Home And Away - Better Than It Use To Be?

Guest bobz3000,uk

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think 2010 has been really good so far and got back to what the show is about. i didn't enjoy 2009...the pace was awful.

i thought mink was great and like this rabbit storyline with schizo miles.

it's really good marilyn's back...just what the show needed and pleased there's no rubbish credits anymore.

good job so far producers, stick with this formula. home and away is NOT a cop show and i don't want to see the hospital every other scene!

keep up the good work!

I'd have to disagree, and say that the show is a lot worse than it used to be. I think 2010 has been very good so far in terms of writing, plots and storylines, but so many characters are unlikeable it is difficult to invest time in them. There are quite a lot of characters I would axe, i.e. Gina, Xavier, Martha, Nicole, Annie to name a few. All the good characters seem to be saddled with bad characters. For example I love Ruby and her relationship with Geoff was great but once he left they put her back with Xavier again, who sucke all the life out of her in the first place. Same goes for Charlie, she's great, but she's stuck with Angelo and he's bringing her down. I'm really glad that they've decided to give Leah a long-term storyline and a love interest because it's long overdue, but her and Elijah have as much chemistry as two wet fish, I don't buy their relationship one bit and I hate that the producers brought in Elijah to tick their 'ethhnic diversity' box.

Xavier is pretty much ruining the show for me at the moment. I find it insulting to the viewers that the producers hang on to this dramatically dull character with about as much thespian talent as an ant's little finger, when are they going to get rid of him?! The endless storyline surrounding Hugo's box of money is driving me insane. And I couldn't give a dam whether he gets on with John Palmer or not, he has to go.

They've got Marilyn's return all wrong. Pretty much everyone scene she'd had has been with Alf, she wasn't that close to him during her previous tenure, and I love the character but why haven't the writers given her even one scene with Irene? They were good friends it's completely logical but I'm guessing that they want her to be at Summer Bay House to interact with Miles. I want her to form a relationship with Leah and see her with Irene, they've completely isolated her away from everyone.

Mink was a fantastic character who livened up Romeo's life a bit, I on't understand why such a great actress like Matylda Buczko was let go and only had a guest contract when such dullards and poor actors like Xavier, Annie, Martha and Nicole stay to torture us?

Seriously, I know Neighbours rates worse, but I don't know why, it's a million times better at the moment. Just get some decent characters in producers, stop trying to see how many times you can make me yawn in one episode!

poor actors like Xavier, Annie, Martha and Nicole

OK for a start I completely disagree with you about Jodi Gordon! I think she has turned into an amazing actress and in my opinion one of the stronger on the show at the moment. Also I don't think Tessa James is a bad actress at all! In fact I think she is a good actress. Xavier and Annie are boring and dull so I agree with you there. But really Jodi and Tessa ? There are worse actors on the show than them...

It's alright. However the damage was done in 2009, and now I simply don't watch as much as I did a few years ago because I have lost interest in a lot of aspects of the show. I don't care much for the storylines, and the characters are poor overall. Obviously there are good characters, but I'm not as attached to the ones that I used to love as I was before. Aden and Charlie used to have me hooked, but they don't interest me that much these days. There are far more characters that I hate now, and simply cannot bear to watch any scene with Nicole, Miles or Rubbish in it. I actually get filled with rage when I see any of these three morons, and that is not good for me, so I'd rather just not watch them at all.

- MORE AND A REPLY TO Edward Skylover - Its Been Getting Better - There Has eem to be less drama! but sometimes thats good! British soaps have loads of drama and most people are upset... in home and away people are happy not all are bt some and that's makes me happy seeing people happy and its a shame colleen isn't in that many episodes its all justin adan Nicole ruby Charlie ect! there's not many older characters! - i Agree With The Return Of Myariln! Shes In Some Episodes Than She's Gone? Where? i have only seen her in the Hospital, The Cafe Thing And In Alfs Home!! -

so erm...

It is definitely ALOT better than it was during 2009, characters interact naturally and not for the sake of a storyline and Alf is a world apart from 'the guy who say's flamin alot' that he had been from 2007 onwards. There is still room for improvement though, as always. I think outside of Mile's and Justin's storylines everyone else has pretty much the same one, the hardships of a new romance so it can feel a little snail paced alot of the time.

Whilst the show has certainly improved in terms of writing and directing, I think the editing on Seven's part is stuck in the past. By that I mean the lack of a decent opening, pointless- ugly ad-break transitions and the way the episodes and underscore just fizzle out into the promo. Things that have been generally complained about since 2004. They need to sort it out because Home and Away doesn't really have an identity or brand image anymore, apart from the font I guess. The Summer Bay meets Twin Peaks look is still very exclusive to the show and would probably work better now than it did in the late nineties, randomness is IN.

Seriously, I know Neighbours rates worse, but I don't know why, it's a million times better at the moment.

Ok, H&A is still not at its best but lets not go insane by saying that ferociously badly written & acted nearing death Neighbours is in a better state. :blink:

Seriously, I know Neighbours rates worse, but I don't know why, it's a million times better at the moment.

Ok, H&A is still not at its best but lets not go insane by saying that ferociously badly written & acted nearing death Neighbours is in a better state. :blink:

I don't see why you quote my observation with such disbelief. What makes you think that Home and Away is in a better state than Neighbours? Granted, there may be a teen overload in Neighbours, and some of the storylines on the show may not be the greatest at the moment, but I on't agree with anyone who says that the acting on Home and Away is better than it is on Neighbours. As I've previously said, David (Xavier) and Jodi (Martha) can barely pronounce their dialogue, let alone act. There are very few characters on Neighbours that I hate. Whereas I'd probably only axe Zeke on Neighours, there is a very longlist of characters I'd axe from Home and Away due to bad acting or just because they're bad characters.

Neighbours also has a larger sense of history. It has 8 residents who have lived in Ramsy Street for longer than ten years, in Home and Away there are only 5 now that they've brought Marilyn back, but Colleen and Irene can barely qualify in this category because they NEVER get storylines. I'm sick of people slagging off Neighbours when Home and Away is clearly far worse. You say it's 'nearing death' but the ratings for Neighbours beat Home and Away by a country mile in England. Home and Away is just lucky it airs on Channel 7 in Australia. Reverse timeslots and channels, and Neighbours would be in a much stronger state.

I'm sick of people slagging off Neighbours when Home and Away is clearly far worse.

And I'm kinda sick of you stating your opinion as given fact and listening to you slate home and away and it's characters and actors in every post you make. It's one thing to give constructive criticism and whole other to continually harp.

Home and Away is just lucky it airs on Channel 7 in Australia

Because it's pure luck that an Australian show would air on an Australian channel...

Archived