Just the Once

Guest Red Ranger 1

First, apologies for the long gaps between updates.I'd like to say it was real life getting in the way but it's more a case of having too many self-imposed projects on the go.Second, thank you to everyone who's commented, hearing what people think of this always make me pleased.Third, thank you to everyone who's been reading but not commented, I've been watching the view count go up in amazement and it's nice that so many people think this is worth a look.

Hope you enjoy.

CHAPTER 11

The boys had retired to the next room, leaving them to speak alone:Indigo, Tracey…and, by default, April, largely because she was a girl.

“I don’t mean to be insensitive but…who’s the father?”Indigo asked.

“Derek.”

“Your boyfriend?”asked April for clarification.

Tracey nodded.“I guess it wasn’t that serious, we never talked about marriage or living together or anything like that but…I thought he liked me.”

“Things didn’t end so well?”April asked.

“I told him about the baby and…he told me to get rid of it, said we were both meant to be going off to college, that we couldn’t deal with a baby.I told him that I didn’t want to, that I wanted to keep him.So he said that if I wanted to do that, I’d have to do it on my own.”

“But your parents have helped, right?”Indigo checked.She saw the sad look on Tracey’s face.“Right?”she repeated, less certainly.

“They were the same,”Tracey replied,“They wanted me to have an abortion, I said I didn’t want to do that. In the end, Dad said that if I wanted to have a baby, I’d have to do it under someone else’s roof.So I did. Lived in hostels and shelters until the council found me this place.Been surviving on dead end jobs and benefits.”

“Tracey, I’m…I’m so sorry,”Indigo said at last,“Why didn’t you tell me any of this before?You must have known you were pregnant last time I saw you…”

Tracey hesitated.“I didn’t realise until I was three months gone.”

“All the same…”

“I thought I could cope,”Tracey insisted,“I didn’t realise it was going to be this hard.He needs me for everything and I’m trying so hard to be a good mother, I really want to be one.”Her voice was on the verge of breaking.“I just…I just need some help.”

Indigo sat down next to her awkwardly.“Well, I can call my dad, see if he can talk to your parents or maybe you can come and stay with us for a bit…”

“No,”Tracey replied insistently,“I don’t want anyone else to know about this.I just need you to stay and help, for a while.Please?”

Indigo looked hesitant.April sat down on the other side of Tracey, linked an arm with her and gave her the most reassuring smile she could manage.“Of course we will,”she replied,“We’ll all stay for as long as you need us.”

The boys were stood around Ben’s cot, staring at him lying there, as if expecting him to explode any second or something.“Is there something we should maybe be doing?”asked Romeo.

Dexter considered this for a moment.“I think in these circumstances the best thing to do is let sleeping babies lie.”

“That’s dogs,”Xavier pointed out.

“Is there any reason this situation should be any different?”

“I take it you didn’t know Tracey had a baby?”Romeo asked.

“I didn’t even know her inside leg measurement.Although I suppose whether or not she has a baby would be considered more essential information than that…”

“Um, Xav, can we have a word?”Romeo drew his friend away slightly.“Sorry.”

“What for?”asked Xavier in a casual tone that wasn’t entirely convincing.

“Well…this was meant to be about taking your mind off things and instead it’s turned into…”

“Here’s what you could have won?”Xavier patted him on the shoulder.“I’m a big boy, Romeo.I’m not going to fall apart.”

Romeo glanced round as he saw Indigo and April come in.“What’s the story with Tracey?”asked Romeo.

“She’s not coping,”Indigo replied,“And, from the sound of things, she hasn’t got anyone else.”

“The dad?”Xavier asked.

“Didn’t stick around.And her parents didn’t fancy a grandkid in the house so they kicked her out as well.”

“And we thought we’d lucked out in the parent department,”Dexter mused,“Fancying the same people as you kind of pales in comparison, doesn’t it?”

“We said we’d stick around and help her out,”April explained.

“How long for?”asked Romeo.

April shrugged.“As long as it takes, I guess.”

Xavier sighed.“Guess we’d better ring home and tell them not to expect us back any time soon…”

A quick ring round had taken in Sid, Gina, Miles and Irene, all of the teens giving as little information as possible.Xavier had headed through into the kitchen to see if there was anything to eat only to find Tracey in there, feeding Ben from a bottle.“Sorry,”he said, feeling like he was intruding.

Tracey gave him a slight smile.“That’s okay.”

Xavier hovered in the doorway, feeling uncomfortable but also feeling like there was a million things he wanted to ask.“You seem to be doing a good job with him.”

“I hope so.”Tracey seemed to hesitate.“I wanted so much to be a good mother.”

“Indi and April told us that the father wanted you to get rid of it.And your parents too?

“Yeah.”

“Do you mind me asking…did you ever consider it?”

Tracey looked at him in surprise.“What do you mean?”

“I mean…getting rid of the baby, having an abortion…that would have solved things for you, wouldn’t it? I mean, you could have gone on living with your parents, so didn’t you ever think..?”

“No.I get what you’re saying and…you’re right, it would have been easier.But the moment I heard I was pregnant…I knew I wanted to be a mum.I’d have given up everything for this baby.”

“Not all girls think like that.”

“I can’t help what other girls think.”

“Not all guys think like yours either.”Xavier bit his lip, realising he was getting into areas he didn’t want to discuss or think about.“We’ll be in the other room if you want us,”he added before beating a hasty retreat.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the comments, Carina and Jarliefan.Hope people like this chapter.

CHAPTER 12

It had been two days.They’d all taken it in turns to look after Ben, to take him for walks and to bathe him, allowing Tracey to get some rest, and, even if they said so themselves, they thought they were getting quite good at it.

“Do you think Dexter will be all right in the house on his own?”Tracey asked as the rest of them walked through the park.

“Don’t worry about him,”Indigo assured her,“Stick him in front of the Disney Channel and he’s happy.”

“I think he said it was research,”April added.

“Still, I’d rather we weren’t out too long,”Tracey continued.

“Well, I’m afraid we’re going to have to disappoint you,”Indigo replied, suddenly putting the brake on the pram that Tracey was pushing.

“What-what are you doing?”Tracey asked, as Indigo and April took her by the arms and began leading her away.

“It’s time for us girls to have alone time,”Indigo answered.

April threw a glance back at Romeo and Xavier, who were standing by the pram looking slightly bemused.“We’ll meet you three boys back here in about two hours, okay?”

Xavier looked at Romeo.“Did you know they were going to do that?”

Romeo shook his head.He glanced at Ben, who was staring up at him from the pram with a confused expression.“Okay, kid.Looks like me and your Uncle Xav here have got a bit of time to kill.”

