The Way Back

Guest TelephotoMarigold

Chapter 40

Gabby grinned at Ella as she manoeuvred on the crutches into the kitchen.

“I’m making a list.” Ella called out.

“A hit list?” Danni asked from her position in the laundry room. She popped her head round the door and looked at Ella watching with an equal grin as the other woman nodded. “This is very funny. You have to let us help with the children now.”

“Would you like a broken leg too?” Ella grouched at them.

She looked up then and saw the front door open.

“Did someone want a school run doing?” Irene called out walking into the house with a suitcase in her hand.

“Irene?” Ella said as though she couldn’t believe it.

“Yes Darl, your Dad thought you might need some cheering up.”

Ella blinked and dropped one of the crutches.

“Oh my stars woman what have you done?” Irene gasped out.

“She played chicken with a car and lost.” Gabby murmured indicating Ella’s leg in its colourful cast, the children having drawn all over it already.

“I’m fine, it’s just a small break.” Ella said downplaying it.

“Uh huh Missy.” Irene murmured. “Looks like I turned up just in time. Where are my grandkids anyway?”

“William is in the nursery.” Gabby supplied. “Lily is on a play date with Mira. The others are still at school.”

Irene put her case to one side and moved up the stairs with Gabby leading the way.

“Hey.” Danni murmured to Ella.

“Sorry.” She gasped out wiping tears away.

“Mum.” Danni called quietly coming over and hugging her.

“I’m fine.” Ella insisted.

“Of course you are.” Danni told her. “Are you going to talk to Rachel about this?”

“This?” Ella asked her.

“Your depression.” Danni pointed out softly. “You aren’t coping Mum. It’s not just William coming home its Roman being away.”

Ella sniffed and looked at her.

“You won’t understand.” She told her. “My mother was on drugs for a long time I can’t go down that route.”

“That just tells me that you know you are depressed.” Danni murmured walking over to the fridge and taking out the jug of juice and pouring out two glasses.

Ella took a sip and eased down on a stool.

“Fine.” Ella conceded. “I am depressed.”

“Time to do something about it.” Danni told her.

“How did you get to be so pushy?” Ella muttered.

Danni reached down and picked up the fallen crutch placing it against the other one leaning against the top.

“Oh, that would be from living with you. Have you heard from Roman at all?” she asked.

Ella shook her head.

“I don’t expect too.” She confessed chewing at a fingernail. “As far as he is concerned I hate him remember.”

“That was just anger and hormones.” Danni murmured. “You and army just don’t get along. Especially after all you went through last year with Elliot and the Mark stuff.”

Ella shook her head.

“Doesn’t matter anyway. I lied to Roman and I can’t expect him to forgive me for that.” Ella said and looked up as Irene walked down the stairs carrying William.

“You have a bonny babe here.” She told her. “He is the spit of his dad.”

“Really?” Ella asked her. “But I don’t even know who that is.”

“Very funny Missy, just wait until I tell that Roman of yours that joke.” Irene said coming into the kitchen. “He’s got Roman’s eyes.”

Ella took a sip of her drink and rolled her eyes.

“One day one of my kids will look like me.” She said.

“Er hello!” Gabby muttered referring to her own likeness to her mother.

“You don’t count you have his eyes too.” Ella told her.

“Good job too.” Gabby said sticking her tongue out at Danni. “You can’t trust DNA tests these days.”

Danni sucked in a sharp breath before chuckling.

“Now then, I presume that I’ve got a bed to stay in.” Irene murmured.

“If you think you can deal with us.” Ella said tiredly. “Does he want a feed?”

“Not quite yet and I’m enjoying a cuddle for the moment.” Irene said quietly. “Your dad seemed to think you were a bit down love.”

Ella nodded feeling Danni starring at her.

“Yes she is Irene.” Gabby answered for her. “So if you could tell that husband of yours to give Roman a nudge and get him home we’d appreciate it.”

Ella shook her head blinking back more tears.

“Right then, Gabby you are fetching the kids home. Danni you are ordering Pizza and you missy are getting yourself up those stairs and laying down.” Irene instructed them.

Ella nodded and began making slow progress up the stairs.

“Now then girls is someone going to make me a cuppa I’m parched.” Ella heard Irene say as she moving into her room. She put the crutches down and lay on the bed lifting her leg in its cast on to some pillows to keep it elevated. She sighed as she lay back closing her eyes. After a moment she lifted her hand and pulled off her rings tucking them into her bedside cabinet.

Roman looked over into the darkness of the cave. There were two passages, with one of them getting more foot traffic than the other. He was hidden from sight by a pile of boxes he suspected contained more weapons watching the movement of the men inside. There was definitely someone here they were keeping prisoner but whether it was Mike or not he just did not know but he intended to find out.

He waited for an hour in the same position his legs cramping as he surveyed the cave ahead. Pulling out his knife he flexed his legs as best he could before moving around the front of the crates and taking the left tunnel towards what he believed was the makeshift hospital. He saw the prone figure lying in the bed and swore under his breath.

Hearing footsteps from behind him he searched for another hiding spot and groaned when none sprang out at him. There was no place to go apart from flattening himself back against the flat of the cave wall and hope that the dimness would shield him. He waited until they walked past him before he caught one of them in a headlock pressing the knife close to his throat.

“Move.” He hissed to the other man turning around and heading backward towards the bed. He saw the second man reach for the 9mm gun at his waist and he shook his head warningly.

“American?” the one he was holding on to grunted out.

“No mate, he’s an Aussie like me.” Mike ground out lifting a metal kidney shaped dish and knocking him unconscious with it.

Roman watched the second man reaching and taking out his gun and reacted by throwing his knife at him. The blade sank into his flesh or his neck and he sank slowly to the cave floor with a gurgle sound. As he gasped his last breath his finger depressed on the trigger and the gun fired.

Roman staggered back as the bullet tore through his shoulder and he groaned.

“Didn’t they tell you about ducking?” Mike asked clutching his side.

“Well if you hadn’t hit the first one I could have taken them both.” Roman muttered to his son.

“Now how are we going to get out of here?” he added.

“er… quickly before they come to investigate.” Mike told him before coughing.

“Let me get a look at you first.” Roman instructed pulling a bandage out of his pack and pressing the gauze pad against the wound in his shoulder.

“I’m fine. I have a slight graze on my ribs.” Mike muttered.

“Uh huh.” Roman said tying the bandage in place using his good hand and his teeth as he fastened the knot. He moved over to Mike and pulled back the sheet glancing at his side.

“You were shot.” He muttered.

“Good diagnosis Dr Harris. Can we go now before the bad guys kill us some more.” Mike said standing up slowly and moving over to the prone figures of the two soldiers. He sized up their feet and pulled off the boots of the first one putting them on his bare feet.

“Took your boots?” Roman asked watching him.

“Yeah!” Mike said. “And they were my favourite pair too,”

Roman chuckled and moved over to retrieve his knife. He picked up the gun and collected the extra ammunition clips passing them to Mike before moving over to the unconscious man and lifting him in the bed. He tied his hands and feet with strips of torn sheet then put a gag around his mouth. He covered him up with the sheet making it look like Mike was still in the bed.

“What are we doing with him?” Mike asked leaning against the wall and pointed to the dead man.

“I thought we would take him with us.” Roman said and watched as Mike gave out a small laugh.

Roman decided that he didn’t like the colour of Mike’s face. He was far too pale and it looked like he had a fever. Groaning form the pain in his shoulder he moved the dead man under the bed draping the sheet down to the stone floor.

“Very decorative.” Mike commented.

“Thanks.” Roman said with a crooked grin. “Now I have to get you out of here and home to your Mother before she comes after us.”

“Piece of cake.” Mike predicted. “I just need to rest here a moment.” He added sliding down the wall.

“Mike, did I mention the part where your Mother was threatening to come and get you? We have no time for you to rest.” Roman told him.

Mike nodded.

“You know when I was a kid and you would carry me up to bed.” Mike began.

“If this is a story about repressed memories it isn’t true I never laid a hand on you.” Roman said quickly.

“What?” Mike gasped out standing up straighter. “Good one Dad.” He added.

“Mike I’ve been shot, your mother is kind of ticked at me and I really want a cold beer so lets use my favourite Mel Gibson quote and get the flock out of here.”

Mike smiled briefly before his face paled again.

“Come on Mike.” Roman said to him. “We have to go down this tunnel and then its just a hop to the entrance.”

Mike nodded pressing a hand to his side.

“How pissed is my mother?” he asked gasping for breath.

“Wondering if it will be easier for you to wait here and be tortured instead of going home to her?” Roman asked him.

Mike nodded.

“You expect me to go home and tell her something like that?”

Mike looked at him.

“Good point.” Mike said. “I wouldn’t want to be responsible for your death.”

Roman moved over to him and checked him over.

“Mike I need to get you out of here.” He said maintaining an aura of calm despite the feeling that he needed to get Mike to medical help immediately. He checked his pack adjusting it on his injured shoulder and watched as Mike checked the gun he was holding before clicking the safety off. They moved out down the dark tunnel pausing before they reached the end.

“You have a plan?” Mike whispered.

“Yes. Let’s not get shot again.”

“That is your plan?” Mike asked disbelievingly. “All these years I thought the stories Jacko told me were BS.”

Roman glanced back at him before crouching down and looking ahead.

“Most of them were.” Roman told him. “There are crates across the other side of the cave. Think you can run that far?”

“I’ll make it.” he muttered clutching at his side.

Roman nodded and watched as the other man moved out. He waited a heartbeat before he joined him using the tarpaulin covering the crates as cover for them.

“We wait?” Mike asked.

Roman nodded.

“Guard change in an hour.” Roman said. “Possibly a chance for us to slip out in the confusion.”

“And then what?” Mike murmured sounding tired.

“Well we hop on to the waiting helicopter and head home.” Roman told him with more than a hint of sarcasm in his voice.

“You know Dad it’s great seeing you but well round about now I think I would prefer it if my mother was here.”

“And you think she would provide answers with less sarcasm?” Roman asked raising his eyebrows and grinning.

“Ok you have a point.” Mike said slowly.

Roman chuckled before checking his watch. He eased his pack off and opened pulling out the GPS tracker. Checking for signal he pressed the button sending his co-ordinates back to headquarters before putting it back in his pack and easing it back on. Picking up the gun he’d stashed earlier he checked the ammunition and switched the safety off placing the weapon on full automatic.

They watched the guards shifting out the cave and the ones they were replacing coming slowly in.

“Ready?” he asked Mike and saw him nod.

Roman moved out from behind the crates and stepped towards the opening of the cave. He checked that Mike was following. Reaching once more for his knife he approached the first guard and put his arm around the man. He heard a stream of Dari and grinned when he recognised the odd swearword. He disposed of him before racing over to where the first one was standing and used his knife again but not before he shot a round off. The sound echoed around the valley below them and Roman cursed. He spun around and grabbed hold of Mike hooking the other man up and over his shoulder in a fireman’s lift as he ran from the entrance of the cave.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 41

Roman watched as Mike was rushed away on a stretcher, George stood nearby.

“How exactly am I going to explain to my daughter you were both shot?” he asked Roman.

“Can I suggest on the back of a postcard from Alaska?” Roman suggested dark circles of fatigue around his impossibly blue eyes “How is my wife?” he asked impatiently.

“Congratulations.” George murmured. “You have a son.”

Roman nodded and then looked at the other man.

“And my wife? Please don’t tell me that something has happened to her.” he begged huskily.

“She is fine.” George said quickly.

Roman nodded once more, for once not picking up on the note in George’s voice and yawned tiredly.

“Let’s get you to medical and get that shoulder looked at.” George told him looking around.

“What is it?” Roman asked.

“Nothing.” George said quickly. “Aside from you aren’t supposed to be here remember.”

“I never thought of that. This isn’t going to get you in trouble is it?” he asked quickly.

George shook his head and looked away before looking back at Roman.

“You never told me why you are only a Lieutenant when most heads of a SAS unit are Captains.” George said slowly.

“Now that is a long story.” Roman began and then looked up in horror. “He’s here?” he asked.

George nodded.

“He’s the camp commandant, amongst other things.” He pointed out. “General Bailey.”

Roman whistled through his teeth.

“So the bastard made General.” He muttered. “Perhaps I should go say hello.” He offered making it clear that hello was the last thing he would be saying.

“Roman.” George groaned. “You have no idea what trouble I could get in for having you here. I could loose my pension over this.”

“No more fancy trips for Irene, eh. “ Roman said with a grin.

“No more food.” He pointed out. “And we would have to come live with you.”

Roman laughed.

“Ella would like that actually.”

George nodded absentmindedly.

“Look Roman I need to get you to medical and get you home and I really think that Ella needs you home too.”

Roman began to walk away from the chopper with George falling into step beside him.

