Marilyn Chambers - Emily Symons

As Kevin mentioned, the only reason Emily returned to Oz was to care for her mother who is suffering from cancer - she wasn't specifically back there to look for work, but H&A asked if she'd be interested in returning. Instead of sticking her nose up like certain former cast do (naming no names), she agreed to it. Yes what you say is true sometimes, but I don't see it in this case.

I can understand where that argument comes from, but as Dan F says, I don't think it's substantiated. If Emily hadn't returned to Australia due to the ill-health of her mother, I think it's highly likely that she would still be in England successfully working, whether it be in Emmerdale or in a variety of shows. I'm sure she'd be able to get work in Australia other than H&A, but IMO I think Emily is probably getting paid return - there are a lot of factors to consider. Marilyn is one of the most recognisable and loved faces of Home and Away's history, as such a popular character with such strong links to the past, I would assume she's on a high salary, and this gig therefore is much better for her personally.

Out of ALL faces from the past, she's probably IMO the most sought-after character to return, it's atrue blessing. And I think it's wonderful that Emily's such a fantastic lady to return to the soap. Kudos to her.

As well , a job like Home & Away she is guaranteed full time work, and that is a blessing for an actor because they know too well that they can end up jobless quite easily. I think quite a few actors like the longer standing actors/actresses in the show are on the show for the regular money that they get and its always a stable income and it makes them happy. So when TPTB came knocking then I'm sure Emily was happy to get regular work with a stable income. Hey it isn't Hollywood but its still a job , and I'm sure she has fond memories of working on H&A so maybe she just wanted to go back there.

Out of ALL faces from the past, she's probably IMO the most sought-after character to return, it's atrue blessing. And I think it's wonderful that Emily's such a fantastic lady to return to the soap. Kudos to her.

Isla Fisher, Melissa George, Ryan Kwanten...just a few names that would probably be more sought-after than Emily.

I can understand where that argument comes from, but as Dan F says, I don't think it's substantiated. If Emily hadn't returned to Australia due to the ill-health of her mother, I think it's highly likely that she would still be in England successfully working, whether it be in Emmerdale or in a variety of shows. I'm sure she'd be able to get work in Australia other than H&A, but IMO I think Emily is probably getting paid return - there are a lot of factors to consider. Marilyn is one of the most recognisable and loved faces of Home and Away's history, as such a popular character with such strong links to the past, I would assume she's on a high salary, and this gig therefore is much better for her personally.

But she did return and let's be happy she's back.

Edited by john003au

Isla Fisher, Melissa George, Ryan Kwanten...just a few names that would probably be more sought-after than Emily.

And Helena Bozich.

Are you sure you haven't just chosen those people because they're Hollywood stars now though? If they hadn't made it big, I doubt they'd be remembered any more fondly than Marilyn. And Ryan Kwanten, are you serious? Vinnie's in nowhere near the same league as Marilyn. He wasn't even there during the show's Golden Era.

quote]

What do you mean? The whole point of my post was to say that we should be happy she's back. :???:

Did people see Emily's interview on Sunrise? It is up on the official site. I had to laugh at her description of Emmerdale. I don't think I ever saw Louise interact with a sheep all the time she was on it! :lol: Also her comment on it sometimes being minus 4 degrees! It seems so normal to me to be going to work in minus 4 temperatures, but it must have been hard for her, being from Australia.

I love how she has slipped back into the character of Marilyn. There is no hint of Louise Appleton in it, and there was no hint of Marilyn in Louise either. I only make the point because Marilyn is such a distinctive character that I would have thought it tricky to pick her up after such a long time. What a great actress!

Do you remember on Emmerdale she used to be called "Skippy"? I can't remember who by now...probably Viv. I love how UK soaps can get away with being non-pc.

Yes, in Emily's case I am probably wrong.

But the actors who have a big fanfare: I'm off to Hollywood! OR I'm off to have a singing career! Bye bye soaps! Then they never get anywhere and turn up back where they started in the same soap as the same character. Can they only play one part then? :blink: It doesn't look good on the CV.

Are you sure you haven't just chosen those people because they're Hollywood stars now though? If they hadn't made it big, I doubt they'd be remembered any more fondly than Marilyn. And Ryan Kwanten, are you serious? Vinnie's in nowhere near the same league as Marilyn. He wasn't even there during the show's Golden Era.

quote]

What do you mean? The whole point of my post was to say that we should be happy she's back. :???:

Sorry Edward i was surpose to Qoute someone else but Qoute you by mistake.