Smoking

Guest bubbleburst

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know why people associate smoking with cancer so much! Yeah maybe it does contribute but it isn't like if you smoke you will get cancer and if you don't smoke then you wont get cancer.

I think I would only link throat,lung cancer with smoking to be honest. Its either in your genes or its not! Genetics the biggest factor of cancer, cancer can be very prevalent in some families, and some families have never been touched by the disease not even in extended families.

I do accept that smoking can be a contributing factor but its not THE factor!

I smoke occasionally. If I'm with friends who smoke (only two of my friends do and one I only see every few weeks as she doesn't live close by) then I'll smoke, otherwise I won't bother. So I can smoke about ten cigarettes in one night and then go maybe three, four weeks without smoking. I enjoy a cigarette now and again but I've never found them addictive.

I think its interesting how some people are easily addicted to smoking/nicotine and find it really hard to give up whereas others like I Love Music and myself for instance, didn't find it hard or addictive at all. I never had withdrawals and I gave up cold turkey, I just stopped and forgot all about it, then again I wasn't smoking every day... I wonder how much it has to do with the psychological and how much it has to do with psychically being addicted...

I've been looking at this thread for a while and have no strong opinions one way or another. I don't care if people smoke because most people choose to damage their own health in some way or another - smoking, drinking, drugs, over-eating, not-eating enough, reckless behavior, etc - each to their own. I just prefer it if people don't smoke around me, which I think is a common courtesy. When I'm eating a nice greasy cheeseburger, I don't rub it all over other people's faces, so I don't think I should have smoke blown in my face by smokers.

Anyway, what I really came in here to say is that you should all watch an episode of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia called "Charlie Goes America On Everybody's A**" As the title suggests, you probably shouldn't watch it if you're under 15. Charlie and Dee get upset because Dennis and Mac are smoking in the bar. Dennis and Mac say that it's un-American to have laws denying the basic rights of people who smoke, just because some people don't like it. Then they decide to turn their bar into a law-free zone so that everyone can do whatever they want, in the interest of being free Americans. This then leads to all kinds of very bad (and very funny) things happening in the bar, but Dennis and Mac's hands are tied by their own assertion that everyone should have the right to do whatever they want in a free country, and they end up having no freedom to tell other people that they don't like what's going on. Charlie eventually goes insane due to the hypocrisy and pointlessness of trying to have beliefs and change the world to reflect them, while Dennis and Mac have to bite the bullet and reinstate law and order in the bar...

after someone literally bites a bullet in a game of Russian Roulette...

Really makes you think.

• 1 month later...

I smoke and I have tried to give up but never seem to succeed. I would not be a heavy smoker but I enjoy my cigarettes every day. What annoys me about it is people think they can judge people who smoke just because they don't smoke it is nobodys business if somebody else smokes only the person who is actually smoking. That is my opinion.

And when it comes to the Health issues, my father never drank never smoked eat healthy and died of a massive heart attack explain that to me????

^^There could be a number of reasons, unhealthy diet, high blood pressure, stress, or maybe a medical condition such as diabetes. There are a number of factors that play a play...maybe genes also play a part.

I really hate it when smokers who are family members smoke in the car and don't wind the window down or just shove the smoke in our faces, I hate that.

Archived