Marilyn. “Should I go and-“

“I’ll go,” offered Indy, setting off with her own and Nicole’s drinks.

“How are you?” asked Romeo of Casey.

“Better now we’re out of the church. Seeing the River Boys was like- like-“

“I know.” Romeo squeezed his hand. “But Angelo won’t let them in here after that singles night.”

“Nic?” asked Indy, seeing her friend slumped in a chair outside. “Are you okay?”

“I guess seeing Heather christened has brought it all home to me.” The light shining from Angelo’s highlighted Nicole’s tear stained face.

“Oh, yes, it must have.” Indy sat down next to her. “It’s such a difficult situation.”

“If it was the perfect world, I’d have married Aden and we’d have had a baby together. But you can’t have everything. I had to choose between

a baby and my career. I’m too young to give up everything for a baby.”

“I know, I know.” Indy patted her arm. “I’d have done the same as you, for sure.”

“It’s just- at least Heather will have a great life, you know? Despite her crazy father and stupid mother.”

“You aren’t stupid. Mistakes happen. Everyone knows that.”

“I just wish it could’ve been Aden’s baby. At least he would have been a good father, even if he didn’t love me.”

“I’m sure he did love you, it was just too soon after Belle. Anyway, he was a distraction from your fashion career, wasn’t he?”

“That’s true. Oh, is that drink mine? I’m so thirsty.”

“Yes. Hey, what do you think of Summer Bay’s newest hot couple?”

“Who?”

“You know, Casey and Romeo.”

“God, yeah! I was surprised by that!”

“Imagine how I felt! And Ruby.”

“Yes, I had Rubes moaning about them earlier. She is shocked, she thinks its gross, but I reckon its cos neither of them like her best,” Nicole giggled. “It’s a bit of an insult really isn’t it? Your two ex-boyfriends liking each other more than you. In my case it would be Geoff and Aden.”

Indy giggled. “I can’t imagine Geoff and Aden getting it on! But Romeo looks… content… these days, doesn’t he?”

“Yes. I’ve never seen him smile so much. He used to be quite serious, didn’t he?”

“Yes. Obviously Casey’s got something I haven’t.”

Nicole giggled, her drink going to her head after so many months without alcohol. “Well, obviously Casey’s got something that no girl has.”

Indy pretended to be shocked, but couldn’t keep a straight face and burst into giggles.

They wandered back into Angelo’s to find that despite Marilyn’s insistence on a sober occasion, dancing was taking place. Liam was playing guitar on stage, not his own songs but popular stuff to get people up on their feet.

Leah whirled around with her new husband Robert, giggling, while Elijah and Grace seemed to be doing the twist. Bianca, April, Xavier and Dex were dancing too and being silly, as were many other guests. Dex twirled April round so much she became dizzy, while Xavier watched, frowning.

Casey and Romeo sat together, watching them.

“This is boring,” said Casey in Romeo’s ear. “Shall we go home now and…?”

“Yep.”

“I’ll go first, you come out later.”

“Hm, I think I’ve done that already.”

“Yes, very funny. I’ll meet you outside the juice bar.”

After a few minutes, Casey nonchalantly strolled out of Angelo’s, avoiding anyone who seemed about to speak to him.

Romeo waited, outwardly cool but inside feeling like a time bomb reaching the end of its fuse. He was fed up with the party and just wanted to get home.

He could see Marilyn approaching, and stood up to take avoiding action. Luckily, another guest waylaid her, so he took his chance and dived out of the restaurant, breathing a sigh of relief.

As he reached the top of the stairs, he heard a familiar voice coming from the juice bar and peered out of the door to see… his sister! Mink was the last person he wanted to see at this particular moment.

He backed away from the stairs and his fingers touched the handle of a store cupboard door, which was open. Slipping inside, he pressed the light switch but nothing happened. So instead of heading back home with Casey as he’d planned, he was now alone in a dark cupboard. Great.

Getting his phone out to text him, it lit the room with its faint glow.

Im in cupboard by Angelos kitchen, come + get me + Ill explain.

