The Underscore Thread

beau_t

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's neither. I'd probably call it Sophie's Love theme as it's used for her romance with Haydn and then more memorably for her storyline with David (and any mentions of David thereafter such as throughout her pregnancy and birth of Tamara).

I agree it's a beautiful piece. So melancholy, like much of Mike Perjanik's themes. There's a relatively clean copy (except the noise of waves) in this episode if you skip to 5:19

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4c0oge

While I'm in this thread I might as well comment on the underscores at the moment. Now that we're well and truly in the new "orchestral" era, I have noticed the same pieces being used over and over. I guess it took a while for Mike to build up a new catalogue. My current favourite is the piece used when Pippa's window was smashed and more recently when the cops approached Bert and Sam on the side of the road. A different, more dramatic version, was also used when Andrew hit Donna.

I also like the "Shane/Angel Love Theme" used on their wedding day and used a few times for their scenes since, but not often enough IMO.

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed an old underscore occurring in a scene in Episode 1756. The piece of music reminded me of when Tug was in tears after breaking up with Sarah after Shane's musical.

Marilyn catching Curtis & Selina "at it" (1756)

UPDATE: I have found another one in today's repeat episode: Unruly students (1762)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm sure that they used a 1993/4 era underscore in the 95 finale (or was it the 96 return?) when Selina was getting into the idea of Saul's cult. Can't remember the exact scene but it stood out to me. Pretty sure that there was a scene just before or soon after where Selina was empathising with Pip (i.e. Dale) about losing babies etc.

Not quite underscore and not quite jukebox material - but a little tidbit none the less. The music on the 'TV' in Ep 1785, when Sam was telling Michael about the movie he was watching, was a piece from the KPM production library called The Final Chapter (track 6 on that album).

I only know that as it was a piece I happened to use in one of my own short films - at the time it had a sense of familiarity as I was sure it was also used in the background of one of those real-life mystery shows on UK TV in the 90s...either the one with Carol Vorderman, Michael Aspel or perhaps even the It's a Mystery CITV show that Tristan Bancks co-presented...

It would be good to get clean copies of the soundtrack. And, as I've said in the past, there were relatively clean copies on Summer Bay Journal... Maybe Mike Perjanik should release an album with the Home and Away underscores for the 30th anniversary.

They made a whole score out of the tune Mud played on the harmonica.

Some of Junichi Masuda's music in Pokémon has that Home and Away Early Years feel, heck, even a track from a fan-made Pokémon game has the Home and Away Early Years feel, maybe Home and Away is shown in Japan...

Archived