1989 Episode Discussion

Guest Dan F

I do think upon watching, this tail end of 1989 has been pretty poor. I know sometimes when you watch at programme towards the end of a season, you can kind of know that they must be building up to something at the end of it, and after some of the issues it dealt with it just feels a bit like time filling at the moment. I guess part of the problem is you can look at the first 350 episodes and it was a Stewart/Fisher/Fletcher mini-series. It was all about dynamics like Bobby's paternity, the love-triangles and also the different families. Since probably the time that Sally and the Keating's, with the possible exception of Emma, the storylines just seem so shallow. Bunyips, hot dog vans, Rory, sharks.

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ryan it was 22 years ago the storylines were a lot simpler back then. Viv annoyed me in yesterdays episode asking Emma to let her drive unlicened. Emma takes her for a nice drive and what does she do drive unlicened and run into someone elses car getting them both into trouble.

Ryan it was 22 years ago the storylines were a lot simpler back then. Viv annoyed me in yesterdays episode asking Emma to let her drive unlicened. Emma takes her for a nice drive and what does she do drive unlicened and run into someone elses car getting them both into trouble.

Were they?

We've just come off the quite brilliant Dodge storyline, we've had Bobby's paternity storyline, which lasted 50 episodes, but one wonders at what point the seeds were first laid for it, we had Roo's troubles, from abortion, adoption and everything, we had post-natal depression, we had Morag's destructive tendencies, we've had Carly's rape and alcoholism. You might be right in that none required us to know the complexity of immigration law as 2009 required, but at the same time all of that has been a lot better than the past 2-3 months.

We've just come off the quite brilliant Dodge storyline, we've had Bobby's paternity storyline, which lasted 50 episodes, but one wonders at what point the seeds were first laid for it, we had Roo's troubles, from abortion, adoption and everything, we had post-natal depression, we had Morag's destructive tendencies, we've had Carly's rape and alcoholism. You might be right in that none required us to know the complexity of immigration law as 2009 required, but at the same time all of that has been a lot better than the past 2-3 months.

With regards to Bobby's parentage storyline, I wonder how that came about. Did they first come up with the idea that Donald should be the dad, and then when thinking about who her mother should be, choose Morag? Or was it the other way around. The last time we see Morag in 88, the writers obviously like her and give her an almost "I'll be back" final scene. Did they decide to bring her in permenantly, make her Bobby's mother (which is what we, the audience, learn first) and then decide having Fisher as the father would be the icing on the cake?

Anyway it's a very complex, well put together, and well played out storyline. Definately not "simple".

I wonder why they wrote Morag out without having her tie things up with Bobby. Not very "Summer Bay" to leave things so unfinished. They never even had a particularly memorable final scene together. Even a shot of Bobby walking along the road as Morag drives by on her way out of town, and they just pause for a moment and glare at each other before Morag drives off, would have been good.

Having finally got to the conclusion of the Danny storyline, all I can say is...that was weird.I could just about buy Bobby and Don sympathising with Danny when Morag was the aggressor and he seemed to be traumatised by the experience.But the way they both seemed quite happy to just let him wander off after trying to kill her?Huh?At least Don acknowledged he needed professional help, whereas Bobby was apparently willing to just carry on dating a guy with a homocidal split personality. The whole "He won't harm Bobby" thing that even Ailsa seemed convinced of seemed a bit naive when we know he came within seconds of killing her when he first arrived, before he found out Morag didn't like her anyway.By the end, it seemed Danny was the sanest one of the lot of them as he acknowledged he need help and couldn't guarantee he wouldn't go crazy again.

Surprised Morag left too, I thought she was around for a few more episodes.

I'll expand more on recent posts laster, but the two guys who Viv 'crashed' into with their car, one of them was Stephen's running friend from school wasn't it, the one who Samuels picked on, the cop's kid? He changed heads in such a short space of time, all of a sudden he's a rebel who seems to like causing trouble. Shame if it is the same kid because he seemed like a good bloke initially. Unless they want us to believe it's a different boy.

Archived