To Trust Again

Guest callyha

Chapter 21

At the (city) police station…

Photos of the night of the fire were layed out on the table.

One of the photos was of the room where the can and the necklace were found.

Officer Peterson picked it up. “Is there any surveillance footage of this room?”

“Were unsure. The owner of the bar says there are surveillance cameras operating the grounds, but the camera covering that room and the corridor has been faulty for a few weeks” Davidson said

“Right. Going down there yesterday didn’t help us. We’re going to have to try again. This time focusing on getting those tapes” Peterson said

“I’ll work on that sir. You look at the photos” Davidson said as he grabbed his coat.

At the bar…

“Davidson” He said, showing his badge. Entering the bar he looked around.

“Can I help you?” asked a woman

“Yes. I’m detective Davidson” he said showing his badge. The woman gave him a look. “I’m looking for the surveillance footage of the night of the fire”

“Right. Sure. Follow me” the woman said as she showed Davidson to the office.

“Here’s all the tapes. The one marked dud is from the faulty camera. If it shows you nothing toss it. We don’t want it back” The woman said as she pointed out the tapes to Davidson.

Back at the station…

“Fire!”

Customers flied the bar.

“We’ve seen this one three times already. This shows us nothing we really need. Try another one” Peterson said.

Davidson placed another tape in the player.

The tape began. Fuzzy lines appeared across the screen, making it difficult to see what was going on.

Glass broke. A figure stepped into the room. Getting down on their knees the opened a box. …the screen went black… fire engulfed the room. A ping was heard as an item of jewelery fell to the floor.

“God damn it!” Peterson said as he realised an important part of the film was missing.

“Get this to processing, maybe they can salvage the rest of the film”

The man paced outside the bar. Waiting for the officer to leave.

His hand bandaged up from the glass. Blood had seeped through and was dripping to the floor.

The man looked over to the door. The officer left.

Walking to the bar, the man entered. Looking around to see if there was anyone. No one was around. Walking carefully through the ruins of the bar, he made his way to the room. Looking on the floor he found nothing. Making fists with his hands he resisted hitting the wall. A sudden noise from the bar area made the man look. Turning around he saw the hole. Climbing through he ran down the street.

At the hospital…..

“I need some help!” the man said as he walked to reception.

“What’s the problem?” Julie Cooper asked

Opening his hand, the man showed her his hand.

“Come in here, I’ll treat you here.” Julie took the man into the side room.

Carefully removing the bandage Julie began asking the man a few questions.

“Can you tell me how you did this?”

“I’m a glass fitter. And the glass broke in my hand. I did have a piece stuck in, but I took it out. Son-of-a-bitch was killing me” The man said

“How long ago was this?”

“Yesterday”

“And you’ve come here now”

“Look just treat me and then let me go. Is that so hard to do?” the man rudely said

Julie looked at his “I need to know for infection. The longer a wound like this is left, the more likely it is for infection”

“Why didn’t you say that then” the man retorted.

Cleaning the wound up Julie noticed a flake of ash embedded in the dried skin. Using tweezers she took the flake out.

“Was that necessary?”

“Infection” Julie replied. Sick of his attitude.

Wrapping his hand in sterile bandages, Julie asked for the mans name.

“Why do you need to know?”

“Insurance reasons. So what is your name?” Julie asked

“Walker Trenton” the man replied

“Thank you” Julie said

“Can I go?”

“When you’ve signed these”

Walker signed the papers and left the corner room. Walking down the corridor he saw into a woman’s room. A man was sitting with her. Anger filled his face.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 22

On the beach…..

“Leah! Wait up!” Miles shouted as he ran after Leah.

Leah stopped. Looking at the sky she wiped the tears from her face and turned around.

“You can’t say something like that and then run off” Miles said as he got level with Leah.

“What should I have done then Miles? You’re taken aback by what I said. I’m obviously making a fool of myself” Leah said, about to turn off again.

“No you’re not. Leah. You have been treated like crap, left by the man you loved, and you’re still here. Only stronger” Miles said with his hands on Leah’s shoulders.

“I don’t feel strong. I can’t do anything without thinking that it’s all going to blow up in my face” Leah wiped her eyes and sighed.

“Leah, you’ll find someone that will treat you the way you are supposed to be treated. Loved the way you’re supposed to loved” Miles told her.

“No I can’t. I’ve lost what I had with you”

“How? How have you lost what you’ve had with me?” Miles asked

“I walked away. I walked away from you when you were trying to help. You didn’t deserve that”

“Leah, you were left standing at the altar. If I were you I’d swear of men!. But the fact your worried about never having that connection with another man, clearly shows you’re a stronger woman than I am”

Leah smiled.

“A smile. See you do remember how to smile”

“Miles..”

Leah took a step forward. Placing her hands on his face, she brought him closer to her.

On the path near Tony’s….