Indigo and April had taken Tracey to a dress shop and persuaded her to try on one of the outfits.They were sat outside the changing room waiting for her.“Do you think this was a good idea?”April asked.

“Do you know any girl who can’t be cheered up with a bit of retail therapy?”Indigo returned.

“Not many,”April agreed.She sighed.“Seriously, in this day and age, how could anyone kick their daughter out of home for getting pregnant?”

“I know.I tell you, I’m never going to moan about my dad again after this.At least, not for a few weeks.”

Tracey came out of the changing room wearing the pink dress they’d chosen for her.She gave a slight twirl.“How do I look?”

“Gorgeous,”Indigo told her.

April stroked the dress slightly, feeling the material.“Wow, that’s really nice.”

“Shame I can’t afford it,”Tracey sighed.

“Well, I can buy it for you,”Indigo suggested.

Tracey shook her head.“You can’t do that.”

“It’s okay, my allowance will cover it.”Tracey suddenly burst into tears, hiding her face in her hands.“Or not,”Indigo continued hastily,“I mean, if you don’t like it…”

“It’s not that,”Tracey replied,“It’s just…you’re all being so nice to me.And I don’t deserve it.”

April put a consoling arm around her.“Who says you don’t deserve it?Because you got pregnant?You haven’t done anything wrong.”

Tracey wiped a hand across her eyes, brushing away the tears.“This was really nice of you both but…I want to get back to Ben.”She smoothed the dress down.“I’ll just change out of this.”

Romeo and Xavier had unpacked the rug stashed underneath the pram and laid it out in the park.Then they’d both sat down on it, Ben lying on the rug alongside them.Xavier gave him a curious look.“Do you think he’s all right?”

Romeo looked the baby over.“He seems happy enough.”

“It can’t be a bad life,”Xavier mused,“All he needs to do is eat and sleep and watch the Disney Channel.”

“What, you’re saying you wish you were eight weeks old again?”

“Well, things were a lot less complicated then…”

“Yeah but…complication’s good.”Romeo noticed Xavier’s less than convinced look.“Hey, I’m just trying to be reassuring!”He picked Ben up, holding him securely around his waist.“Your Uncle Xavier’s feeling a bit down.Should we try and cheer him up?”He swung Ben towards Xavier in an arc, back and forth.Ben gurgled happily at the movement.

Xavier gave a reluctant smile and squeezed Ben’s hand slightly.“Cheers, little fella.”

Indigo, April and Tracey walked along the path towards them, unnoticed by the boys.“Do you think we should interrupt them?”April asked,“I think they’ve finally found someone of their own mental age.”

“You’re both lucky,”Tracey said quietly,“If Derek had been like them…”

Indigo gave a sympathetic smile and squeezed her hand before raising her voice to address Romeo and Xavier.“Sorry, boys, but you need to pack up your toys.It’s time to go home.”

Romeo, Indigo, Xavier and April headed into the living room, where they found Dexter slumped in front of the set, munching on the contents of a large packet of crisps.Indigo snatched it from him, seeing that the jumbo sized pack was half empty.“Did you eat all these?”

“There’s loads more packs in the cupboard,”Dexter protested.

“It’s Tracey’s food,”April reminded him.

“I’ve a good mind to tell her not to give you anything for lunch,”Indigo scolded.

Dexter pulled a face.“Yes, Mum.Where is Tracey anyway?”

“In the kitchen,”Romeo explained,“Probably looking at all the cupboards you’ve emptied…”

Xavier glanced at the television set, which seemed to be showing some sort of news programme.He half-listened to what the presenter was saying:“After nearly two months, there has still been no trace found of the baby taken from hospital…

He saw the photo that flashed up on the screen and his blood ran cold.“Guys,”he said quietly.

Everyone stared at the screen in horror as the report continued.“Police are still trying to trace 18-year-old Tracey Newman, who disappeared from the hospital around the same time.Medical staff are seriously concerned about Tracey’s physical and mental health…

Huge thanks to everyone for your comments.Bit of a long one for you.Hope you like it.

CHAPTER 13

Indigo and April came hurrying out of the bedroom.“She’s not in there,”Indigo announced.

“Not in the kitchen either,”observed Dexter.

“Or the nursery,”added Romeo.

“Where can she have got to?”Xavier wondered.

“Maybe she could have taken Ben out for a walk?”April suggested.

“Or she could know that we saw the news report,”Dexter pointed out.

There was a pause as they let this sink in.“We’ve got to find her,”Romeo decided.

“Wouldn’t it be better if we called the police?”Dexter asked.

“If we’re right and we call the police on her, she’ll be in big trouble,”April replied,“We need to get her to go to them herself.”

“She can’t have gone far,”Romeo observed,“We’ll search for her for an hour and if none of us have found her by then, we go to the police.Agreed?”

There was a general nod of heads.Indigo led the way out the door.“We’ll go this way,”she decided, taking Romeo’s hand and heading left.

“We’ll go this way,”Xavier agreed as he and April headed right.

Dexter was left standing on his own.“And I’ll make my own way,”he concluded.

“Are you sure about this?”April asked doubtfully.

Xavier paused and thought for a moment.“No,”he admitted,“But it’s the best idea I can come up with.”

“But why the park?”

“I dunno…Ben was happy there.I think she’d want him to be happy.”

As they stepped in through the park gates, April stopped.“There she is.”

Xavier followed her gaze.Tracey was sat on a bench, nursing Ben.“What do we do now?”

“Talk to her, I guess.”April took a deep breath and led the way towards where Tracey was sat.

She looked up as they approached.There was a kind of resigned fear in her eyes, a deep sadness.“You know, don’t you?”

April nodded.“We saw a report on the news that a baby had gone missing from the hospital and you’d gone missing at the same time.Didn’t take a genius.”

Tracey sighed, stroking Ben’s cheek gently.“I just wanted to spend a bit more time with him.Before they make me give him back.”

April sat down next to her.“What happened?”

Tracey seemed to be silent for a long while, as if debating whether to reveal the truth or not.“What I told you was true.I did get pregnant, Derek didn’t want anything to do with it, my parents told me either the baby had to go or I did.And I did get a flat through the council.And then…I lost him.I was six months pregnant and they told me my baby had died.I’d given up everything for him and…and I had no-one.”

“That’s why you were at the hospital?”April asked.

Tracey nodded.“I went for a walk and I heard this baby crying.Ben.He’d been left on his own in one of the other rooms.So I went in and picked him up and then…then I just walked out of there.One of the other girls at the antenatal group had gone away for a few months and left me the keys to her flat to keep an eye on things.So I took him there.I knew it was wrong, I shouldn’t do it, but…”

“You were a parent,”Xavier said quietly.

