Pippa Fletcher/Ross - Vanessa Downing & Debra Lawrance

I think Debra Lawrence was born in 1957 and Vanessa in 1957 or 1958 so they are about the same age. Vanessa did look older than 30 when the show began, I thought she was in her mid 40s.

Remembering Jackie Woodburne auditioned for Pippa twice and lost out. She looked like Debra Lawrence facially but was more Vanessa's build. I remember Debbie's Pippa well and yes, she could be quite abrasive and condescending at times. Ness's Pippa and Debbie's Pippa were classed as the same person but it was almost like Debbie was playing a new character coincidentally called Pippa Fletcher. She had not yet met or wed Michael when Debbie took the role of course.

Edited by Homeandawayfan.

Well, there seems to be a lot of hatred for Pippa about. Can’t say I entirely understand why, seems to be a case of people having unrealistic expectations and her failing to live up to them. She was never going to be capable of walking on water, but on the whole she’s a good mother. I’m not sure I entirely agree that she was more “fun” before the recast. I think she was more “lively” for want of a better word, but Debra’s Pippa still has a sense of humour. It’s understandable she’d be more subdued after losing Tom, she was heading that way anyway. If Vanessa Downing had stayed in the role another ten years, she probably wouldn’t have still been playing it the same way she did in 1988: Look how much Ailsa and Irene changed and became more staid over the years. If Pippa married Tom in 1969, we can safely assume she was older than 12 at the time, so if the actresses who played her were born in 1957 then they were younger than the character.

Yes, Pippa played her part in the (temporary) breakdown of her marriage with Michael, but a lot of factors were in play there. I don’t remember the storyline with Shannon playing out like that, I thought the “You love Sally more than me” was just paranoia on Shannon’s part and when Sally quizzed Pippa about it she denied it. Guess we’ll have to wait and see. As for Jack…well, he’d test the patience of a saint and has. But the thing about Pippa is she never gives up, and that’s why people like Jack, Tiegan and Justine who came to her hating the world became better people. Yes, she flounders: She came on too hard with Fin (who admittedly wasn’t technically a foster child at the point) and ended up having to back down to a degree, although Tom did the same with Carly for taking the modelling job. But I will never forget the way she made sure Liam knew he had a family with them right after Michael died: Even in the darkest moment, Pippa’s still Pippa deep down and the world’s the better for it.

• Like 2

I liked that someone mentioned that even in the 90s she was written at times as perfect. My mother noticed that and it drives her crazy. "That Pippa, such a perfect housewife, always does everything on time, does all the washing, ironing, makes most delicious food, bakes for the diner, and when the kids have problems, she always knows what to say to them, and is always full of wisdom". I can't disagree with that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sindikatas said:

I liked that someone mentioned that even in the 90s she was written at times as perfect. My mother noticed that and it drives her crazy. "That Pippa, such a perfect housewife, always does everything on time, does all the washing, ironing, makes most delicious food, bakes for the diner, and when the kids have problems, she always knows what to say to them, and is always full of wisdom". I can't disagree with that.

My mother felt that exact same way about Beth Hunter :lol:

• 2 months later...

I want to see Pippa return for guest role and I can't believe it's been seven years since her last guest role.

I think the problem with Pippa's last return is that she was brought in to finish off Irene's storyline as Lynne did not manage to film them before she went to do her promo in London in 2009 with Belle going to rehab.  So they brought Debra in to cover.  I could be wrong but it was just the impression I got as Irene had gone on her boat trip just a week before Pippa returned!

• Like 1

I think Marilyn's amnesia story was such a missed opportunity for Pippa to return. When Leah/Roo called for backup, the obvious choice given Alf & Irene not being reachable/in the country was Pippa, so I was a little disappointed when Irene turned up, despite it giving us the Irene & Marilyn scenes we'd hoped for since Maz's return.

• Like 1

I thought the same when John went to see Marilyn when she was out the country too when he asked Irene if Skye could stay id of loved Irene to say sorry where full but I know someone who can help and for Pippa to come back for a couple of week guest stint.

4 hours ago, Gazza said:

I thought the same when John went to see Marilyn when she was out the country too when he asked Irene if Skye could stay id of loved Irene to say sorry where full but I know someone who can help and for Pippa to come back for a couple of week guest stint.

I think that might have seemed a little too forced.

• 2 months later...

I know the storyline finished a few months ago but I thought it was not fair of Pippa when she went to stay with her parents and left 6 year old Christopher behind to be looked after by Michael. Michael already had four foster children to look after as well as a business.

I could understand Pippa leaving Christopher behind if Tom was still  alive. Tom was Christopher's real father.