Marilyn Chambers - Emily Symons

Ok. But the age difference is still to big! And Fischer really do seem older than 69!!

No, i think Fischer looks much younger than his age

Why? don't just give a one word answer it's rather rude ;) the last time i saw Maz in around 2011 she seemed more mature and this is good as it's realistic

I think Fischer looks young for his age, i watched a clip from 1995 when he was hit by Alf and he Didnt look a day over 50

Hehehe.. Look at. Marilyn in 1995, she looked certainly younger than in her 40's then. And you and I looked far younger than we do now. Why? Because it is 19 years ago. I think mr Coburn was in his mid fifties back then. But how they look doesn't really matter. It is also against forum rules to discuss the actors looks!!!

But my my point is that I think the age difference between those two was too big. I did not belive in them as a couple.

Some people here wish that Marilyn was written ditzy as she was in the mid 90's and think it is bad continuity and bad writing of the character when she isn't. She was ditzy when she came back in 2010, and I think that was bad continuity. Because Marilyn was not ditzy the last few years she was ib the show in the nineties. And I did not find the way she was in 2010 funny. I thought she was annoying, loud and rude. But now in 2013 season she is portrayed far too stupid. She does not feel funny or sweet, but less smart and almost like a person with cognitive problems.

I wonder if she is meant to be ditzy and funny, but I find her cringeworthy and awful at times. Especially when she is pining after John, and Roo's involvement does not make it better. Maybe this changed towards the end of the year, but... I have liked her now and then the past couple of years, but it seems to me that the writers can't make up their mind of how they want to write her. And it is the same feeling I had when I watched late nineties episodes many years back. Marilyn was best until about mid nineties.

I´m not the one who started to talk about his look, jodlebirger did. I´m just defending his look saying he looks younger, that´s all:)

Edited by Jacklost

Some people here wish that Marilyn was written ditzy as she was in the mid 90's and think it is bad continuity and bad writing of the character when she isn't. She was ditzy when she came back in 2010, and I think that was bad continuity. Because Marilyn was not ditzy the last few years she was ib the show in the nineties. And I did not find the way she was in 2010 funny. I thought she was annoying, loud and rude. But now in 2013 season she is portrayed far too stupid. She does not feel funny or sweet, but less smart and almost like a person with cognitive problems.

I wonder if she is meant to be ditzy and funny, but I find her cringeworthy and awful at times. Especially when she is pining after John, and Roo's involvement does not make it better. Maybe this changed towards the end of the year, but... I have liked her now and then the past couple of years, but it seems to me that the writers can't make up their mind of how they want to write her. And it is the same feeling I had when I watched late nineties episodes many years back. Marilyn was best until about mid nineties.

There are times when I think Marilyn might be an acquired taste:I found her somewhat annoying when she came back in 1995 until I got used to her.I didn't like her when she first came back in 2010 but I think the main problem wasn't her behaviour so much as other characters' reaction to it.We had Alf give that big speech in her first episode back about how wonderful she was, then were presented with this woman riding rough shod over Miles' feelings in his own household in a way that was thoughtless as best while Alf continued to treat her like she was wonderful and that Miles was the unreasonable one to object to this strange woman throwing his things out and forcing him to eat what she approved of.There's nothing more irritating than being told you're meant to like a character when the plotline's not giving you any reason to.Things picked up once Alf's reaction to her became more realistic and her flaws were acknowledged, which allowed the audience to like her in spite of them like the characters did.

I didn't like some of Roo's involvement in the storyline and felt her intervention did more harm than good, although I like their friendship generally.I think they've been writing Marilyn okay recently and I generally find her likable.

• Like 1

Ok. But the age difference is still to big! And Fischer really do seem older than 69!!

Why? don't just give a one word answer it's rather rude ;) the last time i saw Maz in around 2011 she seemed more mature and this is good as it's realistic

I think Fischer looks young for his age, i watched a clip from 1995 when he was hit by Alf and he Didnt look a day over 50

Hehehe.. Look at. Marilyn in 1995, she looked certainly younger than in her 40's then. And you and I looked far younger than we do now. Why? Because it is 19 years ago. I think mr Coburn was in his mid fifties back then. But how they look doesn't really matter. It is also against forum rules to discuss the actors looks!!!

