To Trust Again

Guest callyha

Chapter 41 :)

At Angelo’s…….

Ruby and Angelo had spent all yesterday and this morning getting the house ready for Charlie’s homecoming. They didn’t want to over whelm her, so they didn’t put too many thing out. Just a bit of food and a small banner saying ‘welcome home’. Leah, Rachel, Miles and Tony were at the house.

They had arrived an hour earlier but Leah and Rachel were cautious when they approached the house. Not wanting to go in because of what happened.

Angelo came into the front room. “Here you are guys” Angelo said as he gave Miles and Tony a beer. Ruby handed Leah and Rachel a glass of wine.

“When does Charlie get out?” Tony asked

“I’m going to pick here up in about half an hour. I want to go now but Charlie made me promise not to be too early.” Angelo said with excitement in his voice.

“Bet you can’t wait can you Ruby” Rachel asked, trying to get images of that night out of her head.

“I just want her home. I know this isn’t the home she bought, but she was the happiest she has ever been here and that’s all I want. And to be able to give here a big hug without having to worry about all the tubes and wires coming from her” Ruby couldn’t wipe the smile off her face.

“Sorry to leave guys, but I’d better be going if I want to get Charlie” Angelo said as he grabbed the car keys. Ruby finished her drink and ran after him, waving at everyone as she went through the door.

Tony went to the kitchen with Miles. Getting another beer out of the fridge, they sat down.

In the front room Leah and Rachel sat on the couch. Looking nervously around the room.

“so I hear you and Tony are moving in together” Leah asked

“Yea. But we’re holding off for a while” Rachel replied

“Why?” Leah asked “Your relationship is what it was like before Paul came onto the scene”

“I know, its just. Charlie’s ordeal has held me back” Rachel confessed

“Why?” Leah asked. Knowing that she too, didn’t want to take things further with Miles due to the same reasoning: Charlie’s ordeal.

“Charlie goes through years of abuse, no one knowing about it. She nearly dies in a fire, and then gets shot in the chest, by the man she thought loved her. So for me to announce to her that I’m back with Tony, everything is great and that we’re moving in together will make her feel like a failure. Or worse. And I don’t want that. I want her to be happy”

“But at the same time you deserve to be happy” Leah told her

“I know. But what happened that night, Warren coming and attacking Charlie, made me realise that, yea ok Paul cheating on me with that plastic Barbie was agony and embarrassing for me, and you been left at the altar was also embarrassing and just awful, Charlie deserves what we have with Tony and Miles more than us. Charlie deserves to find that one person who will treat her and love her the way she deserves. And I can’t do anything with Tony until that happens” Rachel paused. “Is that wrong of me? Holding off on a relationship with Tony because of Charlie?”

“No. Rach, we both saw a level of evil we never thought possible. And it happened to one of our friends. I don’t think its wrong. You want what’s best for your friend. that’s a good thing. Tony understands doesn’t he?”

“Yea. I explained it to him. But it still doesn’t mean that he wont be disappointed” Rachel looked to the floor. Looking back up to Leah she began speaking again. “Anyway, how are things with you and Miles?”

“Good, yea” Leah broke off. Leaving her and Rachel in silence.

In the kitchen Miles and Tiny were talking about the girls.

“I asked her to move in with me”

“That’s great! What did she say?” Miles asked

“At first she said yes. But then a couple of days ago she asked me if we could wait”

“Why?” Miles asked as his expression changed

“She said it wasn’t fair for Charlie to come out of the hospital and see her and me happy and moving in together. When Charlie has been through something like this”

“That’s the same with Leah. I want her to move in, I want to plan our future together, but this whole mess has really gotten to her”

“Well be fair mate, Leah, Rach and Charlie were really close at one point. So they obviously will think of each others feelings” Tony added

“I know. It just sucks. All of this is Warren’s fault. If I ever see him I’ll punch him. Bastard” Miles said as he drank some of his beer

“Yea, you and me both mate”.

At the hospital….

Ruby and Angelo walked through the doors and along the corridor to where Charlie was. Both looking forward to seeing her stood up, without any machines attached to her.

Room 303...

Charlie finished placing things in her bag.

Sitting back on the bed, she grabbed the earrings from the table and put them in her ears. She then grabbed the necklace. ‘Angelo’ She mumbled to herself. Charlie put on the necklace. Standing up she grabbed her bags and walked over to the door.

Charlie bumped into Angelo as she opened the door.

Charlie took a step back as Angelo made her jump.

“Hey. I thought we were picking you up?” Angelo asked. Slightly confused

“Yea, you are, just not from this room” Charlie replied. Her voice sounding better than yesterday.

“Well, we’re here now, so, to the car Miss Buckton” Angelo said as he took the bags form Charlie

Ruby linked arms with Charlie and they walked back down the corridor.

In the car on the way back to Angelo’s Charlie sat quietly. Only speaking when Ruby or Angelo said something. Charlie wasn’t the same.

“Charles? What’s the matter?” Ruby asked as she put her hand on Charlie’s hand

“Nothing” Charlie smiled

“Charlie!?” Ruby said

“I’ll tell you later” Charlie smiled

Ruby smiled to herself. Angelo looked in the rear view mirror and saw Ruby’s face. He knew something was up.

Cell 216

“Tendril. Some one posted bail. don’t skip the town. Not one foot out of town. Or you’ll be right back here.”

“Who paid?” Warren asked. An evil gleam shone from his eyes

“Don’t know. Some stupid prat. Your court hearing is in one week. Be there” the officer told Warren. The officer wasn’t happy.

Warren walked out of his cell and walked down the corridor.

Breathing in the fresh air he had one though and one thought only.

Charlie.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 42 :P

Charlie got out of the car. She stood looking at Angelo’s house.

Her breathing became more intense, her palms became sweaty.

“Ready?” Angelo said as he walked in front of Charlie.