He waited nervously, heart pounding. What if Casey had run into the River Boys? What if they were bashing him at this moment? What if they’d kidnapped him and left him in the bush like they did Dex? He was torn between rushing out to look for him and bumping into his sister, or staying in the cupboard waiting.

Then Mink spoke outside:

“I’m looking for Todd- I mean Romeo- Smith. Some guy told me he was here.”

“There’s a party in the restaurant, perhaps he’s in there.”

“Mink?” said Xavier’s voice. “What are you doing here?”

“Looking for Romeo of course. Where is he?”

“Dunno. Ah, Casey, d’you know where Romeo is?”

In the cupboard, Romeo breathed a quiet sigh of relief.

“Last time I saw him, he was in the restaurant,” said Casey’s voice innocently. “Have a look in there.”

“Yeah, Mink, come and have a drink. Oh, that rhymes!” Xavier laughed drunkenly.

“I need to find Romeo though,” said Mink’s voice, more loudly.

The cupboard door opened and he stepped back, pressing himself against the shelves of spare tablecloths, serviettes, salt and pepper containers.

Light from the corridor revealed it was Casey. “So. What are you doing in here?”

“Oh, I’m so pleased to see you!” Romeo flung his arms round him.

He laughed. “Are you? Or is that a tinnie in your pocket?”

“Wouldn’t you like to know. But I was worried, I thought the River Boys had got you.”

“Nah. So why’ve you lured me in here?”

Romeo explained the situation about Mink.

“Is she still outside?”

“Not sure. Why don’t you want to speak to her?”

“I don’t mind speaking to her, just not right this minute. Anyway, I don’t want to talk about her now.” He hugged him tighter.

Casey was usually nervous of dark enclosed places like storerooms, but because Romeo was here he knew nothing terrible would happen. Hopefully, quite the opposite.

Xavier escorted Mink into the party, feeling pleased with himself. Gina didn’t look happy to see her, and April downright annoyed, so he walked slowly past both of them with Mink holding his arm, and got her a drink.

“Romeo will turn up in a minute, don’t worry,” he said.

“Well it’s good to see you, anyway.” She kissed him lingeringly on the lips, making him drop his glass. “How’s things going?”

“Er- things- yes, they’re fine,” he stuttered. He was aware of the other guests watching the whole thing, especially April, her dark eyes almost black with anger. Or was it jealousy?

Okay, this chapter is dedicated to Zetti and Jen, who have given me so much advice.

Warning: Sexual content in this chapter

Chapter Ten

“Who’s this charming young lady?” asked Dex. Mink eyed him as if he was an alien.

“Would you like to dance?”

Mink didn’t bother to answer him, just looked away disdainfully.

“Not the most polite person,” said Dex, returning to the dancing.

He bowed to Nicole.

“Allow me, madam.” He waltzed her briskly round the dance floor, completely out of time with the music, making her giggle uncontrollably.

“I won’t be left out,” said Bianca, pretending to be cross. She beckoned Xavier, who bowed lower than Dex, and tried to look like he knew what he was doing.

Mink waited at the side, coolly sipping her drink and sneering.

“Not like that,” ordered Bianca, arranging Xavier’s arms and grinning at Liam. “My hand rests on yours, like this, and you put your hand in the small of my back.” Liam dug amongst his CDs and to his surprise found a classical music one, so put it on.

They set off, joined by Leah and Robert, Elijah and his wife, Grace, Indy and Eduardo, even Morag and Miles, all waltzing inexpertly.

With one arm round Romeo, Casey held up his phone to shine light round the cupboard. It didn’t look frightening, just functional, and wasn’t a basement or roof space. It was just a storeroom. Although as he hadn’t been alone with Romeo for hours now, it was the ideal place to seduce him, if they couldn’t go home.

“This is alright. Can we lock the door?”

“I don’t think you can generally lock store cupboards from the inside. Why?” Romeo pretended to be innocent.

Casey chuckled wickedly and kissed him, pushing him back against the shelves, which wobbled ominously, sending a shower of tiny sugar packets onto their heads.