“Ok you want to tell me what is up with my wife?” he asked after a moment.

“Roman.” George said standing and looking at him anxiously.

“Come on George.” Roman muttered and rubbed a tired hand over his face before he groaned.

“Ella was hit by a car. She’s ok but she sustained a broken leg. Aside from that she isn’t coping so well.” George told him quickly.

Roman nodded.

“Sooner you get me home the better.” He murmured quietly.

George nodded once more and led him through to medical. He sat next to him as they waited for medical personnel to come and see to them.

“Tell me about my son.” Roman said tersely.

“He’s fine. He was born four weeks ago by C Section.” George said and heard Roman swear beside him.

“She knew she was going to have to deliver didn’t she?” he muttered.

George looked over at him.

“I think so.” He confessed.

“Your daughter is a minx.” Roman said with a laugh.

“You aren’t mad?” George asked him.

“I am. I’m bloody furious. What if something happened? “ Roman turned and looked at the other man. “But how brave is she? After what we went through with Francesca.”

“There is more.” George said after a time. “But you never heard it from me.”

Roman turned towards him.

“Go on.” He encouraged him.

“She thought that she had lost the baby and she still sent you to get Mike.” George said slowly watching the other man.

“George I think I’m going to go home and spank your daughter.” Roman muttered. “What the hell was that in the hospital?”

“I don’t know son, but I imagine she was trying to convince you everything was ok.” George murmured.

“Well she should have known better.” Roman ground out.

“She’s not well Roman.” George said suddenly causing the other man’s head to snap up.

“What is wrong with her?” Roman asked him quickly thinking the worst and that maybe her cancer had come back.

“Depression. Won’t take anything for it. Won’t accept help. Feels guilty about sending you here and all the army stuff.” George told him quickly. “She’s just about reached the end of her tether according to Irene. Cries over anything.”

Roman swore and stood up quickly. He began to pace the waiting room and sighed with relief when a doctor finally entered.

“Hello there.” he murmured.

“I’ve got a gunshot to the shoulder and I suspect some bruising to my ribs. My son was brought in earlier, Mike Addison.” Roman said to him. “What is his condition?”

“First off, I’m the doctor so how about I examine you before we come up with a diagnoses and second, Mike is doing as well as can be expected.”

”Which means?” Roman asked looking at the shorter and he suspected younger man. What was the saying if they looked younger than you it was time to get out of the game, he mused.

“He’s a lucky young man. He has an infection which may lead to us removing his spleen but other than that he is in stable condition.” The doctor told him.

Roman nodded.

“How soon can we get him back to Australia?” he asked.

“We have a medi-vac going out in the next day. If he maintains his current condition we can put him on that.” He murmured confidently to Roman. “Now if you don’t mind I would like to take a look at that shoulder.”

Roman let out a laugh, which reminded him about his bruised ribs, and he groaned.

Ella stood looking out on the back garden worrying herself about the state of the garden and being unable to tackle it. She sighed, wiping at a tear falling down her pale face and felt even worse for crying. She couldn’t get Roman or Mike out of her thoughts, let alone what she’d done to Roman.

“Ella.” Roman called out as soon as he moved through the front door. He dropped his bag to the floor and strode purposefully into the kitchen pausing before looking over at her.

She spun around and her face paled as she saw him. Clumsily moving on the crutches she hobbled over to him.

“You’re ok.” she gasped out in a whisper.

He gave her a smile and nodded deciding that perhaps now wasn’t the time to mention that he had been shot and beaten up and nearly punched a General.

“I am.” He confirmed. “Now then I think we should have a talk.”

She looked down at her hands clutching hold of the crutches and took a deep breath.

“You have a son.” She said finally.

“I heard.” He told her. “But I also heard lots of other things.” He added after a moment.

Ella looked up at him then and the tears that threatened to spill over ran down her cheeks. She looked around the kitchen noting for once the quiet in the house.

“It’s all true.” She said without knowing what he had been told, the guilt of her actions overwhelming her.

Roman smiled.

“Anyway is this any way to welcome me home. Don’t I even get a kiss?” he asked.

She shook her head.

“Sorry, but I can’t.” she told him regretfully.

“So it is true you are blaming yourself.” he murmured softly coming over to her. He placed his finer under her chin and lifted her head. “I would have gone anyway, you sending me sooner probably saved his life.” He told her gently.

“Mike is alive.” She gasped out not realising how much she had prepared herself to hear about his death. “You found him?”

He nodded.

“He was in a bad way but he’s doing ok. They have him in hospital at the base for the moment but we’ve made arrangements for him to be transferred to Yabbie Creek in a few days.” He said quietly feeling her tremble. “Show me my new son.” He instructed softly.

Ella nodded and spun slowly on the crutches moving across the lounge to the crib. Roman followed slowly shocked by how tired she looked and the way she seemed to be hunched over. He couldn’t put it down to her using crutches having seen her use them a long time ago.

She gestured to the sleeping baby and he looked over at him before easing him out of the crib and holding him.

“He is lovely.” Roman told her.

Ella nodded.

“He has your nose.” He murmured looking at William’s screwed up face as he prepared to start screaming, upset at being jostled.

“You think so? Everyone says he looks like you.” She gasped out crying once more.

Roman shook his head.

“No he’s part of both of us.” He confirmed, snuggling his son close. “Come here.” He told her.

She looked at him for a time before going over to him.

Roman winced as he lifted his other hand and stroked her face wiping away her tears.

“You’ve gone away haven’t you El?” he asked her.

She nodded.

“I can’t marry you.” She murmured breaking his heart all over again. “I’m sorry.”

He nodded accepting what she said, knowing she needed to say it.

“Are you going to get some help?” he asked.

“You mean drugs?” she muttered, a bitter tone entering her voice betraying all the pressure she had been under from everyone.

“If it comes to that.” He said quietly. “But I was thinking along the lines of accepting help from me with the kids and maybe talking to someone.”

“How are you going to help?” she asked him.

“School runs, cooking and cleaning, looking after that garden you seem to be fretting about for a start.” he began. “I’ll stay at Miles’ for now.” He continued.

She shook her head.

“I can’t let you do that.” She moaned pressing her lips together to stop them trembling.

“You aren’t letting me Ella, I’m telling you that is what I’m doing unless you change your mind about marrying me.”

“That’s blackmail.” She muttered

He nodded.

“Yup, you didn’t think I was going to play fair did you?” he asked with a wry smile. “I know what you did Ella.”

She looked up at him and then at the squirming baby in his arms.

“You have no idea.” She whispered feeling guilt wash over her.

“You let me believe that William was going to be ok and that you weren’t scared stupid.” He began.

She flinched and stepped back crying out as she put her weight on her broken leg.

“El.” He said quickly.

William began to scream then and he was forced to give his attention to his son.

Ella backed away and turned to move out of the room.

“El.” Roman said softly. “I think he wants you.”

She turned and looked at him and the words she wanted to say disappeared at the look on Roman’s face.

“You better bring him up to the nursery.” She said eventually. “And be careful with that arm.” She added moving away on her crutches towards the stairs.

He gave a little chuckle at her noticing his damaged arm and followed her to the nursery. She eased herself into the rocking chair and placed the crutches on the floor beside her. He handed over William and took a step back.

“You can stay.” Ella told him quietly.

He nodded watching as she adjusted her clothes and held William to her breast. He nuzzled for a minute before suckling. Roman looked around the nursery and gave a small groan.

“You don’t even have a cot for him.” he murmured at her enquiring look. “We’ll have to go shopping.”

Ella gave a small muted laugh.

“That will be fun, me with one leg and you with one arm.” She said at his enquiring look. “Anyway I was thinking that I would manage with the crib for the moment and get Lily her own bed instead.”

“She climbing out of the cot already?” Roman asked raising his eyebrows before he moved over to her and eased down beside the rocking chair stroking William’s cheek. “How did you come up with his name?” he asked after a moment.

Ella looked at him.

“No to the Lily question and don’t even put that suggestion into her head at the moment. Nanny Rene has taken her over to Nic’s for a play date with Mira.” Ella told him softly. “I don’t know about his name. I wasn’t even thinking about anything special when I named him.”

Roman nodded.

“Does he have a middle name?” he asked her slightly puzzled by her detachment with William when they had given all the children special names.

Ella blushed and looked at the wall somewhere behind his head.

“Roman.” She said quietly.

“Yes?” he asked.

“No, his middle name is Roman.” She explained.

Roman laughed.

“You called him Roman? I thought we agreed that we weren’t going to name any of the kids after me?” he asked teasing her.

She went a shade darker.

“Well I was under anaesthetic.” She muttered.

He leaned up and kissed her feeling her tense as his lips pressed against hers.

“Thank you for my son.” He told her. “Thank you for carrying him under your heart and looking after him. I know it wasn’t an easy pregnancy.”

She gasped and felt tears clog her throat at his passionate words.

“Do you want me to change him?” he asked after a time.

Ella could only nod watching as Roman took his small son in his arms and carry him over to the changing table. He dealt with the nappy easily before cradling him in his arms.

“I need some sleep.” He told Ella.

“Irene is in the spare room.” she murmured her eyes meeting his as he nodded.

“Can I sleep in your bed?” he asked quietly.

Ella nodded once more.

“I’ll go tidy it up.” She said when she could speak.

“Do I need to fetch his crib up?” Roman said softly.

“No put him in the cot for the time being.” Ella said hoping her voice sounded normal.

She eased slowly out of the rocking chair and stood up before collecting her crutches and manoeuvring into the bedroom. She blushed at the tangled bedclothes and the general untidiness of the room. She dropped the crutches to the floor and moved over to the bed pulling the covers straight and arranging the pillows. She hopped to the window and opened it before spritzing the room with her perfume. Bending down she picked up the discarded clothes and piled them on the trunk at the bottom of the bed before collecting one of her crutches and using it to help her over to the en suite. She put the dirty towels in the wash basket and selected clean ones before racing into the bedroom and collecting her laundry and putting that too into the wash basket. Turning she spotted Roman standing in the doorway watching her.

“Oh!” she gasped out.

He smiled.

“Is it safe?” he asked her.

She nodded and looked down before gasping when he walked over to her and picked her up using only his good arm. Her one crutch clattered to the floor.

“You didn’t think I would sleep alone did you?” he asked her.

She nodded and squirmed before finding herself on the bed. He removed his shoes and climbed next to her.

“Careful.” He cautioned when she went to move away.

She glared at him.

“You wouldn’t want to hurt me would you?” he asked her.

She spun around and pulled at his shirt opening it to reveal the strapping around his ribs and the bandage on his shoulder.

“Roman?” she asked.

“It’s nothing.” He told her his eyes crinkling at the corners as he grinned at her. “Just as that cast on your leg is nothing, eh. Now lay down and close your eyes.” He instructed her.

She sighed and eased down beside him, not even the unusual way they were laying, she was on the opposite side to normal when she cuddled up to him, stopped her from drifting to sleep.

“Although it didn’t take you long to try and rip my clothes off.” He whispered pulling a cover over them.

“Roman Harris.” She groaned out sleepily. “Remind me to add you to my list.”

Sorry I haven't been writing much lately...... :( Hopefully I'll soon get back into the swing of it......

Chapter 42

Ella looked over at Roman and tried not to smile as she saw him struggle to use the lawnmower on the garden. Sammy picked up his rabbit and brought him over to where she was sitting on a sun bed her feet up, the broken ankle resting on a pillow.

“Hey Samson.” Ella called to him.

“Mummy.” He grinned happily at her and handed her the rabbit.

“Hey Thumper.” Ella grinned as she called the rabbit by its name, the original one she had called them as a nickname. Sammy had liked it so much that he had called his rabbit that.

“Mummy, is daddy staying again tonight?” he asked.

“You got the short straw Sammy.” Ella murmured.

“Mummy.” Sammy said puzzled.

Ella smiled at her son and looked over at the shirtless Roman. Gone were the bandages around his ribs but he still had the dressing on his shoulder. He looked up then seeing her looking at him and grinned.

“Probably.” Ella said, quickly glancing away from Roman.

Sammy nodded rubbing a spot behind his rabbit’s ears as he sat next to her.

“Do you think he will cut up more carrots for me?” Sammy muttered.

Ella chuckled.

“So its not that you want him to stay its that you want food for your pets.” Ella murmured smiling.

Sammy looked at his Dad and then back at her.

“Well yes. But he cooks breakfast too.” Sammy said quickly.

Ella chuckled and saw Roman watching her. She handed back the rabbit and stood up grabbing at her crutches.

“Steady.” Roman said suddenly standing beside her.

“I’m fine.” Ella muttered glaring at him.

He grinned and put his arm around her as he helped her with her crutches. She gave him a frosty look and made her way slowly into the house.

“Mummy is mad at you.” Sammy told him.

“I know.” Roman said with a grin. “But that’s good.”