Charlie nodded. She then swallowed hard.

As Charlie approached the door she stopped.

“Charlie? What’s wrong?” Angelo asked. But got no response. Charlie stood. Frozen.

Charlie felt Warren’s hand grab her from behind. She watched as the door got further away from her. She saw the look on Rachel and Leah’s face. Horror.

Charlie shook her head. “I can’t go in” She said

Angelo faced Charlie. “I can’t go in” Charlie repeated.

Ruby went over to Charlie and gave her a hug. “It’s ok” Ruby whispered. Charlie cried in her daughters arm.

Inside the house….

Leah stood up and looked out of the window. She saw what was going on.

“Charlie’s back” She said

Tony and Miles emerged from the kitchen. Rachel stood up.

“Are they coming in?” Tony asked

“No. they’re just stood there” Leah replied.

Rachel stood up and walked over to the window. “It looks like Charlie can’t bring herself in”

“Can you blame her?” Miles added as he grabbed a sandwich.

Leah and Rachel looked at each other.

Walking to the table they grabbed the food and some drinks. They then headed for the door.

“If Charlie wont come in, we’ll go out” Leah said.

Opening the door to step outside Rachel headed for Charlie.

Charlie looked to Rachel and forced a smile on her face. Charlie did the same to the others.

“Feels good to be out?” Miles asked to break the tension

“Yes. I can’t handle been in hospital any longer than needed” Charlie replied, grateful for the distraction.

A silence fell over the group.

As dark fell the group split up. Their day-long picnic came to an end.

Soon Charlie, Ruby and Angelo were the only ones left.

“Are you ready?” Angelo asked

Charlie looked at the house. Placing a hand over her chest, she looked at Angelo.

“I can’t, I’m sorry” Charlie sobbed

“Charlie don’t worry, we wont go in” Angelo said as he took Charlie in his arms.

Angelo looked up to the sky. Everything he ever wanted was in front of him. But she was too scared to enter the house he wanted to make her happy in.

Three days later…..

Charlie layed in bed, still asleep. Angelo had gotten out of bed three hours earlier. Ruby was at school.

“Hey Angelo” Miles said as he walked in through the side door.

“Hey. And thanks for putting us up for the last few days” Angelo told Miles

“No worries. Any idea what you’re going to do?” Miles asked

“Nope. Poor Charlie, she’s too scared to go in the house. I don’t really blame her, but still” Angelo looked at the floor, hiding the tears in his eyes.

“Well you can stay here for as long as you need to” Miles told Angelo

“Thanks” Angelo said, looking up.

Charlie walked down into the front room.

“Morning” Charlie said

“Morning” Miles replied

“Morning. How you feeling?” Angelo asked

“A lot better. My throat doesn’t hurt as much” Charlie replied

Angelo smiled.

“I’ve got to get to work, the kids wont teach themselves” Miles said. Getting up he grabbed some toast and left.

Charlie sat down at the table and poured herself and orange juice.

At school….

“Hey Ruby!” Annie shouted as she ran up to Ruby

“Hi” Ruby replied

“How’s Charlie doing?”

“She’s ok. We’re staying at Miles’. Charlie couldn’t walk into Angelo’s place. You should have seen her. She was so fragile”

“Poor Charlie. How are you coping with it all?”

“I’m trying to be strong for mum, but its too hard to watch. Before Warren came back, everything was great. Mum and Angelo were growing closer. And after the fire, Angelo and I got on well. Which I think helped with mum and Angelo”

“That’s great” Annie said, hoping it would cheer Ruby up.

“Yea. But now, everything has gone backwards”.

Ruby and Annie walked along the corridor. Annie put her arm around Ruby.

Warren sat down on a couch in an apartment. The apartment was dark, messy and trashed.

Making himself at home, he put his feet on the table.

“Get your feet off the table” A voice said

“Shut up” Warren told the voice

“Is that anyway to treat the man who bailed you out?”

A man emerged from the shadows.

“Peter” Warren said.

Peter and Warren moved in to a hug. They hadn’t seen each other for two years.

“Why bail me out now?”

“Cos I need you” Peter told him

“For what? I got my own things to do”

“That Mandy woman. She wont cover for me any more. If the cops find out I’m the owner, they’ll know I had a part to play in that fire. I wont get the money from the insurers”

“What do you want me to do about it?” Warren asked

“Shut Mandy up for good. She’ll be practice for you. Seem as though you can’t get rid of that Charlie babe”.

Warren and Peter smiled evilly at each other.

Chapter 43 :)

At Miles’ house….

“Hey Miles, I’ve got some money here for you. For putting Charlie, Ruby and me up”

“Keep your money, its fine” Miles replied, holding his hands up so he didn’t get the money

“Miles, there’s three of us. Let me pay you”

“No.” Miles said. Then walked out of the house

Ruby came into the house

“What up?” Ruby asked

“Miles wont take any money from me”

“So?” Ruby asked

“It’s the least I can do for letting us use his house for the last week” Angelo told Ruby

“So why don’t you put some money in a envelope? He’ll get it but wont know who its from” Ruby suggested

“Might do that” Angelo said, slightly embarrassed that an eighteen year old told him what to do

“Anyway, how’s mum doing?”

“Charlie’s fine. We went for a walk along the beach this morning” Angelo told Ruby as he went and sat next to Ruby.

“A walk? Was Charlie ok with that?” Ruby asked

“Yea, she was fine. We only walked slowly” Angelo assured Ruby.

“Do you think she’s coping?” Ruby asked

“I don’t know. I haven’t talked to her about any of it. I don’t want to cause her any more pain”

“Angelo, you and I both know you couldn’t hurt mum, you love her too much”

“Yea I do” Angelo replied.

Ruby and Angelo were sitting on the couch. They looked like father and daughter, Charlie thought to herself when she entered the room. Not making a noise she stood in the kitchen.

