Home And Away - Better Than It Use To Be?

Guest bobz3000,uk

What does everyone think of 2011 so far?

Up until now I think it has been a massive improvement over the last couple of years.

It's far more interesting, but not ridiculous. I like the River Boys - hopefully Heath will be fleshed out a little more soon - and now that I know they didn't kill and bury Angelo, the show on the whole hasn't done anything to really annoy me yet this year. Last year by this point we had already had the Aden burying his father thing which ruined the 'back to basics' premise of 2010 for me.

However, although it is good that there are more interesting plots going on this year I hope they don't overdo it. Charlie seems to be running around with her gun out every episode these days :rolleyes:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well firstly I have just got to say that the whole mystery line storyline in 2009 (?) was absolutely shocking!

It dragged on for far to long and, while in the end was fairly intriguing, I pretty much just gave up waiting for it.

Being a diehard Adelle fan, I kinda stopped watching h&a when Belle died, and then with Aden got together with Nicole :angry:, I just gave up on the show completely.

I barely watched the show in 2010, only tuned in over the xmas break because i began to like Romeo&Indi.

However since the introduction of the River Boys :wub:, I have been absolutely hooked!

I think they have contributed a lot to h&a's popularity this year!

Fantastic move by Cameron Welch and the scriptwriters to introduce these guys!

They're really fantastic!

what does everyone think of 2011 so far. up until now i think it has been a massive improvement over the last couple of years.

it's far more interesting, but not ridiculous.

however, although it is good that there are more interesting plots going on this year i hope they don't overblow it.

Completely agree with you :)

what does everyone think of 2011 so far. up until now i think it has been a massive improvement over the last couple of years.

it's far more interesting, but not ridiculous.

however, although it is good that there are more interesting plots going on this year i hope they don't overblow it.

Completely agree with you :)

I agree with you to. :D

• 3 weeks later...

I think that it's a huge change from last year where storylines were stretched out for far too long. This year the storylines seem to flow, characters are interacting one another, new friendships are formed and old ones are either tested and some are even strengthened. For some characters the continuity of on-screen friendships is good whilst it's lacking for other characters. One minute they are friends and then they don't share a scene or show how their friendship has grown until an event happens (and sometimes not even then). The characters and the way that they blend or stand out in the community has also been interesting to watch.

I still enjoy watching the Early Years episodes as they were family focused and character driven to some extent but at least this year the show is changing and is slowly focusing on characters, events that matter and continuity.

I think that it's a huge change from last year where storylines were stretched out for far too long. This year the storylines seem to flow, characters are interacting one another, new friendships are formed and old ones are either tested and some are even strengthened. For some characters the continuity of on-screen friendships is good whilst it's lacking for other characters. One minute they are friends and then they don't share a scene or show how their friendship has grown until an event happens (and sometimes not even then). The characters and the way that they blend or stand out in the community has also been interesting to watch.

Completely agree with all of this.

I think the River Boys have been great for the show. Better than a year long mystery.

I must say though I enjoyed the Angelo/ Hugo etc. mystery, I thought it was cleverly done and I actually like stories that bubble under the surface for ages.

However, I did NOT enjoy the Penn storyline. I did not care one iota about his character adn I didn't like poor Will being dragged back from obscurity simply to kill someone and be put in prison.

I must say though I enjoyed the Angelo/ Hugo etc. mystery, I thought it was cleverly done and I actually like stories that bubble under the surface for ages.

i like long-running stories, but the YLM didn't really bubble under the surface. it was more like a volcano, lying dormant for long periods and then blowing up in your face.

i found the formula quite tiring and it lost my interest early on. when something dramatic and intriguing did happen, it was then left unanswered and sometimes not even acknowledged the next episode and not resolved for weeks if not months.

However, I did NOT enjoy the Penn storyline. I did not care one iota about his character adn I didn't like poor Will being dragged back from obscurity simply to kill someone and be put in prison.

:lol: me neither.

This year has been mixed for me. I do think there has been a much needed drama injection after last years romance and relationship focus which didnt go back to being character based/family stuff at all - it was just a teen romance show.

I'm not interested in the cops and robbers type stuff with the River Boys because that action type drama is so plot driven I cant believe in it. What I do like is drama and action based within the context of a character driven storyline.

I also enjoy watching the emotional character storylines such as the recent baby swap storyline and all the triangle between Sid, Roo and Marilyn.

Lighthearted/warm or uplifting storylines are still really lacking and comical material needs to interweave into the everyday lives/episodes more regularly.

As I said in a previous post, I have also enjoyed how the older characters seem to be getting a decent look in - Colleen is a prime example. I thought that it would just be a phase but so far she has been a character within her own right this year and I've really enjoyed that - hope it continues because they've got the character well and truly on the right path in terms of how they are utilising her...i.e the fact that they actually are.

Other characters not so much, Irene is still well and truly under utilised. They really need to give her a friend, team her up with someone (Marilyn!?). It was great to have a scene where Maz went for some advice from Irene last week, reminded me of the dynamic they both had during the 90's. Irene seems to be the only one they haven't put much effort into so I'm looking forward to recent whispers.

Disappointed that Morag is leaving us yet again. They didn't do much with her during this stint but typically just as she is about to leave they put the effort in to her dialogue by including Morag's classic whit, her bluntness and passion for her beliefs and morals. There is always so much scope for a character like Morag and whilst I wouldn't mind if she was returning in a couple of months, the fact that we have no idea when she will return or indeed if, its just frustrating.

They have a great more...'mature' character in Morag, not only is she a unique and interesting character who helps to balance out the age demographics of the show, more importantly, she is portrayed by a fantastic actor in Cornelia Frances who loves playing her and always makes the episodes she features in much more enticing. Also the character works on so many levels because she is played so seriously - she can be thrust into comical situations or teamed up with comical characters because of the irony and it just works as well as being involved in the serious more gritty plots. There aren't that many characters you can use like this - so the show needs keep her on!!!!!

Archived