Guest HighwayUnicorn

Story Title: What a Difference a Day Makes

Type of Story: One Shot

Main Characters: Belle & Aden

BTTB Rating: T/A

Genre: Romance

Does the Story Include Spoilers: None

Any Warnings: None

Summary: What could happen in a day to change Aden & Belle's life?

WHAT A DIFFERENCE A DAY MAKES

“Aden?” Belle whispered softly in question as she attempted to awake her husband from the deep sleep he had succumbed to. She leant over his toned abdomen, his muscular chest rising and falling with every soft breath he took, noting the time on the digital clock that stood on the bedside table. “Aden” she tried again, only louder, loud enough to draw him from his sleep, fluttering open his eyelids.

“Wh- what?” he groaned groggily as he opened his eyes which continued to refuse to open properly, the light shining through the window too bright and causing him to squint uncomfortably.

Belle let out a slight giggle, before pressing a quick kiss to Aden’s lips, something that gradually intensified before she pulled away after Aden had gratefully returned the kiss. “You’ve got to get up and get ready for work baby” Belle told him as a matter of fact, pouting her lips at her own statement as she realised that she could have easily stayed in bed all day with her husband, snuggling up to him.

Aden groaned loudly, throwing his head back on the pillow, falling perfectly into place where the indent was from where he had slept all night. “I can’t be bothered” he muttered underneath his breath as he turned to face Belle, who was raised on one elbow as she lay there watching him. “But” he added, “someone’s got to bring home the pennies for my beautiful, gorgeous, amazing, perfect wife and our little bub” he smiled sweetly at her, stroking her cheek before resting his hand on the small bump that had developed on her stomach.

“Hmm” Belle spoke as she frowned. “I might just have to join you whilst you get ready after you described me like that” she giggled, referring to the list of adjectives he had used previously.

“Definitely” Aden smiled. “It’s not the getting ready that’s the problem babe. It’s leaving you on your own. I hate leaving you here whilst I go out to work.”

“I know you do babe” Belle murmured as she placed a hand on her husband’s chest, gently caressing his toned body with her fingers. She knew her husband too well and she knew how much he hated leaving her at home on her own, especially in her condition. “But, like you said, someone’s got to go out and get the money” she told him.

“Yeah, but it’s not like I’m on a fortune is it babe?” he asked her rhetorically, referring to the low wages that he earned monthly.

There was silence between the two of them for a moment, both of them lapsing into comfortable quietness before Belle spoke once again. “You know, I am only two months gone. I can still work ...” she attempted to finish her sentence without Aden interrupting but she failed to succeed in her task as he automatically shot up in the bed and turned to face her.

“No” he told her simply, shaking his head. “Our money troubles aren’t anything for you to worry about sweetheart. Like I said, let me concentrate on that and you concentrate on looking after yourself and our baby, okay?”

“But ...” Belle began to protest.

“No buts, babe. I mean it. I don’t want you out working and putting yourself under stress and pressure. I’m meant to be looking after you, okay?” he whispered softly, placing one hand on the back of her head as he pressed a kiss to her forehead. “Now, how about the whole showering together thing that you promised me anyway?”

“Aden, no! I mean it ... no, Aden, it’s too cold ... turn it up ... turn it back up right now!” Belle glared at her husband whilst showering with him as he turned the dial down, the water blasting out cold.

Aden held his hands up, laughing at his wife as she reached for the dial to turn it up. “Babe” he murmured as he wrapped his arms around her waist, Belle rinsing the soap off the upper half of her body. “Like I said, I need to watch our finances at the moment. I mean, hot water costs a lot!” he joked, before pressing a series of kisses to Belle’s neck.

“Well, tough, Mr Jefferies!” she scolded jokingly as she turned in her husband’s arms and placed her palms flat against Aden’s bare, wet chest. “Although we are technically saving water by showering together” she giggled.

“See, already your getting the hang of saving money” Aden smiled.

“Hmm” Belle murmured. “I’m sure there are lots of ways to start saving ... until baby Jefferies makes their surprise visit” she smiled. “Then for me, it’s no foundation, blusher and mascara. It’s nappies, baby lotion, cream ... we should start writing out the list now ... not to mention the pram, the cot, decorating the nursery ...” she trailed of as Aden interrupted her, wrapping his arms tightly around her waist.

“We’ve got plenty of time for that sweetheart” Aden told her as she slowly nodded, wrapping her arms around her husband’s neck. “In the meantime, it’s cheap food and essentials, showering together and making love in the dark.”

After another ten minutes, Aden eventually reached for the button, turning off the shower. He pulled the towels down from the rack, wrapping one around his waist, exposing his chest once again, whilst placing the towel around Belle. Stepping out of the shower, the couple sat in front of the hot radiator, having the central heating swirling around their cosy apartment.

Aden placed an arm around Belle’s shoulder and pulled her into a hug, holding her securely in her arms as she shivered. “You feeling alright baby?” he asked softly.

Belle shrugged. “I think it’s just a bit of morning sickness, that’s all. Nothing to worry about” she confirmed. “You need to hurry up otherwise you’re going to be late” she told Aden gently, who nodded.