“What are you going to do about it then?” Ruby asked

“I don’t know. I was actually going to ask Charlie to move in with me before everything blew up”

“Angelo. Why didn’t you tell me?” Ruby asked

“Because I wanted the time to be right. But now, I don’t think I’ll ever get that chance” Angelo told Ruby. Ruby hugged Angelo, Angelo had a tear fall down his face.

Charlie smiled from her heart as she saw Angelo and Ruby connect.

Still smiling, Charlie walked out of the house. The fresh air would help her think clearly.

At the apartment…

“Go do it now!” Peter shouted at Warren

“I’ll get round to it!” Warren bellowed back

“No you’ll go now! This is why Charlie isn’t dead. Your too lazy!” Peter said, taking the remote control off Warren

Warren glared at Peter. Grabbing a gun he headed for the door.

“Do it right would’ya? I need Mandy out of the picture”

Warren put the gun in his coat pocket.

At the bar…..

Mandy was loading her car up with the last few things from the office. In the shadows, Warren stood waiting.

Mandy came back to the door of the bar and shut it.

A gunshot was heard.

Blood splattered over the window and on the pavement near the bar. Mandy fell to the ground. Blood oozing from her head.

Warren put the gun back in his pocket.

Smiling, he headed for a familiar street.

Miles walked into Noah’s. he saw Leah and Rachel.

“Hey” Miles said as he sat down at the table with them

“Hey. How’s Charlie settling?” Rachel asked

“She seems ok. I think she’d be a lot better if she could get back to where she was before all of this happened. Or even better if Warren dropped dead” Miles told them

“Just give her time, she’ll come round” Leah said

“I just hate seeing her like this. It was bad enough when I saw what Ian did to you” Miles replied

“You’re so caring” Rachel pointed out

Miles blushed slightly. Leah and Rachel laughed.

“I must admit, it would be nice to see the Charlie we all know and love. I know its not her fault, but I really miss her” Rachel said

Charlie was sitting on the beach looking out to the sea.

Thoughts were going through her mind.

When would her dreams come true?

Is Angelo the husband in her dreams?

Or was it all just that, a dream?

“Hi, I’m Angelo Rosetta. I just moved to the bay a couple of days ago. I was wondering if you could show me around?”

“Erm, the town is pretty small, you’ll find your way” Charlie replied. Not looking at Angelo, instead looking at the kitchen of the diner

“Waiting for someone?” Angelo asked

“None of your business” Charlie replied. This time looking at Angelo.

“So can you show me around? Senior Constable Buckton” Angelo read from her badge

“I’ll arrest you” Charlie told Angelo

“Technically you can’t. I’m an officer too” Angelo said, getting his badge out

“O right. Anyway, who invited you to sit down?” Charlie asked as she noticed Angelo sitting at the table

“No one. I just sat myself down. So you going to show me around?”

“why do you want me to show you around?” Charlie asked

“Well it will give you and me chance to get to know each other”

“Why do I have to get to know you?” Charlie asked

“We’re going to be partners” Angelo smiled.

“What?” Charlie asked

“Hi partner”

Charlie looked at Angelo. She couldn’t help but smile at his goofy laugh.

“So who are you waiting for? A knife to walk out of the kitchen?”

“No. I was hoping that Roman would come out”

”Why? Is he gay?”

“Not that come out. I mean come out of the kitchen” Charlie answered, with a smile on her face.

“Oh” Angelo replied “Is he your boyfriend?”

“No”

“So why?..”

I’ve been wanting to ask him out for a while” Charlie told Angelo.

Charlie stopped talking. Realizing that she was having a conversation with Angelo, like she’d known him for ages. Charlie looked around the diner for someone to come and break them two up. But no one did.

“So when do we get started? Partner?” Angelo asked

Five months later….

Charlie and Angelo were having a picnic on the beach. Everything was perfect.

Angelo was the one, Charlie thought to herself.

Eighteen months later….

“I love you” Angelo said

“I love you to” Charlie replied.

And with that, Angelo had gone.

When Angelo came back, Charlie was with Warren.

Charlie suddenly found herself looking at everything through Angelo’s eyes.

Upon seeing Charlie and Warren together, Angelo felt his heart slowly break.

every time Angelo saw Charlie and Warren together, another piece of his heart fell away.

Charlie had a tear fall down her face when she realized, Angelo had loved her through everything. Ever since their first meeting.

‘Its him” Charlie whispered to herself. Walking back along the beach, she went as fast as her chest would let her.

Charlie walked into Miles’ house. She saw Angelo sitting on the couch watching TV.

She smiled.

Warren found himself back at Angelo’s house.

Looking through the window he saw the ‘welcome home’ banner on the wall. He smiled when he though Charlie was in.

Warren lifted his foot up of the ground and brought in down on the door. He continued to do this until the door caved in. Stomping in the room he shouted for Charlie.

No one answered.

Warren went up the stairs. He looked at each step. Seeing the blood droplets from Charlie made him smile.

Kicking each door in he searched the rooms.

No one was home.

Warren screamed.

Warren then turned around and headed back down the stairs.

Warren walked up to the banner and ripped it off the wall. Holding the banner in his hand, he squeezed his hand together.

In anger, he threw the banner to the floor.

Warren gave up his search and walked out the door.

Following the road he walked and walked. He saw a sign.

‘Noah’s bar’.

Reading the word bar, he walked over to the place.

Inside Noah’s bar…

Tony had now joined Leah, Rachel and Miles. They were all sitting around the table, talking about what they could do to help Charlie.

Leah gasped as she saw Warren.

Rachel, Miles and Tony looked to where Leah’s eyes were fixated.

Terror filled Rachel and Leah.

Rage filled Tony and Miles.

“What can I get you mate?" Alf asked as he wiped his hands on a cloth.

Tony tapped Alf on the shoulder “Don’t serve him”

“Why not?” Alf asked

“He’s the guy who put Charlie in hospital” Tony said.

