The Underscore Thread

beau_t

After a bit of googling I have just stumbled across a beautiful and clean version of Bobby's Theme.

https://soundcloud.com/jserafi/summer-bay-remembers-bobby

That is really nice!! I like how it's a mix of the classic theme and the reworked 2008 version (with the strings). I was just about to do Bobby's theme but I guess I'll have to find another one to try out! :D

Question: In

clip, there's a piano piece that I recognized instantly, but I have no recollection of where else it was used... It almost sounds like it's from a different show altogether.

and.. what I came here to do. I've messed around with that Donald/ Maz wedding theme I did a few months back and included some missing notes and the climax at the end (a bit of a dodgy one).

* This theme and others are available to download here :)

Great job! I can almost hear Donald reciting "She Walks in Beauty"

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After a bit of googling I have just stumbled across a beautiful and clean version of Bobby's Theme.

https://soundcloud.com/jserafi/summer-bay-remembers-bobby

That is really nice!! I like how it's a mix of the classic theme and the reworked 2008 version (with the strings). I was just about to do Bobby's theme but I guess I'll have to find another one to try out! :D

Question: In

clip, there's a piano piece that I recognized instantly, but I have no recollection of where else it was used... It almost sounds like it's from a different show altogether.

and.. what I came here to do. I've messed around with that Donald/ Maz wedding theme I did a few months back and included some missing notes and the climax at the end (a bit of a dodgy one).

* This theme and others are available to download here :)

Great job! I can almost hear Donald reciting "She Walks in Beauty"

I think the first time round this theme didn't really stand out to me. It's only since I've re watched the wedding in recent years that I've come to appreciate how well composed it is. It's quite simple, but there is a lot of emotion in there. I'm sure the context has a major part to play too - Norman has a very engaging voice, that coupled with images of Emily looking so beautiful...

I was thinking earlier that since it's H&A's 25th year then maybe we'd hear Bobby's theme again in some episodes. I loved the 2008 variation and it worked really well. The scored music used now is really plain and void of emotion. Perhaps when Sally returns we'll hear some classic scores? They cynic in me says that the current lot don't know about the old scores (though John Holmes/Julie McGauran should since they're EP).

It would be nice!

I really liked the underscore for Roo when she walked into Summer Bay House for the first time and had her reunion with Alf. It was used a few times when she and Alf reminisced and spoke of the past. It had a really classic feel to it Imo, piano and strings.

They seem to have almost completely phased the piano underscores out though now, so I doubt that Bobby's theme or any classic sounding underscore will be heard. Hopefully I'm wrong. They didn't use a piano based underscore when Colleen left, and that's usually the time we'd hear something emotional.

I guess at some point though current guardians want to put their own mark on the show and create their own history. As fans we can put ideas of how we'd like the show to go safe in the knowledge that we'll never be in a position of having to make any decision. They can just do things that have been done in the past or they can they can try putting their own ideas forward. Whether they are any good or not is a different question.

I guess a similiar situation to me tonight. Choosing which DVD to watch I thought about Schindler's List, partly influenced by the fact that we were talking about The Oscars and also because I know I enjoy the film, but I could also choose a DVD of a film I'd never seen and take a risk that the film will be utter ****.

^I agree about putting their own mark on it. It's inevitable. But I'm all for change when it's actually better and enhances the show. In relation to the current underscore, I don't think it enhances the show or scenes - just makes it all feel cold and unemotional. Perhaps that's what those in charge want to go for.

The thing with music, like incidental music, it is often something people don't think about - yet it actually plays a huge role in the way we perceive characters, scenes, directions and the show as a whole - it's just mostly subconscious. Some people can be watching a scene that has little emotion coming from the actors, but with the help of some poignant music it can fool the viewers into thinking the actors are great.

• 3 months later...

Archived