While The Mice Are Away

Guest Red Ranger 1

Sorry there's been a bit of a wait.Thanks for the comment and hope you like this one.

CHAPTER 21

Mrs.Komano had left the two of them alone in the lounge, Annie still not quite sure what to make of her brother’s sudden appearance.“How are you?”she asked.

“I’m okay,”Geoff said quietly.

“How are the..?”She gestured to his back.

Annie and Jai had spent the last few weeks listening in horror and astonishment to the news reports about Summer Bay.First the news about the people smuggling operation and Hugo being shot, then about the riot and the Diner being burnt down.There had been many frantic phone calls home to check that their friends and family were safe.When Annie had finally got hold of Irene, she had only been slightly calmed by her reassurances that Geoff was all right, given the news that his back had been badly burned in the fire.

“It doesn’t really hurt anymore,”he replied,“And they say the risk of infection’s gone so I don’t have to wear the bandages.The scars are still there though.”

Annie nodded slowly.“I’m glad to see you,”she said at last,“What exactly possessed you to jump on a plane and come over here?”

Geoff hesitated.“Actually, I’m just kind of passing through.”He noticed her confused expression.“I’ve been in the city the last few weeks.The new reverend got me into this special training course.I’ve joined the church missionary service.”

The news shocked her.“I didn’t know you wanted to do that.”

“It wasn’t something I’d really thought about but…it just feels like this last year I’ve been drifting further and further away from what I want to be.This is a way to get back to it.”

“You said you were passing through..?”

“Cambodia,”Geoff said quietly,“I’ve been posted to Cambodia.”

“So…when I go back to Summer Bay, you won’t be there?”Annie almost said “if”, just stopping herself in time.

“You’ll have Irene there and Ruby.And from what I hear, Romeo’s always talking about you…”

“Really?”The news surprised her slightly.

“Yeah, what’s happening between you two?”

“I don’t know.When I first came over here, we were e-mailing each other all the time but we seem to be doing it less and less.”

Geoff nodded slowly.“I guess that’s what happens.”

“What about you and Ruby?”Annie asked.

“We kind of split up.”

“What?I’ve only just accepted that you two are together and now you aren’t?”Annie was aware she sounded petulant.But after everything this felt like one change too many.

“It…”Geoff paused, thinking about his words carefully.“I love Ruby.But…I guess sometimes, no matter how much you feel about someone, it’s not the right time for it to happen.”

Annie let the words sink in.She was about to say more when Mrs.Komano came in.“Geoff.You stay dinner?”

Geoff got to his feet.“Ah, no, Mrs.Komano.I have a plane to catch.”

Annie saw her confused expression.“Hikouki,”she translated.

Mrs.Komano smiled.“Ah!Aeroplane!I leave you to say goodbye.”

Annie looked at Geoff for a moment, all sorts of thoughts running through her head, then she wrapped her arms around him and hugged him.“I’ll see you soon.”

Annie had a been in a daze since meeting Geoff the day before and so hadn’t paid quite enough attention to where she was going.Before she had time to notice, Hugh was standing in front of her.“Hi,”he greeted her.

Annie looked around for an escape from the conversation but it seemed she was stuck.“Hi,”she responded.

“Our date ended pretty quickly the other night.”

Annie nodded slowly.“And not the way you were planning, I expect.”

“Are you planning on staying here after the holidays?”

It was a question Annie had been thinking about a lot.“I’m not sure yet.”

“Well, if it helps…I’m not.”

The revelation surprised her.Despite his poor start, Hugh did seem to be making a lot of progress in class recently.“Why?”

Hugh hesitated.“Because…I miss Australia.I miss barbies on the beach, I miss surfing, I miss footie, I miss understanding what everyone’s saying…What?”

Annie was smiling.“I’m sorry, it’s just…you’re the last person I expected to be feeling homesick.”

“I mean, I’m glad I came here and everything,”Hugh continued,“But it’s not for me.”He sighed.“My dad’ll be disappointed.He thought I’d really get something out of this trip.”

Annie considered him for a moment.He still wasn’t the sort of boy she’d take home to meet her family but…he’d improved a lot since she’d first met him.“Maybe you’ve learnt more than you realised.”She was about to move off when she stopped.“Hugh…do you always act like that on a date?”

“Pretty much.”

“Well…not that I’m an expert or anything, but maybe you could try doing things differently next time?”

Hugh considered for a moment.“I’ll think about it,”he said at last.

Annie smiled at him.“You’ve certainly made the trip memorable.”

“You sure you don’t mind?”Jai asked.

Miles’ voice sounded from the other end of the telephone.“Look, mate, you know the most important thing to me is that you’re happy, right?”

“Yeah but…I just thought maybe you’d want me there.”

“No, I was glad to see the back of you.”Miles laughed slightly.“Unless you’re planning on falling into a black hole or something, we’ll probably run into each other again one day.I mean, it’s not like the house is empty without you.I’ve got Alf and Nicole and Romeo and his sister and…”He broke off suddenly, as though hesitating.“Well, let’s just say I’m not short of company.In fact, I don’t know where we’d put you even if you did come home.”