“Hey Rach” Tony shouted as he walked out of his door.

Rachel suddenly stood up and began to walk.

“Have you been there since the phone rang?” Tony asked. Rachel never said a word.

“Take that as a yes”

“Sorry. I just.. I dropped something” Rachel said as she thought of a lie

“You got it now?” Tony asked

“Yea. Erm, Tony. That picture..”

“It freaked you out?” Tony asked, looking embarrassed for still having it

“Why do you still have it?”

“The truth?” Tony asked. Rachel nodded her head.

“When I left for Sydney, I looked at my camera. That picture was still on it. We hadn’t got the pics developed. Anyway, I looked over at a couple who looked into each others eyes with so much love, you know? And I got jealous. I knew I’d never have that when I got back. You’d have moved on. And I guess I wanted a reminder that I was happy. I’ll take it down” Tony’s head sank. Rachel wiped the tears from her face.

“Don’t you dare” Rachel said

“What?”

“You heard me. Don’t take it down”

“But its kinda inappropriate”

“Why?” Rachel asked

“Were not together anymore” Tony said, upset.

Silence fell between the two.

“We were good together” Rachel said

“The best” Tony smiled

Rachel’s eyes glazed over with tears.

“Paul, was a jerk. He didn’t deserve you” Tony said as he placed his hand tenderly on Rachel’s chin, raising her head.

“I never had what we had with Paul” Rachel told Tony

“What?”

“With you I had everything; love, honesty, comfort, everything that I needed. I never got any of that from him”

“”I’m sorry Rach” Tony said with a tear running down his face

“Me too”.

Rachel looked into Tony’s eyes.

Tony looked into Rachel’s eyes.

Slowly moving closer together.

In the hospital corridor…

Walker followed the movements in the room until the door shut. Anger filled his entire body.

In Charlie’s room…

“How you coping?” Angelo asked as he looked at Charlie

“I’d be a lot better if I could leave. I’ve got a really bad feeling something bad is going to happen” Charlie said. Her hands shaking as she did so.

Angelo walked over to Charlie. Charlie’s hands still shook, but they stayed where they were.

“Charlie” Angelo took Charlie’s hands. The corner of Charlie’s mouth lifted into a smile. “ Nothing is going to happen to you. I wont let it”

Charlie slanted her head and wiped a tear from her face.

“Has there been any word from Ruby? I heard she was back” Charlie said, changing the subject.

“I haven’t seen her myself, but she seems alright. No one’s told me other wise” Angelo told Charlie. A smile appeared on her face.

In the corridor..

“Mr. Trenton, I’m sorry but you’re going to have to leave the hospital now please” Julie Copper as Walker as she walked around from the corner. Walker walked away. Looking back, he glared at Julie.

In Charlie’s room…

“I can call Ruby if you want?” Angelo asked

“Would you?” Charlie smiled. Angelo nodded and stood up. Charlie grabbed his hand. “Not yet. Wait. Please?” Charlie asked. Angelo smiled and nodded.

“Charlie? When are you going to come forward?” Angelo asked

“About what?”

“About Warren?”

“Don’t ever mention that name to me!” Charlie screamed, throwing Angelo’s hands away.

“I’m sorry” Angelo said as he sat on the bed and held Charlie close. Charlie cried hard as she nestled herself into his chest.

Angelo closed his eyes as he let Charlie be.

Chapter 23

Thank you for the comments guys!! :)

In Miles’ bedroom….

Laying next to each other, Leah and Miles remained in an awkward silence. Both wanting to smile.

“That.. Was.. Interesting” Miles said as he cleared his throat.

“I gotta go” Leah said as she began to get out of bed

“Leah, you don’t have to go” Miles said as he sat up

“Yes I do. This shouldn’t have happened. I’m sorry” Leah said as she put her clothes on. Running down the stairs, Leah nearly knocked into Nicole, who was in the kitchen.

“Hey Leah? You alright?” Nicole asked as she looked at Leah

“Yea I’m fine” Leah answered, not looking back.

Miles came down the stairs. Walking over to the couch he sighed and flopped on to the seat.

“Are you ok?” Nicole asked as she stood behind the couch

“What? Oh, yea, I’m fine”. Miles stared at the floor in front of him. Nicole rolled her eyes and walked away. Miles smiled when he thought of what had just happened.

At Leah’s house…

Walking into the front room, Leah sat on her couch. Covering her mouth with her hands she stared at the floor. Thinking about what had just happened. A smile appeared over her face. Leah looked up. On the fire place, next to a picture of VJ she saw the picture of her and Miles at the beach with the others. Realising that what they had done felt right, she grabbed her keys.

At Tony’s house…

“Do you have to got to work?” Tony said to Rachel with a whiney voice

“Yes, I do” Rachel said through puckered lips. Tony smiled at her.