Romeo put his arms round his neck, pressing their bodies together, feeling the heat between them. Casey undid his shirt roughly and kissed his chest, making him shudder with desire. Every muscle was perfectly honed, he could kiss him all over for hours if he had the time. Running his hands over Romeo’s back, he felt similar sculpted muscle and his hands trembled touching him. He kissed upwards to his neck and lips, feeling an even greater rush of lust, and Romeo kissed him back just as passionately.

It was a little strange being in complete darkness, but lack of sight meant all other senses were heightened and the familiar smell and taste of each other was reassuring and arousing at the same time. It was like a dream. Romeo’s fingers tangled in Casey’s hair and he felt like he was losing himself. They were both oblivious to everything else, hidden in the dark, warm refuge of the storeroom.

Someone tried the door handle and it opened.

“It’s just a bloody cupboard, mate!” Laughing, the intruder shut it again.

“Oh, **** off…!” Casey hissed in the direction of the door. “I’m gonna die of frustration in a minute.”

“Me too.”

“I need to tell Romeo about mum,” said Mink’s voice outside the cupboard. “What she said to me was so horrible!”

Romeo and Casey slumped against each other, amused and exasperated at the same time.

“I think someone’s trying to tell us something,” said Romeo.

“Hm, seems that way. Don’t go out to her though.”

“I won’t. What she’s moaning about doesn’t sound exactly serious.”

“Let’s just stay in here til she’s gone, then go home.”

“Where the hell is he then?” Mink continued. “Has someone locked him in a cupboard or something?”

Romeo could feel a laugh growing, as well as everything else.

“She’s right. We’re in the closet,” he whispered in Casey’s ear, as quietly as he could.

“What? All I heard was ffffffff.”

“I said: we’re in the closet.” The laugh was now starting to hurt as he tried to suppress it.

Casey started laughing as well, into Romeo’s neck. His eyelashes were tickling him and sending shivers down his spine. He was torn between being turned on and laughing.

They sat down against the shelves. The floor was hard but surprisingly warm as the cupboard was near the kitchen.

“At least we don’t fight anymore,” Casey whispered.

“Fight?”

“When you used to bash me at school. I thought you hated me.”

“Haha, I didn’t know if I wanted to bash you or pash you, so I did both.”

“I definitely like the pashing better.” He kissed him again, and they curled up together in a tangle of long limbs. “Looks like we’re gonna be stuck in the closet for a while. What shall we do to pass the time?”

Back at the party, Colleen looked like she had been sucking a lemon. She was sitting with Irene watching the dancers.

“I had such high hopes for Leah and Reverend Johnson,” she said loudly.

“Gawd sakes Colleen, sh!” hissed Irene.

“Then she had to marry that detective fellow. I was most disappointed.”

“She can’t help who she falls in love with.”

“I always thought she was in love with the Reverend, but who am I to know? I just keep myself to myself, I’m not one to interfere where I’m not wanted.”

Irene rolled her eyes.

“It’s a lovely, you’ve done really well,” said Charlie to Angelo as he bustled around the table.

“Uh huh.”

A petite dark haired woman came up and whispered in his ear. He raised his eyebrows at her and smiled as she walked away again.

“Who’s that?”

“My girlfriend, Maria.”

“Girlfriend?”

“You didn’t expect me to stay single did you?” He was so busy he didn’t have time to be tactful.

“No, but- oh never mind.” Sadly, she watched him working.

The fake waltzing ended, and the men bowed and the women curtsied, all wobbling. Liam suddenly switched to a rock and roll tune, making everyone fall into chaos, giggling and trying to keep up.

Romeo felt relaxed sitting against the shelves, despite his heart beating somewhat faster than usual. Even though the storeroom floor was uncomfortable and not so clean, and because he’d just bitten his lip til it bled and dug his fingernails into his palms, he felt better in here with Casey than at the party.

He reached his hand down to stroke Casey’s hair.

“You’re awesome, you know that?”

“Thank you.” He sat up, and settled back into Romeo’s arms again.

“I can’t even think straight now.”

Casey gave a half laugh, half cough and wiped his mouth on Romeo’s bare shoulder.

“Good. Just chill.”

They cuddled up even closer.

Suddenly the door burst open and Casey nearly jumped out of his skin. So many doors had burst open during his life that it brought back unsettling memories.

