Shamu trainer killed

Guest Symphony

I feel sorry for the woman, but more sorry for the whale. Whales shouldn't be in captivity, they are the same as dolphins and very intelligent. No wonder they go mad with boredom or whatever, performing tricks etc all the time. I expect the whale thought it was just playing anyway and didn't mean to kill that woman.

Its like that bloody Steve Irwin :angry: As far as I saw, all he did was annoy animals, and then whaddya know? One turns round and kills him. Hm...

You should leave animals alone unless they really need help.

She was indeed aware of the risks; in fact I saw an interview where her sister said something to the tune of [not a direct quote] "Dawn loved those whales; they were like her children. She died doing something she absolutely loved; it was her life - and not many people can say that."

They're actually called killer whales because they're at the top of the food chain in the ocean not because they eat humans or anything, and, as results are now showing, Dawn was actually apparently in the middle of a session involving toys and treats with him - and he caught her pigtail, thinking it was for him, and that was how she was pulled into the water.

I didn't mean for this thread to become an attack on whales, or Sea World for that matter, and I'm a little saddened that people are jumping to conclusions and assuming that whales are dangerous / shouldn't be kept in captivity / it's their own faults etc etc etc.

Anyone who has seen Believe, or any of the other Orca shows would, I have no doubt, agree with me that the show is something magical and special; and that the whales & trainers do indeed seem to have very special relationships.

Also this whale in particular, yes, back in 1991 was responsible for <b>one</b> other death. Not two :) The second was the fault of the ridiculous human who stayed in Sea World, hidden and then climbed into the whale tank after hours - as you do.

I was expecting people to respond with empathy rather than anger and judgement :o

Don't usually comment in these threads but totally agree with Symphony here.

I've visited sea world many times and have seen Dawn perform. The love between her and the animals she cared for was clear to anyone watching.

People have been very quick to jump onto the whole "seaworld are cruel and they shouldn't keep whales in captivity" thing. Yes, they are wild animals but, as pointed out, the majority of the whales there have been born and/or raised in facilities like sea world and to let them go would not be an option. They are treated well and are not forced to perform (i've seen many a show where shamu and chums refused to perform ;) )

At the end of the day this was a tragic accident and my thoughts are with Dawn's family and her colleagues at Shamu stadium.

I wasn't saying they should be let go, just that they shouldn't be there in the first place. The people who captured the adults in the first place have created an impossible situation: wild animals who can never be freed, having babies who can't be freed etc. :blink:

I hope they won't put the whale to sleep cos it killed its trainer.

But anyway, you are right, it is sad for the trainer's family and friends, I do feel sorry for them.

Archived