New ABC TV drama explores the dark side: Crownies

Guest Barbara

^ Todd had a short stint in 2005 when Ella and Indiana were also on the show.

The promo looks good. Thanks for the link! :)

No Ella Scott Lynch was not on the show at that time, she just played Haley for a very short time by the end of Haleys stint on the show - by the end of 2005 season, little while after Adens stint, I suppose. By the time Aden was on for his short guest visit in 2005, Haley was at the hospital - she was sick and almost lost her baby. At that time she was played by Rebecca Cartwright Hewitt (or what her name is...). Just recently watched a clip from that time.

I really liked the character of Haley until this "who is the father of her baby" storyline - it dragged out too long. And it was a little bit unessescary to put in an another actress to play Haley, especially since she was soon leaving together with Scott anyway. Her character had served her purpose and they could have written her out when Rebecca C. H. had too leave.

Ella Scott Lynch is probably a good actress, but she didn't get any credit because people was already tired of the baby/Kim/Scott storyline and it seemed unessescary to drag it out more. And Ella was also very different to Rebecca, something that made people angry towards the change in actress behind the character. And Ella got more negative response to her acting than she deserved. I think she did her best to portray Haley, and probably did a very good job, maybe a better job than the originally one, but all that I could think of, was the other Haley, and how tired I actually was of the storyline.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No Ella Scott Lynch was not on the show at that time, she just played Haley for a very short time by the end of Haleys stint on the show - by the end of 2005 season, little while after Adens stint, I suppose. By the time Aden was on for his short guest visit in 2005, Haley was at the hospital - she was sick and almost lost her baby. At that time she was played by Rebecca Cartwright Hewitt (or what her name is...). Just recently watched a clip from that time.

Ella replaced Bec as Hayley and her first episode was 4037. Todd's final episodes were 4044 and 4047. Hayley and Aden may not have had a scene together but the actors could have met behind the scenes. :)

Ella replaced Bec as Hayley and her first episode was 4037. Todd's final episodes were 4044 and 4047. Hayley and Aden may not have had a scene together but the actors could have met behind the scenes. :)

OK, then. You're right! :P I have checked, and Ella Scott Lynch was in the credits for episode 4046. :) The clips I watched earlier were from eps 4024-4035.

• 2 weeks later...

I know they are supposed to be fresh out of law school but Indiana Evans still looks like she is in high school. I wonder if they'll cast Charlotte Best as a judge?

Lol. The show looks good and I love Aussie actors in home grown shows. Todd's delay in getting to the States might be a real blessing in disguise. Or he's at least made the best of it. Was really happy to see him in Special Ops and soon this. But re Indiana's casting - it's going to be hard to let go of the fact she's so much younger than the character she's portraying. And what's with TV casting 20 yrlds as teens and grown women. It's like you're expected to look 20 for 15 years of your life!

But re Indiana's casting - it's going to be hard to let go of the fact she's so much younger than the character she's portraying.

Her character Tatum is 22. Indiana is almost 21 so she's not really that much younger then her character :)

-

Evans in first adult role in Crownies

Best known to Australian audiences as a teenager in Home and Away, Indiana Evans is putting the character of Matilda Hunter behind her with her very first adult role in the legal drama Crownies.

At 20, Evans is relishing her role as young solicitor Tatum Novak in the new Australian drama, set in the Department of Public Prosecutions.

"Since Home and Away I did a kids series and a few guest roles but this is the first more adult thing I've done which is really great," she says.

"It's nice to have some older dialogue. It's really refreshing."

She has also been reunited with her former Home and Away cast mate Todd Lasance who plays Ben McMahon in the series.

"He was the only one (in the cast) that I knew so that was great to have someone familiar when I first started," she says.

Evans says her character, at 22, is the newest and youngest member of the DPP and is often underestimated by her colleagues.

"She brings a bit of youth and Gen Y into the office," she says.

"She's unshakably confident and sure of herself and smart and funny and lots of people underestimate her and think she's a bit of a ditz but she's the kind of person who will surprise people."

The series also plays on the generational gap between Generation Y and their older colleagues.

"It makes for a lot of the comedy within the show," Evans says.