“A beer” Warren said

“Would using manner kill ya?” Alf asked as he looked at Warren with disgust

“Yea, it would. Now get me my beer” Warren demanded.

Alf put a beer on the bar top. “$20” Alf said

“For a bottle of beer? You’re having a laugh aren’t ya?”

“And you are if you think you can waltz around town with your head held high”

“What?” Warren demanded

“Charlie Buckton? Ring any bell?” Alf asked

“Nope. Never heard of her”

“I never said they were a woman. Get out you flamin’ mongrel!” Alf said, changing the tone of his voice.

“You can’t through me out” Warren told Alf.

“Get out”

“Make me”

Tony walked over to Warren and punched him. Blood fell from Warren’s eye brow.

Warren never retaliated. Instead he walked away.

On the beach….

Angelo and Charlie were walking along the beach.

Charlie had asked him for a walk.

“Remember when you first came to the bay?” Charlie asked

2What? And you were in the diner looking for that Roman guy? Vaguely” Angelo replied

Charlie playfully hit him. “I’m serious. I was thinking about that earlier. I was thinking about other things too”

“Like what?” Angelo asked

“I was thinking about how I felt during everything that’s happened to us. You and me dating, you going on that job and how I felt, and meeting Warren. I never once thought about how you were feeling. But then I did. I suddenly saw everything I did through your eyes” Charlie stopped as she caught her breath. “I felt your heart break a little every time you saw me and him together”

Angelo stood there. Not saying a word. He took everything in.

“I never told you about a couple of dreams I had when I was in hospital did I?”

Angelo shook his head.

“I dreamt about my future. My wedding, finding out I was pregnant, having my son. Holding my newborn daughter, and just been really happy”

“You saw that?” Angelo asked

“Yea, I did. I just never saw my husbands face” Charlie confessed.

Angelo looked into Charlie’s eyes. Charlie took Angelo’s hands.

“Its you. The husband in my dreams, it was you”

They stood looking in each others eyes. A minute passed before any of them did anything.

Angelo moved his hand and placed them on Charlie’s face, brushing her hair away from her face. Gently stroking her face, he leaned in for a kiss.

Warren stood looking out to the beach.

He saw Charlie and Angelo.

Opening his jacket, he grabbed his gun.

Chapter 44 :) Thanks for the lovely comments! :)

At the bar…

Peterson ad Davidson walked up the body bag.

“Mandy Decree, gunshot wound to the head, died instantly” the coroner told the detectives.

“Has anything else been found?”

“Just the bullet. It was in the wood pane surrounding the glass, the bullet went right through”

The coroner handed the bullet to Peterson. Investigating it closely it reminded him of another bullet..

At the hospital a few weeks ago…

“This is the bullet that was removed from Warren Tendril’s leg. We also found residue of the same bullet in Charlie Buckton’s chest” The surgeon handed the bullet to Detective Peterson.

“Warren Tendril” Detective Tendril said out loud.

Peterson headed back to the car, Davidson followed.

On the beach….

Warren began to walk towards Charlie and Angelo. Someone came up behind him and stopped him.

“What do you want?” Warren asked the man

“I’ll do it” Peter said as he took the gun from Warren

“Why?”

“Cos you killed Mandy for me, and burned down my bar. It’s the least I can do” Peter looked at Warren.

Peter walked away from Warren. Warren hid behind the bush again and watched.

At Noah’s….

“I can’t believe he showed his face!” Leah shouted

“Flamin’ mongrel. I’d like to bash him in, see how he likes it” Alf said

“Miles? Where are Charlie and Angelo?” Tony asked

“Angelo was at the house and Charlie went for a walk, Wh…” Miles broke off from what he was saying.

Tony, Miles and Alf raced outside.

Outside….

Tony saw a man in the bushes

Miles saw Charlie and Angelo walking along the beach

Alf saw Peter walk down the path way on to the beach.

Leah and Rachel came outside.

Charlie turned around when she heard a noise.

Peter raised the gun and brought it down on Charlie’s head. She fell to the sand.

Angelo grabbed Peters hand, trying to grab the gun out of his hand.

Warren saw what was going on, he ran out of the bushes, only to meet Tony holding a plank of wood. Warren fell to the floor.

Leah took her phone out her back and called the police. And she asked for an ambulance.

Rachel watched on in horror.

Tony threw the plank of wood to the floor and ran to the beach to help Angelo.

Angelo and Peter were now punching each other.

Charlie was laying still on the ground.

At Miles’ house…

Ruby came down the stairs. “Hey Angelo, have yo..” Ruby stopped when she didn’t see Angelo.

Ruby headed for the door.

Walking through the caravan park to get to the beach she heard shouting.

Running as fast as she could she followed the voices.

On the beach…

Charlie was still out cold.

Angelo and Tony had wrestled Peter to the ground.

All they had to do was wait for the ambulance.

Alf came to where Tony and Angelo were. Swapping places with Angelo, Alf put his knees on Peters back.

Angelo rushed over to Charlie.

Lifting Charlie on to his knees, he felt how cold she was. Bringing Charlie in closer to keep her warm he cried out.

Leah and Rachel ran down to the beach. Crying as they saw Charlie lay there. Motionless.

No one noticed Warren getting up.

Chapter 45 :) enjoy! :)

The police arrived on the scene.

They ran down on to the beach and grabbed Peter.

Walking him back up to the car, they handcuffed him.

Angelo was still holding Charlie. He shook as the cold air got through to him.

“Come on Angelo. Bring her into Noah’s. it’ll be warmer in there” Alf said as he placed his hand on Angelo’s shoulder.

Angelo looked up at him. Alf looked fuzzy through Angelo’s red eyes. He nodded sadly.

As Angelo rose to his feet with Charlie in his arms, he made his way back up to Noah’s.

