The Underscore Thread

beau_t

As I said in the 1994 episode discussion, 'Carly's' theme played over the scene where Angel told Damien and Pippa all about her pregnancy and giving up Dylan. I think it was the first time it had been played since Carly left. It would be nice to hear a cover of this piece piece. I wish they'd reuse some Perjanik scores for today's show. The strings they started using in 1995 were great as well. Some great guitar riffs. :)

To be precise, Carly's theme has been used for Finlay in 1993 :)

Wasn't this also used when Mr Fisher read Angel's diary where it said he had forgotten what it was like to be in love, when she was forced to go house-hunting, before Bobby's death

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

You've just reminded me of a piece of really emotional music used when Stephen was talking to either Viv or Rebecca down near a creek. I'll probably never remember the episode number now but it was such a nice score I listened to it over and over again a couple of years ago (I think it was the 1988 season).

I'm looking forward to the first episode that the new more orchestral scoring starts. I think it should start creeping in within the next 8 weeks or so. I think the music in 1995 was perfect because they used a mix of the classic piano scores and the new orchestral music. It really was a solid combination.

In yesterday's episode (or was it Monday's) when Roxy had an emotional talk with Alf in the dining room, they played a piece of an old score used for Alf/Ailsa or Stewart family related stuff. It was really nice to hear it again all this time later, although it wasn't very long.

I have noticed in 1994, they don't really do long pieces of emotional piano music anymore. They used to play over a whole scene, or much of a scene, whereas now they tend to just come in towards the end, so when they use old pieces of score, you only get to hear a snippet of it, and then it stops. In this respect, the piano pieces kind of don't really work as well as they used to, and maybe this is why they were phased out in 1995.

Yeah they were written just for the show, by the show's own composer Mike Perjanik (who also wrote the theme song). A lot of people have expressed appreciation of the piano pieces but unfortunately they have never been made available.

17 hours ago, beau_t said:

Yeah they were written just for the show, by the show's own composer Mike Perjanik (who also wrote the theme song). A lot of people have expressed appreciation of the piano pieces but unfortunately they have never been made available.

I wonder if Mike Perjanik would ever release them as a downloadable album or something. I wonder if he's even aware of how many people appreciate the music he composed for Home and Away.

It would be a dream to have access to all of the wonderful scores (piano and orchestral) - but given he composed thousands of scores I'd settle for a selection from each era. He did tend to re-use I'd say about 40 pieces that became quite memorable during the 80's and 90's - perhaps he had favourites and he could upload them.

Archived