The Underscore Thread

beau_t

I was relatively new to H&A in 2002 and I didn't really pay much attention to the music, but when 2004 came along with the new music style I really liked it. 2005-6-7 was quite hit and miss where music was concerned, there was some great stuff, like the flute composition used during the scattering of Flynn's ashes (and most of the cancer storyline really) but a lot of it was quite drab and almost 'made up on the spot', contrasting the more complex melodies Mike Perjanik would create.

I do think late 2007 saw some improvement though, I can't quite put my finger on what changed, but something did and I loved the music all through the final months of 07 and all of 08. 2009/ 2010/ 2011 had some nice pieces too and I'd say the standard of music was better than it was 05-07. I especially disliked the 'dramatic music' used from 05-08, where almost every disaster event would be accompanied by a fast paced digital- percussion-driven piece. They've kept that sort of sound since, but they tend to add dramatic strings/ piano crashes and more authentic sounding drums, which is pretty efffective.

I haven't seen enough of the show since the style changed in 2012, but from what I've heard it sounds like all traces of the 'old style' is gone. It sounds more akin to an american drama now, and whilst some of the music can be effective (I've liked some of the piano work and dramatic scores) it is a shame to lose touch with all those old melodies, which don't really 'fit in' anymore. :(

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcZozNYEkYs

Okay after 4 days of stress, I have finally managed to learn the 'sad theme' that was used from 89-94, mainly for the deaths in the Fletcher household. I tried to make it as 'full' as possible, having a piano only section (as used in Tom's funeral) , then moving to the one used in 93 for Dales death and then back to the one used for the famous Sally/ Pippa breakdown cliffhanger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcZozNYEkYs

Okay after 4 days of stress, I have finally managed to learn the 'sad theme' that was used from 89-94, mainly for the deaths in the Fletcher household. I tried to make it as 'full' as possible, having a piano only section (as used in Tom's funeral) , then moving to the one used in 93 for Dales death and then back to the one used for the famous Sally/ Pippa breakdown cliffhanger.

Great work and it sounds exactly like it was in The Early Years.

Thanks for sharing Andrew! I agree with the above post it sounds very authentic. Great job! I'm loving this early years music revival that's going on. I've always been a fan of this type of music.

With permission from the mods I would like to go back and edit the first post in this thread (my post) with links to all the clean underscores we now have from various sources?

The music I really like is the instrumental track in the first episode, where Pippa is preparing Tom's cake, I think that is called "Fletcher Theme 1", I have heard longer, extended versions of it in later episodes, later in the first episode, where the Fletchers are cleaning doing yard work, is another theme I enjoy, I believe it is "Fletcher Theme 2" and in Episode 60, right here is one theme I also like: http://youtu.be/GbMc27DyQMs. I put the exact Time Stamps where it starts and finishes: 13:10 - 14:01, this one is called "Summer Bay Theme", I might rip the cleanest possible versions of scores and upload them to YouTube.

The music I really like is the instrumental track in the first episode, where Pippa is preparing Tom's cake, I think that is called "Fletcher Theme 1", I have heard longer, extended versions of it in later episodes, later in the first episode, where the Fletchers are cleaning doing yard work, is another theme I enjoy, I believe it is "Fletcher Theme 2" and in Episode 60, right here is one theme I also like: http://youtu.be/GbMc27DyQMs. I put the exact Time Stamps where it starts and finishes: 13:10 - 14:01, this one is called "Summer Bay Theme", I might rip the cleanest possible versions of scores and upload them to YouTube.

When those theme wqre available for download in SBJ ot was reversed. the one you called Fletcher theme 1 was fletcher theme 2 and so on.

Thanks for sharing Andrew! I agree with the above post it sounds very authentic. Great job! I'm loving this early years music revival that's going on. I've always been a fan of this type of music.

With permission from the mods I would like to go back and edit the first post in this thread (my post) with links to all the clean underscores we now have from various sources?

Thanks, I tried to replicate it as closely as I could :) and nice idea! Though use this soundcloud link instead of the youtube one, because it offers the mp3 download too ;)

Fantastic work, Andrew! Every time I hear one of your takes on the classic underscores, it just further cements my belief that the music that gets broadcast today doesn't even compare to those underscores. If for whatever reason, the producers are unable to bring them back, then they should create brand new ones that are very similar sounding. It can't be that difficult to create some new similar sounding ones, surely?

Nice one, Andrew! Nailed it.

I agree, Jamie. I think they could do if they wanted to, but for some reason they seem to just want to really strip the music right back to very basic chords that don't really have a melody.

I'm of the opinion that stripping the music right back has added to the 'cold' feeling the show has these days. I also think Mike Perjanik's music really helped to create a very specific 'atmosphere' for the show and gave the audience a certain feeling towards Summer Bay and the characters. That's all gone now.

Archived