The Underscore Thread

beau_t

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know about that ^ but I'm sure we've heard

Sophie/ David's 'couple'

theme already, over a scene between Sophie/ Haydn on the beach. Unless it was just a similar sounding one..? :huh:

Whilst we're on the subject of underscore covers... I did a few for Neighbours, but I thought I'd give one of H&A's orchestral mid-90's ones a go...

I don't know about that ^ but I'm sure we've heard

Sophie/ David's 'couple'

theme already, over a scene between Sophie/ Haydn on the beach. Unless it was just a similar sounding one..? :huh:

It's the same one. And the one that's just been used for Blake/Rachel is later used for Blake/

Meg

(although there's a couple of other really good themes used for that storyline as well, including the previously heard Steven/Jennifer theme and one we've not heard yet but will soon be coming up for Nick/Julie).

Whilst we're on the subject of underscore covers... I did a few for Neighbours, but I thought I'd give one of H&A's orchestral mid-90's ones a go...

Very good! Please have a go at Shane's death theme :)

Great Andrew! Sounds pretty much identical to the original.

Of course you can't beat the classic piano based scores, particularly because they were character themes - but I think I've always preferred the orchestral based underscores. Some of my favourites include:

Earthquake Aftermath/Angel sitting amongst her destroyed house - also notably used in 2000 when Lance and Debbie departed as Colleen waved them off.

Shane's Death music/Fisher on the phone to Nick

Angel telling Dylan, Shane is dead. Another rendition of this was Ailsa telling Alf she needed help (during the Bobby's Ghost episode).

Angel and Shane's wedding music - played at the end as they are pronounced man and wife and during the next episode, when they exit the church and everyone is throwing confetti etc. It's such a bitter sweet underscore.

Fisher walking around his burnt out house at the end of one of the bush fire episodes - also used when Pippa breaks down with Sally, after Michael's Funeral and at the end of the school hostage episode. Also used as Pippa contemplated whether or not to accept the invitation to receive her 'Order of Australia'.

Rebecca's Departure scenes in Summer Bay House - as she looks around/says goodbye to Don. Also another rendition of this score was used when Diana broke down on the beach with Chloe.

Edward and Peta remember old times in Summer Bay House. Also used during a scene between Rebecca and Casey, a few episodes before Casey's departure.

Music when Will read out his speech alone at Ken's grave side. I really like this score. I'm sure it was used prior to 2000.

Music used when Edward watched his father's video, also used after Ken's death and for a scene between Sally and Tim in 1998.

Stephanie telling Sebastian about her childhood in 1996 - also heavily used throughout 1995. Starts with an oboe/horn and then into strings with a prominent harp melody.

Irene crying in church, pleading for God to bring back Paul.

Sally telling Shannon what she and Scott had done, ending with them hugging. It was a very classic sounding score, but orchestral and as usual, very bitter/sweet.

Sally crying at Michael's grave in 1997 - a Sad underscore.

Joey talking to Chloe on the beach, about Saul's death in 1997.

Pippa and Ailsa talking about Sally's disappearance -when Pippa says the river had taken Michael and now Sally.

There are loads more scores from 95-00 that I really like. In 2000 Mike Perjanik seemed to bring back a lot of the 1995-1996 underscores for one last play - perhaps because he was told that the music style would change in 2001? I wonder whether the already established character themes, like Bobby's, Carly's, Sophie's etc. would have continued and been re-arranged to suit the orchestral style, had those characters remained in the show during that time. An orchestra version of The Fletcher Theme was used once in 1995.

^They're great scores and very dramatic.

The music from this episode is also a favourite dramatic score of mine - very gripping, particularly when Danni is searching for help and then it becomes very emotional and creepy:

http://youtu.be/qAYpFn1eIXI?t=28s

And this music (at the beginning of the clip/Dylan etc.) always stood out to me as being quite scary: http://youtu.be/IzeeUjd6c70

Archived