“So are you coming around after your shift?” Tony asked

“Maybe” Rachel teased.

Rachel walked out of Tony’s room and out of the house. Tony layed back down in bed and smiled.

Walking into the kitchen he saw the picture of them in the sunset. Picking the picture up he hung it on the wall. Still smiling.

At the hospital…

Rachel sat down at the desk to write something in someone’s file. She wrote three words. Looking up she saw a couple walk past holding their baby. Smiling she looked back down at her desk and saw the picture of her and Tony at the beach with the others. Placing her finger on Tony she smiled.

In Charlie’s room….

“I can go get Ruby for you now, if you want?” Angelo said as he looked at Charlie

“Yea. Please” Charlie smiled. “You’ll come back to?” Charlie asked

“Of course I will” Angelo replied. Slowly moving towards Charlie he placed a kiss on her forehead. Not flinching, Charlie smiled as Angelo’s lips touched her forehead.

Angelo closed the door behind him. Charlie looked to her table near the bed and saw the necklace Angelo had got for her. Picking it up, she ran her finger over the inscription. Smiling, she put the necklace on.

In the corridor….

Angelo put his phone to his ear. With the ringing tone running through his phone, he smiled when he looked at Charlie’s door.

At the door of another room a man was stood watching Angelo. Intensely watching his every move.

“Hi Ruby it’s Angelo…. She’s alright…. I was going to call you sooner but Charlie….. Sorry Ruby I was doing what Charlie said…. Yea she wants to see you. Are you coming?…. Good, I’ll see you soon… ok, bye” Angelo hung up. Heading back to the door he glanced over to his right. Seeing the man look down the corridor. At him.

Angelo looked back to the door, and then to his right. The man had gone. Angelo shook his head, thinking he had imagined seeing the man. Opening the door he smiled at Charlie. Charlie smiled back at him.

Chapter 24

At the (city) police station….

Davidson walked into Peterson’s room carrying a file.

“You might want to look at this” Davidson said as he placed the file on Peterson’s desk.

Peterson opened the file. In it was stills of the video tape.

“That’s are guy! Send out this picture to every airport, police station and hospital. If he tries to do a runner we’ll get him!” Peterson said as he slammed his hand down on the desk.

Peterson’s phone rang.

“Peterson…. Yes…. When was this?…. Is it still there?…. Right I’m on my way…”

“What was that?” Davidson asked as he turned from the door

“Mandy, the owner of the bar. She found blood droplets in the back room. They look fresh”

Davidson and Peterson got in their car and headed for the bar.

At the hospital……

“Rachel? Is this programme down or something?” Julie asked as she was sat at the computer

“No. Why?” Rachel asked as she stood behind Julie

“I’m trying to run the name Walker Trenton. It’s the man I told you about”

Rachel nodded as she remembered. “Try it again” Rachel said.

The phone rang.

At the bar…..

“We spoke on the phone, I’m..”

“Detective Peterson and Davidson? I know who you are” Mandy said as she looked at the men

“Can we go straight through?”

“Knock yourself out” Mandy said as she pointed them to the room.

Peterson walked to the room.

Davidson stayed with Mandy.

In the room….

Peterson looked down at the floor. He saw the blood droplet. Taking out a saw kit from his pocket, he took a sample of the blood.

In the bar area….

“When did you notice it there?”

“Five minutes before I called you. I went in there to move a few more things before we tare this place down. I looked down and saw the blood”

“Did you see or hear anything?” Davidson asked

“I saw nothing, I was in the office, clearing the stuff out of there. But I did hear a slight bang. I just put it down to the wind, seem as though I have no wall through there” Mandy replied

“And you didn’t think to check it out?”

“What the wind?” Mandy said

“it could have been someone”

“ I doubt it. Ever since that fire no one cares about this place. There’s only you two that’s been here”

Mandy turned around and walked into the office.

Peterson emerged from the room.

“Find out anything?” he asked as he got the keys out of his pocket

“Not really. This place is been torn down. And that she didn’t see anything, but she heard something, saying it could be the wind”

“Well the ’wind’ as she calls it was the owner of this blood. And I’m guessing the person who started the fire”

“How do you get that?”

“A piece of jewelery was dropped on the night of the fire. This person has then realized they have dropped the jewelery and come back to get it. That been when Mandy heard the ’wind’”

“So you’re saying the arsonist came back a second time in order to recover a piece of evidence, and in doing so, left us with a DNA sample”

Peterson nodded “And they say rookies are crap”.

Chapter 25

At the hospital…… 2:15pm (Wednesday)

“That was detective Peterson from city police. They have a blood sample from the bar where the fire took place. They’re coming in within the next half an hour to look at our database” Rachel told Julie.

“They took there time. Its been a week since the fire” Julie pointed out.

“I know. But they’ve got something now, so we have to co-operate”.