Tracey looked at him, surprised.“Yes,”she said at last,“From the moment I found out I was pregnant, I was a parent.So…I should have a baby.That’s how it works, isn’t it?”

“You know you have to give him back?”April asked gently,“His mother…she’s a parent too.And she’s missing her baby.”

Tracey nodded.She kissed Ben lightly on the forehead.“I’m going to miss you,”she whispered as tears pour down her cheeks.

April put an arm around her and Tracey rested her head on her shoulder.Xavier placed an awkward hand on Tracey’s shoulder.He hoped she found it comforting.

“What’ll happen to her?”April asked.She, Xavier and Romeo were in the reception area of the police station.

“Difficult to say exactly,”the sergeant replied,“There’ll be a psych assessment.They may well decide to admit her to a clinic for counselling.Either way, it’s unlikely she’ll be doing any jail time, given the circumstances.At most it’s likely to be a suspended sentence.”

“What about Ben?”asked Xavier.

“He’s been taken to the hospital, his parents are with him now.They’re just glad to have him back.We got in touch with Tracey’s parents as well.It seems they regret the way they reacted to her pregnancy.They’ll probably come and visit her once the dust has settled.”

“A happy ending then,”April suggested.

The sergeant looked non-commital.“Maybe.”

Dexter came bustling in through the door.“What have I missed?”

Romeo hesitated for a moment.“We’ll explain later.”

Dexter nodded in acceptance.“Where’s Indi?”

Romeo gestured to the interior door.“She’s with her now.”

Indigo was sat next to Tracey in the interview room, shifting awkwardly in her seat.“Why did you write to me?”she asked at last.

“Because you didn’t know what had happened,”Tracey replied,“And…because I knew you’d help.”

Indigo swallowed hard.“I’m sorry I wasn’t here for it all.I should have stayed in touch better.”

“It’s okay.You’ve got a new life, new friends.They’re good people.”

“Yeah, they are.”Indigo grasped Tracey’s hand tightly.“But I promise I’ll do better this time, okay?We’ll stay in touch, we’ll make sure each other’s okay.Maybe you can even come and stay with us, once, you know, everything’s sorted.”

Tracey gave a smile.Not a beam.A smile that seemed to be just on the line between sadness and happiness. “I’d like that.”

Indigo released the hand and got to her feet.“I’d better get back to the others.But I’ll call you soon, okay?”

“Indi…”Tracey hesitated for a moment before asking.“Can you ask Xavier to come in?”

Xavier hovered awkwardly in the doorway, not sure why he was there or what he was supposed to do.“Indi wanted to see me.”

Tracey nodded.“Can you come over here?”Xavier moved closer and sat down.Tracey took a deep breath. “It happened to you, didn’t it?”

Xavier gave her a long look and then nodded.“Yeah,”he said quietly,“Kind of.”

“What..?”

“There was this girl.Not April.Stuff happened and…she got pregnant.And then she got rid of it.”

Tracey nodded.“It hurts, doesn’t it?”

Xavier looked at her.He’d never spoken like this to anyone but…“I was scared stiff when she told me,”he said at last,“I didn’t know the first thing about being a dad, I didn’t know if I’d be good at, I didn’t know whether I’d let her and the baby down.And I knew it was going to stuff my life up completely, that I’d lose April, that I wouldn’t be able to go to university or get whatever job I want, I haven’t decided what yet. But…I guess I just accepted straightaway that the baby was a fact, that I was gonna be a dad.And then… suddenly, I wasn’t.”

“How did you manage?”

He shrugged.“I had my friends.And April.They kept me sane, let me carry on as normal.I just…did, I guess.”

“You’re lucky.”

“Yeah.”He patted her on the shoulder.“They’re your friends too now, you know?”

She smiled slightly.“Thanks.”

Xavier shifted awkwardly.“Look, the others don’t know about this, apart from Romeo, so…”

“Your secret’s safe with me,”she promised.

Romeo, Dexter and Indigo had gone to check the bus timetables and how much it would be for a cab. Xavier and April were alone in the flat, packing up their things in one of the bedrooms.April was suddenly aware Xavier had stopped and was looking at her.“What?”she asked.

He grinned.“You’re amazing, you know that?”

She smiled back.“Well, yes, I did know that.But thank you for saying so.”

“No, I mean it.The way you were with Tracey.Most people wouldn’t have known how to handle her but you…you got it exactly right.”

“Well, while we’re on the mutual appreciation, you’ve impressed me a bit these past few days as well. Looking after Ben…a lot of boys would have been worried they’d look like wusses or something.”

Xavier shrugged.“Well…everyone knows I’m a wuss anyway, so who cares?”

“True.”She put her arms round his neck.“But fortunately for you, I’ve got a thing for wusses.”She kissed him, softly, gently.They sat down on the bed and she started to unbutton his shirt.

Xavier pulled back slightly.“Woah, hang on…”

She gave him a cheeky grin.“Well, the others won’t be back for hours…”

“I thought we were waiting?”

She shrugged.“We have waited.”

She kissed him again and this time he didn’t pull away, he surrendered to it, starting to carefully undress her.Knowing he was lucky.

Thanks, again, for your comments, everyone.Hope you like this one.

CHAPTER 14

“You two are looking pretty happy,”Xavier noted as Romeo and Indigo made their way through the Diner to the table where he and April were sat.

“We had our last exam today,”Indigo explained.

“Which means we are done with school for good,”Romeo completed.

Xavier’s face fell slightly.“You’re right.That is a reason to be happy.”

Romeo jokingly patted him on the shoulder.“Don’t worry, Xav.You’ve only got another year to go.”

“You could be joining us if you fail everything,”April pointed our cheerily.

“Don’t even joke about it,”Indigo groaned,“I’m expecting to get every question on my Chemistry paper wrong.”

“Well, I reckon a chocolate milkshake should perk you up,”April replied,“Come on, I’ll shout you.”The two girls got up from their seats.April paused by Xavier and kissed him lightly on the lips, letting it linger for several seconds before parting.“See you in a minute.”

Romeo noticed the grin on Xavier’s face and the way he seemed to keep watching April as she and Indigo made their way over to the counter.“So, ah, things are going well for you two then?”he asked.

“Does it show?”Xavier became serious for a moment.“I hope you don’t mind that…”

Romeo shook his head decisively.“Mink’ll do what she wants to, whether you’re with April or not.”

“Have you heard anything from her?”

“Not a word.”

“Are you worried?”

Romeo shrugged.“If I worried about not knowing what Mink was up to, I’d be worried all the time.”

“I guess…I worry sometimes.Just, you know, everything that happened…”He broke off as the two girls came back to the table.He put an arm round April’s waist as she sat down, then turned to the other two.“So, you up for doing something to celebrate tonight?”