Jai was relieved to hear Miles talking like that, more like his old self.“Thanks, Miles.”

“No problem.Just don’t forget this number because if you don’t call I really will feel unloved.Talk to you soon.”

“Yeah.Bye, Miles.”Jai put the receiver down.

“That didn’t sound too bad,”Annie remarked.The two of them were sat in the front room at Boshirou’s house, banned from going near each other’s bedrooms until further notice.

“No, I think he’s all right,”Jai agreed.He paused nervously.“I guess Irene would be all right too.If you told her you wanted to stay.”

“I guess.”Annie didn’t sound too certain.“But with Geoff leaving as well, it’s going to be harder.”

“At least you’ll be able to tell her face to face if you decide.I mean, with you going back for the holidays.”

“Actually…I’m not sure if I’m going to go back either.”

This was news to Jai.“Why not?”

“Because I love it here.I love the people and the culture and…it’s like this whole other world I never knew existed.”

“Yeah, I know, but I thought you were looking forward to seeing everyone back home.”

“I was, it’s just…”Annie sighed.“I think I love Romeo as well.”

Jai was quiet for a moment.“Then wouldn’t you want to see him?”

“I do, sometimes, but…while I’m here, I know what I want.But if I go back there and see him again, if we start going out, I think I’d want to stay.But I’d want to come back here as well and that would be confusing and it wouldn’t be fair on him and…”She paused, regaining her breath.“It could get messy.”

Jai nodded, understanding.“I think you’ll do what’s right.”

“So, you’re definitely staying?”Nina asked when Annie explained things to her later.

“Not definitely,”Annie admitted.

“Then what are you worried about?”

“I think I should stay but…it’s Irene.”

“She’ll understand, won’t she?”

Annie shook her head.“Irene’s been like a mother to me and Geoff since Pop died, I don’t even remember my real mother.And…a year ago there was this whole family of us and now it’s gone.If I ring up and tell her I don’t want to come home…I’m worried about upsetting her.”

Nina looked at her thoughtfully.“What if you had a reason for staying?”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean…I was talking with Aki and Deiji about the holidays and we’re talking about getting all our money together and going on a rock climbing holiday, getting some of the rest of the class involved as well. What do you think?”

“I think it sounds great but what’s that got to do with me staying here?”

“Well…if you were going on that with us, do you think Irene would understand you staying?”

Annie thought for a moment.“Maybe…”

“Well, it’s just an idea.”

“No,”Annie agreed,“It’s a good idea.”She nodded decisively.“I think I’m going to make the call.”

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for your comments, everyone.

I think you should start a H&A spin-off with Annie and Jai in Japan. I'd totally watch that. :P

Great!Now I just needed to get Channel 7 to lend me Jordan, Charlotte and a camera crew.And a flight to Japan...

CHAPTER 22

“Well, yeah, I guess the new Diner is keeping me a bit busy.”

Annie heard the uncertainty in Irene’s voice.It almost made her have second thoughts about the phone call, about her choice.But she’d started this, she needed to finish it.“The thing is, I was talking to Nina.You know, the girl whose family I’ve been staying with?”

“Yeah, I remember you mentioning her.”

“Well…she and some of her friends have arranged to go rock climbing during the holidays.It’s amazing what there is to do around here…”

“You can do rock climbing in Summer Bay, you know.”

“Yeah, I know but…not with Nina.”

There was a long pause before Irene spoke again, with the same forced cheerfulness.“So, that’s what you’re going to be doing then?”

“Yeah, I know I said I was going to be coming home for the holidays…”

“Ah, don’t worry about it, love.I mean, like you say, I’ve got the Diner and…and Ruby and Leah’s problems and, ooh, a whole heap of other stuff to worry about.It’s not like I’m going to be sat at home alone.”

“You sure?”

“Of course!You spend time with your friends.I mean, your exchange trip ends not long afterwards anyway, doesn’t it?”

Annie hesitated, wondering whether to mention Akeda’s offer and the fact that she’d practically decided she was going to stay on.Best to leave it for another time, she thought.Don’t put too much on her all at once.“Yeah, of course.I’ll see you then.”

Annie spent the next few hours with Nina and the rest of the group, arranging bookings and sorting out the equipment they needed to take with them.She headed up to her room, meaning to get in touch with everyone back home and let them know of her decision.She brought up her e-mail account and looked at her inbox in surprise.

Why was Martha Mackenzie e-mailing her?

Curious, Annie opened up the message.

Hey, Annie, I hope you’re having a good time.I’ve been speaking to Irene and she told me about how much you’re enjoying Japan and how you’re planning to stay there for the holidays.It’s just there’s been a lot happening here recently and I think your visit was one of the few things she had to look forward to.You know Irene, she wouldn’t say this herself, but she seemed disappointed by the news.I know you’ve got to do what’s right for you but I just thought you needed to know that.

Annie sighed.

“How did you go last night?”Jai asked when they ran into each other during first break the next day.

