Change

Guest brady!

Ruby's p.o.v

I have been in a hospital for three different reasons. My grandmothers death, my mothers accident and my birth. That three is going to be 100 in a few weeks. There's always a funny smell off hospitals, a smell of fear, hurt, anger and death. I guess I'm going to smell like that in a while.

I can feel the deep drowsiness over my eyes disappearing.

"Ruby, your ok, you just fainted. Your mother will be here in a few minutes."

Charlies p.o.v

Hallways. I've been down many hallways in my life but this one is really long. The next few months are going to be long. I hope Ruby will live for long.

"Ruby is right in there." smiled a nurse, pointing her finger at a door.

I wonder if I will be seeing this door again.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Charlies p.o.v

Fear. Ive seen fear in someones eyes every day of my life. Ive see it when I put the handcuffs on someones wrists, Ive seen it when I question someone, and I've seen it when I charge someone. I've never seen it in my daughters eyes until now. I've seen her angry, sad, happy, hysterical but not fearful. As I look into her eyes I wondor if I'm looking into a mirror.

My lips release one word, "Hi"

Ruby's p.o.v

35. There's 35 squares of linoleum on the floor. I've been in the hospital a meer two hours, awake for ten minutes and I've already started counting. I hate maths, I hated when I started learning numbers in school, I'll always hate maths but there's not many things you can do in a hospital. I just have to play the counting game. I can start by counting how many days I have left.

My mother stares at me, waiting for an answer, even though she didn't ask a question.

"You know don't you."

Ruby's p.o.v

Charlie nodded her head and embraced me in hug

Hugs. I've been hugged hundreds of times, some for the same reasons, some for different reasons, each hug was marked with a reason but this hug was different. It was signifying something I never felt before. Something I don't even know how to describe.

"I'm sorry for not telling you." I mumbled into Charlies shoulder.

"I forgive you...... When... When did you first realize somethng might be wrong?" whispered Charlie through her tearless cries.

"I didn't feel ok, I thought it was my diabetes, but I guess I was wrong. I was wrong."

Charlie didn't say anymore she just cradled me.

Charlies p.o.v

Time. I've spent most of my time lately regretting every wrong thing I've done. I never realized time was so precious.

As I held Ruby in my arms, I knew I was spending my time in a good way.

Charlies p.o.v

"Hello Ms.Buckton, may we speak outside." said a doctor. I nodded not knowing what to say, what to do and what to expect.

Ruby let go of my hand and gave a weak smile.

"Ms.Buckton"

I cut her off before she could finish and told her "Charlie, call me Charlie."

She smiled and continued on "Okay Charlie, I'm doctor Roberts. Ruby came to have a checkup a few weeks ago. She explained her symtoms and I ran some tests. The results showed that she has a tumor in her left cortex." Doctor Roberts waited for me to say something but I was speechless, emotionless and most of all lifeless.

"Why don't you take a seat?" she asked as she saw my face going a ghostly white colour.

"What are her chances?" I asked. Those were the four words that kept going through every single brain cell I have.

"We're not sure right now. We'll have to run more tests."

Ruby's p.o.v

Silence. I'm not a silent person, I never have been, Charlie told me a few weeks ago that when I was born, she never thought I would shut up. I always have something to talk about but what if I have no one to talk to. I used to be able to talk to Charlie but it's different now. Even if it felt ok, I don't know if I could talk to Charlie, she would want to know how I'm feeling. I don't know how I am feeling. I'm empty.

Charlie came into the room. Without any warning she pulled me into a deep embrace and whispered "I love you."

That's when my emptyness was filled with tears, lots of tears.

Archived