Sammy shook his head.

“I don’t understand.” He muttered with a frown.

“Well an angry Mummy is better than a sad Mummy.” Roman told him. “Do you want some carrots?”

Sammy nodded.

“I don’t like Mummy being sad.” He confirmed.

Roman bent down to kneel in front of his son. He ruffled the fur of his rabbit and smiled at Sammy.

“Don’t worry Samson. Mummy is mad at me, not you.” He said quietly.

“Is this because Mike is in the army?” Sammy said puzzled.

“Sort off, Mummy sent me to go get him when he was lost and she got very sad when I was gone because of William.” Roman explained to his son.

“She did cry a lot.” Sammy confirmed. “I’m glad you are here Daddy.”

Roman grinned and ruffled Sammy’s hair.

“Me too.” He confessed.

“When is Mike coming home?” he asked his dad.

“Soon we hope.” Roman said. “Aden is looking after him.” he added referring to Mike’s stay in the hospital.

“They’ve nearly finished his house.” Sammy said looking over at the building near the swimming pool.

“I know. He’ll love it.” Roman said. “Now then I need to go start dinner.”

Sammy grinned.

“Can I get…” he began to ask.

“I know.” Roman said. “Carrots for Bugs.”

Sammy giggled.

“He isn’t called Bugs Bunny Daddy.”

Roman smiled down at his son before catching Ella watching them from the doorway. He grinned up at her before standing and moving into the kitchen halting next to her.

“Do you fancy anything special for dinner?” he asked her.

She gave him another frosty look.

“Nothing for me I’m not hungry.” She told him just as her stomach rumbled and she gave a groan.

He ignored the comment and moved to the fridge.

“Salad.” He murmured. “Maybe some pasta.” He continued. “There is some lovely cheese in here.” He added.

She muttered something under her breath and turned clumsily on the crutches. Roman reached out and caught hold of her once more. His hands holding her around her bare waist, the top she was wearing pushed up.

“Thanks.” She muttered trying to ease away from him.

“I thought they were supposed to go down with breast feeding.” He commented before he could stop himself.

“Roman Harris.” She hissed at him.

“Sorry but well they are starring at me.” He murmured. “I’ve never seen them so big.”

“I hate you.” She hissed once more. “I hate you so much. Just stay away from me.”

“And right now, well, they are pointing at me.” He said quietly his hands still holding on to her waist.

She looked down and saw her nipples pressing against the thin material of her top and she groaned.

Roman chuckled and leaned forward taking the chance to kiss her, putting his lips on hers. She remained passive for a moment before she found herself kissing him back.

“Now then what do you want to eat?” he asked easing slowly away from her.

She blinked up at him before using one of the crutches to hit his legs.

“Hey!” he muttered stepping away from her.

“Keep your hands off me!” She told him moving past him and out of the kitchen. She hobbled slowly up the stairs to the bedroom without looking back at him because she knew he would be grinning at her.

“Roman my boy, you is asking for trouble.” Irene said from the archway through to the dinning room.

Roman chuckled at her.

“She’ll be fine.” He murmured.

“When she’s standing over your dead body maybe.” Irene predicted.

He let out a loud laugh and looked up at the stairs.

“Irene, she’s coming out of her depression even if its only a little bit at a time. “ Roman told the other woman.

“I know but she’s still not Ella.” Irene murmured.

“She’ll come back to us.” He said confidently. “She loves us and we love her. That’s got to count for something.”

“Sometimes not all the love in the world can help.” Irene said quietly.

“I can’t believe that.” Roman said slamming the fridge door closed. “She’s the best part of me I refuse to think that there is the slightest possibility she won’t come back to us.”

Irene gave him a smile.

“Well she’ll either come back or you’ll have to lock up those fancy knives of yours.” She told him.

Roman looked over at the other woman and winked.

“Funny thing Irene, these aren’t my knives.” He said. “Ella bought an exact duplicate of mine for her kitchen.”

Irene chuckled and moved over to the sofa taking a seat next to Meggy.

“Is Daddy and Mummy arguing again?” Meggy asked her.

Irene looked at her step-granddaughter and gave her a smile.

“Only a little.” She told her.

Meggy sighed.

“Well at least Mummy isn’t crying.” She murmured wisely.

Irene laughed and put her arm around the little girl.

“I think your Mummy is going to be just fine.” Irene said softly.

Meggy nodded her attention back on the TV.

Ella sat on the bed looking around the room. Roman had cleaned it the day before yesterday and the tops gleamed with polish, a vase of fresh flowers on her dresser. She eased back against the pillows and lifted her cast on to the bed. Another week and the cast should come off, she thought with a sigh.

“It would go easier if you just accept that Roman isn’t going to go away.” Danni said from the doorway.

Ella looked over at her.

“Danni please.” Ella begged, not really sure what she was begging for.

“Well?” Danni asked. “He asked you to marry him and you said yes. Nothing is more important that being with the man you love because you never know what’s going to happen.” She said her voice breaking on the last bit of the sentence.

Ella moved then standing up clutching the bed frame for support.

“You think I don’t know that?” she hissed at Danni. “That I’m not aware of how mean fate is?”

Danni stepped back from the look in the other woman’s eyes.

“I have lost people I loved Danni.” Ella shouted. “My daughter. My first baby. My brother. Jennie. Suzanne. Harry. And how many times have Roman and I broken up?”

“Ella.” Roman called having run up the stairs when he heard voices.

“No get away from me. All of you just leave me alone.” Ella shouted at him.

“Mum.” Danni cried out.

“Stop it.” Ella said to them. “William died ok, they brought him back but I don’t deserve him.”

Roman caught hold of Danni’s arm as she made to move over to Ella.

“Why don’t you deserve him?” he asked softly.

“Because.” Ella said.

“Because?” Danni asked picking up on what Roman was trying to do.

“Because I’m evil.” Ella exclaimed. “I let him go.”

“Let who go Ella?” Roman asked.

“You!” she shouted at him. “I let you go.”

Roman walked over to her and pulled her resisting into his arms.

“I know.” He told her. “And I love you for it.”

She flinched.

“How can you?” she asked him.

“Because you loved me enough to make me go.” He said quietly. “Ella it took so much courage for you to pretend that everything was ok with William and to send me after Mike.”

She shook her head.

“No it was selfish.” She denied.

“Ella.” Roman murmured. “If I’m not mad at you how can you be mad at yourself?” he asked her.

She looked up and blinked.

“Ella.” Danni murmured. “Come on now sit down before you damage that foot.”

Ella looked around as if she hadn’t seen the bedroom before and let Roman take her over to the bed. She sat down slowly and looked at him.

“It’s going to be ok.” he promised her softly.

She sniffed before bursting into tears.

Roman eased down beside her and held her in his arms.

“Ella.” He said quietly noticing Danni had eased out of the room and pulled the door quietly closed.

“I’m sorry.” She gasped out.

“It’s all going to be ok.” he said paraphrasing himself.

She nodded feeling herself let go of some of her guilt.

“Believe me?” he asked placing a finger under her chin and lifting her face so he could look into her eyes.

“Yes.” She mouthed silently.

He gave her a quick smile and lowered his head kissing her.

“Ella I love you.” He said against her lips.

“I know.” She told him. her voice more confident. “But I can’t be with you.”

He grinned.

“You will.” He told her.

She blinked at the confidence in his voice.

He grinned suddenly and stood up from the bed.

“I better go finish dinner.” He said easily.

“I hate you.” She muttered rubbing the back of her hand across her mouth as if to wipe off his kisses of a moment ago.

Roman looked down at her sitting on the bed her eyes shooting sparks at him and he tried hard not to grin, losing the battle.

“Ella Harris.” He said smiling at her.

She continued to glare at him.

“I’ll call you when dinner is ready.” He promised and moved out of the bedroom. He heard a soft thump from behind him and knew she’d thrown a pillow after him and he chuckled. Ella was back and he was happy. All he had to do now was get her past her conviction she wasn’t going to marry him and they would be sorted.

Chapter 43

“Come in Mother.” Mike called out.

Ella pushed the door open and hobbled into his room.

“How are you?” she asked him.

“Well I’d feel a lot better if you and Dad got back together.” Mike murmured sitting up against the pillows on the narrow hospital bed.

Ella grimaced.

“Like that is going to happen.” She scoffed easing herself down into a chair beside the bed.

“Seriously?” Mike muttered. “You are giving me attitude when you were ready to marry him five minutes ago.”

Ella shook her head.

“Mum please, this is me. I know it’s been rough with William’s birth and everything.” He began waving his hand across himself, indicating that him being shot was part of the everything. “But you love him.”

Ella looked at her son and gave him a brief smile.

“Sorry Kiddo, but you won’t change my mind on this.” Ella told him.

“Fine.” He said with a sigh. “But you should know that some people aren’t going to give up.”

“Roman, for one.” Ella pointed out with a sigh.

Mike chuckled.

“I was referring to my brothers and sisters actually. “ he said.

“Mike I thought I told you that you weren’t to get shot.” She asked.

He nodded looking over at her.

“Maybe I should have told you not to play in the road.” He said in return.

She gave him a weak smile.

“What is it Mum?” he asked her quickly picking up on something.

“Nothing. For a minute there when I saw that car, well I scared myself stupid.”

“Mum?” he asked.

“I know now it’s just the depression but for a flash I just wanted to sink into the blackness, and then I felt worse because that was so selfish and if I never saw you or my kids again I don’t know what I’d do.” She burst out with.

“I can understand that, Mum you have been through so much and you are so strong but you know it’s not a sign of weakness to rely on other people.”

Ella gave a little laugh.

“Like Roman?” she asked.

Mike nodded.

“I wasn’t around for most of what went on with Elliot and the Mark stuff, but you held him together, why not let him be there for you?”

Ella gave him a grin.

“I think I see the theme of this conversation.” She said softly looking over at her son.

“Yeah, well I promised Danni.” He said a blush on his face.

“Your Danni has been wonderful. She was very strong when you were missing.” Ella pointed out.

“I knew she would be but I don’t want her or you to have to go through that again.” He told her with a grimace.

“What are you planning?” Ella asked him.

“I don’t know. Maybe going to university for a while instead of the army.” He yawned and leaned back tiredly on the pillows.

“Hey you,” Ella said softly. “Remember how much grief you gave Roman when he got shot?”

Mike laughed.

“Well he can give me as much stick as he wants.” He said fairly. “I’m thinking I may need a good few weeks R&R.”

Ella laughed once more before standing up slowly and picking up the crutches.

“Cast coming off today?” he asked.

Ella nodded.

“Better do.” She muttered with a frown.

Mike laughed.

“Mum I’m sorry.” He said suddenly.

“Nothing to be sorry for Mike.” she told him. “It’s one of those things.” She added with a shrug.

She leaned over and kissed him feeling his arms go around her.

“Give Roman the chance to make things better.” He told her.

She eased away and looked at him.

“Since when have you been calling him Roman?” she asked him quickly.

“Well its just a little embarrassing having my Dad come and rescue me.” He said and she saw a trace of red across his cheeks.

She giggled before easing out of the room and heading through the hospital for her appointment.

“Dad.” Gabby called out. “William won’t accept the bottle.”

Roman gave a grin before turning and heading up the stairs.

“I’m not surprised.” He said when he walked into the nursery.

Gabby glared at him and he chuckled.

“What?” he asked her.

“You are about to make some comparison about my Mother’s breasts and a bottle.” She muttered.

“Actually all I was thinking that he takes after me.”

“Ouh Dad!” she squealed.

“And you get that from Nic.” He said to her with a laugh. “Come here William.”

“You do realise that his name is going to get shortened don’t you?” she said carefully handing over the baby to Roman. He eased down into the rocking chair and cradled his small son.

“I know, I’m hoping we go for Billy.” He said and saw her look away quickly as she stifled a giggle.

“Gabby!” Roman exclaimed her name and watched as she blushed.

She grinned as the little boy spat the teat out just as he had when she tried to feed him.

Roman grinned.

“I don’t blame you son.” He murmured to the baby.

“Ouh Dad!” Gabby gasped out once more.

Roman chuckled.

“Gabby if we hadn’t have had sex you wouldn’t have been here, you know.” he pointed out.

“I know that but well.”

“Let me guess I’m not allowed to have a sex life now I’m old?” he asked her.

She nodded.

“Tell me how she was back then?” Gabby asked him suddenly.

“Ella?” he murmured trying again once more with the bottle.

Gabby nodded.

Finally William began suckling and Roman sighed with relief.

“She had long hair, nearly down to her waist.” He began.

Gabby sighed and eased down to sit cross-legged on the floor.

“I came back from a mission and headed for the shower block she was heading in the opposite direction and we bumped into each other and fell over.”

“So you fell for each other literally.” She said with a laugh.

Roman nodded.

