Jump to content

Pippa Fletcher/Ross - Vanessa Downing & Debra Lawrance


Recommended Posts

In 2009 I think they should have made her a guest role as Pippa could have stayed longer to look after the Campbell’s while Irene was in jail and then help  Irene after she got out of prison not to fall back into drinking . 

But unfortunately Debra might not have been able to do a long guest role otherwise if Debra was able to stick around longer I think they would have had Pippa back for longer guest runs like Morag . 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, j.laur5 said:

In 2009 I think they should have made her a guest role as Pippa could have stayed longer to look after the Campbell’s while Irene was in jail and then help  Irene after she got out of prison not to fall back into drinking . 

But unfortunately Debra might not have been able to do a long guest role otherwise if Debra was able to stick around longer I think they would have had Pippa back for longer guest runs like Morag . 

 

Agreed. Pippa should have been a reccuring charecter in 2009 to support Irene and the Campbell's. I'm surprised that Debra Lawrence has not returned since. I think it would have been nice for her to appear in 2013 when Sally returned to the bay. Pippa should have at least popped in and out of the bay every few years just like Morag did, considering Lawrence disagrees with the shows drama.

Although this may be an unpopular opinion I think that Vanessa Downing should make periodic returns as Pippa. I think this should only be done as a last resort if Debra doesn't want to ever return to the bay though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, EndlessSummer said:

 

Agreed. Pippa should have been a reccuring charecter in 2009 to support Irene and the Campbell's. I'm surprised that Debra Lawrence has not returned since. I think it would have been nice for her to appear in 2013 when Sally returned to the bay. Pippa should have at least popped in and out of the bay every few years just like Morag did, considering Lawrence disagrees with the shows drama.

Although this may be an unpopular opinion I think that Vanessa Downing should make periodic returns as Pippa. I think this should only be done as a last resort if Debra doesn't want to ever return to the bay though.

Debra never said she disagrees with the show's drama  and she said that she completely understands why the show has become more dramatic. She just said she misses family issues storyline’s. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Pippa was a lot more feisty in Debra Lawrence days in my option.  She and Micheal used to quite often bad mouth Alf and were more often harsh on kids.

But I think the problem was we got to used to Pippa we sure in her guest appearances from 2000-2009 and we just forgot that Pippa could be just as blunt as other parent characters after we watch her episodes as regular again on 7two.

I did think it was very well written when we saw  Pippa being fed up with Summer Bay life and in fact I dont think we ever  had character who seemed that fed up with Summer Bay and i think what made so well written was we could understand why Pippa had enough and although episode  of Pippa exit its self was awfully written.   

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

It's a shame Vanessa Downing never had a proper interview on her views on H&A, the reasons for leaving, her feeling on being recast after and if she ever was sorry she didn't stay longer. . 

But when Vanessa has done interviews with reunions with the original cast on TV show where they are now and did interview in new idea with Debra she was not asked any questions on Subject.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 04/05/2020 at 21:28, j.laur5 said:

It's a shame Vanessa Downing never had a proper interview on her views on H&A, the reasons for leaving, her feeling on being recast after and if she ever was sorry she didn't stay longer. . 

But when Vanessa has done interviews with reunions with the original cast on TV show where they are now and did interview in new idea with Debra she was not asked any questions on Subject.

Im sure you know that that rumour has always been she left because Roger left which has never been confirmed. It would be nice if she addressed it and got the proper recognition for brining the character to life.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is odd that both Roger and Vanessa left and we never heard why. Unless of course the interviews they did at the time were printed in magazines which are now lost in the mist of time. Usually when somebody leaves H&A we know whether they are going of their own accord or have been axed. It's not beyond the bounds of possibility that on the rare occasions they've given interviews about H&A, they've chosen not to answer questions about it. These are Hello magazine style puff pieces they're doing anyway so there isn't going to be any journalist asking questions. We are talking about events that occurred 30 years ago too, which won't be of any interest to anybody apart from people in their 40s and upwards. 

My guess is that both Vanessa and Debra see their time on Home and Away as jobs they had many years ago. Acting is one of the few professions where people continue to be asked about work they did 20 or 30 years ago. Do many of us really want to go back to a job we had 10, 15, 20 years ago? Both actresses would probably rather talk about what they're doing now. I doubt coming back to Home and Away would suit either actress, even if there was a reason for them to return. Vanessa is now a solicitor who mostly seems to do theatre work now. Home and Away might not suit her schedule now. It makes even less sense for Debra because she lives and works in Melbourne. That Harry Potter play she's in is going to run for quite a while yet and it probably suits her down to the ground to have that steady job and to sleep in her own bed at night. Anyway, both actresses are now in their 60s and might as well be the grandparents of half the cast.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Both Vanessa and Debra did interviews a couple of years ago in New Idea around 30th anniversary and both said they have fond memory  of show and both have soft spot for Kate Richie.  

Given Vanessa has done couple reunions with original cast on tv show where they are now ten years ago and New Idea it sounds like Vanessa still holds something to H&A and  Pippa.

When comes to acting on TV show and even more so on  iconic show that makes you look more fondly to talk about it due to it making you Household name as i say thats what both actress are most know for. 

Debra said that she would return as guest but not as regular due to living in Melbourne but sadly theres not really lot reason for Pippa to return as  most her returns involved Sally. 

Just like to add Debra said she misses more family stories but she never said she was against more dramatic stories and she understands   why show needed to become more dramatic as no one wants to watch anything too simple at 7 pm anymore.

But if they were to bring Pippa back in show it  no doubt be Debra they asked and  fair enough to given she hold role for much longer and its like if they bought back Hayley it be no doubt be Bec that would return and if they bought Alisa back  in some way it no doubt be Judy playing her and only way Vanessa would return be ether new character or if  they wanted Pippa back full time and   Debra declined to return and they asked  . Vanessa to return. 

of course i do realise both actress have move on to other things in life and H&A move on form Pippa days. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.