Romeo shot a grin at Indigo, who averted her gaze awkwardly.“How can I put this?We had our own plans for celebrating and they didn’t involve anybody else.”

“Ah.Gotcha.”

April grinned at Xavier.“Well, I guess we’ll have to find a way to enjoy ourselves on our own then.”

Xavier and April had headed back to his place.As they headed through into the living room, he spun her round and kissed her.She pulled back from him slightly, a playful smile on her face.“Something I can do for you?”

“Well…you did say we were going to find a way to enjoy ourselves.”

“Careful, I might end up pressganging you into my campaign to save the sabre tooth tiger from extinction.”

Xavier paused, thinking about this.“Aren’t you a few millenia too late?”

“Well, I like the difficult jobs.”

“I’m beginning to feel the same way.”

She cocked an eyebrow slightly.“Would you prefer it if I was easy?”

“If there a safe way to answer that?”

“I don’t know,”she replied lightly,“Maybe you should try and find one.”

He leaned in and kissed her.

She smiled.“Good answer,”she agreed and started to kiss him back.

There was a pointed cough from the front door.“Sorry to interrupt you and everything,”came a familiar voice.

Xavier and April stepped apart and turned round to see her standing there, a sardonic but perhaps slightly awkward look on her face.“Mink?”Xavier asked,“What are you doing here?”

“Figured this town hasn’t had enough of me lately so I might as well pop in and give you all a shock.”

“Does Romeo know you’re back?”

“Not yet.I was on my way round there after this but I thought I’d better drop by and say hello to you first.”

“Why would we be first on your greetings list?”April asked.

“Well…more him than you,”Mink admitted.She pulled her jacket aside and for the first time they noticed the slight but significant curve to her stomach.She rubbed a hand over it, a slight smile spreading across her face.“Figured it was time for this one to meet Daddy.”

Thanks for the comments.This probably isn't the chapter you were expecting but I hope you'll enjoy it all the same...

CHAPTER 15

Four months earlier

Mink paused outside the door to the house, not entirely sure that this was the best thing she could do.She shook her head, dispelling the doubts.It was the only thing she could do.She’d well and truly burnt her bridges in Summer Bay, she had nowhere else to run to.Coming here was her only option.

She knocked on the door.

She heard the footsteps inside, relieved that at least there was no sound of anyone bumping into furniture. Finally the door opened to reveal the familiar figure standing there.She gaped at Mink in astonishment, brushing her hair down nervously.“Mink.Hello.”

Mink didn’t smile.“Hi, Mum.”

Jill had shown Mink into the front room and then busied herself in the kitchen.Mink sat, fiddling with her hands, wondering once again whether she’d made the right decision coming here.She told herself again that it was her only option.Didn’t seem to help.

Jill came back through and set a mug of coffee down in front of her.Mink was relieved to see that at least that was all Jill had in her own hand, rather than something stronger.“So, how have you been keeping?”Jill asked awkwardly as she took her seat.

Mink considered leading up to it but getting down to business seemed like the best option.“I’m pregnant.”

Jill looked even more astonished.“Really?”

“It’s not that ridiculous, Mum.”

“I know but…are you old enough?Am I old enough to be a grandmother?”

“It’s a biological fact so…yeah.”

“Well, I’m glad you felt you could come to me and…”

Mink held up a hand to stop her.“Let’s get one thing straight.If I was after advice on how to be a parent, I wouldn’t come here.I’m here because I can’t go back onto the circuit and I need somewhere to stay.If I had a mate whose couch I could crash on, I would.But I don’t.”

Jill paused, considering this for a moment.“You could have gone to Romeo.”

“I couldn’t.”Mink took a deep breath.“I couldn’t because the father’s his best friend.”

It took Jill a moment to realise who she was referring to.“Xavier?”

“Yeah.”

“Isn’t he, like, twelve?”

“Seventeen,”Mink corrected,“Trust me, I didn’t plan it.”

“Does he know?”

“Sort of.He thinks I’ve had an abortion, so does Romeo.And I’d like it to stay that way if you don’t mind.”

Jill nodded.“Of course.”She took a step forward as Mink got to her feet.“I’ll show you to your room…”

Mink waved her back.“I can find it.”

Two weeks had passed.Mink had barely left the house.In fact, she’d barely left her room.Jill had offered to cook for her a few times but she’d either refused outright or asked to have a tray sent up to her bedroom. Most of the time she’d come down, raided the fridge and cupboards and then headed back upstairs again.

There had been a few times Mink had gone out, for walks.Temptation was to head into the nearest bar but she’d resisted it.One time, she’d taken off in her car, headed to the nearest beach, spent the day sitting there, watching others surf.Experiencing it vicariously.

Jill lay awake, hearing the slamming of doors and footsteps that indicated Mink’s nocturnal movements. Her first thought was that she should just leave her to it, any offer of help or enquiry as to what was up was likely to meet with a curt response.

But Mink was in the bathroom a long time.Long enough for Jill to put those worries aside and get out of bed.

She found Mink crouched on the floor, hunched over the toilet bowl, waiting for the bout of nausea to subside.She looked a wreck, ill, at the end of her tether.

Jill cautiously took the few steps over to her and crouched down, brushing stray strands of hair back from Mink’s face and gently rubbing her back.“It’s okay,”she said quietly in a soothing tone,“It’ll be okay.”

She expected Mink to shake her off, to refuse the help.But she seemed to relax slightly at her mother’s touch.Eventually, the nausea passed.She moved away from the bowl and leaned against the wall, sitting there, mother and daughter staring at each other with uncertainty.

They retired to the front room and Jill made them some hot cocoa.Mink sat nursing her mug, taking occasional sips from it.“Why did you do it?”she asked, after they’d sat in silence for a while.

Jill looked at her, puzzled.“Do what?”

There were so many answers Mink could give to that.In the end she settled for the simplest.“Let us down.”

Jill paused, her eyes downcast slightly.“I’m not like you and Romeo, I’m not strong, I’m not capable.I’m no good on my own.”

“So you let Dad do that to you, to us, simply because you didn’t want to be on your own?”

“I’ve no excuse for you, Mink.It’s just the way it was.”

“And afterwards?When you…when you just left us?”

“You were better off without me.”

“You really think that?I was stuck in jail, thinking no-one cared about me.Romeo was in care, blaming himself for everything.And you were living it up on Dad’s insurance money and having champagne breakfasts.”

“If you’re trying to make me feel guilty, Mink…”

“I’m trying to make you feel sorry!”

“I am.”Jill looked her hard in the eye and there was no doubting her sincerity.“I am sorry.And I want to make it up to you and to Romeo and to the baby.If I can.”