Ruby came running when she saw Angelo.

“Mum!” She screamed.

Angelo never said anything. He looked forward.

Ruby took one of Charlie’s hands. Holding tightly onto it.

Miles walked over to Tony.

“He’s gone” Miles whispered in Tony’s ear.

“What?” Tony disbelievingly said

“Warren, he’s gone”

Miles and Tony headed off to find Warren.

They followed the blood droplets that were on the floor. They were hard to see, but Tony and Miles were determined to find Warren.

At Noah’s…..

Alf told all the customers to leave.

Angelo came through the door and gently put Charlie on the couch. Looking at her lifeless body he cried.

Ruby stood next to Angelo. She too, was crying.

Angelo turned and brought Ruby close to him.

Outside…

Tony and Miles watched as they saw a man stagger across the car park.

The man held his head, almost as if to stop the blood from falling to the ground.

In the police car…

Peter was been driven to the police station.

He looked out of the window.

Wondering how he’d got caught but Warren didn’t.

“You do realise Warren is still out there” Peter told the officer

“We know. We have officers searching” the officer replied

“Shouldn’t you be out there helping?” Peter asked

“No” The officer replied

“I haven’t done anything wrong” Peter told the officer

“Carrying a fire arm with out a gun licence classes as something wrong” the officer told Peter. Peter raised his eyebrow. “That and hitting a police officer, insurance fraud” the officer continued

“What fraud? What police officer?” Peter asked, confused about the police officer, but not so much on the fraud

“You got your brother to torch your bar in order to get money. that’s insurance fraud. And Charlie Buckton? The woman you hit across the head with the gun? She is a police officer”

“S***” Peter said to himself. Warren never told him she was an officer.

Anger filled his body. He wanted revenge.

“I can tell you where Warren will be going” Peter told the officer.

“Where?” the officer asked.

“Take the next left” Peter said

At Noah’s….

Paramedics came through to where Charlie was.

There faces didn’t show good news.

Placing Charlie on the carry bed, they walked back out of Noah’s and put Charlie in the ambulance. Angelo and Ruby got on as well.

The doors closed and the ambulance drove away.

Leah and Rachel watched. Crying as they said bye to their friend.

At the hospital…..

“Found unconscious, trauma to the head” one paramedic said to the doctor about Charlie.

“Fell in the shopping centre. Has history of heart attacks” Another paramedic told a doctor about the woman who was also in the room.

Doctors were assessing Charlie.

Charlie still hadn’t woken up.

Suddenly her heart stopped beating…

At the apartment….

“This better not be a wild goose chase” Watson said to Peter

“It’s not” Peter replied

“So why squeal?” Watson asked

“Warren deserves it. He screwed up. If I go down. He goes down” Peter replied. Mo remorse what so ever.

Warren stumbled into the door. Reaching in his pocket he grabbed his keys.

Opening the door to the apartment, he was welcomed with an evil smile from Peter, and guns facing him from Watson and Hames.

Warren turned to run, but was met by Davidson.

“Warren Tendril, you are under arrest” Davidson told him. Placing Warren’s hands in the cuffs, he began reading his rights.

Peter and Warren were taking down stairs.

Driving off in the car, Peter and Warren realized, they’d lost.

Peter lost his business, and his freedom.

Warren lost control. He lost Charlie to Angelo, he lost revenge, he lost his freedom.

At the hospital…

Ruby and Angelo were pacing the corridor.

Neither speaking. They were too fragile to speak. One word spoken and they would have a breakdown. Instead they kept looking at each other, offering a forced smile.

The door opened slightly.

The flat-line beep could be heard.

“Time of death, 8:52pm”

Ruby and Angelo fell to the floor in a crying heap.

Charlie was dead.

Chapter 46 :) Enjoy :)

At the hospital…8:53pm

“Time of death, time of death, time of death” Kept ringing through Ruby and Angelo’s ears.

Ruby sat on the floor, hugging herself whilst she rocked back and forth.

Angelo stood. Looking lost.

Charlie was dead. He’d lost the love of his life.

In the room…..

A doctor closed her eyes. Bringing the covers over her face.

On the other side of the room, the other woman had pulled through.

She was awake.

Looking over at the covered body, she realized how lucky she was to be alive.

Leah, Miles, Tony and Rachel all walked through the door.

Rachel went straight to Angelo. Angelo broke down in her arms. Nothing could comfort him.

Leah went to Ruby. Ruby never moved.

“She’s dead. Mum is dead” Ruby repeated over and over.

Leah moved Ruby so she could comfort her. Ruby stopped speaking. The tears falling from her eyes did all the talking.

In the room…

Charlie looked around the room. “Where’s Angelo? Ruby?”

“They’re outside. Would you like them in?” the doctor asked

“Yea, please” Charlie smiled.

The doctor nodded. “I’ll just remove Mrs. Kolding from the room” The doctor walked over to the body. He wheeled her out of the room.

Walking out of the door, Ruby. Angelo, Leah, Miles, Rachel and Tony all watched at the bed was wheeled to the morgue.

The doctor stood looking at the group. They stared at the bed.

“Charlie would like to see Ruby and Angelo” the doctor said.

No one flinched.

The doctor cleared his throat.

“Charlie would like to see Ruby and Angelo” He repeated

Angelo and Ruby slowly looked up.

“What?” Ruby asked

“Charlie. Wishes to see Ruby and Angelo” the doctor repeated again.

Angelo and Ruby’s eyes widened, their mouths dropped.

But we heard you say time of death. We heard the machine flat line.

Angelo and Ruby thought to themselves.

Leah and Rachel had beaming smiles on their faces.

Charlie had survived.

Ruby and Angelo ran into the room.

Sitting up right in bed was Charlie. She looked a little pale, and had a dressing on her head, but she was ok.

“Charlie!” Angelo smiled

“Mum!” Ruby beamed

Charlie looked at them and smiled.