“Well, I rang Irene and told her I wasn’t coming back for the holidays.”Annie paused before adding,“And then I rang her back and told her I was.”

Jai looked at her dumbfounded.“I thought you’d decided…”

“I had.But I guess if I am going to stay here I should tell her face to face.I mean, it’s only fair.”

“If?”The word stood out for Jai.“Then you haven’t decided?”

“I don’t know, I probably will…”

“If you decide you’re not going to stay…it’ll only be about a month until we were meant to go home anyway…”

“I won’t be coming back,”Annie confirmed, answering the unspoken question.There was an uncomfortable pause.“I probably will.”

“What about Romeo?”Jai asked.He saw Annie look away, embarrassed, but he pressed on.“You said that if you saw him again, you might want to stay.And that if you don’t, it could get messy and it wouldn’t be fair…”

“I know,”Annie agreed,“But I can’t stay away from Irene because of Romeo and…I guess he deserves a chance to try and persuade me to stay.I did kind of make a promise to him before I left.”She tried to catch his eye but he was looking down at his feet, shoulders sagging.“I’ll probably be coming back,”she repeated.

Jai said nothing.

Last chapter, feel free to let me know what you think of it.

CHAPTER 23

“You are unhappy.”

Jai had considered going to his room and sulking.But he’d decided to be mature about it, to take his disappointment about Annie leaving, temporarily or otherwise, on the chin and move on.Unfortunately, Boshirou was being annoyingly perceptive.

“I’m not unhappy,”he insisted before lapsing into silence for a moment.“I’ve got no reason to be unhappy,”he said at last,“I mean, I always knew that she was planning to get together with Romeo when we got back.”

“Romeo is her boyfriend?”

Jai hesitated for a moment.“Kind of.”He ignored Boshirou’s confused expression and went on.“I mean, she’s told me loads of time that we’re not together anymore and I’ve accepted that.I get that we’re just friends now.So even if she did come back or decide to stay here, it wouldn’t be because of me, I’d just happen to be where she wants to be.So it doesn’t really make a difference.”

“You will miss her.”

Jai looked at Boshirou.Perceptive was the word, all right.“Yeah, I guess that’s probably it.”

Boshirou put a hand on his shoulder.“You have other friends here.”

Jai smiled.“Thanks.”

It had been a hectic few days.They’d waved goodbye to Hugh, both of them realising they’d miss him more than they’d expected.Now it was Annie’s turn to say goodbye.There had been lots of hugs and kisses at the airport, many farewells, but somehow Jai and Annie had ended up standing alone by the boarding gate, their friends and hosts having quietly made themselves scarce.

“So I guess this is it then,”Jai said at last.

“Guess it is,”Annie confirmed.She hesitated, unsure what to say.“Have you got a message for Mr. Copeland or anyone?”

“Just…tell them I’ll be in touch.”She’d almost turned to go before Jai added,“Annie…if you do decide to stay there…”

“That doesn’t mean it’ll be goodbye, we can write….”

Jai shook his head.“No, I didn’t mean that.I just…Let me know, I guess.”

Annie nodded.“I will.”The silence returned again, neither of them entirely sure how to play it.“Thanks for helping me see I wanted to come here.”

“Well…I think having you here made the trip more memorable.”

“I’ll probably be coming back.”There was a nervous hint to her voice.

“Yeah.”Jai kept his voice as level as possible.

Annie paused a moment and then pulled him into a hug.They held each other for several seconds before finally disentangling.“I’ll see you then,”Annie said at last.Jai thought he saw something glisten in her eye but maybe it was his imagination.

He nodded, letting a ghost of a smile reach his face.“See you.”

Jai had wanted a bit of peace and quiet for a few hours so he’d headed to the Todoroki Ryokuchi park and taken a seat in the garden.He hadn’t expected anyone to find him so he was surprised when Nina suddenly sat down next to him.

“It’s going to be strange without her around,”she said quietly.

Jai knew she meant well but talking wasn’t high on his list of priorities.“Yeah,”he replied simply.

“Do you think she’ll come back?”

Jai shrugged.“I know she likes it here but she likes it back home as well so…”

“How are you planning on spending the holidays?”

“I’m not sure.Boshirou and his mum and dad are going to visit his grandparents so I might end up going with them.”

“It’s just…There’s a place still going on that rockclimbing trip Annie was meant to be going on.”

It took Jai a moment to realise what she was suggesting.“You want me to go on your girls’ trip?”

“It’s not just for girls,”Nina replied,“Aki’s invited Dake along, Deiji’s bringing her boyfriend, there’s going to be lots of boys there.”

The news didn’t exactly make Jai feel any better.“Oh, right, so I’ll be surrounded by couples then?”

“Well…I won’t have a boyfriend.”

Something in her tone caught Jai’s attention.There was something different about her, she seemed almost shy around him, not making eye contact.She gave a nervous smile and he smiled back.She had a nice smile. He wasn’t sure why he’d never noticed that before…

Suddenly, seven weeks without Annie didn’t seem quite so bad after all.

Comments

Archived