Charlie/Darryl 'Brax'

After watching today's episode, I have to say, I think Brax is expecting and asking too much of Charlie! Is he that selfish that he would ask her to give up her job so they could be together? Charlie wouldn't give up her whole career for a man who just can't seem to stay out of trouble!

I love Charlie and Brax, and I love how they are drawn to each other even though they can't really work as a couple! That is ultimately what I love about them but the path the scriptwriters are taking with them at the moment is not good and I don't like it!

Charlie shouldn't have to sacrifice her career for their relationship to work! Brax is the one that should be giving things up! He clearly wants to be with Charlie so why isn't he doing more to make their relationship work <_<

Edited by LauraPhilly!!

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After watching today's episode, I have to say, I think Brax is expecting and asking too much of Charlie! Is he that selfish that he would ask her to give up her job so they could be together? Charlie wouldn't give up her whole career for a man who just can't seem to stay out of trouble!

I love Charlie and Brax, and I love how they are drawn to each other even though they can't really work as a couple! That is ultimately what I love about them but the path the scriptwriters are taking with them at the moment is not good and I don't like it!

Charlie shouldn't have to sacrifice her career for their relationship to work! Brax is the one that should be giving things up! He clearly wants to be with Charlie so why isn't he doing more to make their relationship work <_<

I agree with you LauraPhilly!!

Charlie seems to be the one who makes all the sacrifices and it's not fair on her. It's about high time Brax was the one who made some tough decisions. His decision to walk away from the Riverboys has ultimately been scratched out by the fact that so far he has done nothing to distance himself the gang in the last month or two since his declaration to Heath that he was "out".

The thing is, Charlie could lose her career and her financial stability by admitting to her superiors about her affair with Brax. Even face jail time. What exactly does Brax lose? The respect of his gang and been thrown out of their criminal society? I'd consider that a positive if he's serious about wanting to be on the straight and narrow. At least he wouldn't be in the middle of it all like he usually is.

He's being very selfish in the choices he's tyring to force Charlie to make. Asking her to quit her job s they don't have to worry about what her collegues think is ridiculous. She has a family to support, how is she supposed to that without a job? A job that she has said on more than one occassion that she loves and is a big part of who she is. Surely if he loved her he wouldn't ask her to do such a thing?

However, I don't think Charlie has thought this through completely. If there is a possibility of her doing a stint in jail over her relationship with "a known criminla or person of olice interest" as they like to put it, surely should would have thought about the consequences that would have for Ruby? What would happen to her? As if the poor girl hasn't been put through enough because of this already.

I like the point you made about Charlie and Brax being drawn together. You're right. Clearly they have a connection to each other. The problem is they can't work as a couple because their differing opinions and lifestyles keep conflicting with each other and driving a wedge between them and it will probably continue on this path as long as Charlie is a cop and Brax is embedded within the Riverboy system.

Brax's problem is, he's too used to being in control. He's used to dictating to people what they should do, how they should do it because of the fact he was/is the leader of a gang and he's used to them answering to him. Suddeny he has found himself at odds with the woman he apparently loves because she isn't seeing things from his point of view and he's frustrated by that. He thinks it should be easy for Charlie to just give up her job and be with him.

But that's not how Charlie works. She loves her career and she's very career driven and passionate about her job. She's also from the new age of independant women who believe in having a career and earning and paying their own way. She would never be happy to just throw in her job for a relationship. That's probably another bone of contention between them.

I get the feeling that while Charlie is very much the 21st century woman, with the career, the famliy, friends and social life, Brax to me seems like a very 20th century man. The kind of man who likes to go out earn his money and work while the wife stays at home and looks after the kids. And the problem is, that's not Charlie and Brax needs to accept that she loves he job and that she's not the type of woman who will happily stay home.

Charlie and Brax may be some fans idea of the perfect couple, but the reality is, they have pushed a lot of issues to the side time and again only for them to come back and bite them on the backside. They need to start working through these issues instead of trying to overlook them because everytime they do, the get back together only to be torn apart again.

Starting with Brax and his dodgy, underhanded tactics. This can't conitnue if he expects to have an open public relationship with the police Sergeant of a small at times, conservative town. Which obviously backfire on him in the coming weeks. I just hope Charlie doesn't end up regretting all these sacrifices she's been making over the last few months.

Loved the Hot Seat interview

one of my favourite bits:

Question: What do consider to be your greatest accomplishment?

Esther: I think surviving the last twelve months working, co-staring with Steve Peacocke has been a pretty big accomplishment (laughs and keeps laughing)

Steve (looking taken aback): Not very nice, edit that bit out - Awkward - it makes it sound like she doesn't like me (before he breaks out a big smile)

The way they are talking about spending so much time in makeup together in the morning sounds like they are still filming lots together - so it seems there is hope for a future for Brax and Charlie

• 4 weeks later...

