7TWO Transmission Discussion

Old H&A Fan

18 minutes ago, Bobby Forever Missed said:

when they repeated 1988- now how did they not ensure the entire catalogue of analog episodes were digitised? do they not have people that do that for them?

I imagine they wouldn't digitise them unless they intend on using them. Perhaps they didn't realise they weren't already digitised or there was some delay in getting them digitised for some reason...? I don't know much about this kind of thing so it's all guess-work on my part I'm afraid.

• Replies 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Skylover said:

I imagine they wouldn't digitise them unless they intend on using them. Perhaps they didn't realise they weren't already digitised or there was some delay in getting them digitised for some reason...? I don't know much about this kind of thing so it's all guess-work on my part I'm afraid.

i also wonder if they're stopping the repeats altogether because late 1996/97 saw a drop in the ratings originally

10 minutes ago, Bobby Forever Missed said:

i also wonder if they're stopping the repeats altogether because late 1996/97 saw a drop in the ratings originally

I wouldn't have thought so. Lets face it anyone watching the repeats is either a hardcore fan or a 90s fan so people aren't going to stop watching just because the show has reached 1996. Anyway, from what I've seen 1996 has been absolutely fantastic and just as good as 1994 and 1995 so perhaps it would be different second time round. I fully intend to continue watching the early years if they carry on, even if they reach modern day

1 minute ago, Skylover said:

I wouldn't have thought so. Lets face it anyone watching the repeats is either a hardcore fan or a 90s fan so people aren't going to stop watching just because the show has reached 1996. Anyway, from what I've seen 1996 has been absolutely fantastic and just as good as 1994 and 1995 so perhaps it would be different second time round. I fully intend to continue watching the early years if they carry on, even if they reach modern day

if the early years do stop i'm just glad we got the first 7 1/2 years

57 minutes ago, Bobby Forever Missed said:

if the early years do stop i'm just glad we got the first 7 1/2 years

I will be eternally grateful for the years that 7 have shown but I don't think we should let it stop without a fight.

Well, at least some of the episodes from that era have been shown on Channel 5 in recent years: They showed two episodes from each of the first twenty-five seasons with a third available online (except 1988 where they just showed the pilot) in 2012(?), then in, I think, 2015 they showed a bunch of episodes showcasing actors who've gone on to Hollywood, including a week of Isla Fisher episodes (two of which haven't been shown on 7Two yet), a week of Ryan Kwanten, an episode with Heath Ledger and Melissa George's last episode. So the technology to broadcast them would appear to exist.

1 hour ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

Well, at least some of the episodes from that era have been shown on Channel 5 in recent years: They showed two episodes from each of the first twenty-five seasons with a third available online (except 1988 where they just showed the pilot) in 2012(?), then in, I think, 2015 they showed a bunch of episodes showcasing actors who've gone on to Hollywood, including a week of Isla Fisher episodes (two of which haven't been shown on 7Two yet), a week of Ryan Kwanten, an episode with Heath Ledger and Melissa George's last episode. So the technology to broadcast them would appear to exist.

I'm guessing it's different broadcasting all of the episodes rather than just a select few that C5 have requested?? I don't know, maybe I'm thinking too much into it but I'd like to think there's a reason they have taken them off but maybe I wouldn't like the real reason :lol: 

I know absolutely nothing about the subject but I would imagine that converting an analogue tape to a digital file would be a fairly simple job that anyone with the vaguest familiarity of the equipment could do. They've obviously done whatever needs to be done for the episodes Channel 5 have broadcast: I accept that the 7Two showings would require it to be done in much greater quantity but at most it'd be a question of man hours rather than the job being particularly difficult?

If it is a case of digitising (which I don't believe it is) then why is it an issue all of a sudden? They were able to "keep up" beforehand with no issues. Not to mention that 7TWO is full of 30 and 40 year old programs that require the same treatment. It could be any number of things. Legal clearance, copyright issues, no work experience kid to "press play".

Also, Million Dollar Minute is season 2, which has already aired so it is not to do with people's winnings.

Maybe the digitising machinery, having digitised 1880 episodes of Home And Away over the past 7 years, needs some maintenance but I must emphasise this is only pure speculation and guesswork.

Who knows how far ahead this work is done.

Archived