Who else loves Celia?

Guest matty

• 4 weeks later...

I really do like Celia. I'm not sure how I feel about her exit from the show so early. Had they really done everything they could with the character? Probably not. But she was somewhat limited in what she could do, and perhaps it was better she left while she was still good. I certainly enjoy her character a lot more now (as a grown up) than I did when I was a kid.

It also seems that as more time goes by the writers enjoy writing for Celia more and more. At first she was a pretty straight-laced busy body and the writers didn't have much room for movement within that, but I think Fiona Spence's somewhat camp portrayal of the character has made her much more comedic and the writers have really ran with that. I don't think she started off as a character with comedy in mind.

Celia's amazing. She's probably the character in the show who most people could identify with. The way she is alone and has never really found true happiness is something a lot of people feel, and you really do want her to be happy, but know that it's never going to happen. I much prefer her to Colleen, who seems like a gimmick more than a character. There is far more they ould have done with her character. In fact I'd be very pleased if they decided to bring her back to the current show, either in a permanent role or in a recurring capacity.

I agree. Celia works so well because she has this tragic side to her. Colleen has the potential to be written this way but for some reason the writers just play her for laughs. IIRC when her husband came back around 2000-ish and she fell back in love with him and then he ran off again stealing all her savings, even that was played mainly for laughs and I didn't like that. There's the daughter she gave up when she was young, the husband who cheated, and the son whose wife rarely lets him visit... they could really focus on Colleen's loneliness as well as her comedy side if they wanted to.

I do like Colleen, but I'd like her a lot more if the writers took her seriously. Ok so she was sad for about 2 episodes after she was arrested for theft, but that came to nothing.

And I agree about Celia returning as well. No plausible reason that I can see why she couldn't at least visit sometimes and recreate some of the classic Morag/Celia banter.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree. Celia works so well because she has this tragic side to her. Colleen has the potential to be written this way but for some reason the writers just play her for laughs. IIRC when her husband came back around 2000-ish and she fell back in love with him and then he ran off again stealing all her savings, even that was played mainly for laughs and I didn't like that. There's the daughter she gave up when she was young, the husband who cheated, and the son whose wife rarely lets him visit... they could really focus on Colleen's loneliness as well as her comedy side if they wanted to.

I do like Colleen, but I'd like her a lot more if the writers took her seriously. Ok so she was sad for about 2 episodes after she was arrested for theft, but that came to nothing.

And I agree about Celia returning as well. No plausible reason that I can see why she couldn't at least visit sometimes and recreate some of the classic Morag/Celia banter.

I don't think Colleen is a gimmick at all.

I think Colleen is a better character than Celia because at least Colleen has been given proper storylines at times.

The reason why they are similar characters is in the way they are busy-bodys and proud of being part of Summer Bay.

Colleen has a much stronger personality than Celia, and Colleen doesn't let people bully her like Celia does.

I don't think Colleen does get as lonely as Celia because she works in the Diner and is always around people. I think Colleen is more well liked by other characters than Celia, because I have noticed in the early years that a lot of characters always seem to not listen to Celia, whereas with Colleen they listen to her more and the teens have more respect for her.

Archived