At Angelo’s house…… (Wednesday morning)

“I can’t believe he trashed the place” Charlie said as she cried “ that was my home”

“You can stay here. Al least until you get back on your feet” Angelo said as he comforted Charlie.

“I’m beginning to think the hospital would be better”

Angelo’s face dropped.

“You can’t hide away for ever Charlie”

Charlie never spoke. She just sat there.

Angelo’s phone rang.

“Rosetta….oh, hi… yea she’s home…. Is that why you didn’t come to the hospital?…. Ok…see you then…bye” Angelo hung up. “That was Ruby. She’ll be round soon”

“Ok” Charlie murmured, slightly smiling.

Angelo’s phone rang again. Rosetta…yes…I’ll be in as soon as I can” Angelo hung up. “That was work. I gotta go in. I wont go until Ruby gets here” Angelo said as he sat down next to Charlie. Charlie smiled at him.

In Charlie’s room….. 3:15 (Tuesday)

“Charlie..”

“No, wait. Can I go first?” Charlie said as she held her hand up.

“Sure” Angelo replied

“I never thanked you for rescuing me” Charlie began to speak, a tear fell down her face

“You don’t have to thank me Charlie”

“Yes I do” Charlie closed her eyes, tears dropped from her eyes. Charlie lifted her head “Do you know what I was thinking about when I was laying there, on the floor?”

“No” Angelo said looking at Charlie.

“Us” Charlie looked into Angelo’s eyes. “Us on that day at the beach. How happy we were, how in love we were” Charlie looked away as another tear fell down her face.

Angelo turned Charlie’s face slightly so she was facing him. Using his thumb he wiped her tears away.

Charlie looked into Angelo’s eyes again. Smiling at each other they moved closer together.

A knock at the door caused them to pull apart.

Chapter 26.

Hope you enjoy!

At the hospital…. (Wednesday 2:35pm)

“Detective Peterson. This is my colleague Detective Davidson. We called earlier about running a check through your database” Peterson said as he introduced himself

“Yes, I’m Dr. Rachel Armstrong, I took the phone call. Now, we are aware that we have to work along side you in this investigation, but you need to understand that we have to be told everything. Not for the fact that most of the people in here were involved in the fire, but we may have treated that person, and they may have to return. Its our policy” Rachel told them

“We understand. Are you the head of this department? Or is there someone else I go to?” Peterson asked

“No. I’m in charge. If you’d follow me I’ll take you to a more private area” Rachel showed the officers to a room filled with files.

“Can we use the computer please?” Peterson asked as he pointed at the computer.

“Yes, I’ll just put the password in for you” Rachel went to the computer and opened it for them. “I’ll leave you two to it. I’ll be back in a few minutes”

Rachel left the room. Peterson sat at the computer and began his search.

Rachel was stood writing in a patients file when…

“Surprise!”

Rachel jumped as she got startled. “Tony what you doing here?”

“I was near by and thought I’d come see you” Tony said as he smiled at Rachel. Rachel smiled back.

They were still finding themselves going through awkward periods of time, but they knew there was something there between them.

“So you free tonight?” Tony asked

“Erm, yea I think so. Unless I get asked to work on” Rachel replied

“Say no” Tony paused “Would you like to come to dinner at my place?” He asked.

“I’d like that” Rachel nodded “What time?”

“Great, about 8? Is that ok?”

“8 works for me. See you then” Rachel smiled

Tony smiled back and walked away. Punching the air as he left the hospital.

At the caravan park…..

Miles was stood with a bucket and mop, looking at a caravan that hadn’t been cleaned in a few years. Sighing, he put the bucket down and rung the mop out.

“Miles”

Miles turned around to where the voice came from. Stood there was Leah.

“Leah. Hey” Miles said

“Hey…Look, the reason I came here was, was, I’m sorry that I ran off on Sunday. It was rude” Leah said as she looked at Miles

“Leah, its ok. Everything happened so fast. I couldn’t keep up”

“No Miles, its not. I’ve treated you like dirt and you’re still here, willing to talk to me”

“Leah..”

“Miles, I love you” Leah said as she looked lovingly at Miles.

Miles stood in shock.

“Mum!” Ruby shouted as she entered Charlie’s house. Looking around she saw the house had been trashed. Holes were in the walls, furniture was thrown around the room. Ruby’s mouth opened with shock as she saw all the rooms. Looking at the floor she saw a picture of Charlie. Charlie was stood looking in Angelo’s eyes. Ruby then looked again and saw droplets of blood on the floor. “No!” She gasped. Running out of the house she took her phone out of her pocket.

“Angelo, its Ruby. Where’s mum?… Oh thank god! I’ve just been at the house, its trashed!… when did you go?…. Is she there now?… right, I’m coming over” Ruby hung up. Running as fast as she could, she headed to Angelo’s.

Chapter 27

In the hospital computer room….