Opening her arms, Angelo and Ruby fell into her.

Embracing each other.

At the police station….

Warren and Peter had been placed in two of the cells.

Warren stared at the wall. There was no way he was getting out now.

He had lost.

Charlie had won.

Peter stared at the wall in his cell.

“Your court date is one week from today”

Played through his mind.

Five days later….

Charlie walked along the beach.

Two days ago she had decided to face her fears head on.

First, she went to her own house. The flashes through her mind were bad; she remembered how Warren beat her, pushed her. But she also remembered that her and Ruby had a life in that house.

The next place she visited was Angelo’s house.

Walking down the path, she felt her walking becoming heavier. Every step she took made her feel like she was back there. In the house, struggling to get Warren off of her. Charlie reached her shaky hand out, she grabbed the door handle.

Opening the door, she took a deep breath in.

One foot went inside the house. Charlie couldn’t bring herself to go all the way in. All she saw in front of her was the look in Warren’s eye as he grabbed Charlie, the look of absolute fear in her own face. Charlie remembered what her last thought was when she saw herself fall to the floor, blood pouring out of her chest.

Her, Angelo, Ruby, Zach and Maddie. Together and happy.

Closing the door on that imagery, she shut out the last part of her ordeal with Warren.

Today, was Charlie’s visit to the beach.

Charlie couldn’t remember much of the attack, all she could remember was talking to Angelo about her dreams, and how he was the one.

A smile filled Charlie’s face.

She looked up towards Noah’s bar

Maddie and Zach ran up the path. Angelo was chasing them. Charlie turned to her left and saw Ruby stood there. Smiling at her mother.

Ruby was holding a baby grow. Charlie looked at Ruby’s stomach.

Ruby shook her head, and looked at Charlie’s.

Charlie walked forward.

Smiling.

Chapter 47 :)

enjoy :)

It was the morning of the trial.

Charlie was nowhere to be seen.

Ruby and Angelo were frantically looking for her everywhere, but with no luck.

“Angelo, why don’t you and Ruby go home. Miles and I will carry on searching” Tony said

“No. I have to find her” Angelo said.

“Sure” Tony replied. Seeing how worried Angelo was, he didn’t want to add to that upset.

Leah took Ruby home, to see if Charlie was there.

Charlie wasn’t at Miles’

Sitting on a stone looking out to the ocean, Charlie placed her hand over her stomach.

Imaging herself pregnant with Angelo’s children.

Rachel walked up to her. “Charlie?” Rachel spoke softly.

Charlie turned around. “Hi”

“You ok?” Rachel asked

“I’m fine” Charlie answered, looking down at the sand.

“Charlie, we can talk about everything if you want” Rachel said, offering her services.

“Thanks, but there’s nothing” Charlie smiled at Rachel.

“I don’t believe you. Charlie, you have been through so much. Most of it you suffered in silence. But you don’t have to anymore. You have all of us” Rachel stroked Charlie’s arm.

Charlie looked at Rachel, her words rung through Charlie.

A tear fell down Charlie’s cheek.

“Charlie. Today will be the end of everything. You don’t have to worry anymore”

“I know” Charlie said happily, a second tear fell down her face.

“Then why are you out here? Ruby and Angelo are worried about you. You’ve barely spoken to them about anything” Rachel asked

“I don’t want things going wrong. I’ve stuffed up so many things before. I just, don’t want to do it again” Charlie said, more tears streamed down her face

“Charlie, nothing will go wrong. Angelo loves you more than anything, Ruby loves you so much, they both just want what’s best for you”

“I remember something that night. Before I slipped away completely” Charlie spoke

“What was that?” Rachel asked

“The feeling of been completely safe in Angelo’s arms. For some reason, when I was in his arms, nothing would happen to me. I’d be safe, he kept me safe. I trusted him completely. I still do” Charlie smiled

“So go tell him” Rachel said

“I need to talk to Ruby first. I came out here to see if I could find the words to tell her”

“Has it helped?”

“Nope” Charlie replied. Looking at Rachel she smiled “You helped me find the words”.

Charlie hugged Rachel. The women made there way back to Miles’ house.

At Miles’ house….

“That was Rach. She and Charlie are on there way back” Tony said as he put his phone back in his pocket.

Ruby and Angelo breathed a sigh of relief.

At the courthouse….

Charlie sat in the corridor. Her body shaking as she cupped her hands over he mouth.

Ruby sat next to Charlie, her arm around her mothers shoulders, offering support. Angelo was pacing.

The door opened

“Charlie Buckton. You may now come in” the man said

Charlie looked up. Her face filled with terror of having to come face to face ith Warren and Peter.

Ruby took Charlie’s left hand and smiled at her.

Angelo took Charlie’s right hand, he too, smiled.

“I call detective Davidson to the stand please”

Davidson walked up to the stand. Placing his hand on the bible he swore himself in.

“Can you tell me about Warren Tendril. How did he come to your attention?”

Davidson swallowed. He looked at Warren and then to Charlie.

“Warren Tendril first came to my attention when we received video footage of a man entering the bar on the night of the fire”

“You mean Splosh?”

“Yes”

“What was on the footage?” the man asked

“We saw a man break in through the window in one of the back rooms. The picture went fuzzy, but then…”

“So the footage isn’t solid proof. You have no real proof that Warren entered Splosh”

“As I was saying… when the picture came back on again, we saw an item of jewellery fall to the floor. Upon investigation in the room, we found that the necklace belonged to Charlie Buckton”

“So you assume that my client was in the back room? Maybe Charlie herself started the fire”

Charlie cried, Angelo got furious and Ruby shook her head in disbelief.

“Charlie was one of the people injured in the fire. If I remember correctly she along with three others were badly injured. Eye witnesses can account for Charlie been in the bar area at the time of the fire out-break”

“This necklace, how were you able to attach it to Charlie Buckton?” the man asked

“Initials on the necklace itself, and a picture in the necklace. We have Charlie’s details on record as she is an officer” Davidson finished.

