Summer Bay High (by Skykat) - comments

bay girl

Barry cleared his throat. “It’s a very nice place, isn’t it?” he remarked to his dinning companion, as though they had booked in at some plush restaurant.

Irene shared an amused glance with Laura, the student busy dishing up their food, a small, plump girl with long blonde hair tied back in an emerald green scrunchie, who obviously had a thing for emerald green to judge by her large emerald green clip-on ear-rings and matching chunky emerald green bracelets, as well as a thing for the violinist serenading the diners, a sandy-haired youth who wore the name badge “Simon”, to judge by her frequent coy glances in his direction.

Amidst the general chatter and laughter in the canteen of Yabbie Creek Academy a very serious message was being conveyed. A blown-up photograph of a beautiful, large-eyed, skeletal young African child holding a wooden bowl to her mouth was the first sight that greeted guests as they were shown to their tables. The Academy students had arranged the Fun Romantic Disgusting School Dinner “to remind us” as their advertising literature said, “that, in the words of the poet Robbie Burns, “Some hae meat that canna eat and some wad eat that want it” in aid of the charity they had founded. HeartBeat aimed to set up schools in remote African villages, with the hope each school would eventually become the heart of the village, a base where education, food and medicine could all be provided. Heads of education establishments and their partners had been invited to the dinner by the charity organizers so that they could explain how their own students and they themselves could become involved.

Principal Barry Hyde was here by accident and, bashful at the best of times despite his ferocious persona, felt ill at ease as he straightened his tie for the third or fourth time...

I'm going on a short holiday early tomorrow morning, but thought you might like to know, despite the snail pace, :rolleyes: the next chapter is coming along quite well. :wink::D

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

**shrugs**again. :rolleyes: Never mind, I'm running out of ideas anyway. :( I know exactly how I want to end this fic, I've had a picture of it all in my mind for quite some time, I even have a rough idea of what the very last line will be. :) And I know there's going to be a major drama with Hayley and Gypsy, I've had that idea for about..um...a whole year now. :blush: Just not sure how to get there.... :unsure:

Come to think of it, maybe I should just draft out those two chapters and find out for myself how the characters got there...

That was great! I was looking for some inspiration and I was so glad you had updated!

I loved the bit where Kim and Barry were reminicising about Kerry. For some reason these bits just stood out for me

At last Barry looked up at him, eyes glistening. “I loved your mother.”

“I know,” Kim replied in the same hushed tone, and shuffled uneasily, embarrassed at seeing his father so close to tears.

Her body was buried alone on a silent hill, the grave dug by his own guilty, blood-stained hands.

The ending was quite dramatic! I was actually imagining Kim in his SES uniform trying to bring him back to life. (It is 4am and I am slightly hallucinating...)

I love how you worte about Barry's heart fainting and then reflected that in the surroundings with the moon slipping away and the haunting darkness... Great update!

• 3 weeks later...

WOW! that was so good, so intense and very different to the other fics that are out there

I'll have to catch up with the rest of it at the weekend, if the rest of it is like that chapter then i cant wait

Really looking forward to seeing what happens next!

WOW! that was so good, so intense and very different to the other fics that are out there

I'll have to catch up with the rest of it at the weekend, if the rest of it is like that chapter then i cant wait

Really looking forward to seeing what happens next!

Thanks! :blush: That's very flattering and also very reasurring :D as I didn't consider this one of my best chapters.

I don't know if anyone on here is still determinedly following :ph34r: who's been with this from the very beginning but I am beginning to get pictures in my head (after a bad case of writers' block) for the concluding chapters and an epilogue. I don't know how many more chapters that will mean, but I know it does mean I can eventually tie everything together. Which didn't seem very likely not too long ago! :P

Edited by I love music

That was a great chapter! i liked how you characterised Martha i could imagine she would be a handful against anyone! I was also sympathetic of Kane too

My favourite line:

Until the night of Hayley’s party, when some deep loneliness led him to where the trees’ hushed shadows trembled in the stilled waters of the moonlit fountain, to where the quiet night and silently-lit windows watched and waited to speak their secrets.

You are able to convey emotions really well with you writing. I can't wait to see what happens!

• 1 month later...