“She had her camera round her neck and checked it was ok before standing up.” He told Gabby slowly. “And I read the name on her camera strap thinking it was hers.”

Gabby looked puzzled.

“Her full name is Elizabeth Louise Laura Addison.” He pointed out looking at his son.

“Oh, how cute.” Gabby said grinning.

Roman chuckled.

“So anyway we began seeing each other.” he said softly rocking William gently. “She went all over the country catching lifts on helicopters and going out on patrols with the guys.”

“She did that?” Gabby gasped.

Roman nodded.

“Wasn’t anything that scared her.” he said quietly. “Except…”

“Spiders” they chorused.

Roman grinned at his daughter.

“Yup.” He agreed.

“She sounded like a lot of fun.” Gabby said softly.

“She still is Gabby, it’s just been a bad few years. She’ll come back to us.” He said confidently.

“You love her don’t you?” Gabby asked him smiling at her father.

He nodded.

“I don’t just love her now.” He said. “I loved who she was when we first met and then when she tracked me down I fell in love with her again.” He paused and moved William to his shoulder rubbing his back in small circles. “I know stuff happens and it changes us but my love for her just seems to get stronger.”

Gabby sighed, blinking back tears.

“That is really romantic.” She murmured.

He grinned.

“You weren’t supposed to be here you know.”

“I know Mum thought she had a miscarriage.” Gabby said.

Roman shook his head.

“No. I was in charge of birth control.” He said and grinned as she blushed.

“Dad.” She muttered.

He chuckled.

“It was the night we lost Mike. I should have taken care of her but I thought that I might lose her.”

Gabby looked at him before laughing.

“Isn’t it women supposed to trap men with that trick?” she said finally.

He nodded.

“I just wanted something good to come from that night.” He said quietly. “Something perfect not touched by the war.” He explained.

Gabby looked at him and sighed.

“Instead you got more pain.” She muttered standing up and walking over to the window. She gave a little gasp when she looked down and saw Danni’s car in the driveway and spun around to warn Roman that Ella was home stopping when she saw Ella standing in the doorway.

“He was a cocky individual.” Ella said softly smiling at Roman. “Very uptight before he went out on missions.”

Gabby grinned.

“And he and my brother were more like naughty schoolboys than soldiers. Throw in Jacko and Pete and it was like dealing with a bunch of kids.” Ella told Gabby her eyes fused with Roman’s. “And I fell in love with him because he made me feel special. He never pressured me to sleep with him but there was something so amazing about being with him. When I found out I was pregnant with you I was so happy, well aside from the feeling sick bit.”

“Really?”

Gabby grinned when the single word question came from Roman and then grinned some more when Ella smiled at him. There was this special smile that Ella had that only seemed to come out Roman was about.

Ella nodded.

“Yes.” She said softly.

Roman eased out of the rocking chair and walked over to Ella putting his free arm around her he lowered his head and kissed her feeling her lips tremble under his.

“I love you.” She told him quietly.

“Ella.” He whispered feeling her arms around him and their son.

Gabby grinned at them and then over at Danni who was standing in the hallway the other side of the doorway.

“Does this mean anything?” Danni asked.

“Probably nothing.” Gabby said. “I take it that her cast came off.”

Roman looked down and chuckled at his not even noticing.

“Girls.” Ella murmured. “Go away.” She instructed.

Roman grinned and moved over to put the sleeping son in the crib.

“Did he take the bottle?” she asked moved next to Roman. She placed her hand on Roman’s back and pretended she didn’t hear his little sigh of bliss.

“Eventually.” Gabby supplied before she left the room.

Danni grinned at then and turned walking down the stairs with Gabby following. Roman heard the door shut as they went out and then the car start up outside. He turned to Ella and picked her up carrying her into the bedroom.

“I love you.” She told him again as he laid her gently to the bed.

He moved away and shut the door before pulling his T-shirt over his head. He kicked off his trainers and reached for the waistband of his shorts.

“Hey, I may not want to make love.” Ella said grinning at him.

He smiled at her.

“You know I’m happy with holding you.” He replied climbing onto the bed next to her.

She turned and looked at him before lifting her hand and stroking his face.

“I’m not protected.” She murmured after a moment.

He sighed.

“Good job I’m happy holding you.” He grumbled.

She grinned and moved into his arms clinging to him.

“Maybe if you looked in the bedside cabinet.” She suggested after a minute.

“Ella?” he asked.

“Well it was only a matter of time before we slept together.” She said hiding her face in his chest.

She felt his chest move as he laughed and looked up into his eyes smiling as she saw him smile down at her. They kissed slowly.

“Tell me again.” He said quietly.

She leaned over and stroked his face before placing her hand over the top of his beating heart.

“I love you.” She murmured.

Chapter 44

“So when are you going to move out of my caravan and back home?” Miles grouched as Roman ran beside him on the beach. He was puffing in and out as he kept up with the other man, his cheeks flushed red with effort.

“Soon, maybe.” Roman said coming to a halt.

Miles grinned and flopped down on the beach panting.

“Next time I tell you I want to get fit again do not under any circumstances believe me.” Miles groaned stretching out his aching legs on the hot sand.

“Miles stand up or you’ll get stiff.” Roman said and watched as the other man sniggered.

He turned around and waited for Mike to catch up with them, the younger man also trying to get back his fitness and he grinned as he remembered Mike teasing him after he was shot.

“Don’t say it.” Mike said through gritted teeth as he stopped nearby and bent double breathing heavily.

“I was just asking him when he was moving back home.” Miles said filling in the younger man.

Roman looked at the pair of them and their grins before dropping to the sand and beginning a set of push-ups.

“I bet he didn’t answer.” Mike murmured drinking deeply at the bottle of water Miles handed him.

“Only with ‘Soon-Maybe’ crap.” Miles said softly.

“Yeah, mum says the same kind of stuff.” Mike grinned as Roman looked up then missing his timing and collapsing on to the sand. He rolled over and sat looking out at the sea.

“If you swear not to tell anyone.” Roman said after a minute.

“Oh I do.” Miles said quickly.

Mike chuckled.

“I’m cleared for top secret.” He pointed out.

Roman reached into his pocket and pulled out a red velvet jewellery box and handed it to Mike. He took it from the other man and opened it looking at the platinum and diamond ring. Miles peered over Mike’s shoulder into the box and whistled through his teeth.

“Holy jeepers, that Diner pays you too much money and I’m putting your rent up.” He muttered.

“Dad?” Mike said quietly.

“I’m waiting for the moment.” Roman said. “I want to take her away for the weekend to the studio.”

“So that is where you keep disappearing.” Miles grinned.

“Mum closed it up.”

Roman nodded.

“She stopped taking photos.” He said quietly in response. “I want her to have that again.”

“What can we do to help?” Miles asked and saw Mike nod confirmation.

“Nothing really. I’ve had it painted and cleaned and her furniture was moved back in last week. Yanis flew back from the states to help set up her studio. Hopefully, it will be done by this time next week.” Roman said softly. “Then it will be a case of persuading her to leave William and Lily for two days.” He added with a grin.

“You have been busy.” Mike grinned as he said it taking the sting out of the words.

“Do you think she will like it?” Roman asked them after a minute sounding uncertain for the first time.

Mike handed back the ring and put his hand on Roman’s shoulder.

“Dad she will love it.” he said softly.

Miles nodded his agreement.

“Have you taken a look at you two lately?” he muttered. “I don’t think I’ve ever seen you two look happier.”

Roman grinned.

“I haven’t been this happy in a long time.” he confessed to them. “It’s been great just getting back to normal stuff. No drama.”

“Nobody getting shot.” Mike grinned as he interrupted Roman.

“Or kidnapped.” Miles added.

“Yes.” Roman said glaring at the two men. “And no interfering kids.” He added watching Mike flush.

“Without me you never would have got married in the first place.” Mike pointed out after a moment.

Miles shook his head.

“I wouldn’t be too sure about that.” He said quickly looking at Roman. “You just gave them an excuse. I’m pretty convinced that they would have met up sooner or later.”

Roman looked at him and gave a small smile.

“I’m not so sure about that.” He said quickly.

Miles stood up and stretched out his legs watching the horizon.

“You had her letter Roman.” He said to the other man. “Tell me that wouldn’t have made you contact her.”

Roman stood too and stretched his legs before he started running along the surf.

Reaching down Miles offered his hand to Mike and helped him up.

“He’s not human, is he?” Mike muttered rubbing his aching thighs before he set off in Roman’s wake.

“Nope.” Miles answered looking at the tall man’s back as they ran after him. “He was sent back from the future to kill us.”

“I can hear you.” Roman called out.

Miles and Mike shared a look and grinned.

Ella eased out of the rocking chair and put William back in the cot. She looked over and saw Lily watching from her bed.

“What’s up Lily girl?” she asked her daughter.

She stretched out her hand and pointed to the cot.

“Mine.” She muttered.

“I know.” Ella told her before coming over to the bed and sitting on the side of it. “But look at this pretty big girls bed of yours. With room for all your toys, see.” Ella told her picking up one of Lily’s teddy’s and showing it to her.

Lily looked around and then down the end of her bed where Cookie was curled up asleep.

“Cookie’s bed.” She told her and pointed once more to the cot. “Mine.”

Ella laughed and leaned down to kiss Lily grinning even more as she turned her head away.

“She being stubborn again?” Roman asked from the doorway.

“What can I say she takes after her dad.” Ella murmured giving him a look.

“She’s nothing like Aden.” Roman shot back chucking at the flare of anger in Ella’s blue eyes.

She stood up and moved over to him and smiled slowly.

“No dear, this one is yours it’s the others I’m not so sure about.” She said with a saccharine grin.

Roman glared at her for the briefest of moments before leaning down and kissing the end of her nose.

“I’m going for a shower before I pick up the kids.” He said softly. “It’s your turn to cook tonight. Mike said he was taking Danni out.”

Ella smiled.

“Irene and I were looking at the pool house today and picking out furniture.” She told him following him through to their bedroom.

Lily looked over at the cot and then at Cookie before climbing off the bed and walking to the side of the cot. She put her arm through the bars and went to hit William when he turned and looked at her.

“Unghera.” He said quickly waving his hand at her.

She grinned suddenly before stroking his cheek and turning beck to her bed. She climbed on it and picked up her teddy before turning and moving back to the cot. She placed the teddy in with William and smiled when he smiled up at her. He picked up the teddy and waved it around before snuggling up to it.

Lily grinned and went back over to her bed climbing on it. She picked up her blankie and lay down closing her eyes.

Cookie looked at her before standing up and stretching. She moved up the bed and snuggled next to Lily.

“Are you joining me?” Roman asked walking into the en suite and taking his clothes off.

“My god man don’t you get enough sex?” Ella muttered sitting on the bed.

He peered around the door.

“Just what is your definition of enough?” he asked her.

She looked at him and blushed.

“er….” She stuttered.

He laughed and walked over to the bed reaching out and taking hold of her hand tugging her upright and into his arms.

“You are smelly.” She told him her nose wrinkling.

He chuckled.

“I know.” He murmured. “I would have had a shower by now but you kept distracting me.”

Her eyes met with his and she turned her away from his kiss.

“Not until you shower.” Ella murmured laughing as she pulled away from him. She tried to move past him but he caught hold of her by her waist and pulled her back against him.

“Come here.” He said laughing and holding her against his naked body. She wiggled away from him falling on to the bed.

Roman dived after her and groaned when she scrambled out of his grasp and had almost got to the other side of the bed and freedom when he caught hold of her ankle. He dragged her back down the bed towards him.

“Stop.” She cried out a note of real panic entering her voice.

He released her immediately and drew back.

Ella turned on the bed and lay back breathing heavily.

“I’m sorry.” She murmured sadness back in her voice.

He sighed and stood up moving back into the bathroom. She heard the shower come on and she groaned.

She stood up slowly and moved into the bathroom looking at him in the shower.

“Are you going to join me or do I have to chase you around the bedroom again?” he asked her but all trace of laughter was gone from his voice.

“Think you can catch me?” she asked him trying not to sound upset.

“I think I might be able to keep up with you.” He murmured. “I’ve been training by keeping up with Lily.”

“It’s no good is it? It’s right between us again.” She said sadly.

“Only if you let it.” he said quietly turning and looking at her.

“Let it?” she asked a sudden spark of anger in her voice. “You think I have any choice in this?”

He nodded putting his hands up to his face and wiping away the running water before turning and looking at her his eyes meeting with hers.

“Yes Ella I do.” He told her.

She stepped forward ignoring that he was in the shower and she was fully dressed and lifted her hands and began pummelling his chest.

“I hate that things scare me.” She shouted at him.

Roman looked at her before lifting his hands and catching hold of hers. She struggled to free her hands from his, the hot water cascading down over his naked body and her clothed one.

“Stop.” He said quietly.