Mink was quiet for a few seconds.Then she nodded.“Good.Because I’m no good on my own either.”

Jill was on the verge of calling out for Mink when she saw the bags sitting in the hallway, which stopped her in her tracks.Over the last few months, since that night time conversation, their relationship seemed to have improved.But now…

Mink came out of the kitchen, stopping when she saw Jill and realised the conclusion she’d drawn.“I wasn’t going to go without telling you,”she said defensively.

“You’re leaving?”The question seemed redundant in the circumstances but Jill asked it anyway.

Mink nodded.“I have to.”

“Is this…because of something I’ve done, have I let you down in some way?”

“No, it’s…it’s because of me.Me and the baby.”Mink touched the bump where her pregnancy was just starting to show.“There’s a couple of people that need to know about it.”

Jill realised what she was talking about.“You mean Romeo and Xavier?”

“Yeah.”

“So…you’re going to Summer Bay?”

Mink shrugged.“It’s where they live.”She picked up the bags and gave Jill a quick hug.“I’ll call you, okay?”

Jill waited until Mink was nearly out the door before asking,“Do you really think they’ll be pleased?”

Mink paused and turned round.“I don’t know,”she admitted,“I guess I’ll have to find out.”

Thanks for the comments, Carina, Chips and Barbara.Hope everyone likes this one, after I kept you waiting for it...

CHAPTER 16

Now

April stared at Mink for a few moments longer before turning to look at Xavier.He was suddenly unable to meet her gaze.“Is she saying what I think she’s saying?”she asked slowly.

Xavier looked up at her, the guilt evident in his face.“April…”

“Is she having your baby?!”April almost screamed the question.

Xavier swallowed hard and then nodded.

“So when did this happen?”Xavier started to stutter a response but April cut him off.“No, I don’t want to know.I don’t want to know about any of this.”There was a look of disgust on her face, which almost managed to conceal the fact she was close to tears.“I can’t be near you right now.”She turned and fled from the house, passing Mink as she did so.

“April, wait!”Xavier ran to the doorway but the sight of her racing down the street, getting as far away from him as possible, convinced him that going after her wouldn’t achieve anything.

Mink was standing alongside him.“Guess she didn’t take it so well, then,”she commented.

Xavier turned on her angrily.“What are you doing here?”

“Figured you might want to know I decided to keep the baby.”

“Yeah, I got that, thanks.”Xavier’s anger abated only slightly.“Why did you do that?”

“Well, when I went through the back at the clinic…”

“I meant why did you do that in front of April?”

Mink stopped for a second, biting her lip, an annoyed look on her face.“She needed to know.Unless you’re planning on denying responsibility…”

“I needed to tell her myself!”Xavier shouted,“I tried to do right by you, you should have done right by me!”He grabbed a jacket from a hook by the door, slinging it over his back as he stormed down the path.

“Where are you going?”Mink called after him.

“Away from you!”he shouted back, as he left her standing there.

“And that’s about the size of it,”Mink concluded.

Miles stared back at her across the table.As was often the case with him, his expression was hard to read. “That’s quite a story,”he said at last.

“So, I mean, if you don’t want me staying here…”

Miles rolled his eyes.“Of course you can stay here.Believe it or not, I’m not in the habit of throwing the pregnant sister of a member of this household out onto the streets.Even when she has just broken the record for annoying half the town in the shortest amount of time.”

Mink looked slightly embarrassed.“It seemed like a good idea at the time.”

“You thought that muscling in on Xavier’s date with his girlfriend to announce you were having his baby seemed like a good idea?”

“She wasn’t meant to be there!”Mink protested,“I just thought I should go round and tell him what was going on.And when I saw her there as well, I thought, might as well kill two birds with one stone…”She noticed his expression, the one that somehow let people know they’d messed up without even a hint of him judging them.“I do things without thinking sometimes, all right?”She rubbed her expanding abdomen. “That’s how this happened.”

“Well…I guess it’s done now,”Miles accepted at last,“Guess you’re just going to have to deal with the consequences when they come along.”

Mink nodded.“So where’s my little brother anyway?I was looking forward to a lecture from him.”

“He’s out with Indigo,”Miles explained,“They just finished their exams, they decided to celebrate.You can sit up and wait for him if you want…”

Mink shook her head.“I’ve crashed enough dates for tonight, I’m going to turn in.Save myself that treat for the morning.”

Xavier hammered hard on the door until Irene opened it.When she saw who it was, she gave him a worried look.“Love, this really isn’t a good idea.”

“I need to see her, Irene.”

“Xavier, she’s been shut away in her room, crying her eyes out, ever since she got home.And while she hasn’t exactly been forthcoming about what’s happened, you turning up here like this kind of suggests to me it’s down to something you’ve done.”

“That’s why I need to see her, to explain…”

“Love, you’re really better off waiting until morning…”

“It’s all right, Irene.”April’s sudden interruption caused them both to turn and see her coming out of her room, wiping her face to get rid of the last of her tears.“I’ll talk to him.”

Irene threw up her hands in surrender.“All right!Let me know when the shouting’s done.”She headed upstairs.

April gave Xavier an unforgiving look.“You’re going to explain to me?”

“It was just the once, I swear,”Xavier insisted,“Just a stupid mistake, I regretted it straightaway.”

“And the baby?”

“She told me…she told me she was getting rid of it.And I didn’t do anything to encourage her, I made it clear that if she went ahead with the pregnancy, I’d help her, I’d be a father to the baby, even though we weren’t together.Because I’m with you, that’s what I want.Please, you have to believe me…”

“I believe you,”April replied simply.

He took a step towards her, getting as close as he could without touching her.“Then..?”

April took a step back.

“Xavier, I’ve spent years watching Bianca go for guys that are no good for her, that are going to cheat on her or let her down.And I swore I’d never be like that, that I’d never let someone treat me like that.And I meant it.”She looked him in the eye.She wasn’t angry or upset.She was sad, if anything.What she said was simply a statement of fact.“I’m sorry, Xavier, but I can’t be with you anymore.It’s over.”

Big thanks for your comments, hope you like this one.

CHAPTER 17

“So, how are you coping with not being at school anymore?”Romeo asked as they headed downstairs.

“Well, it’s only been one night,”Indigo pointed out,“but so far, it’s been pretty good.”

Romeo shot her a wicked grin.“Is that because of the night?”

She gave him a playful punch.“Talk about fishing for a compliment…”

“Guess we’ve got a bit of spare time until exam results come through.”Romeo caught Indigo round the waist as they headed into the front room.“Any ideas how to spend it?”

