Dying drug addict refused second liver transplant

Guest adellejefferiesxox

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the only drugs she took after her first transplant were anti-rejection medication, it should be taken into account that she has made an effort to kick heroin and amphetamines. If she didn't, then no, I don't think she belongs on the transplant list.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the only drugs she took after her first transplant were anti-rejection medication, it should be taken into account that she has made an effort to kick heroin and amphetamines. If she didn't, then no, I don't think she belongs on the transplant list.

Whichever drugs she had, it mentioned that she abused them after her first transplant.

I'm with some of the others - I have no sympathy. I despise drug use in general (except for medical purposes obviously)

She was given the chance of changing her life around but turned her back on it. Surely chances of rejection would be a good way to keep clean, yet she used drugs again.

Why should she get another liver, when there are plenty of people waiting for there first transplant?

I know addicts sometimes have relapses and are given multiple chances but in this case she shouldn't be able to just get another liver.

(George Best springs to mind <_<)

I have no sympathy for this woman, none at all! She chose to take the drugs in the first place and if she never started using drugs then this wouldn't have happened. It is her own fault and there is no way she should be given the opportunity of a second transplant when there are so many others who need it more than her. Okay, she had the first liver transplant... at this point she should have realised that her life was at risk and if she had any common sense she would have stopped taking drugs. Yet, now she wants another transplant, oh please! Who's to say that she won't stuff the second one up for herself? Will she then come back for a third? I don't think so.

The only ones that I feel sorry for are her kids. Two young kids whose lives will also be destroyed as a consequence of her drug taking. They're better off without her, I say.

• 1 month later...

Not sure if people have been following this story, but she was allowed to have another liver. Her aunty gave it to her, but she died anyway. I am so angry with this new article!! :angry::angry:

The family of a Perth woman who died after a controversial liver transplant is still expected to repay a loan to the State Government, says Premier Colin Barnett.

Claire Murray, 24, died in a Singapore hospital last week when doctors turned off her life-support machine after surgery to remove blood clots near her heart failed.

Ms Murray, a former heroin addict, received a live transplant using part of her aunt Carolyn's liver.

The State Government gave her family a $250,000 two-year interest-free loan to pay for the surgery, after an earlier taxpayer-funded liver transplant failed when she began using heroin again.

The mother-of-two was deemed ineligible for another liver transplant in Australia.

Mr Barnett said the family had not approached the Government about the repayment of the loan but it was expected in two years.

"That loan is like any other loan the Government may make,” Mr Barnett told ABC Radio today. "We anticipate they'll repay that money."

Health Minister Kim Hames also said today that he expected the family to repay the loan.

He would not comment on speculation that the family had used money paid to the family as part of an exclusive television deal to repay part of the loan.

Source: http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/newsh...aid-premier/10/

The way the media have set this up makes me angry. The images they choose to attach to the articles, tries to make the reader sympathise with the drug addict and the family. But it was her own fault and she should pay the loan back. I only feel sorry for her children. Her mother is basically a idioit, or blind. There are so many people out there who need a liver, who didn't abuse their bodies. It's so unfair. I wish the media and the family would stop making them out to be helplesss and victims.

• 2 months later...

Archived