The Underscore Thread

beau_t

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, alexx said:

I wonder if Mike Perjanik would ever release them as a downloadable album or something. I wonder if he's even aware of how many people appreciate the music he composed for Home and Away.

It would be a dream to have access to all of the wonderful scores (piano and orchestral) - but given he composed thousands of scores I'd settle for a selection from each era. He did tend to re-use I'd say about 40 pieces that became quite memorable during the 80's and 90's - perhaps he had favourites and he could upload them.

Maybe "Back To The Bay" could find a way of getting in touch with Mike and kindly requesting?

Both "Sons and Daughters" and "Prisoner" fans have managed to get clean copies of their incidental music so it's not unheard of.

I agree about the orchestral pieces. There are so many I'd love to hear clean copies of such as the "Jack rescuing Nelson" piece from the bush fire episdoe, Michael's death scenes, Pippa's Order of Australia piece, and a lot of pieces from the plane crash episodes especially Shane and Angel reunited.

Well just after I posted last week that we never get any nice long pieces of piano score anymore, we've been spoiled with them. Shane and Ros' talk on the beach was a lovely scene, accompanied by the old "Celia's theme". Rob and Roxy's talk in  the hospital room before she went in for her operation was accompanied by the best version yet of the old Alf/Ailsa/Stewart theme. And on Friday we had a snippet of the old Sophie/David theme with Jack crying on the beach.

Oh and Michael and Pippa's bedroom scene had the original Michael/Pippa romance theme which had since been dropped and used occasionally for other things, so it was really nice to see it brought back to its original use.

I cant help but wonder if Mike Perjanik is giving his old favourite scores one last "hurrah" before the coming change in 1995.

On 5 March 2016 at 2:36 AM, beau_t said:

Maybe "Back To The Bay" could find a way of getting in touch with Mike and kindly requesting?

Both "Sons and Daughters" and "Prisoner" fans have managed to get clean copies of their incidental music so it's not unheard of.

I agree about the orchestral pieces. There are so many I'd love to hear clean copies of such as the "Jack rescuing Nelson" piece from the bush fire episdoe, Michael's death scenes, Pippa's Order of Australia piece, and a lot of pieces from the plane crash episodes especially Shane and Angel reunited.

The music used in Sons & Daughters and Prisoner was released on records by external sources like KPM, Bruton Music, Boosey & Hawkes etc. and composed by various composes such as Brian Bennett, Keith Mansfield, John Cameron, John Fiddy, etc.

I'm guessing Mike Perjanik worked for Channel 7?

19 hours ago, beau_t said:

I cant help but wonder if Mike Perjanik is giving his old favourite scores one last "hurrah" before the coming change in 1995.

Definitely have to agree, the couple of weeks I've been watching today I've also noticed a few bars of Emma's Theme sneaking in as well as a bit of Meg & Blake's Theme

16 hours ago, Old H&A Fan said:

The music used in Sons & Daughters and Prisoner was released on records by external sources like KPM, Bruton Music, Boosey & Hawkes etc. and composed by various composes such as Brian Bennett, Keith Mansfield, John Cameron, John Fiddy, etc.

I'm guessing Mike Perjanik worked for Channel 7?

Yeah, the likes of Bruton and KPM are production music libraries, meaning the pieces actually originated there and were picked for use in the shows. Library music is non-exclusive and therefore available for any production to license. It can also usually be previewed on the sites in question, hence why people can get hold of clean copies for certain shows.

H&A's music on the other hand was specially composed for the show by Mike Perjanik.

21 hours ago, Old H&A Fan said:

The scene in today's episode (1597) in Mr Fisher's lounge room where Shane tells Angel that she won't accept Ros's offer to help pay for a lavish wedding, at the first commercial break. Was this the first time the new style music plays?

I'm glad you mentioned this Old H&A Fan, as I came on to post the same thing. It certainly sounded very different from the style of underscore we've had up to now. Although it's also different from what would eventually become the "sound" of 1995 onward underscores. I'd say they're definitely starting to experiment now with different ideas.

The piece itself was quite lovely, I replayed the scene just to hear it again. I hope it's used again, although I personally don't recognize it from memory.

The music that plays in Episode 1601 when Shane tells Damian he's going to spend money from his and Angel's honeymoon account. It reminds me of

Spoiler

when Samantha sent Alf that fax saying "STICK YOUR DEVELOPMENT WHERE IT FITS YOU GREEDY, POWER-HUNGRY FASCIST" wasting a whole roll of his fax paper :lol:

On 3/15/2016 at 10:08 AM, beau_t said:

I'm glad you mentioned this Old H&A Fan, as I came on to post the same thing. It certainly sounded very different from the style of underscore we've had up to now. Although it's also different from what would eventually become the "sound" of 1995 onward underscores. I'd say they're definitely starting to experiment now with different ideas.

The piece itself was quite lovely, I replayed the scene just to hear it again. I hope it's used again, although I personally don't recognize it from memory.

I've also noticed the music changing. I can imagine some of the recent scores being played with strings instead of the piano because the tempo or something has changed. I've also noticed that a realistic sounding harp is being used to keep tempo in some of the scores, which of course is used a lot in 1995.

Archived