She smiled as he pulled her towards him and they started kissing, revelling in each other’s touch, their hands playing with each other’s bodies…Then there was a small, feminine cough from the direction of the breakfast table.“I can see you’re having fun,”Mink commented,“But maybe you could wait until I’ve finished my toast?”

Romeo and Indi sprang apart, trying their best to look casual.“So, um, how much of that did you hear?” Romeo asked.

“Not as much as I heard last night.You really need to have a word with Miles about how thin the walls are in this place.”

Indigo looked as though she was about to die of embarrassment.“Sorry if we, you know…”

Mink waved a hand dismissively as she pushed herself to her feet and stepped out from behind the table. “Relax.I know how it works.”

Indigo’s eyes widened as she got her first full length look at Mink and noticed exactly how she’d changed since she last saw her.“So I see.”She turned to Romeo.“Um, I’m going to leave you to handle this one on your own.See you later.”She gave him a quick kiss before making a hurried exit.

Romeo waited until Indigo was out of earshot before turning back to Mink.“Is that..?”

“The same baby as before?Yes.”

“Xavier told me you went through with the abortion.”

“I almost did.”Mink shrugged.“I dunno, call it my sentimental side showing through or maternal instinct or something.”She looked at him hard.“I’m having this baby, Romeo.”

Romeo gave her a long look.“Does Xavier know?”

“I told him last night.”Mink paused before adding, as casually as possible,“I told April too.”

Romeo looked at her, horrified.“What?!Why?”

“It wasn’t planned, she just happened to be there.And Miles has already given me the lecture so…”

“So, what, you’ve come back to town and thrown two of my friends’ lives into chaos straightaway?And I’m supposed to just accept that?”

“Do you want me to go?”

Romeo stopped, looking awkward.“You know I don’t.”

“Good.”Mink looked at him hard.“Then, yeah, you are supposed to just accept that.”

April let out a loud sigh as she heard the insistent knocking on the door.Despite the way they’d left it the previous night, she’d had a feeling that Xavier would be around to have another go before too long.When she opened it, however, it was Indigo who came barrelling past her into the room.“You will not believe who I’ve just seen,”she declared.

April had a strong suspicion she did but decided to let Indigo have her moment of glory.“Who?”

“Mink.Not just Mink but Pregnant Mink.Round at Romeo’s.And I mean, seriously pregnant, like, three months at least.Goodness only knows who the father is…”

“It’s Xavier.”

Indigo stopped in mid flow and stared at her.“Xavier?As in your boyfriend Xavier?”

“As in my ex-boyfriend Xavier, as of last night.”

Indigo looked at her with a mixture of shock and sympathy.She took a step over to her friend, putting her arm around her.“Wow, April, I’m so sorry.Do you know when or what..?”

“Well, I didn’t ask for places, dates and details.”April gave a forced smile.“You know what?I’m over it.I went out with Xavier, he cheated on me, I dumped him.Not like I was planning to marry him or anything.I just…I thought I meant more to him than that.Obviously wrong.”She looked at Indigo’s sympathetic expression and squeezed the other girl’s hand gratefully.“I’ll be all right.”

Xavier looked at the expressions on Gina and John’s faces and shrugged.“Told you to brace yourselves.”

“Mink is pregnant with your child?”Gina managed at last.

Xavier sighed.“Yeah.That pretty much sums it up.”

“I thought it’d be April,”John commented.He gave Xavier a sudden look.“Wait a minute, is this what all those questions about abortions were about a few months ago?”

“What questions?”Gina asked, in a tone which made it clear she wanted an answer sharpish.

“She told me she was having an abortion,”Xavier admitted,“And I didn’t do anything to pressure her into it, I swear, I said that I’d go along with whatever she wanted, that I’d help out if she decided to keep it.I thought she went ahead with it but last night…”

“How does April feel about this?”

“She dumped me.”

Gina sighed.“Oh, Xavier, I’m sorry.”

“Guess it serves me right for being a cheating rat.”

Gina touched his hand gently.“I know she meant a lot to you.”

Xavier nodded.“Yeah, she did.”

“And Mink?”

“Well, I’m not in love with her, I don’t even know why she’s back, what she wants from me.”

“Better find out sharpish, mate,”John advised,“Times like this you need to start taking responsibility for your actions.Otherwise, twenty years from now, you’re gonna have some grown woman walk into your gym and say ‘Hi there, I’m your daughter.’”He noticed the looks Xavier and Gina were giving him and shrugged.“Just talking from my own experiences.”

“I know I’ve got to do something,”Xavier admitted,“But the whole thing-Mink, April, the baby-it’s all such a mess.I don’t know where to start.”

“Well, I think you need to start by talking to her,”Gina suggested.

Xavier nodded in agreement, then stopped and looked at her uncertainly.“Hang on, do you mean April or Mink?”

Mink swung the door open and gave him a cool look.“Something I can do for you?”

Xavier hesitated for a moment.“Can I come in?”

He didn’t think Mink was going to agree at first.But then she stepped aside and allowed him into the house.

Xavier looked around nervously.“Is anyone else here?”

Mink shook her head.“Romeo’s gone for a surf while he gets used to the fact he’s still going to be an uncle.Miles and the others went out to give us some space.”

Xavier paused, considering his next few words.“What do you want me to do?”

Mink seemed to hesitate for a moment.“I don’t want anything from you, Xavier,”she said at last.

Xavier stared at her in astonishment.“Then what did you come back here for?”

“Romeo’s here.And I guess you had the right to know I was still having the baby, I owed you that much.”

“You owe me a lot more than that!”Xavier protested,“You’ve wrecked things between me and April, you’ve turned my life upside down.You can’t just shut me out now, I’ve lost too much because of this!”

“Well, what do you want to do, Xav?”Mink fired back,“You really think you can be a father to this baby? A soppy little kid who’s probably only here ’cos his mum told him to come?What can you offer me?Just go home, Xavier.”

Xavier stood rooted to the spot for a moment, astonished at how things had gone.“This isn’t over, Mink,” he said at last, before he turned and walked out.

Mink watched him go, fighting the urge to start crying as she did so.She wished she could let him in, let him be there for her.But experience had taught her not to rely on other people.She was better off without anyone to let her down.

More thanks for your comments, hope you like this one.

CHAPTER 18

Mink was staring at the television without actually paying much attention to what was on when she heard a light knock on the door.She turned round to see Gina standing there, an expectant look on her face.Mink sighed.“Figured it wouldn’t be too long before you turned up.”She got up, turned the set off and stood facing Gina.“You’d better come in, then.”

Gina took a few steps into the house, fixing Mink with a firm if not exactly unsympathetic gaze.“Xavier told me what you said to him.”Mink didn’t answer and Gina sighed.“You really are your own worst enemy, aren’t you?”