“No you stop. Stops thinking that I should be over it because there are times when I close my eyes I actually see him. Times when I make love to you, I feel him there too. I feel his sweat on my skin making me unclean. I taste his kisses on my lips and I want to gag. “ She moaned.

He looked down at her feeling her struggle against him and he leaned over and kissed her.

“These are my kisses.” He told her against her lips.

Releasing her hands he reached down and tugged up her sodden top taking it over her head and dropping it to the floor.

“These are my caresses.” He told her stroking her and removing her bra. He cupped her breasts in his hands and rubbed his thumbs over her nipples before bending his head and kissing them. He moved his hands to the waistband of her shorts and pushed them down easing his way down with them kissing her belly.

“This is where my baby’s grew.” He told her. “My baby’s, made with love.” He whispered swirling his tongue around her belly button and then down kissing the tattoo on her hip before kissing his way back up her body and finding her lips again.

“These are my kisses on your lips.” He told her softly lifting her up against the cold tiles. He held her legs open while he eased between them.

“This is me inside you.” He said slowly gritting his teeth as he controlled the first slow thrust into her.

Her eyes met with his and she moaned.

“Stop.” She told him feeling him still.

He looked at her.

“Ella.” He said her name wanting the horror gone from her.

“Stop.” She said again.

He pulled away and lowered her to her feet.

Ella looked at him seeing frustration in his expression. She reached out and turned the water off and stepped out pulling a towel round herself and walking out of the bathroom. He looked down seeing his aroused flesh and grabbed a towel wrapping it around himself before following her. She stood next to the bed and slowly deliberately dropped the towel to the carpeted floor.

“This is my body.” She told him.

He walked over to her and let his towel fall too.

“These are my kisses.” She told him giving him her lips.

“These are my kisses.” He echoed.

She tugged him towards her and they fell on to the soft bed, his full weight pressing on her. His eyes flew to hers in shock but she put her hands on his waist caressing him. He eased once more into her, his body joining with hers.

“This is me inside you.” He said once more feeling her legs go around him.

“I love you.” She told him kissing him again.

He bit back words he wanted to say and kissed her instead.

Chapter 45

“Roman.” Ella called up the stairs.

“I’ll be there in a minute.” He muttered crawling on his hands and knees in the en suite bathroom looking for the ring box.

“Roman Harris. The kids need to leave now.” She shouted.

“I said I’ll be down in a minute.” He called out quickly moving over to the clothes hamper and looking in it. He saw it was empty and cursed before racing down the stairs. “Did you do the laundry already?” he asked her.

Ella looked up at him from her seat at the table where she was feeding Lily.

“Yes it’s in the machine.” She said sounding puzzled.

“Did you find anything in my pocket?” he asked her cursing inwardly.

She did a double take.

“Is that a hint that you want me to put my hand in your pocket? Because if it is then I have to point out that you need to take the kids to school. Now.”

“Fine I’m going.” He muttered and walked to the door. “Where are the kids?” he asked turning and looking at her.

“In the car. Will you go already.” Ella said glaring at him. “Before Sophie and Georgie are old enough to drive themselves.”

He opened the door and took a step out before turning around and walking over to her.

“Ella Harris remind me to spank you later.” He said against her lips before turning and walking out the front door.

“Dada?” Lily asked.

“Yes that was Dada.” Ella grinned. “Now then William is asleep my girl so what do you want to do?”

“Liam.” Lily said softly.

”Do you want to go play in the garden?”

Lily nodded.

“Liam play.” She murmured.

Ella laughed at her daughter leaning over and kissing her.

“Liam asleep. Baby’s need lots of naps.” Ella told her daughter.

“Lily nap.”

“Do you want to be with Liam?” Ella asked her and saw her daughter nod enthusiastically.

Ella giggled and lifted Lily into her arms.

“How about we have Liam in the garden with us so you can look after him?” Ella asked her.

Lily nodded again.

“Who is Liam?” Mike asked walking into the kitchen.

“Apparently her baby brother.” Ella said walking over to him and handing Lily to him.

“Hey.” He muttered. “I was hoping for coffee first.”

Ella chuckled.

“Well you can get some practice in can’t you.” She told him.

“Mother!” Mike gasped out.

“Shouldn’t have let me catch you going into Danni’s room last night should you?” Ella grinned as her son blushed.

“I watched a movie in her room, thank you very much.” He grumbled after a moment.

Ella laughed.

“Of course you did.” she agreed with him.

“Mother.” Mike groaned. “I’m an adult you know I’m entitled to a sex life but seriously like I would in front of everyone.” He said trailing off embarrassed.

Ella leaned over and kissed him on his flushed cheek.

“I trust you.” She told him quietly. “I’m just going to get William and I’ll be back to take her off your hands.”

“Mum.” Mike called out.

She paused at the bottom of the stairs.

“What you said about practice.” He murmured grinning suddenly. “Well,” he paused. “What about if we borrow William and Lily this weekend.”

She looked puzzled her head titled on one side.

“Why?” she muttered folding her arms. “Is there something you want to tell me?”

He laughed.

“Nothing like that. I just, well it was just a thought when you mentioned practice earlier. I’m moving into the pool house this weekend. And well I could have William and Lily and Danni.” He trailed off once more jostling Lily as he moved her to his other hip. She screwed up her face and glared at him. “Sorry Lil’s.” he said softly to his sister.

Ella chuckled as Lily’s face immediately broke into a smile.

“Maybe you and dad could go away?” he added after a minute.

Irene chose that moment to walk in through the back door.

“Who’s going away?” she asked.

“Mum and Dad.” Mike said seizing the opportunity.

“That will be a nice break. We’ll look after the little ones.” Irene told her reaching for the coffee.

“Look we aren’t going away.” Ella said puzzled.

“Who’s not going away?” Roman asked walking through the front door.

“I’m going to get flamin’ revolving doors in this house.” Ella muttered.

“I suggested to Mum that we’ll have the kids and you two go away for the weekend.” Mike siad looking over at Roman.

“Yeah Darl, when was the last time you two had a break?” Irene asked.

Ella looked at her shoes.

“A while ago.” She answer diplomatically thinking of the few days on the island that hadn’t been such a good idea after all.

Roman stepped forward and put his hand on her back.

”Might be good to get away.” He said softly, more for her ears than the others. “How about we think about it and let you know.” He said louder.

Ella smiled at him gratefully before turning and running up the stairs.

“What is wrong with you?” Mike asked him. “I thought it would be a perfect chance.”

Roman groaned and rubbed his hand over his face before looking at Mike and Irene.

“I’ve lost the ring.” He admitted.

“Ring?” Irene asked him.

Mike leaned over to her and said softly.

“Dad is going to propose.” He murmured grinning. “Or was.” He added.

Roman nodded at Irene’s look and moved into the laundry opening the washer and looking in it. He moved around the laundry checking everything before walking back out and pouring out a coffee for himself.

“Where did you last see it?” Irene asked.

“Well if I knew that I would… “ he stopped and took a drink of his coffee.

“Here we are Lily.” Ella said walking into the room. She cast a puzzled glance around everybody before moving to the door and outside. She spread out the blanket and set William down before turning back around and going back to collect Lily.

“Liam.” Lily said quickly.

“He’s here.” Ella told her daughter walking out with her and lowering her to her feet so she could toddle over to her brother. Roman watched them before turning back to Irene and Mike.

“I’ve looked everywhere. The last place I remember seeing it is when I showed it to you and Miles on the beach.” He said quietly.

“Oh my god.” Mike exclaimed keeping a watch on his Mum. “Did it fall out of your pocket on the run?”

“I zipped up my pocket I’m almost sure of it.” Roman groaned once more.

Irene gasped.

“I take it that you paid a fortune for it.”

“Not half.” Mike answered for him. “Come on lets go take a look.” He offered.

“I can’t. I have to be at the diner.” Roman muttered. “And anyway do you plan to cover 10 miles of beach and road looking for a small jewellery box?” he asked with a shrug.

Mike looked down.

“I suppose you are right.” He said softly. “What are you going to do?”

Roman shook his head walking over to the sink and putting his cup in it. Moving outside he walked over to Ella and the babies.

“Hey Dada.” Ella greeted him.

He eased down beside her and felt her hand touch his back softly.

“Hey yourself.” he smiled.

“Lily has decided on how William’s name is going to be shortened.” She told him.

“Is that right Lily?” he asked her.

“Liam.” She said looking over at him. “Bu bu’s?” she asked.

Ella grinned and dipped the small plastic stopper in the bubble mixture and blew bubbles for her daughter.

“Hey.” Roman said softly.

“Are you ok?” Ella asked him.

He nodded and lay down resting his head on Ella’s lap.

“I’m fine.” He said catching hold of her free hand and pulling it towards him to place a kiss on her palm.

“Do you want to go away?” she asked him.

“Might be nice.” He prevaricated not wanting to sound too eager or even too disinterested because if by some miracle he found the ring he would be taking her to the studio.

She leaned down and stroked his hair.

“You sound tired.” She murmured.

Roman gave her a weak smile.

“No, not really.” He said softly. “Just enjoying being with you.”

She gave him a grin before lowering her lips to his.

“Well when you feel like sharing I’m here.” She whispered against his lips.

“Ella I love you.” He said quickly. ”I’m fine. Just thinking of a few things.” He said, like where that ring was for a start.

“Sure?” she asked.

He nodded and reaching up he kissed her again.

“Dada has to go to work.” He announced.

“Those double shifts are wearing you out.” she moaned.

“No darling, that would be my sexy wife.”

She raised her eyebrow at him.

“Ex wife.” She pointed out.

“Maybe I wasn’t talking about you.” He suggested and felt her hand connect with his ribs and he chuckled.

She gave him a look.

“Anytime you want to end this relationship there is the door.” She muttered.

“Well I’ll be going out of it in a minute.” He said grinning at her as he moved to kneel in front of her. “But I’ll be back after my shift and we’ll have a talk over whether we can really get away this weekend.” He leaned forward and kissed her pouting lips.

She gave him a half smile before turning her attention back to Lily.

“El.” He said.

“I meant it.” she told him. “If you aren’t happy.”

He leaned forward and put his arms around her pulling her over to him.

“And by what stretch of the imagination do you think I’m not happy?” he asked her.

“Well you are working all the time.” she said biting her lip not to mention the times he said he was working and he wasn’t in the diner or all the times he seemed to be out of contact lately.

“Exactly, working.” He said. “Ella, you are my wife and I love you. I love our kids.”

She nodded and gave him a quick smile.

‘The kids.’ She thought looking over at William and Lily. ‘That was why he was still around.’

“Ella I’ll see you later.” He promised kissing her again.

She looked at him and pinned a smile on her face.

“Ok.” she said brightly.

He smiled and eased up.

“Lily don’t tire Mummy out.” he told his daughter.

She looked up at him and clapped her hands.

He grinned and moved out into the house and through to his car. Ella watched him go seeing him talk to Irene and Mike and caught them looking over at her. She gave a sigh and moved her attention back to her daughter.

“Dada gone.” Lily asked.

“Yes babes, Dada has gone again.” Ella told her.

“Are you sure you haven’t seen it?” Roman asked Colleen.

“Now I would remember if I had and such a nice ring it was too.” She said flushing.

“Colleen.” Leah called. “Table 3 please.” She asked her handing over two plates.

“Leah.” Roman turned to the dark-haired woman.

“Roman Harris I have not seen that ring. Trust me if I had I would have told you.” She gave him a glare. “Do you have any idea how hard it has been covering for you all this time? Ella is my best friend and I can’t spend any time with her because I’m scared I’ll say the wrong thing.”

Roman stood back and looked at her.

“I know that. I more or less live with the woman. It’s been hard for me too.” He muttered folding his arms.

“And what is with this more or less live with her? Isn’t it time you moved home?” Leah asked him.

“I want to do this right. The way we have been, well I want it to be ok.” he said quickly.

“So you think lying to her and making everyone else lie is a good way to start?” Leah asked glaring at him.

“She started taking photos again, in the Lake District. I want her to have that again. I’m not lying about how I feel or what I want.” He said trying to rationalise the past few weeks of half-truths.

“Well you aren’t doing us any good here.” She said finally.

He looked at her before pulling off his apron and moving out of the kitchen. He paced through to the door and moved out of it and to his car.

“Where is he going?” Colleen asked.

“To find a ring I would imagine.” Leah said with a sigh.

Roman stepped out of the caravan and groaned. He’d searched it from top to bottom and still no sign of the ring. Walking over to his car he looked at his watched before heading home. He saw Ella’s car was gone and he grinned, heading in the house. He walked upstairs and began looking through all the clothes he had in the wardrobe pulling them out and putting them on the bed.

“Something you want to tell me?” Ella asked him quietly walking into the room.

He muttered a swearword under his breath at being caught before turning towards her.

“No just looking though my stuff.” He said finally.

