Charlie/Darryl 'Brax'

I dunno maybe it's just my own personal dealings with people who have done the same things as Brax that have me feeling unsympathetic to his situation. Maybe I'm just tired of Cameron Welsh picking an choosing what parts of "reality" he's choosing to mirror within Home and Away.

I have a cousin, who like Brax, found himself engaging in criminal activities to provide for his daughter. The thing that really annoyed me about it was, he's a clever guy, who was always really likeable and easy going. But when things got tough and jobs were scarce for people who didn't finish their secondary/high schooling, he took the easy way out. He saw that there was a lot of money to be made in dealing drugs. So like Brax, he pushed the boundaries of the law to reap the rewards of selling drugs at the expense of other people's health, happiness and stability.

It put a huge strain on his family. Some of the people he used to deal to, I knew them, and I saw how it affected them. Ultimately he did get caught and he was jailed.He's just been released, but I have never been able to look him in the eye since knowing what he did and the seriousness of it.

The fact is, dealing drugs is a serious, serious crime. Feeding peoples addictions not only could it potentially kill them, but it tears families and friendships apart and the fact that Home and Away are not taking this subject seriously, and are making it out to be something that should be easily forgettable at the expense of "sexing up" the show is quite literally a joke.

I don't mean to be putting a downer on things and I know people are going to come back and argue to death that Home and Away is just a soap and that it's purely entertainment. But this is something that effects millions of people and I just feel that Home and Away has a duty of care to say that no this is not okay.

They've done it with the rape storylines, they've done it with joyriding storylines, they've done it with teacher/studnet relationship storylines. Why is this so different? Why are they sweeping this under the rug. Shouldn't there be some form of justice for this too? Why is it the writers always nit pick who gets killed or who gets punished based on popularity or looks?

Is Home and Away really that shallow?

Take a couple like Leah and Miles.... They have done nothing wrong and they have to suffer the loss of a child. If they were as popular as Charlie or Brax, would thay have suffered the same fate?

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they let every couple have happy times and darker times. No couple on Home and Away lives happily ever after with no problems. Also, in soaps miscarriage is a common theme, lots of characters have storylines involving losing babies, kids. It is not easy to find little children (2/3/4 year-olds) to play on these shows (so I have heard), so they can't really bring new kids into the show with the intension to keep them. So they let women get pregnant, have a 'who is the daddy' storyline and then losing the baby. I think that is a lack of originality of the writers. It just has been done in every show too many times (or maybe I only watch the shows where they have storylines like that).

My wish is that they make Miles and Leah a permanent (or at least as permanent as possible) couple. So they won't get too many happy times, but no darker times as well then. We will see them together, but only briefly as the focus will lay on Leah or Miles' interaction with other people, not so much on their relationship as such. Because if a couple is too happy, it always gets messed up. No couple can be happy for too long on the show!

But on topic again: You either love Charlie and Brax or you hate them, there is no in between. That is what the writers want, they want us to feel strongly about them one way or another. So far, it is working brilliantly. I want them together again very badly, I won't deny that. :)

The fact is, dealing drugs is a serious, serious crime. Feeding peoples addictions not only could it potentially kill them, but it tears families and friendships apart and the fact that Home and Away are not taking this subject seriously, and are making it out to be something that should be easily forgettable at the expense of "sexing up" the show is quite literally a joke.

I don't mean to be putting a downer on things and I know people are going to come back and argue to death that Home and Away is just a soap and that it's purely entertainment. But this is something that effects millions of people and I just feel that Home and Away has a duty of care to say that no this is not okay.

They've done it with the rape storylines, they've done it with joyriding storylines, they've done it with teacher/studnet relationship storylines. Why is this so different? Why are they sweeping this under the rug. Shouldn't there be some form of justice for this too? Why is it the writers always nit pick who gets killed or who gets punished based on popularity or looks?

Is Home and Away really that shallow?

Take a couple like Leah and Miles.... They have done nothing wrong and they have to suffer the loss of a child. If they were as popular as Charlie or Brax, would thay have suffered the same fate?

