Ray Meagher Linked To Facebook Rape Row

Guest Mishyy

That was more an aside point about how we all have specifics that we don't find funny, and whilst I'm guessing there's certain things that are specifically banned because they're not wanted here (probably like jokes on rape) because it is a private board and so some control over what can be discussed can be maintained, we've all got things that others might find funny that are very painful to someone else.

But I disagree that there's nothing sacred that shouldn't be joked about, otherwise we'd end up with nothing to joke about.

I remember a few years ago posting my not complimentary views on Glasgow (it's a city on Scotland) and a member of the forum from Glasgow wanted me to apologise or otherwise I should step down from my role as a contributor as I was obviously prejudiced against Glaswegians. We seem to be generally moving closer and closer to a society that bans any view that might anyone.

I agree in that I didn't find it particularly funny, I'm in disagreement that you shouldn't be allowed to joke about it.

I disagree with you. To make jokes about such things as Sexual Abuse, Sexual Assault and Rape is in itself abusive. Do these individuals not realise that it devalues them as a person and people as a whole? Do they not have the intelligence to come up with something "funny" without resorting to something designed to shock? And quite frankly the very last thing anyone who has been through that experience wants are people making fun of it. Making it seem like a trivial thing when in actuality it is the worst experience anyone can go through.

Yeah, maybe they should be allowed to make a joke about Rape. But maybe you should stop and think about what society has become to allow something like this to be deemed as funny or even acceptable.

I agree with a lot in your post, that it's not especially clever and that these clips weren't particularly funny, and if I was acquaintances with someone who joked about it constantly, I would certainly begin to feel uneasy, and that rape probably isn't pleasant and that it can be disheartening to hear someone joking about it . I agree with all that.

However, despite all I'm saying above agreeing with what you said about it rape itself, taking literally "some things shouldn't be joked about" as a whole, I disagree. If someone wishes to joke about it, they should be free to do. How their relationships evolve after they've done so will tell them whether it was the right time, right place, right people.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^

How can joking about Rape ever be acceptable in any place or any time or by anybody?

Rape is about violence and degradation. It is about humiliation. It is about devaluing another human being and reducing them to nothingness. While you insist that this is about someones freedom to make a joke think seriously what you are allowing.

Should they also be allowed to joke about killing? About child abuse? And by your argument the answer will be yes but where does that stop? Who draws the line and says, “hey you know that isn’t actually funny.”

And don’t you think that the more people joke about rape and other (similar) crimes it actually becomes easier as a society to accept that such crimes occur and shrug them off as opposed to thinking how horrifying it is and somehow making them acceptable.

My nephew called me a b*tch some weeks back and he was “only joking” but seriously he’s only 9 years old and already he’s learning to devalue woman and categorise them because of comedians, and the like, who believe it is acceptable to behave in this way.

How can joking about Rape ever be acceptable in any place or any time or by anybody?

Should they also be allowed to joke about killing? About child abuse? And by your argument the answer will be yes but where does that stop? Who draws the line and says, “hey you know that isn’t actually funny.”

And don’t you think that the more people joke about rape and other (similar) crimes it actually becomes easier as a society to accept that such crimes occur and shrug them off as opposed to thinking how horrifying it is and somehow making them acceptable.

My answer would be yes, people should be allowed to joke about what they wish. They should be free to make that action, but they should also be prepared if they sail that close to the wind for, perhaps, a negative reaction. I believe everything should be free for everyone to make their own personal interpretation on the situation.

Most people think rape is abhorrent and won't touch it with a barge pole, some will perhaps joke about as a defence mechansim, some will joke about just because they want to shock, I guess in the style of these clips.

I guess turning back the point you make in your second paragraph "Who also decides what's funny?". Oh, can you joke about a broken leg, but not about cancer?

On the last point there, I don't know. The fact is the vast majority of the population don't find rape acceptable, but I don't think forcing censorship of thought upon those who don't agree is the way to go. You're always going to have a minority, however small, that thinks it will be acceptable. Do I think that joking about rape is going to result is going to cause an increase in rapes? No. Do I think banning joking about rape is going to result in a decrease in rapes? No

(I do understand that the "forcing something upon someone" has a slight double meaning in a conversation about rape, but note that I'm not saying rape is acceptable)

My answer would be yes, people should be allowed to joke about what they wish. They should be free to make that action, but they should also be prepared if they sail that close to the wind for, perhaps, a negative reaction. I believe everything should be free for everyone to make their own personal interpretation on the situation.