She nodded.

“How was work?” she asked him.

“It wasn’t that busy.” He said after a moment.

He checked out a pair of trousers before adding them to the pile on the bed.

“Roman.” She called out his name.

He turned then and saw the hint of tears in her eyes.

“It’s alright I’m just thinking about what clothes I have here and at the caravan.” He said the first thing that came to him. “Are we going away this weekend?” he added.

She looked at the clothes on the bed and then back at him.

“I suppose so.” She said unenthusiastically.

He gave her a smile and bent down picking up his holdall and grinning when he saw the ring box in the bottom of the wardrobe. Turning back to her he picked up the last pair of trousers he’d dropped on the bed and pretended to look at them before hanging them back up.

“Want me to make the arrangements?” he asked her, praying inside she would say yes to not only that question, he thought with a grin.

Ella looked at him.

“Roman.” She called his name again and he looked over at her.

“Yes?” he found himself asking.

“You would tell me if there was something wrong wouldn’t you?” she finally worked up the nerve to ask him.

He stepped over a discarded T-shirt and put his arms around her.

“I know I’ve been a bit distracted.” he admitted. “But well it’s been a busy couple of weeks at the diner.”

She closed her eyes against the flash of tears in them and urged her voice to sound normal.

“Well if that is all it is.” She said finally.

He nodded and pressed a kiss to the top of her head.

“Is the laundry done?” he asked thinking about distracting her so he could pick up the ring.

She flinched before nodding.

“That’s a shame because I was going to add a couple of things to it. I’ll just put them in the hamper.” He said improvising.

He kissed her once more before picking up the fallen T-shirt and a couple more items off the bed and taking them over to the hamper in the bathroom. He gave a little groan as he pushed the clean items inside before heading back to the bed and putting the rest back in the wardrobe.

“There.” he said “all done.”

She nodded.

“Mike has gone to collect the kids.” She said at last.

“Really?” he asked. “So the house to ourselves and I’ve just cleared the bed?” he added with a grin.

She gave him a small smile in return.

“I so don’t think so.” She muttered ignoring the tug on her hand.

“Uh huh.” He said.

He reached out and picked her up before laying her on the bed and joining her. His arm around her waist was stopping some of her wriggling. Kicking off his shoes he pulled up the cover and adjusted his pillows.

“Why don’t we head for the city?” he suggested. “Stay in a hotel for a couple of nights. We’d be close enough to come back in case Mike has a nervous breakdown.”

She sighed, closing her eyes against fresh tears and sank back against him.

“Yes ok.” she agreed surprised her voice sounded normal.

“I’ll sort out arrangements.” He said quietly putting his arms tighter around her. He leaned over and kissed the back of her neck.

She sighed and turned in his arms before putting her arms around his neck. He was probably going to tell her that he’d found someone else, how else could you explain all the lies and the odd behaviour and then there was the money that had gone out of their bank account and she kicked herself for not letting him move back in.

She kissed him frantically.

“Hey.” He murmured easing back. “I was only teasing about the bed. I’d like to hold you for a while if that’s ok.” he told her gently.

“You don’t want to make love?” she asked.

He smiled into her eyes.

“I always want to make love but you seem a little down.” He murmured.

Ella sighed, again.

“I’m fine.” She told him.

He chuckled.

“Well never-the-less.” Roman kissed her before stroking her face. “Go to sleep El.”

She looked into his eyes before closing her own. Within a couple of minutes she was fast asleep. Roman eased his hand into his pocket and took out the ring box checking that the ring was in there and sighed with relief.

Chapter 46

She wrote three more things on the list for Mike and Danni ignoring Roman’s sigh.

“Look this is the longest I’ve left William.” She said when he gave her the look.

“I know.” He told her gently. “But if we don’t get going soon I’m going to go unpack.”

“Fine.” She muttered mutinously.

Roman grinned before leading her out to the car. He opened her door and stood to the side as she climbed in. He closed the door after and walked around to the drivers side climbing behind the wheel and setting off. Like clockwork she drifted asleep after a time and he chuckled putting his foot down in his eagerness to get there faster.

He had it all planned, her favourite food, a bottle of rose champagne she liked. Candles. He’d even had Danni download a disc of all Ella’s favourite love songs. . The ring was burning a hole in his pocket. He knew the words he was planning to say and had even been practising them aloud in front of the mirror. It wasn’t that he expected her to say no, he thought with a sudden bought of nerves it was that well, maybe she enjoyed not being married to him that it somehow gave her the freedom she craved.

He knew that in all this planning he had been spending a lot of time away from her and the kids and he sensed a certain pulling away from him. Just the thought of that sent a jolt of fresh nerves through him and he felt his palms grow hot as he clutched compulsively at the steering wheel.

“Hey,” she said softly opening her eyes and looking at him.

He grinned.

“Sleepy.” He murmured.

“Being unconscious is the best way to handle your driving.” She retorted and cursed the bitter note that entered her voice and made the rejoinder sound less than humorous.

He shot her a look before giving her a grin.

“I actually have a surprise for you.” He said finally.

Her eyes met with his in the rear view mirror.

“What kind of surprise?” she asked him quickly.

“You’ll find out in a little while.” He promised. “Open the glove box.” He instructed before overtaking the car in front. He altered his speed and slowed the car a little more than a little alarmed to find out his was speeding.

She leaned forward and opened the small compartment pulling out a black velvet eye mask.

“What the hell do you expect to do with this?” she ground out.

“I expect you to put that on. I know I said I had booked a hotel but where we are going is the surprise so in a bit I’d like you to wear that.”

She looked at him.

“No.” she told him bluntly.

“Ella, trust me ok.” he murmured.

“No.” she said again bursting out with the word.

“No?” he asked.

He checked the road before indicating and pulling over to the side. He put his hazard lights on and turned to her.

“Are you telling me you don’t trust me?” he asked a tone entering his voice.

“Apparently so.” She muttered folding her arms across herself and cursing that she seemed to sound so weak.

“Ella?” he asked her.

“I think I want to go home.” She said finally.

“You can’t do this to me. I have planned this weekend.” He gasped out.

“Yes, your plans. I didn’t want to go away with you.” She muttered again. ”Anything you want to tell me you can do just as well at my place.”

He sucked in a breath and looked out the windscreen shocked at the tears that sprang into his eyes. He felt the presence of the ring in his pocket and nearly swore.

“We’re nearly there now so we may as well carry on.” He said finally.

“If that is what you want.” She told him.

“And when I tell you put that blindfold on.” He added angrily.

“Since when do you have the right to tell me what to do?” she bit out.

“Apparently I have no rights just as I have no home.” He said under his breath crunching the gears as he drove off.

Ella looked out her window and sighed.

Roman shot her a look and put his foot down the sooner they were there the sooner they could talk properly, although watching the way she turned away from him he wasn’t looking forward to that talk. The children were so excited about this weekend and he cursed silently, going back and telling them anything different apart from she said yes would be devastating.

He drove on checking his watch before looking at her again.

“Put the blindfold on please.” He said finally.

“I don’t want to.” She told him.

“I got that bit. I’m telling you not asking you.” He muttered through taught lips.

Ella looked at his profile and sighed before she did as he asked.

“Thank you.” He told her.

He reached out and caught hold of her hand placing it on his leg so that she had a point of reference. He’d asked Rachel if making her wear the blindfold would cause any problems for Ella with reference to what had gone on before.

“Just relax.” He told her softly. “Won’t be long, ok.”

“Just get it over with.” She snapped at him.

He sucked in a sharp breath and bit back a retort before navigating the roads to her studio.

“Ok, we’re here.” He said finally. “No, don’t remove it.” he instructed when she made to take off the blindfold. “I need to put the car in the car park first ok. Just a minute.”

He could sense her impatience and almost grinned as he got out of the car and went over and unlocked the garage. He ran up the steps to the apartment above and lit some of the candles around the place casting the room in a soft glow before heading back to the car. Climbing once more behind the wheel he pulled into the garage and eased to a stop.

“Ok, I’m going to get the bags out first and then I will come and lead you out.” he told her.

She shrugged and he grinned at her knowing she was really mad at him now. He moved quickly depositing the bags in the bedroom before heading back to the car. He walked around to her side of the car and opened her door.

“Haven’t been peaking have you?” he asked her.

“Just get this over with.” She told him.

He leaned forward and kissed her, sucking in another sharp breath when he felt her begin to struggle. Quickly he released the seatbelt cursing that he forgot the restraint keeping her momentarily trapped.

“Sorry.” She said quickly taking in a calming breath.

“Ok?” he asked quietly.

She nodded and he took hold of her hand helping her out of the car.

Stumbling the first few steps and fell against him sucking in a breath quickly as she caught the scent of his aftershave lotion. He chuckled again and responded by lifting her into his arms.

“There are some steps ahead. I’m going to carry you up ok.” he told her.

She sighed and leaned her head on his shoulder. He felt her arms go around his neck and his arms tightened a fraction around her. He carried her up the steps easily and let her body ease down until she was on her feet.

“Ok, “ he said softly looking around. “You can take the blindfold off.”

Ella gave a soft moan and reached her hands up to her face. She peeled away the black velvet mask and opened her eyes. Turning around she took in everything at once. Her furniture back in its usual place. The walls clean and bright, windows cleaned. The shelves the other side of the room filled with candles. Some of them were lit and casting a romantic glow around the room.

“Why?” She asked him her voice full of hurt.

He flinched at the question and how unhappy she seemed with it.

“Because.” He began only to be interrupted by her turning away from him and moving quickly over to the bedroom. The door opened and slammed shut before he could move and he heard her sobbing on the other side of the door.

Roman moved then not to the bedroom but to the kitchen. He began to prepare food for them making himself a strong coffee first. He sipped it slowly casting puzzled looks at the door before finally walking over and knocking on it.

“Ella.” He called out softly.

He heard her moving inside and the door opened slowly.

“Yes?” she asked from the other side.

He took in her red rimmed eyes and nose and bit back a swearword.

“Please come out.” he asked.

She looked at her feet before nodding and following him through to the lounge area. He sat next to her on the big sofa.

“Why has this upset you?” he muttered rubbing his hand over his face.

“Because.” She said quickly.

“El.” He said after a moment of silence.

“Because you are going to leave me. Or kick me out.” she said finally folding her arms tight around herself when she started to shake.

“I’m what?” he exclaimed.

“You are seeing someone else.” She told him.

“And when am I supposed to be doing that?” he asked her raising his eyebrows along with his voice.

“When you are supposed to be doing double shifts but you aren’t at the diner. When you come home having already showered. All the lies you are telling me.” She shouted at him losing her temper.

He stood and walked away from her pacing the room before coming back over to her.

“Ella.” He said quietly sitting down next to her. “I’ve been lying to you.” He admitted. “But only over this. I’ve been getting this studio ready for you.”

“See you want to get rid of me.” She cried out emotionally.

He reached out and caught hold of her face in his hands. His thumbs wiping away the silver tears on her cheeks.

“I wanted this to be a nice surprise for you.” He said softly leaning over and kissing her. He felt her sigh against his lips before she responded to his kiss. He felt her hands on him pulling him towards her and he groaned against her lips before pulling away.

“Ella I wanted to give you back your independence and you worked so hard on your new book so I thought that you should have your studio back so I got Yannis to come and help me with it.”

Ella looked up in shock before standing up and walking over to the stairs down to the studio. She moved around slowly seeing all her gear stowed on the metal shelving around the room. The lights ready for a shoot at the end of the room. She sighed, moving into the darkroom and looked at the bottles on the shelves and the trays ready for developing old-fashioned film. Moving back out she saw her favourite camera on the table the strap trailing around it sibilant like.

“Is it ok?” he asked from the stairs sounding uncertain.

She nodded before running over to him and up the steps launching herself into his arms.

“This is what you were doing?” she asked him.

He nodded before capturing her face in his hands and leaning forward he kissed her.

“Now then how about we go back to that conversation where you thought I had another woman?” he murmured unable to disguise his hurt.

Ella eased back and looked at him.

“I called you and you said you were doing a double shift.” She muttered looking at him tears gathering in her eyes. “I was standing in the diner when I did it so I knew you were lying to me and I heard a woman laughing in the background.”

He sighed.

“That was probably when I had Nic helping me with curtains and things.” He murmured taking hold of her hand and leading her back up the stairs. “Why didn’t you say anything?” he asked.

“But I did!” she moaned. “I kept asking you stuff and you’d just lie again. Or you’d leave.”

He nodded acknowledging that was true.

“I’m sorry.” He told her.

She looked into his eyes and gave him a hesitant smile.

“But when does my Ella just let me get away with stuff and not get mad at me?” he added after a moment.

She glared up at him her eyes glittering with anger before she gave him a slow smile.

“El?” he asked warily.