Watching the latest Charlie/Brax promo on the OS, I just realised that I am so not into this couple as much as I used to be! I think the scriptwriters have ruined the most beautiful thing about their relationship; their chemistry and feelings for each other, by dragging on and on the negatives aspects of Brax's life, and Charlie being conflicted with him and her job.

I would like to see this couple get back together in the future, but for now, there is just a bad taste in my mouth when I think about their relationship. What turned out to be fun, lighthearted, and a sunny horizon has just turned into this horrible, serious, dark and twisted relationship.

I thought this couple had real potential but, as usual, the scriptwriters have to ruin it! <_<

Watching the latest Charlie/Brax promo on the OS, I just realised that I am so not into this couple as much as I used to be! I think the scriptwriters have ruined the most beautiful thing about their relationship; their chemistry and feelings for each other, by dragging on and on the negatives aspects of Brax's life, and Charlie being conflicted with him and her job.

I would like to see this couple get back together in the future, but for now, there is just a bad taste in my mouth when I think about their relationship. What turned out to be fun, lighthearted, and a sunny horizon has just turned into this horrible, serious, dark and twisted relationship.

I thought this couple had real potential but, as usual, the scriptwriters have to ruin it! <_<

I totally understand what you mean. We have had way too many 'dark scenes' between them. I think of them as a very extreme couple: very high highs and very low lows. In the beginning they were fun, happy, sexy... but we all knew the writers wouldn't let them stay that way. We didn't see any other couple (Leah and Miles, Roo and Sid...) have so many fun and light scenes, so I guess we shouldn't be surprised that we are now getting a lot of dark and depressing scenes. I am starting to get fed up with all this drama, I am still enjoying them though. When this whole mess is over, we will get to see them again like they were in the beginning of their relationship... At least for a while. I really believe that. I think once they get back to just being happy together, we will love them as much as in the beginning. I think it is important that we can see them getting closer again, they shouldn't just get back together overnight. I think after this mess with Casey is sorted (and he probably goes to jail/juve), the show will focus on the Charlie and Brax relationship again. That hasn't been the case the last couple of weeks, the focus has been on all the drama and negative things Brax (and his family) has (have) done. Those things do leave a bad taste into our mouths, but I hope they can make us 'forget' about those things... or at least separate these things from the Charlie and Brax relationship. I don't want to see all these negative things hanging like a sword of Damocles over them. You might not be able to change your mind when they do get back together, it is possible you still won't like them... but I kind of hope you do though! You liked them in the past, so I hope they get the right storylines so you will be able to like them again! :)

The thing is, while it would be easy for the writers to somehow come to a happier conclusion, where Brax and Heath stopping doing dodgy things and Brax and Charlie get back together and live happily ever after, at the same time, it would ruin their characterisation of the writers did do this.

Brax has a LOT of flaws. He's manipulative, he's a compulsive liar, he can at times, be a bully, he's dodgy and he blurs the lines between right and wrong for his or his families own benefit, even if it is at the expensive of other peoples feelings or whatever.

But the thing is, all these negative things are a part of who Brax is. It's what makes his character. So to just erase them in the hopes that he will be seen as a good guy who viewers will like, not only would it not make any sense, but it would be a complete cop out and would actually erase part of the essence of who he is.

The thing about Brax is, you're never really sure who he is. Is he a good guy who does bad things, or is he someone who threads the waters between right and wrong depending on what he thinks he needs to do at a particular moment and time.

Even if Brax somehow manages to redeem himself for everything he's done since arriving in the Bay, all these elements of him will remain. He be out of the game, but that won't change the person he is, and I don't think I want him to. Because even though I don't like that side of Brax, if you strip that away, you're essentially stripping away a major part of who he is. He would in affect, become redundant.

At the moment his only saving grace is his relationship with Charlie. In my opinion, she is pretty much the only good thing about him. If we take this away, what other purpose does he serve other than to push the boundaries of the law?

I think the writers need to do a lot more character building here. Brax is a good complex character, but I'm kind of wondering what other purpose would he serve outside of the Riverboys and Charlie?

On another note, the whole relationship thing is a complete mess and I think Charlie is completely right to be pushing him away. He's lied to her far to many times, she even killed a man to save his life, and he didn't even have the descency to thank her. At the moment Brax is too self involved to be able to commit to a proper relationship.

I hope the writers take their time with this and don't have Charlie rushing back to be with him. Otherwise it's just a Charlie and Angelo repeat.

I think that Brax has a long of internal conflict, and some redeamable qualities. He wants to be a better person, but cant becuase of family and past. He will always want to protect the people he cares about and he has never loved someone like Charlie so he has no idea how to trust her.

His friendship with Elijah (and his donations to the shelter) adn everything he does to help his community and the kids that are going through what he did growing up is awesome.

He may be into some serious stuff (drugs etc) but there are many other positive things about him that make me like him.

As for Charlie... you love who you love and thats it! I like them together and want them together because I think they give eachother someothing they are missing.