“That’s alright, I’ll tell Gibbsy the truth. I’ll tell him that my beautiful wife seduced me, nagging for me to shower with her because she just can’t resist my amazing body” he laughed as Belle sighed, shaking her head.

“You wish” she muttered with a smile as she stood up and headed into their bedroom to get changed.

“So yeah, our first scan is next month” Belle finished her sentence as she sat in the diner at a table with Nicole.

Both Belle and Nicole had been shopping in the Yabbie Creak for most of the morning, before they finally decided to head back to the Summer Bay diner for a coffee.

“What do you want, a boy or girl?” Nicole asked as she sat opposite her friend.

Belle shrugged. “I don’t really mind. I’ve always liked the idea of having a daughter, you know, but the idea of having a baby, Aden’s baby, it’s perfect. As long as he or she is healthy and happy, I don’t care” Belle told her.

“And Aden?”

Again, Belle shrugged. “We haven’t had that conversation yet.”

“Had what conversation love?” a chirpy voice spoke from behind Belle. She turned around to find Irene pulling out a chair beside her, sitting next to her and placing a hand on her lower back, a slight wince escaping from Belle’s body. “Love?” Irene asked worriedly.

Belle shook her head and offered a slight smile. “It’s nothing, I’ve just a bit of a back ache, that’s all.”

“If you’re sure” Irene spoke, raising her eyebrows at her foster daughter. “Anyway girlies, I’ve closed up now” Irene told them, Belle and Nicole having been so involved in their conversation that they had only just realised that they were the only two people, besides Irene, in the diner, “so we can have a nice little chat. What were you saying earlier ...” she trailed off as Belle filled her in on her previous conversation with Nicole. “Whether or not you have a girl or a boy, they will be the luckiest child in the world, sweetie” she told her foster daughter.

“They sure will be” Belle agreed. “You, for a Nan, Roman for a granddad and not forgetting Auntie Annie and Nicole and Uncle Geoff.” Belle paused for a moment before speaking again. “I think Aden would like to have a boy” she suddenly muttered.

“That doesn’t surprise me” Nicole told her with a smile. “I can see you having a son, Aden teaching him how to play footie and everything.”

“Well that’s exactly what I’m thinking. And if Aden’s anything to go by, my possible son could be amazing at footie and will just happen to be very good looking and handsome” she giggled.

“Yuck! Too much information Belle!” Nicole screwed up her nose at the thought of Belle talking about her brother like that.

“I don’t wanna know” Irene murmured. “How’s the new apartment anyway love?” she progressed the conversation further, referring to the apartment Belle and Aden had bought, after putting a deposit on it just before leaving for their honeymoon.

“Oh, Irene, it’s amazing!” Belle squealed. “Our bedroom has an en suite, the bathroom is to die for, the kitchen and lounge are perfect ... but there’s only one spare bedroom. If we want any more children after this one” Belle smiled as she gestured at her stomach, “then we’ll need to consider moving house.”

“Do you want more after this one?”

Belle nodded. “Yeah. Well, so far. I’ll give you a definite answer once I’ve come out of the delivery room in another 7 months” she giggled.

“There’s nothing to it darl” Irene smiled. “If it was that bad, people would stop after having one, but they don’t” she told them, as Belle nodded in agreement.

“Right” Belle placed her hands on the table, supporting herself as she stood up. “I’m just going to go to the bathroom and then are you ready to make a move?” Belle asked Nicole who nodded and gave a quick smile.

With that, Belle left Irene and Nicole sat at the table as she headed for the toilets in the diner. It took ten minutes before she came heading out of the door, her face paled and tears running down her cheeks, Nicole being the first to notice.

“Oh my God, Belle. What’s happened?” she asked gently as she headed over to her friend, closely followed by Irene, holding her arms out as Belle collapsed into them. “Belle? Come on, let’s get you sat down.” Nicole led Belle over to the table they were previously sitting at, both Nicole and Irene helping her to get comfortable before questioning her any further.

“Belle, love, what is it?” Irene asked softly.

Belle looked up at both Irene and Nicole, tears continuously trickling from her eyes and down her cheeks, not attempting to wipe them away.

“I’m bleeding.”

“Thanks, Aden. Great catch today mate” Gibbsy yelled from the other side of the fishing boat as Aden loaded the crates on top of each other.

“No worries” Aden replied casually. “I’ll see you on Monday, yeah?” Aden asked, having not been informed of a weekend catch.

“Yeah mate, Monday” Gibbsy confirmed, before Aden said a quick goodbye to him and left to arrive back home. As he began to walk off of the pier, the familiar ringtone began and he delved into his pocket to pull out his phone, surprised at the caller ID.

“Nic?” he answered.

“Aden, it’s Belle, you’ve got to come to the hospital” she cried.

Aden instantly fell speechless. All Nicole had to mention was Belle and hospital and he knew something was wrong. “Wh- what? Is ... is she okay? Wh-?” he muttered, unable to form a sentence.

