The Underscore Thread

beau_t

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Early Years Underscore (hints of Bobby and Greg's Theme and Sophie's Theme)

If anyone hasn't listened to it yet, this one is really nice (but wasn't sure what to call it).

That's a really nice piece of music, Mike Perjanik at his best. Well done to jserafi!

I wonder how long it used to take to compose a piece of music like that from scratch? Compared to these days where they seem to just score the show on a weekly basis - which inevitably means less melody. I image Mike would score each episode by reusing the larger/longer tracks (the one above/Bobby's Theme etc.) and composing the short 5/10 second pieces weekly.

Early Years Underscore (hints of Bobby and Greg's Theme and Sophie's Theme)

If anyone hasn't listened to it yet, this one is really nice (but wasn't sure what to call it).

That's a really nice piece of music, Mike Perjanik at his best. Well done to jserafi!

I wonder how long it used to take to compose a piece of music like that from scratch? Compared to these days where they seem to just score the show on a weekly basis - which inevitably means less melody. I image Mike would score each episode by reusing the larger/longer tracks (the one above/Bobby's Theme etc.) and composing the short 5/10 second pieces weekly.

The new scores are forgettable and not well done.

• 6 months later...

Early underscores perfectly reflects situations being portrayed. I even laugh sometimes when characters argue and dramatic music comes along, because I know that I'm going to see some serious fireworks. Current underscores are very monotonic and unmemorable.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

As I said in the 1994 episode discussion, 'Carly's' theme played over the scene where Angel told Damien and Pippa all about her pregnancy and giving up Dylan. I think it was the first time it had been played since Carly left. It would be nice to hear a cover of this piece piece. I wish they'd reuse some Perjanik scores for today's show. The strings they started using in 1995 were great as well. Some great guitar riffs. :)

As I said in the 1994 episode discussion, 'Carly's' theme played over the scene where Angel told Damien and Pippa all about her pregnancy and giving up Dylan. I think it was the first time it had been played since Carly left. It would be nice to hear a cover of this piece piece. I wish they'd reuse some Perjanik scores for today's show. The strings they started using in 1995 were great as well. Some great guitar riffs. :)

To be precise, Carly's theme has been used for Finlay in 1993 :)

Archived