Angelo bustled in and clicked the light switch, swearing when it didn’t work.

“Bloody Colleen,” he muttered. “I’ll just pour the red wine to save you the trouble, Angelo. Oh look, it’s gone over the white table cloth.”

Casey and Romeo huddled together into the corner, hoping he wouldn’t realise they were there.

Obviously Angelo knew the lay-out of his own store cupboard though, so quickly pulled a table cloth from the shelf and hastened out, jangling his

keys crossly.

“It was lucky he didn’t-” began Romeo, but Casey had untangled himself from him and gone to the door.

“He’s locked it.” He rattled the door handle. “We’re locked in.”

“I thought that’s what you wanted.”

“Well, I don’t!” There was an edge of panic in his voice.

“Sh! Someone’ll hear you. Come back over here.”

“Not til I can open this.” He rattled the door again. “Perhaps I can pick the lock.” He shone his phone around, looking for potential tools.

Romeo did up his pants and went over to him. “What’s the matter? You’re shaking.”

“I just hate being locked in.”

“Everyone does. Why is it worse for you?”

He paused.

“It- it was- it was Heath. He was always locking me in places. He and his friends, they thought it was so funny. Then they’d make weird noises

outside and bang on the door and laugh and I was on my own in the basement and-“ he took a deep breath.

“How old were you?”

“I dunno. Its happened ever since I can remember, so it must have been since I was a little kid. I should be braver, I shouldn’t let it get to me-“

“It’s normal for a kid to be scared if he’s locked in a dark basement. Didn’t Brax help you?”

“He didn’t know. Heath threatened to kill me if I told him or anyone.”

Romeo paused, anger growing.

“Well you’re safe in here, nothing’s going to happen to you.” He pulled Casey against him, thinking if he saw Heath again, he’d- he’d- Well he didn’t know what he’d do, but it would involve violence.

“I think I can pick the lock anyway. It’s amazing what you can do with cutlery and toothpicks.” His laugh was as shaky as the rest of him.

Romeo stood holding him, stroking his hair and back to calm him, which seemed to be working as his breathing gradually slowed.

He didn’t want to tell Romeo, but other unpleasant memories were stirring in the stifling darkness. He’d had a couple of boyfriends before Romeo. Well, not proper ones, just casual encounters. Just using and being used because he was so lonely and frustrated, and thinking he was weird and freaky among the macho River Boys. They knew he wasn’t like them, but sometimes he’d been surprised at their reactions to him. That time with Brodie… why had he ever thought Brodie liked him? He suddenly felt sick and shuddered.

“It’s alright.” Romeo soothed him more. He’d always assumed there was bad stuff in Casey’s past, but he wouldn’t ever ask him about it. He’d just wait til he was ready to tell him. If he ever was.

Casey relaxed against him again, feeling safer. He shouldn’t dwell on the past as his life was so much better now. Just a few weeks ago he’d been scared all the time, unhappy, lonely, lusting after Romeo thinking it was just another of his hopeless crushes. Now here he was with this same guy, who was beyond hot, living with him, relaxed and cared for. He was so lucky, curled up here with the man he-

“Romeo.”

“Mm?”

“I- I think I love you.”

Romeo gasped. He thought about this for a few moments.

“I think I love you too!” His voice went high and squeaky with emotion, so he coughed and said in a deeper, more macho voice: “I mean, I love you too.”

Casey laughed, partly with relief and partly at Romeo’s vocal problems, and hugged him tighter.

“Shall we go home now?” He chose some improvised tools from Angelo’s supplies, and carefully, with Romeo holding the phone light over him, picked the lock.

“That’s a skill,” said Romeo, again unsure whether to be concerned or admiring.

“Amazing what I’ve learnt from my brothers.”

They put their shirts and shoes back on, smoothed down each other’s hair and peered out of the cupboard. The corridor was deserted, so they sneaked out. At the top of the stairs, they heard loud voices in the juice bar and looked down the stairs.

The River Boys, led by Brax and Heath, were pouring into the bar, shouting and laughing, pushing chairs over.

“Oh crap,” said Casey, clutching Romeo’s arm.

Archived