The Way Back

Guest TelephotoMarigold

Chapter 11

Ella carried a sleeping Lily into the examination room.

“So tell me what the symptoms have been?” Aden asked her.

“Sleeplessness, crying, as in constant crying. She’s had a temperature, on and off. I gave her infant medicine on Saturday which brought it down but last night she crying all night. I’ve checked for a rash and couldn’t find one and quite frankly if I wasn’t so worried I’d be thankful that she was still asleep right now and not disturb her.” Ella said softly.

“And how have you been?” he asked.

She looked up at him in shock.

“I’m fine.” She said. “Do you think its me that I’m giving off vibes to her?”

He gave her a grin.

“No I was just asking in general. How about we lift her out of the capsule and have a look at her? Rachel sent her apologies by the way.”

“Is she ok?” Ella asked automatically.

She lifted the capsule on to the bed and lifted Lily out.

Aden lifted down the capsule and waited for Ella to place the baby on to the bed. He dragged pillows either side of her to stop her rolling.

“She’s fine.” Aden murmured. “Just got tired up with an emergency.”

Ella nodded looking at her daughter as Aden fixed his stethoscope to her and listened.

“Her chest sounds ok.” he said softly just as she started fussing. “How is she eating?”

“Off solids and craving milk. I thought possibly an upset stomach. But not noticed any change in her nappy.”

Aden smiled.

“If only they could tell us, eh?” he asked Ella.

She gave a tight smile.

“So aside from her being poorly, nothing else bothering you? When are you and Roman getting back together?” he said quietly.

Ella gave a strangled gasp.

“Are you running a sweepstake?” she asked.

Aden nodded.

“Want to have a go? It’s only $10. Pretty much everybody has come up with a date.”

Ella folded her arms and glared at him.

“Hello, does the word divorced not mean anything to you?” she muttered angrily.

“Hello.” He countered. “Not with you and Roman and all your kids. And anyway I have some inside information.”

She gave him a look that he ignored, flashing a grin at her.

“When are you going to tell him?” he asked flashing a look down at her waist.

“Oh God Aden don’t interfere.” She begged huskily a protective hand on her stomach.

“I know but seriously El do you know how hard it is not to blurt it to Belle.”

She smiled slowly.

“Phew for a minute I was wondering how you were going to finish that sentence.” She told him.

He let out a surprised bark of laughter.

“Well?” he asked and turned back to Lily. He removed the thermometer from under her arm and looked at the reading. “That’s normal.”

Ella placed a hand on Lily surprised she was still so quiet.

“I’m keeping the baby.” Ella told him quietly. “Rachel told me there might be issues because of my age. I know my blood pressure is a worry for her. But I’m watching my diet cutting out salt.”

Aden looked at her and put his arm around her.

“It’ll be ok.” he said to her hoping that it would be.

“I can’t tell him yet.” She said. “I’ve tried but something always stops me.”

“I’m sure Roman will understand. I mean it isn’t the first time is it?” Aden murmured.

He leaned forward and placed a kiss on the top of her head.

“No it’s not but this time it feels different.”

“I know.” Aden grinned. “It feels pretty weird to me too.” He paused and leaned forward. “I’m used to you and Roman being there and this changes things. When you left we were all gob smacked but well, we thought you were making the right choice then and you have to know what you are doing now.”

“I do but I’m not sure Roman will agree with you.” She murmured thinking of how upset Roman was going to be when he found out about the baby.

Aden pulled her closer and hugged her.

“Then we’ll have to leave Roman out of it for the time being.” Aden said. “You are far too important.”

She eased back and looked up at him.

“Thank you.” She said quietly.

He nodded and released her to turn his attention back to Lily.

“I think this one is ok. It was either a stomach upset or an earache.”

Ella smiled at her baby.

“Maybe she just wanted the attention.” She murmured softly. “She wasn’t fussing with her ears though.” Ella said.

“See how she is tonight. Keep her on formula. If her temperature rises or she is fussy again overnight bring her back in the morning.” He advised.

Ella nodded and lifted the capsule smiling as Aden tucked Lily into it. She covered her with a blanket and lifted her up.

“Hey let me.” He said smiling.

Ella gave him a glare before letting him carry the baby out to her car. He fastened the carrier in place and even opened the door for her. She leaned up and gave him a kiss before getting behind the wheel and driving off.

Roman walked into Miles’ place. He placed the bag with the bottles in it on the table and pulled out a couple of glasses from the cupboard.

“Oh my god!” Miles exclaimed walking in the room having just come from upstairs.

“You know what I give in.” he declared.

“Roman?” Miles questioned quickly.

“I just can’t do it.” he added.

He moved over to the table and opened the bottle of whiskey pouring out two large measures.

“Do what?” Miles asked him.

“I can’t get her back. I’ve tried being Mr nice guy. I’ve tried being patient but she doesn’t want me and I need to face it. She’s being kind letting me see the kids that’s all.”

“Do I have to pretend to follow this ramble?” Miles asked tiredly accepting the full glass from him and taking a sip before he walked over to the sofa and sat down placing the glass on the table away from him.