“I ... Aden, just ... hurry ... please.”

The dial tone instantly played on the phone, signalling that Nicole had hung up. Racing towards his car in the car park, various scenarios ran through his mind, none of them positive. Forcing the key in the ignition, he started the engine, threw his phone on the passenger seat and began to drive in the direction of the hospital.

Without any hesitation, he soon arrived at the hospital, pulling up in the car park and running towards the entrance, not even bothering to lock the door as fear engulfed him.

Sprinting down the corridor, he suddenly spotted a head of blonde hair, distinctively Nicole. “Nic!” he shouted down the corridor, as she turned around, tears marking the cheeks.

“Aden” she whispered, choking out his name. Aden held out his arms as Nicole took hold of them and spoke the words he dreaded to hear. “She lost the baby” she whispered.

“No” he spoke firmly. What ... is she ... how ...” once again, Aden found it impossible to form speech and instead, looked in the direction of the room where Belle was situated after Nicole had nodded towards it.

Aden attentively and slowly headed towards the door, placing his hand on the handle once he approached toe door. He gradually opened it, pushing it open. As he stood in the door way, he looked at his wife’s dishevelled figure. Belle was staring the opposite direction of the door and had not acknowledged him, yet Aden was sure that she sensed his presence.

Tears had marked her cheeks, the tracks running down them, although no more tears were to be shed. The machines buzzed and whirred, needles inserted into her hands, an IV beside her and unknown substances pumping into her tiny frame.

Rachel stood on the opposite side of the room, gathering up the equipment that she had used and placing it on a trolley, before wheeling it outside. She gently patted Aden on his upper arm and offered him a supportive smile and a slight smile before exiting the room.

Aden gently sighed but remained in his standing position, watching carefully as Belle turned to face him, the sadness and hurt in her eyes literally killing him as he stood there.

“I’m so sorry” she choked out as more tears began to fall.

“You have nothing to be sorry for, do you hear me?” Aden told her firmly as he approached her, perching himself on the edge of the bed. He took her hands in one of his and placed one hand over her forehead, pushing back strands of hair in an attempt to soothe and calm her down.

“How can you say that, Aden? I lost our baby” she cried.

“Baby, it’s not your fault” Aden murmured. “These things happen.”

“These things happen?” she quoted, her voice raising slightly. “So what, they just happen do they? Our baby dies because things like this just happen!”

“Babe, you know that’s not what I meant” he soothed, calming her down once again. “But none of this is your fault, nobody could have done anything to stop this from happening.”

“I could have looked after our child, Aden. How difficult can that really be? I can’t even look after a baby inside me for nine months” she murmured, tears dripping from her eyes, Aden gently wiping them away. There was a comfortable silence between the two of them, Aden massaging Belle’s palms as she looked down, the tears eventually subsiding. “You know” she began again, “you hear stories like this all the time and I always wonder how these women don’t know that they’re miscarrying. Surely there must be signs. And there were.”

Aden frowned, confused. “What signs, sweetheart?”

Belle shrugged. “This morning, I had a stomach ache and this afternoon, I was in pain. I had a back ache” she stated simply.

Aden sighed. “Yeah, and they are all the common symptoms of pregnancy and morning sickness baby. You couldn’t have known this was going to happen and you couldn’t have stopped it either.”

“But ... I could have ...”

Aden held up his finger, pressing it against Belle’s lips before placing his hands against either side of her face and pressing a gentle kiss to her forehead. “You couldn’t have done anything.” Leaning into him, Belle began to sob, Aden wrapping his arms tightly around his wife’s petite body. Her fresh, warm tears fell from her eyes and onto Aden’s shirt, soaking it and staining it with the salt.

“Shhh” he soothed in an attempt to calm her down and allow her to relax.

Half an hour passed and the tears finally subsided, Belle now propped up by the pillows in the bed and Aden sat perched on the bed, facing his wife. They had fallen in and out of silence, with various pieces of conversation, although it was mostly small talk, yet neither of them were uncomfortable in each other’s company.

“How was work?” Belle asked, hoping to distract herself.

Aden smiled slightly before speaking. “Do you really want to talk about catching fish?

Belle shrugged. “What am I meant to talk about?” she asked sarcastically. “The loss of our baby? The fact that our baby dying may be the best thing that could have happened because I clearly wouldn’t be able to look after them” she snapped.

“Belle” Aden spoke firmly. “You don’t mean that.”

More tears formed in her eyes. “No, I’m sorry. I didn’t.” She shook her head. After another moment’s silence, she spoke again. “Tell me we can try for another one?” she whimpered.

Aden nodded. “Of course sweetheart. I want a baby with you, I want your baby and we will have a baby one day, our baby. But you need to mourn this baby first, before you think about having another one okay?” he suggested as Belle nodded.

“But we will try again ... one day?” she asked gently.

“One day” Aden spoke softly as he climbed into the bed next to his wife, pulling her into his arms, her breathing soft, resting her head on his chest and falling asleep, dreaming of the future child she and Aden would have and love.

COMMENTS

Archived