“Nothing, damn!” Peterson said as he slammed his hand on the desk.

“Are you sure?”

“Yes I’m sure. Wait a minute, get that Rachel in here, maybe she can help”

Davidson walked out of the room and went to desk.

“I’m looking for Rachel Armstrong” Davidson asked Julie

“She finished her shift. Is there anything I can help you with?” Julie asked as she stopped what she was doing.

“Maybe. Would you come with me please?”

Julie followed Davidson into the room. Peterson looked over.

“Where’s Rachel?”

“Her shift finished. So if I can help you with anything.” Julie asked as she stood looking at Peterson.

“Well I suppose it can’t hurt. We have collected a sample of blood, which we can’t match on our database or yours”

“So?”

“Have you had anyone come in with an injury to an arm, a leg, a hand, fingers? Anything that you can help us with?”

“A man came in here on Saturday night, with a hand injury. He tried to sort it out for himself, but I wasn’t clean enough”

“Did you get a looked at the man?”

“He was tall, broad, had dark eyes and hair, and a voice that sent chills down you”

“Did he say how he’d done it?”

“The man said that he cut himself of glass, saying that he works with glass and it broke in his hand. I believed him too until I found what looked like ash, in the dried blood” Peterson looked up. “What did you just say?”

“About what? The ash?” Julie asked, puzzled

“Yea. Did you take a sample? Keep it? Run it?” Peterson asked

“I placed it on a testing strip. Why?”

“Do you still have that strip?”

“Yes.”

“Can we have it please?” Peterson asked.

At Tony’s house…..

Rachel walked up to the door. She couldn’t wipe the smile off her face. Closing her hand into a fist, she knocked on the door.

“Just a sec!” Tony shouted.

Rachel ran her hands through her hair, making sure it was perfect. Tony got to the door.

“Hey” Tony said as he opened the door

“Hey” Rachel replied as she waited for the invitation in.

“Come in” Tony said after staring at Rachel for a while.

“Thanks. Something smells good” Rachel said as she breathed in the aroma.

“Thanks. It’s mushroom cannelloni”

Rachel’s expression turned to shock

“You remembered” Rachel said

“Sure did”

After the meal, Rachel helped Tony clean the kitchen.

“So, tell me the truth. Did you make it or buy it?” Rachel asked

“What? Excuse me, I made it” Tony said, shocked that Rachel asked that question.

Rachel laughed.

The two headed for the couch.

Three hours later….

“Oh god, I’d better be going” Rachel said as she looked at her watch.

“Do you have to go?” Tony asked

“Yes, I’m doing the early shift tomorrow” Rachel said as she looked at Tony.

“Stay” He said, catching Rachel of guard

“What?”

“You heard me. Stay” Tony said

Rachel stood for a moment. “Are you sure?”

“Rach, there’s nothing I want more” Tony said as he stood

“For how long?” Rachel asked

“That depends”

“On who?”

“You”

“Me? Why?”

“Rachel, I’m still in love with you. And the night of the fire made me realise that I could have lost you. I never wan that feeling again. I love you so much and want to be with you” Tony said as he took Rachel’s hands.

“Tony..”

Tony’s head dropped.

“I love you to” Rachel said as she lifted his head up.

The two smiled at each other. Tony lifted Rachel up, before passionately kissing her.

At Angelo’s house…..

“Mum!” Ruby shouted as she ran through the door. Charlie turned around in her seat. Slowly getting up as she saw Ruby for the first time in nearly four months.

“Mum” Ruby whispered. The two walked over to each other and held each other in a tight hug. Tears fell down their cheeks as they embraced one another.

“Ruby, I’m so sorry” Charlie cried, still holding Ruby

“What are you sorry for?” Ruby asked

“For everything. If I had listened to you, or left him, you wouldn’t have gone” Charlie said as Charlie and Ruby pulled apart

“Don’t be sorry. It was that bastard. He treated you like s***. never once loved you” Ruby said as she fought of her tears.

“But I put you in danger” Charlie cried

“Mum, no, no you didn’t. I’m fine, he never got me. I just wish I could have help you” Ruby said as she wiped Charlie’s tears away

“I’m the parent, I’m supposed to look out for you, not the other way around”

“So? Mum, you can’t blame yourself. He’s gone now. And you have Angelo and me here to help. We’ll always be here for you” Ruby said, with a lone tear falling down her face.

Charlie looked up at Ruby, her eyes looking in to Charlie’s with such love.

Angelo walked over and placed his hands on Charlie’s shoulder. “We’re here” He whispered.

The three of them stood, hugging with Charlie in the middle.

Chapter 28

At (Yabbie Creek) police station….

Charlie walked through the door. Taking a deep breath as she walked over to the desk. Angelo was right behind her.