Mink could feel her defences coming up.“Look, Xavier’s a nice boy but that’s just it, he’s a boy.You really think he’s going to be any use to me?”

“I think he might surprise you, if you give him a chance.”

Mink shook her head.“I can’t risk that.”

“Why did you come back here, Mink?”Gina let the question hang in the air for a moment.“I think you came back here because you want Xavier to be there for you and the baby.You’re just not willing to admit it.”

Mink shrugged.“Well, thanks for the psycho-analysis, Geen, but if that’s all…”

Gina crossed the distance between them and took Mink’s hand gently.“Mink, you’re carrying my grandchild.It’s not just Xavier, I want to be there for you both too.”

Slowly Mink’s face twisted into a reluctant smile.“You’re going to have me crying again in a minute.”

“Would that be such a bad thing?”

“Yeah, it really would.”Mink gestured towards the couch and they both sat down.

“Have you any idea what you’re going to do?”Gina asked.

“I don’t know.Not gonna do much surfing for the next few months, there aren’t many pregnant sportspeople out there.Guess if I’m sticking around here I should get a job or something…”

“You could go back to school.”

Mink shook her head.“We’ve been over that before…”

“No-one’s saying you should give up surfing but you’ve got your baby to think about now.Going back to school and getting some qualifications, it’ll give you something to fall back on.”Mink didn’t answer.Which Gina knew was encouraging in itself.“Just give it some thought.”

“Can I come in?”Xavier asked.

April hesitated.“I’m not sure there’s anything left to say.”

“Well…can I come in anyway?”

For a moment, he thought April was going to say no.Then she nodded and stepped aside, letting him into the house.

Once inside, Xavier found his mind had gone blank, all the things he’d planned to say gone out of his head.“I’m sorry,”he said at last,“I’m sorry about everything.”

“I know you are,”April agreed,“But it doesn’t change anything.You still slept with Mink, she’s still having your baby.Everything’s different.And I just can’t trust you not to do it again.”

Xavier took her hands.“April, I love you.”

April looked him in the eye, sad but resolute.“I love you too,”she admitted,“That’s the worst thing.You let me fall in love with you, you let me sleep with you.Even after what you’d done.I wish things could be different and we could just go back a few weeks or months and none of this would’ve happened.But we can’t.It’s over.”

Xavier nodded, accepting her words.“Can…can we at least be friends?”

“I don’t know.Give me time.”

Xavier was surprised to find Mink sitting outside when he got home.“You still want to talk?”she asked.

He nodded.“You could have waited inside, you know.”

Mink followed him into the house.“Well, yeah, I guess I am pretty much one of the family now.”She noticed Xavier’s shocked expression and grinned.“Joke, Xavier.Lighten up, will you?”

Xavier sank into the sofa.“Bit hard when my girlfriend doesn’t want to speak with me and I never know whether you’re gonna be Doctor Jekyll or…Miss Hyde.”

Mink sat down next to him and rubbed his shoulder gently.“Yeah, I know I’ve been sending out a few mixed signals lately.It’s just the way I am, mixed up.Half the time even I don’t know what I want.”

“So, what’s your more pleasant side thinking at the moment?”

Mink sighed.“That this baby’s probably going to be better off if it’s got the two of us to rely on.Even if one of us is pretty unreliable.”

Xavier shot her a curious look.“Are you talking about me or you?”

“Don’t know.Haven’t decided which of us is worst yet.Look, this is going to be a lot easier if the two of us can get on, if we can be friends.Do you think we can manage that?”

Xavier shrugged.“Guess we could give it a try.”

“Good.’Cos that’s gonna make things a lot easier, what with us being classmates an’ all.”

Xavier looked at her, perplexed.“What?”

“Yeah, your mum came round and had a chat to me earlier, that’s the other reason I came round here.I’m gonna be in Year 12 with you next year!”

Xavier looked dubious.“You?At school?”

Mink shrugged.“Guess we’ll have to see how it works out.”

Wow, all that time with hardly any comments and suddenly I get three in as many hours.Thank you, Chips, Barbara, Carina and ashleyjane.Hope everyone likes this one.

CHAPTER 19

Xavier and Romeo were standing in the living room of the caravan park house, anticipating what was to come with a mixture of nervousness and amusement.“So how upset is she about having to do this?”Xavier asked.

“About what you’d expect,”Romeo answered.

“That bad, huh?”

Romeo nodded.“Seriously, though, mate, I do appreciate you looking out for her.I mean, I know she can be hard work at times…”

“Yeah, I know but…I like her, most of the time, and I guess I…I dunno…”Xavier trailed off, embarrassed.

“I know what you mean,”Romeo agreed,“She acts all hard but underneath it all, she kind of needs a lot of looking after.”

They were halted by the sound of footsteps on the stairs and quickly lapsed into silence.Mink came into the room dressed in a Summer Bay High school uniform:checked dress, knee length socks, sensible shoes. She glared at them both.“If either of you dare laugh…”

“No, no,”Xavier replied, trying to stop smirking,“It’s just…I don’t think I’ve ever seen you looking like a girl before.”

“Excuse me?If you didn’t think I looked like a girl, how did I end up with this?”She patted her pregnancy bump pointedly.

“Yeah, I know, but…You look like a girlie girl.”

Mink rolled her eyes.“Great.Thank goodness I’ll be too big to fit into it in a month or two.”She glared at Romeo.“And how come my little brother’s left school and I haven’t?”

“Hey, if you’d done all this last year, you’d be on the home stretch too,”Romeo reminded her.He checked his watch.“Speaking of which, I’ve got to catch the bus to uni.See you later, kids!”

Xavier watched his friend’s lightning exit before turning back to Mink.“Shall we go then?”

Mink sighed.“Okay, let’s get it over with.At least with you walking me in, the kids will laugh at both of us.”

Xavier was filling his locker, Mink standing at his side, and shooting occasional glances across the hallway. April was stood in front of her own locker, chatting away to Dexter.Xavier hadn’t seen much of her in the last month or two, since they broke up.Last time he’d seen her, she was still moping about it.Now, she most definitely wasn’t.Both her and Dexter had smiles on their faces.

“Didn’t know those two were close,”Mink commented, echoing Xavier’s own thoughts.

“They’re just friends,”Xavier insisted, ignoring the way the pair seemed to be holding hands.

Which was when Dexter kissed her.Not a friendly peck on the cheek but the way he used to kiss her.“You sure?”Mink quipped.

It was enough to have Xavier storming across the corridor.“Hey, get off her!”he shouted, grabbing hold of Dexter and delivering a punch to his jaw.