“Any further questions?” the judge asked.

Warren looked mad. His lawyer failed him

“No your honour” the man said with his head low.

Davidson walked from the stand and headed out of the courtroom.

The judge wrote on her piece of paper.

“This court is in recess until tomorrow morning at 9”

The judge hit the hammer on the bench.

The room emptied.

Chapter 48 :)

The following day 9:00am…

Judge Anderson entered the room. The court room stood.

“You may sit” Judge Anderson said.

Warren’s lawyer stood.

“Your honour. My client has also been charged with the possession of a firearm. If you look at these documents, you will find the name Warren Tendril on the paper” Jarvis handed the paper to the judge.

“Upon reading the article, Warren’s name is on the account. Charge dropped”

Warren smiled.

Charlie had a tear fall down her face.

“The next offence my client is charged with is assaulting a police officer. Charlie Buckton never told my client about her profession. Thus a charge such as this is unjust”

“Charlie Buckton? Would you please stand” Judge Anderson asked

Charlie closed her eyes, wishing she wasn’t there. She slowly rose to her feet.

“Yes” She asked

“Would you step to the stand please?” the judge asked

Charlie looked at Angelo. He smiled and nodded.

Charlie made her way to the stand. Her entire body shook with fear.

The man swore her in

“Charlie Buckton. How long have you been a police officer at Yabbie Creek police station?”

“Nearly five years” Charlie answered. Looking at the back of the room.

“And in that time you had been in a relationship with my client, yes?”

“Yes” Charlie answered

“That man over there” Jarvis pointed at Warren

Charlie couldn’t bring herself to look at him. “Yes”

“Did you ever tell him your profession?” Jarvis asked

“Yes”

“When?”

“Its how we met” Charlie felt sick when she spoke these words

“When you met? What were the circumstances?”

“Myself and a colleague were called out to a burglary. When he came to the station looking for his things, he said to me that he wanted to take me out for retrieving his things” Charlie spoke quickly, wanting to get it out of her mind

“Who is him?” Jarvis asked

Charlie shook. She didn’t want to say his name. “Warren Tendril”

Judge Anderson looked at Warren’s reaction. She saw him wipe his mouth- a sign of panic.

“Warren Tendril. Do you account for this meeting?” Judge Anderson asked

“It doesn’t make any difference if he knew or not. Charlie Buckton was off duty and so this charge is also a discredit” Jarvis stepped in

“Whether Charlie was on or off duty makes no difference. Abuse is against the law. It is a crime. One that has gone on with out punishment for long enough” Mullen added. He had sat long enough listening to everything. He wanted to win the case for his client.

“Mullen, is there anything you wish to add to that statement or ask your client?” Judge Anderson asked.

“No” Mullen answered. He saw how scared Charlie looked.

“You may step down” Judge Anderson told Charlie.

Charlie went back to her seat. Sitting down she sobbed into her hands.

In the corridor….

Charlie, Angelo and Ruby were sitting.

“What happens now?” Charlie asked Mullen as he came out of the courtroom.

“Well so far one charge has been dropped. The firearm is his, he does have a licence to carry one. However, the fire and the abuse are still open” Mullen answered

“I can’t go back in there. He looks to smug” Charlie said as she gazed at the door.

In the courtroom….

Warren had been called into the stand

“Can you tell me you were the night of 5th March?”

“I was out” Warren answered

“Where?”

“Just out”

“Can anyone back up your story?” Mullen asked

“Yes” Warren lied

“Who”

“Don Loomis” Warren replied

“We have check up on this alibi your honour. A Mr. Don Loomis was in hospital on 5th March”

“Mr. Tendril. May I remind you that you are under oath” Judge Anderson said.

Warren just sat there. Not saying anything.

“Get him out of here!” Anderson shouted.

Warren was taken back to his cell.

The guard brought Peter out.

Three hours later……

Mullen walked out of the courtroom. Charlie was layed over Angelo’s knees, asleep. Ruby looked like she was about to go to sleep.

“What is it?” Angelo asked

“The jury have made a decision. Peter opened up like a flower, saying everything” Mullen smiled.

Angelo smiled happily. “Charlie” he whispered in her ear as he gently shook her.

Charlie woke up “What?” She answered sleepily

“They’re ready for the verdict” Angelo replied.

Charlie, Angelo and Ruby walked into the courtroom.

Standing at the front they held hands as one member of the jury rose to his feet.

“How do you find Warren Tendril” Judge Anderson asked

Charlie closed her eyes. Ruby stared intensely at the jury. Angelo squeezed Charlie’s hand

“Guilty or Not guilty” Judge Anderson continued.

The juror opened his mouth….

Chapter 49 :) Enjoy :)

At Miles’ house….

Miles, Leah, Tony and Rachel (and most of the bay), were all waiting for the news from Charlie, Angelo and Ruby.

The first day Leah, Rachel, Tony and Miles had gone, but the second day, they decided against it.

“I’m sick of this waiting around” Colleen said

“Flippin’ heck love, give them chance to get back here” Irene added

“I’m sure they’ll be here soon” Rachel added

“That mongrel should be in prison. For life” Alf added

“How come you didn’t go to the courthouse Alf” Xavier asked

“I left my statement with ’em. I can’t be doing with court hearings” Alf replied

“That’s what we did” Tony added.

Nicole and Aden came in to the front room

“Angelo’s car’s just pulled up” Nicole said

“How do they look?” Colleen asked

“We don’t know, we never saw them” Aden added

Charlie got out of the car. Her eyes were red from the tears she had cried.

Ruby walked up to her and gave her a hug “It’ll be alright mum”

Angelo walked up behind them. Placing his hands on Charlie’s shoulders, they headed for the house.