“This feels strange” Charlie said as she grabbed the edge of the desk

“Strange how?” Angelo asked as he stood next to Charlie

“I don’t know. Maybe its just because I haven’t been here for a while” Charlie smiled at Angelo

“Welcome back Charlie” An officer said to Charlie when he walked out of the interview room

“Thanks” Charlie said

Georgina walked over to Charlie. Hugging her she said “Glad to have you back”

They pulled apart and Georgina headed for the door. Charlie smiled and took out some paper work. Reading over it she realised it was a report of the fire. Wiping her face she tried to get the image of that night out of her mind. Turning around she saw the wanted board. Looking at one of the pictures, she shook with fear. Letting out a cry she fell to the floor and cowered in a corner. Angelo ran in to the main entrance when he heard Charlie. Walking around the back he saw Charlie.

“Charlie? What happened?” Angelo asked as he sat next to Charlie, holding her as she shook.

Lifting her arm up she pointed at the picture. Her hand shook with terror.

At the hospital…..

“And what did the man say his name was?” Peterson asked Julie as he put the swab in his briefcase

“He said his name was Walker Trenton”

“Thank you. If we have any further questions or if you remember anything else, this is our contact number” Peterson said as he handed Julie a card.

The two officers walked away. Julie couldn’t believe the day she had just had.

“Bill. I’m finishing my shift early. I’m taking sick leave!” Julie said as she walked to the locker room.

At the diner…..

“I’m really happy for you darl. You and Miles have always meant to be” Irene said as she hugged Leah

“Thanks. I only wish we realised this a few years ago, then Ian would never have happened” Leah said

Irene smiled “Yea, well, you cant dwell on the past. Think of now”

Leah smiled. Irene walked back into the kitchen.

Miles walked into the diner. Leah walked over to him and kissed him

“Hey, what was that for?” Miles asked. Stunned.

Leah said nothing she just smiled.

Taking each others hands they walked out of the diner and along the beach. Leah stopped dead when she saw Ian.

At Tony’s house….

Tony and Rachel had a glass of wine in their hand. Looking into each others eyes they couldn’t stop smiling.

“This feels right” Tony said to Rachel as he stroked her arm

“I know what mean. I can’t believe its taken this long” Rachel replied. “What am I going to do about Paul?”

“Paul?”

“Well, I am still married to the guy” Rachel pointed out

“O crap. You are aren’t ya” Tony replied “Get a divorce”

“How? I don’t know where he is”

“See if Charlie and Angelo can use police means to find him”

“Yea, I could do that. He’ll probably be on a beach with that stick-insect”

Tony laughed “It’s not funny. In heat she could shrivel up” Tony laughed even more.

“Come on”

Rachel said as she stood up

“Where we going?” Tony asked

“To the police station. See if Charlie or Angelo can help” Rachel said as she grabbed Tony’s hand and dragged him up.

At Angelo’s house…

“What happened?” Ruby asked Angelo as she walked in to the room and saw Charlie rocking back and forth whilst shaking.

“We went to work and she looked over at the wanted board and saw a picture of a man city police believe is the person who caused the fire. She screamed, and when I found her she was like this. In a corner under the desk in reception”

Ruby looked at Charlie. Ruby new that sight all to well..

“Mum? Mum, its Ruby” Ruby said as she slowly sat down next to Charlie. Charlie took her arms from around her legs and locked her arms around Ruby. Her grip was strong.

Ruby turned to Angelo. Mouthing the words ‘What did the man look like’

Angelo took the picture out of his pocket and showed Ruby. Horror swept across Ruby’s face.

Chapter 29

At the beach…..

Ian walked over to where Leah and Miles were. Miles looked at Leah and then to Ian. Leah looked at Ian with hatred in her eyes.

“Leah, babe. How are you?” Ian said as he raised his hand to Leah’s shoulder

“Don’t touch me” Leah said as she moved her shoulder away from Ian.

“What’s wrong?” Ian asked

“What’s wrong? Are you kidding? You leave me at the altar on our wedding day and you have the nerve to ask me what’s wrong!?” Leah said angrily.

“Leah, that was months ago” Ian said, trying to brush it off.

“So? You think that you can do that to me and think you can waltz back into my life?”

Ian nodded

“No. you had your change. And you blew it. No second chance” Leah said as she shook her head.

Ian looked Miles up and down. “So you’ve chosen him over me? He’s a scruff!”

Miles stood in shock. Looking down at himself to see if he were a scruff.

“He’s my scruff! And he loves me in a way that you can never love another human being!” Leah spat

“What? The only reason he loves you is for money! Look at him! He’s a slob!” Ian shouted

Leah stepped forward, using all her strength, she punched Ian. Ian flew back with the force. Cupping his nose in his hands he glared at Leah. Miles laughed uncontrollably.

“You shouldn’t have done that!”

“Yea? Well you shouldn’t have broken my heart! Bastard!” Leah said. And with that she took Miles’ hand and carried on walking. Miles looked back and gave him a smug grin.