"I've got a lot of scenes with an older character and basically they just don't get on and they lock horns."

Unusually for a legal drama, Evans says Crownies really doesn't spend a lot of time in the courtroom, with the creators preferring to concentrate on other aspects of the lawyers' lives.

"It's more the preparation of it (court) and how hard these guys work."

Much of the humour on the show is dark, which Evans says they picked up after spending some time with members of the DPP.

"They were saying that their humour, to cope with the really full on cases that they get, is quite black so the show really shows that," she says.

"Sometimes you see it and it can seem a bit cruel but I suppose it makes sense if you're around it all the time. That's what they do to get through it."

Evans also found that many of the storylines were familiar because they were based on real cases that she'd read about in newspapers.

"There's some moral dilemmas in there which I found really interesting... you'll read scripts and you'll find you've read something like that in the paper, that cases like that have really happened."

And while the show may be marketed at a younger audiences, Evans says there's plenty in there for everyone.

"We also have some older characters and they've got a lot of great storylines and a lot of interaction between the two generations so I'm hoping it will appeal to lots of people," she says.

http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/top-stories/9...le-in-crownies/

-

You should leave your wig on

Debi Enker

July 7, 2011

IT IS not hard to see what the ABC's new legal drama wants to be: smart, dynamic and sexy. The racy publicity for the production has flagrantly pushed the sex-appeal angle.

Made by Screentime, the company that also produces Underbelly for Channel Nine, Crownies arrives with the subtitle ''Sex, Lies and Magistrates''. So, while it might be about lawyers who work at Public Prosecutions, some of those behind the scenes on the show want to make sure we don't miss that it's also about Sex. Apparently, Aunty wanted a little of the action Screentime brought to Nine with crime stories in which the gunfire is leavened with a whole lot of activity involving naked women in strip clubs, brothels and bedrooms.

Aunty's desire for hotness might not have been an easy brief, given this drama deals with an area of the profession that typically involves a preponderance of middle-aged men who wear wigs - and not necessarily because they're fond of dress-ups. The producers have overcome this obstacle by focusing on a handful of attractive young legal eagles, the ambitious twentysomething solicitors who work with the older and more experienced barristers. In the first episode, the writers even manage to stage a sequence in which a couple of the women linger in their lingerie as they dress for the office Christmas party.

The opening scene features a pretty blonde applying red lipstick, adjusting her stockings and suspenders and appraising her low-cut, sequinned top and hot pants before jauntily tapping on her bowler hat. You wonder what she might be preparing for, until it's revealed it's the aforementioned Christmas bash. Stretching the bounds of credulity to snapping point, she blithely spends a day at the office in that get-up.

To say this set-up smacks of cynicism would be an understatement. And it's unfortunate the show is grasping for the sheen of sex appeal to sell itself because it has a lot more to offer.

There's a substantial ensemble featuring a range of talented actors. There's an array of engaging characters with promising possibilities for development. And there's the rich dramatic potential that comes with a focus on the law: the ethical dilemmas; the problematic mechanics of trying to build a case; the emotional toll of dealing with the victims of crime.

Early on, Crownies is more concerned with office politics and personalities than the theatre of the courtroom. The aforementioned blonde, Tatum (Indiana Evans), is quickly revealed as a savvy operator, a young solicitor who's alert, astute and street smart.

The show has an impressive and diverse line-up of female characters, from senior prosecutor Janet (the classy Marta Dusseldorp), to flatmate solicitors Lina (Andrea Demetriades) and Erin (Ella Scott Lynch) and office dragon Tracey (Jeanette Cronin).

It makes its debut with admirable assets and its tacky sell could, charitably, be dismissed as the TV equivalent of opening-night nerves. But it does create the regrettable impression that the production is going for the sizzle of cheap thrills when what it is really after is a slower and more satisfying burn.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv-and...l#ixzz1RPcO5moE

-

Interview with Todd

http://www.blubrry.com/tvauscast/1088040/e...drama-crownies/

more reviews and articles about crownies :)

http://services.yourtv.com.au/reviews/?i=215027

http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/tv-...0706-1h146.html

Archived