But my my point is that I think the age difference between those two was too big. I did not belive in them as a couple.

This was because Marilyn had post natal depression after giving birth to Byron, so of course her ditziness wouldn't be shown as the show focused on Marilyn's depression. And then he got cancer, so she was obviously upset at that. And then, he died offscreen. We next saw her in 2001 in the London episodes, where she was still feeling depressed and nothing like her ditzy character.

The reason she returned to Summer Bay, (although it wasn't revealed to us at the time), was because she'd been told by her psychic friend, Mitzi, that she was going to die soon. This made Marilyn decide to live her life to the full, which presumably made her bubbly and ditzy again.

She's still calling Alf Mr Stewart even though she doesn't work for him. Shouldn't she call him Alf. She did start calling Donald by his first name once she finished school. What is even more strange is that the last time she saw Celia in 1990 she reffered to her as Ms. Stewart. But last year when they met Marilyn reffered to her as Ceils. And it was never explained how it happened,

I remember reading somewhere a few years ago that when Marilyn returned, Emily Symons and Ray Meagher noticed that in the scripts, Marilyn was calling Alf by his name. They both remembered that during her previous two stints, she had always called him "Mr Stewart" and so changed the lines accordingly. If you've always called someone by a name like that, it seems like the more natural thing to do. I used to have two neighbours that lived on the other side of my road for the first 16 or so years of my life. I always referred to them as "Auntie (name)" and "Uncle (name)". And even today, when it's been twelve and a bit years since they moved away, I still refer to them by those names, as it wouldn't feel right calling them anything else.

With Donald Fisher, she had fallen in love with him and so obviously called him "Donald" instead of "Mr Fisher" because of that. I don't remember the Celia name change though.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This was because Marilyn had post natal depression after giving birth to Byron, so of course her ditziness wouldn't be shown as the show focused on Marilyn's depression. And then he got cancer, so she was obviously upset at that. And then, he died offscreen. We next saw her in 2001 in the London episodes, where she was still feeling depressed and nothing like her ditzy character.

The reason she returned to Summer Bay, (although it wasn't revealed to us at the time), was because she'd been told by her psychic friend, Mitzi, that she was going to die soon. This made Marilyn decide to live her life to the full, which presumably made her bubbly and ditzy again.

She's still calling Alf Mr Stewart even though she doesn't work for him. Shouldn't she call him Alf. She did start calling Donald by his first name once she finished school. What is even more strange is that the last time she saw Celia in 1990 she reffered to her as Ms. Stewart. But last year when they met Marilyn reffered to her as Ceils. And it was never explained how it happened,

I remember reading somewhere a few years ago that when Marilyn returned, Emily Symons and Ray Meagher noticed that in the scripts, Marilyn was calling Alf by his name. They both remembered that during her previous two stints, she had always called him "Mr Stewart" and so changed the lines accordingly. If you've always called someone by a name like that, it seems like the more natural thing to do. I used to have two neighbours that lived on the other side of my road for the first 16 or so years of my life. I always referred to them as "Auntie (name)" and "Uncle (name)". And even today, when it's been twelve and a bit years since they moved away, I still refer to them by those names, as it wouldn't feel right calling them anything else.

With Donald Fisher, she had fallen in love with him and so obviously called him "Donald" instead of "Mr Fisher" because of that. I don't remember the Celia name change though.

She even called him Donald on her first stint before any signs of romance. Good point about Celia. If Lance came back I wonder if he would still call her The Seal!

• 1 month later...

I think the whole thing with John and Gina, was amazing. But him with Marilyn, and her with him.... just makes me cringe. Marilyn's been out for him for awhile and I loved Gina, so it just irks me a lot that they're together...but it seems real soon after Gina's death.

In saying that, I must commend her for the suggestion she had about naming the school library in memory for Gina - in Jet's quest.

• 5 weeks later...

yes, great to see Emily back on H and A but why is she dating a guy

old enough to be her dad ?

What? :o

John is around his early 50s and Marilyn is about 45 years of age so John's hardly old enough to be her father. In real life, the actors are 11 years apart in age.