Most people think rape is abhorrent and won't touch it with a barge pole, some will perhaps joke about as a defence mechansim, some will joke about just because they want to shock, I guess in the style of these clips.

I guess turning back the point you make in your second paragraph "Who also decides what's funny?". Oh, can you joke about a broken leg, but not about cancer?

On the last point there, I don't know. The fact is the vast majority of the population don't find rape acceptable, but I don't think forcing censorship of thought upon those who don't agree is the way to go. You're always going to have a minority, however small, that thinks it will be acceptable. Do I think that joking about rape is going to result is going to cause an increase in rapes? No. Do I think banning joking about rape is going to result in a decrease in rapes? No

(I do understand that the "forcing something upon someone" has a slight double meaning in a conversation about rape, but note that I'm not saying rape is acceptable)

Again, you have come back with the same argument. Your feeling that it is all right to joke about Rape.

Who decided that Rape was funny? No-one who has even been through a traumatic experience like that I’m sure. And yes, some people do joke about cancer, and what gives people the right to do that? Well I suppose the acceptability is in the fact they have lived through it.

It’s not about censorship. I don’t advocate the banning of jokes I advocate that the subject of the jokes should be more thought out than using a sensationalist subject to provoke a quasi-humorous response. What can be funny about the de-valuation of another human being? What intelligence level do these people have that they can sit there and believe “joking” about something like this is funny? Oh, that must be in the response from people who can dismiss it as something common place when it should shock and it should be disgusting and abhorrent as the act itself.

You defend their right to joke about this but what about my rights not to have this in my face? Not to feel devalued as a person because some person has deemed this behaviour tolerable.

My final point. A school dance in America. A girl was repeatedly gang raped. Some people watched. Some people filmed it and posted it online and there were lots of jokes about it. No-one who was there called the police and reported it or stopped it. What was the reason do you suppose? They accepted that it was ok to do that. and just maybe if someone decided that it wasn't ok maybe that girl wouldn't have gone through such an ordeal.

Again, you have come back with the same argument. Your feeling that it is all right to joke about Rape.

I wouldn't personally joke about rape but because I wouldn't doesn't I'm going to stop everyone else doing so. If that means I think joking about rape is acceptable in the eyes of some members here, I'd rather stick to my principles and views than change them over what others may think of me.

It’s not about censorship. I don’t advocate the banning of jokes I advocate that the subject of the jokes should be more thought out than using a sensationalist subject to provoke a quasi-humorous response. What can be funny about the de-valuation of another human being? What intelligence level do these people have that they can sit there and believe “joking” about something like this is funny? Oh, that must be in the response from people who can dismiss it as something common place when it should shock and it should be disgusting and abhorrent as the act itself.

I just don't believe you can have certain subjects where you can't have an opposing view and that a certain angle should be banned. See, I share some of the sentiments you express here. I didn't think it was high-intelligence comedy, I didn't find it funny.

You defend their right to joke about this but what about my rights not to have this in my face? Not to feel devalued as a person because some person has deemed this behaviour tolerable.

But my response to something I don't find humorous or find abhorrent is to go find something I find more humorous or less abhorrent. If they are a workmate I may tell them did that I didn't find it particularly funny and I might tell them that I would prefer they didn't use such language around me and hope that once I've told them once, I won't need to again.

I go back to my first post in Page 1 of this thread from my basic knowledge of Words of Wisdom:

I may not agree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it?

Like you say though, I think we could go at this for weeks and neither of us will probably other make the other change their mind, so perhaps it's best if we shake hands and agree to disagree before we drive the rest of the forum up the wall.

I don't really understand why Ray was chosen to be linked to it - think I'm missing something but it all sounds absolutely horrible.

I'm on the side that some things just shouldn't be joked about. I'm aware that people do joke about them. I'm aware that nothing can be done to stop those people. But I don't find them funny.

A friend told me a rape joke before, and I'm ashamed to say I falsely laughed it off as I didn't know how else to respond.

Looking back, it's a regret I have, and will have forever. Which may seem extreme to some of you, but whether or not people have been raped ,there's nothing remotely humourous about the situation.

• 4 months later...

Archived