Dexter sat down heavily in the middle of the corridor, shaking his head slightly to clear the after effects. “Always got to watch out for the exes,”he sighed.

April pushed Xavier away angrily.“What the hell do you think you’re doing?”

“What the hell am I doing?”Xavier repeated,“What the hell are you doing?”He glared at Dexter, who had struggled to his feet.“Just keep your hands off my girlfriend!”

Dexter placed his hands softly on April’s shoulders.“I hate to be the one that points out this small detail but…”

“I’m not your girlfriend!”April snapped.

“What she said,”Dexter agreed.

April nodded over to Mink, who was watching the confrontation with uncharacteristic silence.“She’s the one you got pregnant, maybe you should worry about her.Because I’m not anything to do with you anymore.”

Xavier didn’t have anything to say to that.He hefted his bag and stormed off down the corridor, alone.

Romeo found Mink sat at the table when he got home.“How was your first day at school?”he asked.

Mink sighed, gesturing to the books laid out in front of her.“Homework.”

“Yeah, I’ve got some too.”

“Seriously though.Homework.I mean, I don’t do homework.I don’t have babies and I don’t do homework. Oh yeah, and Xavier punched Dexter.”

Romeo had been rooting in the fridge for a drink but the comment made him stop and put his head round the corner.“Because of you?”

“Because of April.”

“Ah.”

Mink looked at him accusingly.“You knew?”

“I’m dating his sister, of course I knew.”Romeo shrugged.“They asked me not to say anything.”

“Thanks for that.”Mink paused, her expression becoming contrite.“He really likes her, doesn’t he?”

“Dexter?”

“Xavier.”

Romeo nodded.“Yeah, I think he did.But…you know, it’s over…”

“Because of me.”Mink sighed.“I have seriously messed up his life, haven’t I?Maybe I should just go away again and let them sort it out…”

Romeo crouched down by her and put his arm round her.“Now, look…I’m glad you’re back.And I think, in a way, Xavier’s glad you’re back.Can you…can you just stick around and face this one out?It’ll get better, okay?”

Mink gave a reluctant smile.“Okay.”She gestured to her books.“Homework?”

Romeo shook his head, straightening up and taking a large swig of orange juice from a bottle.“You’re on your own there, sis.”

I was gonna make a comment about this forum exploding with new fictions now the show's off air in Australia(most of them involving characters and situations us UK pace fans haven't seen yet...)and this one sliding down to the second page quickly.Then I got another comment and it ended up at the top again!So, thanks for those, ashleyjane and Chips.Hope everyone likes this chapter.

CHAPTER 20

Mink walked into the house and saw Xavier sat at the table, pouring over the same books she’d been studying a few hours earlier.She reached over his shoulder and slammed it shut.“We’re going out.”

Xavier turned and looked at her.“So, you’ve got past the ‘waiting until you’re invited in’ stage?”

“Damn right.You, my friend, need cheering up and I’m the girl to do that.”

“Does it involve starting a brawl?”

Mink sighed and sat down in the seat next to him.“Xavier…I’m trying to apologise.”

“Oh.Sorry, I didn’t recognise it.”He thought for a moment and then asked,“What for?”

“For April.”She saw the awkward look in his eyes.She felt awkward herself but she’d started it.“I get that you liked her and now you’re in a foul mood because of her dumping you and that only happened because of me coming back here so…I’m trying to apologise.”

Xavier nodded slowly.“Well, I guess it was kinda my fault as well.”

“Maybe you need to apologise to me then,”Mink suggested.

Xavier looked confused.“What for?”

“I’ll think of something.”She got up and pulled him to his feet.“Most important thing, we go out, we have fun, we forget about our troubles, we don’t get into a fight and we don’t get anyone pregnant.”

Xavier gave a resigned nod.Sometimes arguing with Mink was a bit like fighting against a hurricane.“So, what did you have in mind?”

“Fish and chips?”Xavier shot Mink a quizzical look as they sat on the pier, munching away at the newly bought food.

Mink shrugged.“It’s safe, it’s cheap and hey-”She put on an attempt at a cheery smile that didn’t convince for a second-“it’s fun!”

Xavier couldn’t help smiling himself.“Okay, I guess it is good to get out of the house for a bit.”He glanced at her meal of less than healthy food.“Are you sure you should be eating that?”

“I’m pregnant, Xavier.I’m not on a diet.”

“Okay but if our baby gets born with greasy hair…”

Mink stopped eating and stared at him.“That sounds really weird.”

“What does?”

“Our baby.”

“Didn’t we already know that?”

“Yeah, we knew that but…think about it.Our baby.”Mink stared at him pointedly.“You and me, having a baby together.”

Xavier paused, picturing it.“You’re right, that is weird.I guess…”

“Haven’t really stopped and thought about the reality yet, have we?”

Xavier nodded.“We’ll work it out.Somehow.”He got to his feet.“Come on, I’ll walk you home.”

Mink gave an amused smile.“What, you think you’ve got to look after me?”

“You, our baby…Someone.”

Mink’s amused look didn’t change but she got to her feet and took Xavier’s arm.“Okay, Daddy.Let’s go.”

They stopped just inside the house, neither entirely sure what happened next.“Well, you’re home,”Xavier said at last.

Mink looked around, as though she’d only just realised that.“So I am.”

“And I’ve got that homework to do, so…I’d better get going.”Xavier took a step back towards the door.

“Xavier…wait.”Mink mirrored his step until she was standing in front of him again.Then she gently kissed him on the lips, quickly becoming more passionate.He responded to the kiss, the two of them starting to caress each other’s bodies, tearing at each other’s clothes.

Xavier pulled back.“Hang on, I thought we said we weren’t going to do this…”

“We said we weren’t going to get anyone pregnant.”Mink rained further kisses down on him.“I’m already pregnant…can’t really do any more damage.”

“Good point.”Xavier surrendered to the kiss as they headed upstairs.

Mink pulled her top back into place.Xavier was behind her and seemed to be taking a lot longer than her to get dressed.“Guess this was a bit unexpected, hey?”he remarked nervously.When she didn’t respond, he walked up behind her, putting his hands on her shoulders and gently kissing the back of her neck.

Mink stepped away from him.“You’d better get going if you’re going to do your homework.”

He stared at her, dumbfounded.“I thought…”

Mink turned to face him for the first time.“Don’t do this, Xav, all right?We had sex.I wanted some and I figure you owed me after knocking me up.”

“And…that’s all it was?”

She looked at him challengingly.“What else were you expecting?”

“Nothing, I guess.”He hastily gathered up his remaining clothes.“See you around,”he mumbled as he headed out.

Mink waited until she was sure he was gone and then sank onto the bed, burying her face in her pillow, tears rolling down her cheeks.

Archived