The Underscore Thread

beau_t

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you noticed a Bobby/Greg theme starting in the 1991 episodes. I always knew the piece, but didn't know it was character related.

Yes absolutely. Like you I didn't realise from the few times I'd heard it in clips over the years it was the Bobby/Greg theme, but now we're seeing the full episodes that's clearly what it is.

There are a few "lost" themes which I think we have heard the last of. What I think of as the "Stewart" theme hasn't been heard for ages which is a real shame. (at 6:32):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw-cBHfWWfw

Obviously Carly's theme left with Carly. Shame she never got a proper final scene where they could have played her theme one last time.

Alf and Ailsa's theme hasn't been heard since 1988 which is also a shame, but then Ailsa in particular is such a different character already.

Marilyn and Adam had their own short lived theme which was really nice but I don't think is ever used again.

Thankfully Michael and Pippa's theme (which I really like) continues to pop up now and again, sometimes not even for Michael and Pippa!

There are a few "lost" themes which I think we have heard the last of. What I think of as the "Stewart" theme hasn't been heard for ages which is a real shame.

That was one of my particular favourite underscores during 1988. It was used heavily when Alf and Ailsa split up too. I wonder if it really has disappeared or will be back at some point as a general score.

Have you noticed a Bobby/Greg theme starting in the 1991 episodes. I always knew the piece, but didn't know it was character related.

Yes absolutely. Like you I didn't realise from the few times I'd heard it in clips over the years it was the Bobby/Greg theme, but now we're seeing the full episodes that's clearly what it is.

There are a few "lost" themes which I think we have heard the last of. What I think of as the "Stewart" theme hasn't been heard for ages which is a real shame. (at 6:32):

Obviously Carly's theme left with Carly. Shame she never got a proper final scene where they could have played her theme one last time.

Alf and Ailsa's theme hasn't been heard since 1988 which is also a shame, but then Ailsa in particular is such a different character already.

Marilyn and Adam had their own short lived theme which was really nice but I don't think is ever used again.

Thankfully Michael and Pippa's theme (which I really like) continues to pop up now and again, sometimes not even for Michael and Pippa!

That Stewart theme in the clip you have definitely shows up again. In 1993, with Morag and Alf on the beach discussing Bobby! The the episode of Bobby's funeral. Must of been done on purpose. Hows that for continuity!

That Stewart theme in the clip you have definitely shows up again. In 1993, with Morag and Alf on the beach discussing Bobby! The the episode of Bobby's funeral. Must of been done on purpose. Hows that for continuity!

I don't think the Stewart Theme is played during that scene. It's a nice emotional score, but I'm sure it isn't the Stewart theme.

• 1 month later...

I don't know about that ^ but I'm sure we've heard

Sophie/ David's 'couple'

theme already, over a scene between Sophie/ Haydn on the beach. Unless it was just a similar sounding one..? :huh:

Whilst we're on the subject of underscore covers... I did a few for Neighbours, but I thought I'd give one of H&A's orchestral mid-90's ones a go...

This just takes you right back

I don't think the Stewart Theme is played during that scene. It's a nice emotional score, but I'm sure it isn't the Stewart theme.

Yeh you're right. But its defo used in 1993 around Bobby's death. Desperately trying to think on what scene. Might be a scene with Adam and Nick.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone remember the time when some of the teenagers had a band. And will words to a song as he was a bit of poet. A character trait they soon forgot about. The lyric were really near the mark as in quite saucy. The band "The Broken Magnets" wrote the music.

Also they time they did a Romeo and Juliet musical with the script sung by Tiegan and another guy. Just wondering if anyone knew if it was perjanik that would have written these pieces of music because they were really nice.

• 4 months later...

Stewarts theme is one of my favourites.. And it was played not only in Stewarts scenes. I could imagine it being played at scenes with Alf and Sally this year. Do you think it could have been restored for that occasion?

I think it would work well for any scene that involves Alf reminiscing about Ailsa really, it would be such a nice touch. That theme is one of my favourites and it's a shame it wasn't in use for very long! I think along with the 'general sad theme' (heard when Pippa and Sally cry in bed over Tom) an updated 'Alf/ Ailsa' theme would sit well in the current show, because both pieces were rather simplistic, but very effective!

My friend and I have set up a Facebook group dedicated to the music of H&A and Neighbours, where we will post a few 'cover versions' of themes soon, so feel free to join ;)

Thanks for creating the group. It looks great!

I love the music that was used from 1988-2000. It was completely piano based from 2001-2003 but once Nick Perjanik took over in 2004, they started using other instruments again.

After 2005 they started phasing it out completely. A part of Home and Away is missing now without the underscores IMO.

Archived