“You don’t think I’m a scruff do you?” Miles said as he pulled on his shirt again

“I love you because of who you are Miles. Not because of how you dress. Forget about Ian, I have” Leah replied.

Miles smiled at Leah and then kissed her.

At the court house….

“Hearing what your client has said, and seem as though Paul Newman hasn’t shown up, I have no alternative but to grant you your divorce. Are you sure you don’t want any of the assists gained during your marriage?”

“No I don’t, your honor” Rachel said with a smile on her face.

Leaving the courtroom, Rachel ran in to Tony’s arms.

“It’s over! Everything is finally over!” Rachel said with delight

“I reckon this calls for a romantic meal out” Tony suggested

“Yea, sounds good!” Rachel said. Still grinning from ear to ear.

“Detective Peterson…yes….Angelo Rosetta? What did he want?….when was this?….right…Charlie Buckton and she is?….and she can be found?…..right, thank you, I’ll go check those addresses out” Peterson hung up the phone. “Davidson!”

Davidson came into the room

“Yes sir?” Davidson asked

“Officer Watson from Yabbie Creek police station has just phoned saying that her colleagues may know who our guy is. We’re going there now to ask them some questions. Get your coat”

Davidson and Peterson made there way to their car. Davidson put the siren on and they sped away.

At Angelo’s house…..

“That must be the detectives” Angelo said as he heard police sirens blaring

“Can you talk to them for me. I don’t want to look at that picture or say his name” Charlie said as she moved closer to Ruby.

“Mum, we’ll be here, right beside you the whole time” Ruby assured Charlie

“Thanks Rubes, but I don’t think its enough” Charlie said with a tear rolling down her face.

There was a knock on the door.

“Detective Peterson, this is my associate detective Davidson. We received a call from a colleague of yours saying you may know who we are looking for. May we come in?” Peterson asked Angelo

Angelo showed them in.

Charlie looked up at the two officers.

“Charlie?” Peterson asked

Charlie nodded

“Are we alright talking to Charlie alone” Peterson said to Ruby and Angelo

“No, they stay. This is my daughter and my…. Friend” Charlie told Peterson

Angelo disappointingly smiled

“Ok. We understand you know or may know who this man is” Peterson asked Charlie and showed him the picture. Charlie’s grip on Ruby’s hand intensified. Nodding she looked away.

“Miss, we need you to tell us who this man is” Davidson asked

“W…Warren.. Tendril” Charlie said, with a broken voice.

“Thank-you. I know that was hard to say, but your boyfriend..”

“He is not my boyfriend!” Charlie snapped

“Calm down” Davidson said as he reached for his handcuffs

“Don’t call him that!” Charlie cried

Ruby tried to calm her down, whilst Angelo showed the two men out.

“She did the right thing” Peterson told Angelo

“It might have been the right thing. But it was also the most tormenting two words Charlie has had to mention in a long time” Angelo replied

“Sorry?” Peterson asked

“Research the name, I’m sure you’ll find lots on this guy”

“If there is anything else, we need to know about it” Davidson added

“Just keep him away from this house. And especially away from Charlie” Angelo warned.

Angelo closed the door and went in to the front room. Charlie cried out as she shook in fear in Ruby’s arms. Ruby had tears streaming down her face. Looking up at Angelo for answers she held out her hand for him.

Chapter 30.

There are two way phone conversations in this chapter, they are in color.

At Miles’ house…

“Where’s the milk? Who had the milk?” Nicole asked as she stood looking in the fridge

“Sorry, that was me” Leah said as she held a cup up

“Great! What am I supposed to put on my cereal?”

“Nicole, the store is only down the road. It doesn’t take long to buy some milk” Miles told Nicole

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to snap. Leah I’m sorry” Nicole said as she looked at Leah

“Its alright” Leah said

Leah watched Nicole as she walked back upstairs. Getting up from her seat she followed Nicole.

“What?” Nicole asked as she heard a knock at the door

“Can I come in?” Leah said through the door

“I guess” Nicole sadly said

“What’s wrong?” Leah asked as she walked over to Nicole’s bed and sat down.

“Nothing” Nicole replied

Leah gave Nicole a look.

“Its Aden” Nicole sighed “He’s got a trawling job that will take him away for three months. When he told me he said he had three weeks before he had to go”

“And how long has he got now?” Leah asked

“That’s the thing. His boss has changed the date to tomorrow.” Nicole had a tear fall down her face

“Where is he now?”

“At the docks getting a briefing. They leave 6:00am”

“Aww, Nic” Leah held Nicole in her arms.

“Anyway. How are you and Miles doing?” Nicole asked as she broke free from Leah’s arms

“We’re good, thanks.”