Charlie, Angelo and Ruby walked in to the room. Everyone fell silent.

Charlie looked at everyone and didn’t know what to say.

“Hi Charlie” Rachel spoke

“Hi” Charlie replied, softly.

Colleen looked at Charlie, not taking her eyes off her. “So?”

Irene tapped Colleen on the shoulder and shook her head at her. Colleen rolled her eyes.

“Guilty” Charlie smiled

Three days later….

“Ruby, can I speak to you for a minute?” Charlie asked as she walked into Ruby’s room.

“Yea, what’s up?” Ruby asked as she sat up on her bed.

“You know that I love you, nothing will ever chance between you and I”

“Yea, I know mum. What’s wrong you’re not making this sound to good” Ruby looked worried

“I never told you this, but I have told Angelo. When I was in hospital after been shot, I had these dreams of me with you and two other children” Charlie stopped speaking. She looked at Ruby. Ruby had a slight smile forming on her face.

“You want that dream to be real don’t you?” Ruby asked

Charlie looked down and nodded.

“Mum, I know you love me, and that you always have. But don’t let me hold you back from doing something you really want or want to do. If you want a family, have a family. I’ll always be apart of it. No matter where you go”

Charlie smiled “Its with Angelo”

Ruby smile became wider.

Charlie smiled back a Ruby.

Leaning in, they embraced in a loving hug.

One week Later…..

Tony and Rachel had finally moved in together.

Miles and Leah had their relationship where they wanted it.

And Angelo had found a house. Charlie didn’t know.

“Tony” Angelo shouted as he knocked on the door.

“Yea mate?” Tony asked as he opened the door.

“I need your help, but I also need Miles’ so are you free?” Angelo asked

“Yea” Tony grabbed his keys and followed Angelo to Miles’s house.

Miles and Tony were sitting in the car. Both looking confused

“What’s going on mate?” Miles asked as they drove on to a street

“Just wait” Angelo replied

After five minutes of driving down a road, Angelo stopped the car.

“what do you think?” Angelo asked as he looked at Miles and Tony

“Its nice, but I think I want to get to know you better before I move in with you” Miles answered

Tony laughed.

“Funny. No its for Charlie. Well us. Its an engagement present”

“Congratulations mate!” Tony said as he held his hand out to Angelo

“Thanks, but I haven’t asked her yet” Angelo replied as he shook Tony’s hand

“Why not?” Miles asked

“Because I need to get a ribbon tied around the house” Angelo answered

“What’s the house got to do with it?” Miles asked

“It’s instead of a ring” Angelo answered.

Chapter 50

The sun was bright, the sky was blue, and a very happy Charlie woke up.

Stretching her arms up high, she looked at her bedside table and saw the picture of her, Ruby and Angelo. Her smiled became bigger.

Walking out of the room, she followed the carpet along the hall and down the stairs.

“Morning babe” Angelo said as he presented Charlie with a grin and a kiss

“Morning” Charlie replied

“Hi mum” Ruby said as she ran into the kitchen. Ruby then grabbed a slice of toast “Bye mum”

“Bye” Charlie said as she watched Ruby rush out of the house.

“I guess you and her needed the sleep” Angelo laughed

“What you mean?” Charlie asked, taking a sip of her juice

“Its nearly ten” Angelo replied looking at his watch.

“Oh” Charlie replied

“That doesn’t bother you?” Angelo asked, knowing that Charlie was an early riser

“No”

Angelo looked at Charlie. Something was different about her. But he couldn’t tell what it was.

At school…

“Ruby!” Annie shouted as she saw Ruby run passed her

Ruby slid as she can to a stand still “Yea?”

“What’s wrong? Why you running?” Annie asked

“I’m late for school” Ruby replied, looking at her watch

“Today is the school trip. We don’t have to be here until now” Annie told her.

“Really?” Ruby asked as she tried to catch her breath.

Annie nodded. “Thank god”

Annie looked at Ruby. When Ruby had caught her breath, Annie noticed a smile on Ruby’s face. One that wouldn’t go.

“Who is he?” Annie asked with excitement

“Who is who?” Ruby asked, confused

“The boy you’ve got your sights set on” Annie asked

“No one” Ruby replied. Annie raised her eyebrow. “I’m serious, there is no boy”

“Right, so tell me why you have a smile on your face like a Cheshire cat?”

“Angelo bought a house for us to live in, and he’s going to propose to mum” Ruby said, the excitement spilled out of her

“Oh my god!” Annie replied, joining Ruby with a smile on her face

“When was all this?” Annie asked

“Angelo got the house early this week, and he asked me a couple of days ago if it was ok for him to marry mum. I don’t think he realises that he should ask Ross”

“So when is he going to ask her?”

“I don’t know. I hope its soon. I cant hold it in any longer!”

At Tony’s house….

“Where did you go yesterday?” Rachel asked as she walked in to the kitchen

“I went an helped Angelo” Tony replied

“Do what?”

“Sort something out”

“Sort what out?” Rachel asked

“Rach, please. I cant tell you because you’ll tell Leah and Leah will tell Irene and Colleen will over hear the whole thing. I, you, don’t ask” Tony replied and quickly walked out of the kitchen

At Noah’s….

“Where did you get to yesterday?” Leah asked Miles

“I was with Tony and Angelo”

“Doing what?” Leah asked

“Men stuff. You wouldn’t like to hear about it” Miles replied, beginning to walk away

Leah grabbed his arm “Try me”

“Just, looking in stores, buying CD’s… you’re not believing me are you?” Miles asked as he saw Leah put her hands on her hips and raise her eyebrow.

“No. I’m not. What did you get up to?”

“I can’t tell you” Miles said

“Why not?” Leah asked

“Because you’ll blab to anyone who will listen, in particular Colleen and then that’ll be it. So no” Miles replied, then he walked off.

Leah watched him walk out of Noah’s.

Archived