Most Popular Character 2010

Guest -Kevin-

thanks for this list. Really fun to read your comments too.

wasn't suprised to see Joey that high, because of all the hysteria this relationship with Joey and Charlie caused. I think that if she had been a hetero character with a 6 weeks non-eventful not real relationship she wouldn't have made into the list at all.

Well, i sort of liked Joey in the beginning. She was interesting before coupling her up with Charlie... who wasn't believable in this role at all.

I am not the one who has a romantically view on the earlier days of home and away. There have been bad and good characters during all the years (even if this years characters aren't as good as previous years) Just as there are good mainstay characters and there are not so good ones...

Never liked Gypsy and Vinnie, thought they were really over hyped. Was also very suprised when Ryan Kwanten started to appear in known American tv-series... But he has been better in those than he was in h&a. Vinnie was kind of a tool I think, really got Leah into trouble all the time, much worse than Dan.. And Gypsy was a quite boring character to me.. I have never understood that there must be certain characters that we are supposed to love and others we are supposed to believe are bad characters. I liked the other Nashes a lot, also Tom and thought he was underrated.

Morag as number 13, well she hasn't been in it so much the last year as she was in 2007/08, unfortunately. I love Morag! But I love the newer version of her, not the nasty old one. She still has an egde to her, and is very sharp sometimes but has a good heart. There are not many characters like that in H&A. There are so many characters, so I am pleased with Morag getting number 13.

Bit suprised to see Nicole this high, and Ruby too... I don't think Nicole has been written very well, and she has had a several storylines which shouldn't have been done... Never liked Ruby, she has always been far too much for me... To unatural energic and far too pushy... Overplayed in my opinion.

Not suprised to see Tony this high. He had a lot of good scenes last year after Jacks dead remember, alone and together with Rachel. Which also allowed tony to shine on his own and not only stay in the shadow of his demanding wife.

Hm... never liked Angie either, she was too soapy for me... Really don't like such villain over-the-top and unrealistic characters. She was the first step in the wrong direction in my opinion (towards the stalker and sensationalistic storylines era) But I know she was popular, but still suprised of her relatively high ranking (25th), because it is years since she was on the show (7 years??)

Suprised to see Cassie and Lucas that low, and maybe Ric too... as I can't see Mathilda Hunter on this list so far, so that means she must be in top 10. Which suprise me. I didn't think she was that much more popular than Cassie or Ric... And Romeo is above Cassie... strange... he is such a shallow and nonsense character, but probably got some extra votes because of his looks and this very inconsistent familystoryline of his. But when I am reading this board I get the impression that people think that the last teen group (Cassie, Ric, Mathilda, Lucas and Belle) was better than the newer teen characters/group. Even if it is now 2 years since they departed I thought they would have placed much higher than Romeo, Nicole and Ruby.

Sad to see Kane that low, but his return destroyed him as a character. Would have liked to see Rhys Sutherland here (But, I am probably the only one who liked him), and would have liked to see Shelley higher. And I am missing Jesse on this list.

There are so many characters that i had forgotten about, so this list reminded me about them. Fun! Really looking forward to the rest of the list.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was some howlers over the years. Floss and Neville, I think watching the Early Years, really have ran out of steam and really appear to be no more than a token presence each week. Matt isn't great and Luke of course has become the beacon of utter pointlessness.

What seems to happen with regards the results of characters that have left for a long period of time from the poll taking place is that we get a person or two who really liked, take Carly, and so Carly usually gets the same points each time.

What happens with more recent characters is that they still haven't found their hardcore support who still vote. The first vote took place in 2004 and I could reel of some names who were a big part of the community at that point, but who appear to have lost interest in the show. I believe come 2012 Joey will get about 5-10 points, Lucas will go the way of someone like Seb and Matilda will probably begin to drop along with Martha and Aden.

It will be interesting to see when Sally begins to drop down the list or if she does, if KR stays away from the show. Her 2006 victory was utterly dominant.

I actually quite liked Luke, don't know why he's got a bad reputation.(Maybe the whole Cool Teacher thing is a bit dated, we haven't really had one since Harry ten years ago.Gone are the days when they'd hire Craig McLachlan for the role.)Matt is considered a bit of a joke, I remember when he came back in 2002 Greg Benson commented that he spent four years hanging around in the background as the highest paid extra in television.

I actually really liked Vinnie, he was a bit of a tool to start with but by the time he was with Leah he was a pretty decent guy and his only real mistake was trusting his father.(Dan, on the other hand, got Leah kidnapped and got VJ hospitalised.Never really liked them as a couple.)Gypsy was an odd one, for her first two years she was a selfish princess and I didn't like her, then around the time the rest of the Nashes left and she had the Kieran storyline she turned into a mature, decent person and suddenly became one of my favourites.Agree that the new, softer but still sparky Morag is better than the Dynasty villain she used to be.Also agree that I couldn't understand Angie's popularity, I remember a bemused Laurie saying she played her as someone who had gone a bit crazy but was going to get better...and then it turned out she actually was crazy.

Quite glad that, Belle aside, Ric and Mattie seem to be the most popular of the previous teen group. Until they got lumbered with some awful storylines near the end, they spent most of their time together being the solid, strong couple who supported everyone else.Really didn't like Cassie near the end, Lucas was okay but had an unfortunate tendency to turn into a self-destructive jerk whenever a girl dumped him.Biggest surprise is Drew vanishing completely, guess all his fan base turned into Adelle fans.Didn't really mind him but didn't like his relationship with Belle.

Think the antipathy towards the current teen group is partly down to the Xavier/Ruby/Jai/Annie set-up last year where you had two decent characters who were hardly in it and two irritating characters who should never have been paired up.Not a surprise that Romeo got a lot of votes despite being one of the worst current characters, I think people have been fooled by the puppy dogs.(Which, frankly, was a big part of the popularity of another character who seems to be in the Top 10.)No doubt when he next gets paired up with someone half his fans will proclaim them the Best Home and Away Couple Ever and the other half will complain that she's ugly and not good enough for him.Even though both he and Xavier obviously work a lot better with guys than girls. Agree Nicole hasn't been best well-served by some storylines that seemed designed to make her seem unsympathetic or foolish and sadly it seems she's about to get another one.

Biggest disappointment, aside from the apparent absence of another recent departee, is Pippa being so low.Probably down to having left over ten years ago and a terrible last return where it would have been a lot better for her to come in for two episodes, do her stuff and leave, like Shelley did, rather than hanging around for another two weeks doing nothing.Must remember to vote for her next time.

Archived