“So what was the plan for this weekend?” she asked him changing the subject and hoping that he didn’t miss a couple of his favourite T-shirts that may have been accidentally ripped up.

“I’m cooking us a romantic meal and I have your favourite champagne chilling.” He said softly stroking her cheek. “I had Nic get some of your favourite bath stuff if you wanted to treat yourself to a hot bubble bath.” He told her knowing that with the kids she didn’t get much pamper time.

“Sounds very nice.” She said as they moved back up the stairs.

He put his arms around her and held her to him before kissing her. She kissed him back her hands running down his back pulling his T-shirt up to stroke him. He moaned against her lips as he felt her hands caressing him. He felt her easing away from him and moved with her. She guided him to the sofa and they fell on to the soft cushions still kissing and touching each other. He pulled off his T-shirt and dropped it to the floor. She grinned before kissing down his chest. Her lips finding his nipple and teasing him with gentle kisses before licking the hard pink nub.

“This wasn’t in my plan until later.” He moaned against the side of her neck.

She giggled, and where her breath fluttering against his skin a crop of goose pimples rose. She felt him shudder with pleasure.

“I don’t mean to spoil the moment but I’m going to lift you up and take you.”

She giggled once more.

“Into the bedroom.” he finished the sentence.

He leaned down picking her up and carrying her through to the bedroom. He felt her arms around him once more and her lips pressing against his neck.

“Ella.” He moaned.

He lay her on the bed tugging down the velvet cover. Looking down her body he smiled and began to strip off her clothes kissing her all over until at last she was lying naked underneath him.

He felt the first hesitant touch of her hands on him.

“Ella I love you.” He told her. “I don’t want anyone else. You are my wife.”

She eased away.

“I’m not.” She said sounding regretful for the first time.

“You are my love.” He told her hiding a smile.

Ella gave him a smile.

“I love you.” She said slowly.

He moved easing himself between her legs and joining his body with hers moaning with pleasure.

“Ella.” He said her name slowly kissing her again. “I need you so much my wife, my lover.”

She cried out with pleasure at their lovemaking and the renewal of their relationship. He thrust deep within her feeling her holding him and touching him. Loving the way she moved against him as they made love the feel of her long silken legs wrapped around him.

“I love you Roman.” She moaned against his lips as they reached the pinnacle together once more. He eased down beside her, breathing heavily pulling the cover over them. She moved into his arms holding him close.

“I need to move.” He said finally. “Before I fall asleep.” He looked down at her smiling face and grinned. “Or before I make love to you again.” He added.

She reached up and stroked his cheek.

“Maybe I’ll have that bath now and slip into one of those dresses I wasn’t supposed to notice Danni packing in my bag.”

He chuckled.

“Are they all in on it?” she asked him easing out of the bed.

Roman looked at her quickly wondering if she’d guessed about his intention to propose and then realised she was talking about opening up the studio.

“Pretty much.” He admitted.

He caught her glare and smiled saintly in return watching with delight as she walked naked into the bathroom. He heard the water running and grinned. Standing slowly he pulled on his shorts and moved into the kitchen where he opened the fridge and took out the champagne. Opening it quickly he reached for the glasses and poured out the drink before taking it to her in the bathroom. He saw her in the big bathtub, her long hair piled up on her head covered by bubbles and he couldn’t help but grin.

Kneeling down he handed her the glass before picking up the sponge and washing her back.

“You do realise this treatment may get you lots of sex.” She told him taking a sip of the rose champagne. She nodded as the taste rolled across her tongue before sighing.

Leaning over he tugged her earlobe between his lips nibbling it gently.

“I much prefer the term making love.” He said softly his breath sending shivers across her skin. “Now I’m going to go finish diner before I’m tempted to join you in there.”

He caught her wistful expression at his statement and smiled before heading to the kitchen once more.

Ella walked into the dining room seeing the table set for diner, candles lit the whole apartment and the food smelt wonderful. She noticed immediately that he’d changed into trousers and a white shirt.

“Very handsome.” She told him walking over to him.

He reached for her hand and led her to the table.

“My wife is beautiful.” He told her, looking over her in the long pale blue dress and smiling because this was so near the moment he was going to ask her to marry him. He led her to the table and they sat down. Pouring out more champagne for her he noticed a slight tremor in his hand and bit back the nervous giggle that wanted to escape.

They began to eat, mostly one handed as they kept holding hands on the table.

“This is lovely.” She said with a sigh when he served up the desert of Toffee Cheesecake.

He smiled once more and suddenly all the words he’d been practising escaped out of his head and he had no idea what he was going to say. He reached into his pocket and took out the jewellery box and going down on one knee in front of her.

“Roman?” she gasped out.

“I had a speech all set out in my head about what I wanted to say but I can’t remember a word of it. Ella Harris, I’ve been your lover for most of my life, and have been privileged to be your husband. You’ve born my children and looked after us all.” He paused looking at her. “But I can’t be with you without marrying you.” He said and shook his head. “That isn’t what I meant.” He muttered with a self-depreciating groan.

She looked over at him and placed her finger on his lips stopping him talking.

“Roman, will you marry me?” she asked him.

He looked at her in shock before grinning.

“Yes please.” He told her.

She smiled at him as he took out the ring and placed it on her finger lowering his head and pressing s reverent kiss to her hand before he claimed her lips.

“I love you.” He told her.

Chapter 47

Roman looked over at his wife and grinned. Or should that be his fiancée, he thought with a grin. He looked once more at her and leaned over peeling back the sheet so he could place a kiss on that interesting point at the base of her spine. He heard her moan softly as she woke up.

“Why do you do that?” she muttered.

“Kiss you there?” he asked her.

“Yes.”

“Because its beautiful and I like the way it dips here.” He ran his finger along her spine to demonstrate and heard her indrawn breath.

Ella looked at him before rolling over and placing a kiss to his lips.

“What is the plan for today?” she asked him.

“Well obviously some more sex.” He said grinning at her. “Then we are going out for breakfast. And I thought we might pick up some flowers and take them to Harry’s grave.”

She gave a little gasp before standing up and walking away from the bed.

“El.” He asked watching her.

“I’m just shocked.” She admitted. “You seem to have planned this meticulously.” She added a note in her voice.

“I feel guilty.” He told her. “I never asked what became of this place. I never questioned why you haven’t been taking photos. I should have noticed El.” He sat up in the bed the sheet falling to his waist as he looked over at her.

“Maybe I should have said something.” She retorted.

“Maybe you should.” He murmured. “But I certainly should have noticed that such an important part of you seemed to be missing. So I wanted to give this back to you and let you know you could have both.”

She gave him a look before dragging on the silky robe tying the belt around herself in a knot.

“I think we should spend a weekend here every month. Let the kids spend some time in somewhere other than Summer bay.” He suggested.

She looked at him again before heading to the bathroom.

“El?” he called out climbing naked out of the bed and following her. He stood in the doorway and looked on as she turned on the shower, her hands tugging at the knot she had tied.

“You seem to have everything worked out.” she said finally her hands falling away.

“I hope I have.” He said walking over to her. “Ella this is your home. Your other home. I took it away by being selfish and I’m hoping that you like this idea because well you seem a little upset.”

“I am upset you pig.” She snapped. “If I wanted this place again don’t you think I would have done it for myself.”

“Well yes, but when did you have time.” he murmured tugging her closer to him his fingers on the knot in her belt as he began undoing it.

She slapped his arm.

“I hate you.” She told him.

“Why?” he asked her grinning.

“Because.” She muttered.

He freed her from the robe pushing it down to the floor and lifted her into the shower climbing in with her.

“Because?” he asked her.

“Because this is quite possibly the most romantic thing you’ve done.” She said looking down.

“I think I can be romantic.” He said. “Because in case you don’t know it yet, I’ll do anything for you.”

She moaned before wrapping her arms around his neck.

He stepped closer to her and put his arms around her.

“El.” He said again.

“I love you.” She muttered.

He chuckled before lowering his head and kissing her.

“Can I have my Ella back now?” he asked her.

“You think…” she stopped and sighed. “I ripped up your surfer t Shirt and that green one. Oh, and don’t bother looking for that picture of me and Meggy on your phone because it may have accidentally been deleted.”

“Feel better now?” he asked smiling at her.

She nodded.

“I love that you did this.” She finally admitted.

“Anything else I should know about?” he said.

Ella looked up at him and smiled.

“Nothing.” She said sweetly.

“Then you can stop having Jacko follow me now.” He said laughing at the shocked expression on her face.

“How did you know?” she burst out with.

“Who do you think I roped in to help me with this?” he asked her reaching for the shower gel. “We had no idea you thought I was having an affair though, otherwise I would have told you about this sooner.”

“Roman Harris.” She groaned.

He chuckled in her ear before leaning closer and biting her earlobe.

“What do you want for breakfast?” he asked her caressing her under the guise of washing. He used the small sponge rubbing slow circles down her spine and then back up. He could feel her arousal in the press of her nipples against him and the sighs she mouthed against his neck and there was no way she could mistake his arousal he thought thinking of the way his flesh was hard and throbbing.

She eased back looking into his eyes her lids half closed.

“You.” She told him in that husky voice that made him shudder every time he heard it. He lifted her then and eased her down on his body. He felt her legs wrap around his waist and he nearly slipped before he found purchase and pressed her back against the cold wall of the shower. She moaned aloud and he grinned.

“Why do I always end up against the wall?” she asked him.

“Because I’m taller and I’m holding you.” He said gritting his teeth as her fingers found his nipple and twisted it slightly. The pleasure pain barrier was breached in an instant and he was torn between crying out his pleasure at the treatment or pain when her mouth closed over the same nipple and she suckled.

“Oh!” he moaned feeling a shudder of pleasure run through him.

She ran her hands down his back and she placed them gently pulling him forward. He thrust deeper in her and groaned against her lips when she kissed him.

“Trying to make me lose control?” he asked her after a moment, breathing heavily.

She smiled at him her eyes lighting up.

“Could I?” she asked him.

He nodded.

Ella smiled again before reaching between them and caressing him.

He moaned aloud and turning carried her back to the bed their bodies still joined. She lowered her legs keeping them wrapped around his thighs before she put her hands on his backside and pressed her nails against the smooth flesh. He moaned again thrusting deeper in her feeling her hips lift for him.

“Again.” He whispered.

She chuckled and pressed her claws into him again.

“Little cat.” He called her before reaching for her hands and pinning her arms above her head.

She laughed and kissed him.

“Make me purr?” she asked him.

He chuckled.

“You know I will.” He whispered before kissing her again.

“Mike.” Danni called.

He swung around William cradled in his arms trying to feed him with a bottle.

“I don’t know how she does this.” He said with a grimace raising his voice over the crying baby.

Lily looked at them before she bent over and threw up on the new carpet.

“Oh god.” Danni cried out.

“Poorly Lily.” Lily murmured.

“I think we know that Lils.” Mike said.

Danni reached over and picked her up turning to the bathroom.

Mike looked at William before placing the still screaming baby in the crib. He went into the kitchen and fetched a bowl of water and a cloth to clean the carpet.

“Can’t you quiet him?” Danni called out.

“No.” Mike murmured and grinned suddenly. “Are we going to start fighting again?”

She peered round the bathroom door seeing him on his hands and knees washing the carpet and smiled.

“I think we should call Ella.” She told him.

“Do you think its fair on them. Their first weekend away in like ….” He paused and sat back on his heels. “I can’t remember them ever going away together and leaving us.”

Danni looked at him in shock.

“Really?” she asked.

He nodded.

“I mean I was at school mostly but yeah, they never did the weekend away or well holidays, it was always here.”

Danni sighed.

“So it must have been a shock when Ella went away.”

Mike looked at her his head on one side.

“She did it once before.” He murmured.

“When?” Danni asked.

“I was a kid. She was with Christopher.” He said with a shudder.

“What’s up?” Danni caught his reaction.

He looked over at her and gave a small smile.

“I don’t remember much but I do know I didn’t like him.” he moved back to cleaning the carpet acknowledging that William had stopped crying. After a time Danni brought Lily out of the bathroom dressed in a fresh nightdress.

“Lilly sick.” She told Mike.

“Are you Lils?”

“Want Mama.” She said with a sniff.

Mike chucked.

He put everything away and picked up his phone and dialled.

Ella reached over to the other side of the bed and picked up Roman’s phone.

“Hello.” She said softly answering the call.

“Mum it’s Mike although you probably knew that from the caller display.” He said.

“What’s the matter?”

“Lily is ill. She’s been sick.” He muttered feeling defensive.

“Did you feed her anything with raspberries in?” Ella asked sitting up in bed and pulling the sheet up.

Mike looked at Danni.

“Did we give her anything with raspberries in?” he asked.

Danni ran over to the kitchen and picked up the fruit drink Lily had drunk and nodded after she read the ingredients.

“It’s in the fruit juice.