You know we see things differently about the couple but I always agree with your arguments. They are completely correct and moral. Forget that I have a completely different idea of the way the s/l goes down - it doesn't matter as it hasn't played out that way so far. But I definitely think that most stories have the correct message in the end. ie you commit a serious crime and you will get punished for it. I think HAA has too many young fans and families watching together to have it go in any other way.

As for Leah and Miles - I was totally annoyed about that s/l for a good while. I seriously felt like I was slapped - the way I acted to it. I have seen it so many times in the hospital and as someone who loves working with children and the bonds I see instantaneously form when a baby is born (most of the time) - it is just magic to me - so beautiful. But it hit me that they chose to do this with Leah because certain women are more prone to miscarriages than others and unfortunately go through it so many more times than what you could call a one-time tragedy. I have heard of women getting pregnant after having several miscarriages and they don't give up and eventually have a child and sometimes more. I hope that is what they are doing with Leah. Leah's baby storyline can't end here unless she is told she is 100% unable to have kids - it would be the wrong message to send out to women in the same position who let the fear and grief take over the hope of it one day working out.

Sorry we got a little off-topic with Leah/Miles. haha I do it all the time on the Darryl Braxton thread :rolleyes:

--hope no one minds! Chax babies one day please @writers lol

Hey, does anyone know in which episode Morag's watcing Chax at Angelo's and then speaking to Brax? I think after/before talking to Brax she speaks to Charlie and Charlie then admits that she loves Brax.

Morag watching Chax at Charlie's birthday party was Episode 5312.

Morag speaking to Brax was Episode 5338.

Charlie admitting to Morag that she loves Brax was Episode 5350.

Hey, does anyone know in which episode Morag's watcing Chax at Angelo's and then speaking to Brax? I think after/before talking to Brax she speaks to Charlie and Charlie then admits that she loves Brax.

Morag watching Chax at Charlie's birthday party was Episode 5312.

Morag speaking to Brax was Episode 5338.

Charlie admitting to Morag that she loves Brax was Episode 5350.

Thanks so much!!!!

So sorry to bother you again but in which ep is the clip where Charlie and Brax sit on the couch in Charlie's house and Brax says: You gotta trust me. Charlie: Why should I? B: For the same reason I gotta trust you; because we don't have a choice. Please somone could tell me the episode? I love that scene so much!

So sorry to bother you again but in which ep is the clip where Charlie and Brax sit on the couch in Charlie's house and Brax says: You gotta trust me. Charlie: Why should I? B: For the same reason I gotta trust you; because we don't have a choice. Please somone could tell me the episode? I love that scene so much!

It's 5302. :)

It's 5302. :)

Thanks so much!!!! I really appreciate it!

• 2 months later...

Just thinking back over Charlie and Brax as a couple, I remember thinking once, way back at the beginning of their relationship, that similar they were to Adelle, as in the amount of people that loved that and just the hype around them alone. But in hindsight, I think that Charlie and Brax were actually much more forced by the writers and producers than Adelle was, especially the idea of them being one of the shows most "epic" couples. The popularity of Adelle and their epic-ness came naturally just through the beauty of their relationship. 

I don't think anyone thought at first that Adelle would become as big as they did. On the other hand however, I think the writers/producers forced Charlie and Brax to be amazing and epic too. In the last week or so, videos has been posted on the OS going over Charlie and Brax's best moments with tag words such as epic or best couple of the year. That is the shows say rather than the fans. I'm not denying that Charlie and Brax were a great couple, I just think that, in the last year, the producers/writers tried to create another Adelle in the form of Charlie and Brax but that, with the latter, it was much more forced. To me, they failed.

The idea Charlie and Brax being moulded into a "never will we forget" couple has just made me realise how completely different they were to Adelle, and that there should really be no comparison. Never.

Charlie and Brax were definately a memorable couple but for me, they don't really stand out for me as an epic home and away supercouple. Their relationship just became too forced, in my opinion.

If Charlie does

die

in the new season, her relationship with Brax will be remembered for that reason alone; that their love was cut short before it really had a chance to begin. But for me, that will be it. 

To me, they are not another home and away supercouple like Adelle or Jack and Martha, they are just a hot, exciting couple whose end unfortunately came too soon.

Edited by LauraPhilly!!