“Thinking of the next step?” Nicole smiled

“No”

“Come on. You cant seriously tell me that after everything you two have been through in the last few years, you’re not going to waste anytime with taking things slow”

“Nicole. Its been years since we were last together. We can slip back into how everything was. I wish we could”

“Leah. You and Miles are supposed to be together. Why wait?”

Leah sat silently for a moment. She was ready for the next step, it felt right. But she didn’t know what Miles felt.

“I don’t know if Miles is ready”.

On the beach….

Leah sat on the beach playing with the sand. Thinking of Miles she smiled.

At Tony’s house….

“I can’t believe it” Rachel said as she stared at her left ring finger. “I can’t believe that thing is not there anymore” She smiled at Tony .

“You should has got his car. I could a done with a sporty thing like that” Tony said as he mimicked a car

“You big kid” Rachel laughed

Tony stood up straight. Looking at Rachel he took her by the hands “Rach? I want you to know I love you”

“I know. I love you too” Rachel replied

“Move in with me” Tony blurted out

“What?” Rachel said, shocked

“Move in with me” Tony repeated

“Tony, I don’t know what to say” Rachel gazed into Tony’s eyes. “Yes” she said.

On the bench looking at the beach….

Rachel sat on a rock, looking at the horizon. She smiled when she thought of her and Tony living together.

At Noah’s…..

Rachel and Leah both sat down and told each other about what had happened.

“Congratulations! You got a divorce. Wow, I bet that feels great” Leah said as she sipped her drink

“It does. I never have to think about that pig, ever again. It’s great!” Rachel smiled

“Speaking of pigs. Miles and I bumped into Ian on the beach” Leah told Rachel

“Oh my god. I hope you told him where to go”

“I did one better. I punched him” Leah said with sheer delight in her voice.

A phone rang… (7:30pm)

At the (city) police station……

Davidson walked in with Warren. Taking him through to the interview room, he sat Warren down.

“Detective Peterson. Interview with Warren Tendril time 18:55. Mr Tendril. Where were you on the night of May 16th?”

“I was at my house” Warren replied

“With who?”

“My girlfriend”

“Who is your girlfriend? Can she support your last answer?”

“Yes she can.”

“What is her name?”

“Charlie Buckton” Warren relied

“Really? Because she was at the bar the night of the fire. Are you sure that you were at home?”

“I was at home” Warren repeated

“Mr Tendril. You see this?” Peterson showed Warren the necklace “This was found on the floor of the room where the fire was started”

“So?” Warren asked

“This piece of jewelry belongs to Charlie Buckton. It’s engraved and has a picture of her and her mum in it”

“So? What’s that got to do with me?”

“We have surveillance footage of a man climbing through a window, setting a fire and dropping this necklace. Now you have just told me the name of the woman this necklace belongs to”

“So? Charlie was my girlfriend. We broke up when she cheated on me” Warren told Peterson

“I don’t care why you broke up. I just want to know why you set the bar on fire”

“You’ve got nothing on me. I was in that bar on the 12th. I had the necklace on me when I went to the back and it had gone when I looked again” Warren said

“We found blood droplets at the scene of the crime. Your blood”

“So?”

“You went back the day after the fire to see if you could find that necklace. But with an injured hand, you lost some blood. Blood which we later matched to you”

“Whoa! Blood? A hand injury? Don’t know what you are on about”

“Let me tell you. You go to the bar through the window. Starting the fire using a petrol can, it blows the window out and starts to burn. Moving out of the room quickly, the necklace falls out of you’re pocket and onto the floor. On the way back out of the window, you cut you’re hand. And with it, getting a piece of ash caught in the blood”

Warren shook his head.

“If you don’t speak now. Nothing you say in court will matter”

Warren sat up in his chair “F*** you”

“End of interview at 19:15”.

At the (city) police station ….(7:25)

“Sir we have a situation” Nelson told Peterson

“What is it?” Peterson asked as he rubbed his temple

“Warren Tendril. He’s escaped”

“Crap!. Get on the phone to Yabbie Creek police station, let them know. Get cars out there looking for this guy” Peterson shouted.

Picking up his mobile he looked in his phone book for Angelo Rosetta.

Angelo Rosetta

Its Peterson. We have a situation. Warren Tendril has escaped from custody

S***! I’m working tonight. What am I going to do about Charlie?

We can send a police car to her house

No, that’ll just make things worse. Leave it to me, I’ll sort it

Angelo hung up.

“What’s the matter?” Charlie asked as she looked at Angelo

“Nothing”

“Angelo, you said my name and with the word s***. what’s wrong?”

“You know that case you wanted?”

“Yea?”

“I got it”

“Damn. Why did you get it?” Charlie asked

“I don’t know. But I’d better go if I want to crack the case!” Angelo said as she kissed Charlie and ran out of the house.

Angelo took his mobile out of his pocket and scrolled down until he found Leah’s number. He pressed call.

Archived