“Did you catch that?” Mike asked into the phone.

“Yeah. She’s allergic to raspberries. If she’s been sick she should be ok after. Give her some milk to settle her stomach.” Ella said with a grin. “It’s on the list.” She pointed out.

“William won’t drink from the bottle.” Mike muttered.

“Are you having fun?” Ella asked him.

“Lot’s.” he said sarcastically.

Ella giggled.

“Mama.” Lily said coming over to him.

“Want to talk to her?” he asked Lily.

“Mama home?” Lily asked in the phone.

“Soon Lily girl. Looking after Liam for me?”

“Lily good.” She told her Mama.

“I know you are sweet girl. Big kisses.”

Lily smiled and lifted her hand to her mouth. She pressed a kiss to the palm and then waved her hand in the air making a smacking sound with her lips.

“Love you Lily girl.” Ella told her daughter.

“Love you Mama.” Lily said handing the phone back to Mike.

“What do we do about William?” he asked quickly.

“Just keep trying.” She said.

“That is helpful.” he groaned.

“Hey kiddo, you hated the bottle.” Ella pointed out.

“Right that is it, I’m going before you start with the nappy stories.” He said and hung up.

Ella smiled and clicked the phone shut.

“Everyone ok?” Roman asked her.

“Just about. I don’t think Mike and Danni will be parents anytime soon.”

“Your plan worked then.” He said rolling over and sitting up.

“Hey, I’m not that sneaky.” She muttered.

He gave her a look.

“Ok I am that sneaky but I didn’t plan this.” She said finally.

He put his arm around her waist and reached for his watch.

“Come on.” He said. “We need to get moving.”

“Can’t we stay in bed all day?” she said looking at him for the corner of her eye.

“No.” he said emphatically.

She chuckled and stood up moving over to the other side of the room and picking out her clothes.

He leaned back against the headboard and grinned.

“Ella.” He called.

She turned slowly and looked at him.

“Changed your mind?” she asked.

He grinned and nodded.

She laughed and walked sexily over to the bed wriggling her hips. She got on the end of the bed and crawled up towards him. He leaned down and kissed her.

“Witch.” He murmured against her lips.

Chapter 48

Roman watched her climb out of the car and walk over to the house. He followed catching up with her and taking hold of her hand.

“They know don’t they?” she asked him and saw him nod. She gave a little groan. “How did you get Sammy to keep it quiet?”

Roman leaned over to her and kissed her.

“Bribery.” he admitted.

He opened the door and stepped inside hearing the kids arguing out the back. He smiled and leaned over and kissed her.

“Uh huh.” She said moving outside to the back where the children were gathered.

“Mummy!” Meggy shouted running over to her.

“Hello Megs, “ Ella murmured. “How’s my girl?”

“We’re all fine.” She told her casting a glance over at her brothers and sisters.

Ella grinned and kissed her before sitting down. Sophie came and sat next to her casting a look at her dad.

“Did he.” She began to ask.

“If you want to know if your Dad proposed the answered is no.” Ella told them seeing the grin on Roman’s face and smiling as Sophie and Meggy exchanged disappointed looks. She leaned close to the two girls and whispered. “But I asked Daddy to marry me.”

“Yeh!” Sophie cried out and spun around dancing.

Georgie and Sammy walked over to them still arguing with each other.

“What’s going on boys?” Ella asked them.

“We wanted to sleep outside tonight in a tent.” Georgie muttered. “Tyler and Robbie are coming over.”

“But I didn’t want to.” Sammy said with a pout.

“That right Samson?” Roman asked his son lifting him up on to his lap as he sat down.

Sammy nodded tears in his eyes.

“Angel coming over?” Ella asked Sophie and saw her nod.

“But we will be inside.” Sophie told them.

“Well sounds like there will be lots of people out here.” Roman told his son. “And well you’ll be near Thumper.”

Sammy looked over at Georgie.

“Maybe.” He told him.

“We don’t have to.” Georgie said slowly. “We could watch a DVD instead.”

Sammy nodded looking over at his brother before sliding of Roman’s lap. He moved over to Ella and gave her a hug.

“Did you bring us presents back?” he asked.

Ella laughed.

“We might have done. They are in the car.” She murmured. “Who’s taking care of you anyway?”

“That would be me Darl.” Irene said coming out of the lounge through the french doors. George followed his wife.

“Hello Princess.”

“Daddy you are going to have to stop that.” Ella groaned accepting his kiss to her cheek.

“Can we see the ring Darl?” Irene asked.

Ella laughed and held up her hand.

“Beautiful.” She declared and shot a glance at George.

He grinned and eased into a chair pulling Irene on his lap.

“Hey!” she cried out grinning at him.

“Can’t let them two show me up can I?” he said grinned.

“Daddy!” Ella groaned.

George chuckled.

“So tell us everything.” Irene begged. “Did he go down on one knee.”

“I did indeed.” Roman confirmed smiling at Ella.

She grinned back.

“And halfway through his gibberish I asked him to marry me.” She told them.

“It wasn’t gibberish I just forgot my speech.” Roman defended.

Ella smiled at him and mouthed the words ‘I love you’.

He smiled some more.

Meggy looked up.

“So when are you and Daddy getting married?” she asked glaring at Sophie.

“I don’t know we didn’t talk about it.” Ella murmured.

“Soon.” Roman told her grinning.

Ella chuckled at the note in his voice.

“Sophie said you will want me to be a bridesmaid and wear a pink dress.” Meggy muttered folding her arms and frowning.

Ella laughed and picked up Meggy putting her on her lap.

“I don’t want a big wedding with lots of bridesmaids so I think you are safe.” She told her pressing a kiss to her daughter’s head.

“I do.” Roman said.

She looked at him.

“You do what?” she asked.

“I want a big wedding. With everyone.” He admitted.

Ella shook her head.

“What’s that?” Mike asked walking through the house. He was carrying Lily on one hip and had William in his capsule. Danni followed behind with the diaper bag. She placed in down before joining everyone out the back.

“I said I want a big wedding.” Roman murmured looking at Ella and smiling.

“No.” she told him.

“That would be cool.” Danni murmured sitting opposite them.

Lily wiggled in Mike’s arms and he grinned as he lowered the little girl to the floor watching as she ran over to Ella.

“Hello Mama’s girl.” Ella said to her.

“Up” Lily demanded.

“Sorry Lily I’m having a cuddle with your sister.” Ella told her.

Roman grinned and moved over to his daughter and lifted her up placing her on his lap as he settled next to Ella on the bench.

“No Meggy Lily.” Lily murmured pointing at herself.

“In a minute Lily girl. Got lots of cuddles for everyone.” Ella said smiling at her daughter.

Meggy snuggled closer to her and Ella grinned.

“So have you chosen a date?” Mike asked quickly sensing another tantrum from Lily coming on.

“Soon.” Roman supplied. “But El, I’m serious I want a big wedding. With my family here and you in a big meringue dress.”

She pulled back pressing her lips together.

“What is it?” he asked quickly at seeing her expression.

“I don’t want that kind of wedding. And I don’t want to be bullied into it thank you very much.”

“Who is bullying you?” he asked quickly.

“You all will. Sophie wants to be bridesmaid and she’ll want Angel with her. You’ll end up having a drunken stag night with Aden and Geoff and Miles. Why can’t we just stand on the beach and say our vows and be done with it?”

“Because I want to stand in front of all our friends and family and have you in a beautiful dress looking like a princess when I say my vows. I owe you a wedding and I want to do it properly.”

Ella eased Meggy down and stood up. She glared at him before turning to the house and walking inside.

“Let me.” Mike said as Roman prepared to stand up.

He nodded at his son and watched as he moved inside to Ella.

“Mum.” Mike said softly.

“No.” she muttered looking in the fridge.

“You need to tell him.”

“Tell him what?” she asked.

“Why you are scared of weddings.”

“I’m not.” She denied.

“Then why don’t you want to have one. You didn’t even have a nice dress the first time Mum, remember.”

She gave him a look before taking out ingredients for a salad. Picking out the chopping board she started slicing the lettuce.

“And where are your wedding photos?” he asked her. “You only have the ones that Nic took on her phone from the first wedding.”

She groaned.

“Do you want to be invisible?” he continued.

“Mike dammit.” She muttered and looked down at the spreading stain of crimson on her hand.

He gasped and moved over to her.

“No keep away from me.” She muttered again.

She went over to the sink and put her hand under the tap pressing gently at the cut before reaching for a towel and holding it in place.

“Mother?” Mike asked.

“I don’t want a big wedding.” She said again.

“Well Roman does.” Mike pointed out folding his arms.

She looked at him and grinned.

“Roman will have to compromise.” She murmured.

“I don’t think he will over this issue.” Mike pointed out quickly.

“So you are saying that I have to give in.” Ella turned and glared at him.

“No of course not, I just want you to think about why you don’t want to celebrate your wedding with us. “

Ella resisted the urge to sigh and continued to meet her son’s gaze.

“Surely this should be about what we both want?” she murmured.

“You’re not just an us though. There is Aden and Belle, Colleen Leah, Irene and Granddad, Miles, Leona, Nic and Geoff, Jacko and Pete, Papa Joe. Yannis. All the people that love you Mum and think about Dad. He’s got his family back and he wants share that day with them.”

Ella sighed then still glaring at him.

“Fine.” She muttered.

“Fine?” Roman asked from the doorway.

“We’ll have a big wedding.” She told him.

He grinned.

“Another Summer Bay Wedding?” he asked.

She gave him a look.

“Anyone remotely calls me Bridezilla and I will kill do you hear me?”

Roman smiled and walked over to her pulling her into his arms.

“I love you.” He told her.

She grinned up at him.

“Me too.”

“Now that is sorted you better let me look at that hand.” He instructed lifting her up on to the top and unwrapping it so he could look at it.

She smiled at him holding out her hand for his inspection.

“Are you practising medicine without a licence?” Aden asked, immediately taking in the scene as he was walking in through the front door with Belle and Amy-Belle following behind. Tyler ran past them and out to Sammy and Georgie.

“Go away Jefferies.” Roman heard the words he was thinking come from Ella and he grinned wider as he reached for the first aid box. He dressed the wound within minutes before placing a kiss on Ella’s lips.

“You do that with your patients Aden Jefferies and we will have words.”

“Belle, babe, of course I don’t especially as I’ve swapped to the kids wards.”

Belle gave him a look and moved out the back. She gave Irene a hug and eased down on a seat nearby.

“So when are Nic and Geoff getting here?” Roman asked Aden.

“They were behind us so any minute now.” Aden told him. “Do I get to kiss the bride?” he added and heard Roman’s growl.

“I think that is a no.” Mike told him. “Good job I got a load of beer in earlier isn’t it.”

He walked over to the fridge and took out beers for everyone before getting glasses and a bottle of white wine out of the fridge.

“Is everyone coming?” Ella asked Mike.

He nodded.

“Smart thinking boy, what are we going to feed everyone?” Ella groaned.

“I’ve got it covered. Pizzas.” Mike said and watched the comical change of expression on her face.

Roman grinned before lifting Ella down from the worktop. He moved over to the chopping board and disposes of the cut lettuce before cleaning the board down and starting again. Within minutes he had prepared two large bowls of salad and he placed them back in the fridge to chill before heading out the back and sitting next to Ella. She had William in her arms and Lily sitting next to her.

“Hey.” He said softly.

She smiled at him and handed over William.

“See this is what I want.” He whispered to her. “Everyone here.”

She nodded placing her hand on his leg.

“Hello.” Nic called out joining them. Geoff was with her along with Angel and Robbie and she was carrying her youngest daughter.

“Hey.” Roman murmured to his daughter.

She let Mira down watching as she made a beeline to Lily.

“Lily play?” Mira murmured.

“No.” Lily said softly. “Liam.”

“It’s ok Lily, Daddy is watching Liam.” Ella told her daughter lifting her down.

Nic grinned as Mira took hold of her hand and led her away.

“Mike can you get out more seats please?” Roman asked him.

“I’ll help.” Geoff volunteered moving over to the shed with Mike.

They saw Gabby walk up from the stables.

“Hello.” She greeted everyone.

“Horses ok?” Ella asked her.

“Yes.” She murmured.

“Cats, rabbits, guinea pigs, and horses.” Aden murmured looking at Roman.

“Yup. And a load of kids.” Roman said refusing to rise to the taunt.

Aden chuckled.

Ella looked over at him and smiled.

“Happy?” she asked him.

He grinned reaching down he caught hold of her hand.

“Yes.” He told her. “Very happy.”

She snuggled closer to him looking at William then looking round the faces of everyone.

“Ok.” she told him.

“Ok?” he asked.

“We’ll have your big wedding.” She grinned.

“I’m so glad we found a way back.” He said for her ears alone.

He leaned down and kissed her.

Comments

Archived