Smoking

Guest bubbleburst

I smoked between 14 and 19, but gave up the habit then. Sometimes I smoke the odd cigarette here and there when I'm out in a pub or club. I like the smell of fresh smoke from a lit cigarette, but the smell of stale smoke on clothes or hair is really disgusting. It doesn't bother me if people smoke because it is banned in so many places here in Ireland that it is nearly impossible to be somewhere where you end up smelling like smoke or breathing other people's smoke in.

If I could afford it I'd probably smoke like a trooper so it's just as well I'm totally poor.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do smoke and what gets me is the law says we aren't allowed to smoke in pubs or clubs anymore which is fair enough, i have no problems with that. But most pubs, in my area anyway, have a seated and heated area usually outside the back of the pub where we can go smoke but when the weather is good the non smokers also decide they want to sit outside and then they complain about us smoking there too. We just can't win :angry:

I cant say ive ever had the desire to smoke, and i dont think i ever will.

I'm the same, most of my friends smoke... but I have'nt had the desire to smoke.. well I nearly caved in once but no, I dont think I ever will ever. Even though I'm friends with people who smoke, and my sisters smoke, I dont really like the smell of it though

I don't smoke, never tried it and certainly have no intention of ever trying it.

While I realise not all smokers get cancer, the fact that so many do is enough to keep me away from it. Let alone the fact that I dislike the smell, hate the stale smell of it, and have issues with the idea seeing as I'm a flautist.

As for smokers ... so long as they keep their distance, they're fine. Don't abide smoking in the house; if visitors who smoke come down, they can step outside :)

I don't smoke, never tried it and certainly have no intention of ever trying it.

While I realise not all smokers get cancer, the fact that so many do is enough to keep me away from it.

Yeah I'm the same, I dont think I will ever smoke, as my grandad, (my dads dad) he died ages ago from lung cancer, because of the amount that he smoked a day. I was very young at the time, so I dont remember him at all, but it still puts me off from not smoking.

I do smoke and what gets me is the law says we aren't allowed to smoke in pubs or clubs anymore which is fair enough, i have no problems with that. But most pubs, in my area anyway, have a seated and heated area usually outside the back of the pub where we can go smoke but when the weather is good the non smokers also decide they want to sit outside and then they complain about us smoking there too. We just can't win :angry:

Cos it's okay picking on smokers

I smoke anyway like 6 cigarettes a day /after every meal mostly and only outside.

I would quit if i could but hey you have to die from something

I tried smoking when I went to Uni, it was a very social thing...lazy afternoons in the court yard with a beer and cigarette, I also think certain people can look very classy and glamorous smoking (like the old Hollywood films), look being the word to note here, I only smoked for about 6 months (about 1 pack of 20 every 3 weeks) and realized I was only doing it because of the social interactions that came with it because I didn't enjoy it when I was on my own, so I stopped.

Now, when I think about it I wish I hadn't and I'm real glad I was only ever a casual smoker for a short period of time, and didn't smoke that much - because I think its one of the most disgusting mindless things anyone can do to their body and I dont see why and how people can smoke with the attitude that 'I'll be fine...or.. If I get cancer, I get it' or however everyone else rationalizes it. I know I would be soooooo angry with myself if I was diagnosed with cancer at age 55 or even 70 knowing I was the cause, its just doesn't make sense to end up dieing such a torturous and slow death for the sake of 'stress relief'...

I surf, go to the gym and eat a very healthy diet so now when I'm around smokers, it does irritate me not only because I'm breathing in their toxic waste (and you cant even get away from it when your waiting for a train, no matter where you stand) - but I'm irritated for them and what they are doing to their one and only body and that they are being ignorant to the health damage as they puff away...

Archived