Pippa Fletcher/Ross - Vanessa Downing & Debra Lawrance

I wish Vanessa had stayed as Pippa. I've been re-watching her episodes and Vanessa really fleshed Pippa out more then just being a typical mummy's character like Debra. But maybe Pippa just lost her liveliness after Tom death. 

I just think Pippa seemed more alive when Vanessa played her. Debra always played Pippa as though she was bored and living in Summer Bay was a burden.   

5 hours ago, chair said:

What is The Checkout?

The Checkout is an Australian consumer affairs television series. The show's first series of 10 episodes premiered on 21 March 2013 on the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) television station ABC TV.[1] A second series consisting of 16 episodes commenced airing on 20 February 2014.[2] On 9 April 2015, a third series consisting of 12 episodes began airing.[3] The series was renewed for a fourth series, which began airing on 7 April 2016 consisting of 12 episodes. The series returned for a fifth series, airing twelve episodes between 6 April 2017 and 29 June 2017.[4][5]The Checkout, with a new look, logo, opening theme and art, still retaining original cast and segments, returned for a sixth season on 30 January 2018.[6]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Checkout

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 24/02/2018 at 19:18, j.laur5 said:

I wish Vanessa had stayed as Pippa. I've been re-watching her episodes and Vanessa really fleshed Pippa out more then just being a typical mummy's character like Debra. But maybe Pippa just lost her liveliness after Tom death. 

I just think Pippa seemed more alive when Vanessa played her. Debra always played Pippa as though she was bored and living in Summer Bay was a burden.   

I agree the role was written for her. DebPip was just too cold, she showed very little emotion and her body language was always off. Did VanPip confirm that she left because Roger left?.

In my opinion there is a different kind of onscreen chemistry between actors who are dating secretly. I dont know if VanPip and Roger dated secretly but there was definatey a chemistry that they had, very similar to Frank/Roo Frank/Bobby. Funny enough, I never saw this with Alf/Ailsa even though they acted great together

I get that the Fletcher's lived humble lives but DebPip always looked so frumpy

I like them both equally. I can see them as the same character much more easily than I can with the two Roos.

im not sure Debra was cold. She had a really great chemistry with Bobby, Carly, Steven and Sally. And seem to really care about Jack and Shannona and Damien. She was great with others too, like Selena or Angel. Perhaps too soft with Jack at times. I can see the original Pippa not standing for his nonesense as much. 

Naturally even if it was the same actress, her role in the house would have to change slightly as Michael and Tom where just such different people 

Edited by Blaxland 89

• 5 months later...

I wish Debra Lawrence had played Pippa from the beginning since Debra would likely have not quit in 1990 and stayed till 1998.  That way we would just have had one actress as Pippa. 

I still like Vanessa Downing better but if Debra was not going to quit in 1990 I think I would preferred Debra to had be cast in 1988. . 

• 1 month later...