Bobby Simpson - Nicolle Dickson

18 minutes ago, Summer's Bay said:

That is my point. She could've left with Frank and still had that door open to return for short stints. I'll never understand why she wanted the door permanently closed.

Maybe she wanted to move on and having the option in the background made it harder to make a clean break. With Bobby dead there is no temptation to go back. But then when they asked her to do the fridge thing, life things had changed so it worked for her.

I suspect that for some of the teen stars of the show, it is a difficult time on a personal level. Once that contract is complete - they want actually more need to put that experience behind them. If their time has been negative, having their character die is great because then they can't come back.

7 hours ago, harrietjames said:

Maybe she wanted to move on and having the option in the background made it harder to make a clean break. With Bobby dead there is no temptation to go back. But then when they asked her to do the fridge thing, life things had changed so it worked for her.

I suspect that for some of the teen stars of the show, it is a difficult time on a personal level. Once that contract is complete - they want actually more need to put that experience behind them. If their time has been negative, having their character die is great because then they can't come back.

Maybe she wanted to move on and having the option in the background made it harder to make a clean break.

Clean break only to return shortly after? It's just odd to me but oh well. 

If their time has been negative, having their character die is great because then they can't come back.

Even though the character is not dead, I think this is the reason why Justine Clarke didn't reprise her role as Roo. I don't know the reasons she gave for leaving but I'm inclined to believe that even with the different direction her character took, the backlash of her earlier storyline still haunted her.

Alex and Nicolle have both said the magnitude of their fame at a young age really affected them, one of the reasons Alex left so I can respect that Nicolle wanted to leave and be "normal" again for a while and with her popularity, I'm sure the producers would've been ok with her being written out to return. However I have said many times that I feel this was definitely a case of life imitating art.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, harrietjames said:

Personal circumstances change. Or don't go as expected.

I can respect that Nicolle wanted to leave and be "normal" again for a while and with her popularity, I'm sure the producers would've been ok with her being written out to return. However I have said many times that I feel this was definitely a case of life imitating art.

I don't think I Can ever be convinced that Bobby stopped loving Frank and I don't believe he stopped loving her either. 

Edited by Summer's Bay
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 13/12/2017 at 01:19, Summer's Bay said:

Does anybody know know where the pic below is from?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRQv3S4NWwmPvvcDnazzw6

This was from Nicolle's guest appearance in GP back in 1995. She actually appeared in two eps as a tough teenager (Nicolle was 26 by this point!). Aussies on the forum will know more about it but GP looks a bit like the Doctors of today shown here in the UK.

Nicolle looks much better with long, naturally coloured hair (hated that awful blonde do she had in her final year as Bob)! She must have worn a wig for the ghost episode (where her hair looks a lot like Bobby's early 1990 style), as in all pics I've seen of her from 1994 - 96 she has very long hair!

• Like 1

On 20/12/2017 at 15:21, Summer's Bay said:

I mentioned it in the other thread but did anybody else notice that Nicolle's voice changed? In 1992 her voice was softer, pretty much like how she speaks in real life however in 1992 it was far far different. 

No, never perceived a sudden change in 92 but can see a slight (but gradual) difference over her tenure. Nicolle was 18 when she started and 24 when she finished. Women's voices do "mature" a little during their late teens - mid 20s, so I'm guessing that was probably it (e.g. Isla's also changed a lot between 94 and 97). 

Her line delivery did change a lot though (probably to reflect Bobby's maturing character development). In 1988 - mid 89, when Bobby's a much angrier character, she has a tone of aggression when needed (especially in emotionally charged scenes, like finding out Don was her Dad, threatening Roo, etc). This phased out but would still appear at full force in context (like when she says to Fiona "you'd better get out of here before I do something I'll regret"); one of the many ways Bobby stayed very consistent (whilst changing a LOT).

What I have noticed is how different Nicolle sounds in more recent interviews compared to Bobby. Her voice is far huskier and her accent even sounds very different (pronouncing her Rs at the end of words, very unusual in Australian English). Apparently she smokes, so this could be the reason why. 

• Like 1

On January 24, 2018 at 06:04, nenehcherry2 said:

No, never perceived a sudden change in 92 but can see a slight (but gradual) difference over her tenure. Nicolle was 18 when she started and 24 when she finished. Women's voices do "mature" a little during their late teens - mid 20s, so I'm guessing that was probably it (e.g. Isla's also changed a lot between 94 and 97). 

Her line delivery did change a lot though (probably to reflect Bobby's maturing character development). In 1988 - mid 89, when Bobby's a much angrier character, she has a tone of aggression when needed (especially in emotionally charged scenes, like finding out Don was her Dad, threatening Roo, etc). This phased out but would still appear at full force in context (like when she says to Fiona "you'd better get out of here before I do something I'll regret"); one of the many ways Bobby stayed very consistent (whilst changing a LOT).

What I have noticed is how different Nicolle sounds in more recent interviews compared to Bobby. Her voice is far huskier and her accent even sounds very different (pronouncing her Rs at the end of words, very unusual in Australian English). Apparently she smokes, so this could be the reason why. 

"What I have noticed is how different Nicolle sounds in more recent interviews compared to Bobby. Her voice is far huskier and her accent even sounds very different"

Interesting, I haven't seen any recent interviews however, I want to say 2006/2007 when she was interviewed about  Bobby/Frank, her voice sounded much softer like it did during the episodes when Frank returned.

• Like 1