Roman drained his glass in one and picked up the bottle moving over to sit on the sofa next to Miles.

“It doesn’t matter.” He told him. “Just gonna get a little drunk here and then in the morning everything will be ok.” he said quietly. “After all I am the Ex-husband.” He added bitterly.

Miles looked at him and nodded.

“Ok.” he said softly unable to hide the worried expression on his face.

Roman leaned over to him and patted him on his cheek.

“Don’t worry Miles.” Roman told him. “It will be alright in the end you’ll see.”

He leaned back and picked up the bottle unscrewing the cap and took a long drink.

“I’m so lonely.” He said after a few minutes. “I miss my kids.”

“Roman what’s happened?” Miles asked the other man.

“Ella is seeing someone and instead of being honest about it she’s running around behind my back.” He finally admitted. “I should have expected it but she kept telling me it meant nothing.”

Miles reached forward and took a sip of the single malt feeling the peat flavour explode on his tongue as he swallowed.

“I’m sorry.” Miles told him. “But seriously what are you doing here? Shouldn’t you be talking to her so you can find out what is going on?”

He gave Miles a look before taking another long drink.

“I would but they don’t want me to know yet.” He sneered.

Miles leaned forward.

“Who?” he found himself asking.

“Ella and Aden.” Roman said bitterly. “I heard them talking. She told me she was seeing Rachel but she was with Aden and then he put his arms around her and kissed her.”

“God.” Miles exclaimed.

“No, bloody Aden Jefferies.” Roman ground out. “If it were God I could deal with him, but how can I hurt either of them?” he asked. “Aden is my son.”

Miles sighed and took a long drink.

“What a …” he began.

“Exactly.” Roman agreed drinking straight from the bottle.

Ella walked in through the door and stepped into the lounge.

“Hey Mum.” Gabby said. “I’ve got the kids washed and changed into pyjamas. They are upstairs watching a dvd.

“Thank you Gabby.” Ella said walking over to her.

She placed the capsule with the sleeping Lily on the table.

“How is she?” Gabby asked.

Ella shrugged.

“Couldn’t find anything wrong with her, oh and Aden knows I’m pregnant and apparently there is a sweepstake on when Roman and I are getting back together.”

“I know.” Gabby said with a soft chuckle. “I have two months.”

Ella let out a laugh and leaned forward to place a kiss on her cheek.

“You lot are plotting something.” She declared.

Gabby laughed.

“Like what?” she asked. “You and Roman need to be left alone to sort yourselves out.”

Ella nodded.

“I’m not planning on getting back with him Gabby.”

“Why not?” she asked her mother looking at her face.

“It wasn’t working. Too much going on all the time.” she said biting her lip. “We kept falling into patterns of behaviour that led to us hurting the other one.”

“Sounds as though you just quoted your counsellor.” Gabby pointed out.

“Ok, try dealing with being accused of sleeping with someone just to make them do something all the time.” Ella burst out with. “And you try and help the other person and it just gets pushed back at you. He lost his temper and hurt me.”

“Ella?” Gabby asked quietly.

She looked down at the floor.

“Roman was drunk.” She began and then stopped talking as she heard movement from the hallway. “Never mind.” She said and stood up picking up Lily and headed out of the room.

“Meggy.” She murmured seeing her daughter sitting on the stairs holding a bag. She was fully dressed.

“I want to go live with Daddy.” She said quickly.

“Ok.” Ella said. “I need to get Lily to bed will you help me a moment.”

Meggy looked at her and glared before backing away and moving up the rest of the stairs. Ella followed slowly wondering what was wrong with Meggy. She had just about had enough for the day.

“Right then lets get her to bed.” She said softly moving around the nursery and changing the baby into a clean nappy and her sleep suit before placing her in the cot. She pulled the blanket carefully over her and eased out of the room.

“Ok now you.” She addressed Meggy. “Come in here please.” She asked her walking into her bedroom.

Meggy looked at her and then slowly eased into the room.

“You can put your bag down.” Ella murmured. “And come and sit.” She added patting the bed.

Her daughter looked at her before dropping her bag on the floor and dragging her feet she moved over to the bed and let herself be picked up and placed to sit on the bed next to her mother.

“Your Daddy has a two bedroom place Meggy and his friend has the second bedroom. Now I’m sure we can arrange for you to spend the night but I’m not sure about you living with him.”

Meggy folded her arms and looked at the floor.

“I don’t want to live with you.” She said her bottom lip trembling. “I don’t love you Mummy.”

Ella nodded at her daughter although she wanted to pick her up and hold her.

“Obviously I’ve hurt you Meggy. Can you tell me how so I can make it better?” she said tears clogging the back of her throat.

“You didn’t want me.” Meggy said after a long pause. “I heard Daddy saying.”

“Oh Meggy.” Ella gasped and blinked back tears trying not to fall apart.

“You were going to give me away.” Meggy told her tears falling down her face.

“Meggy I was I admit it.” Ella said. “But there is a reason ok.” She moved and arranged the pillows against the headboard. She lifted Meggy up so her back was against them and sat next to her. She took Meggy’s hand in her own. “After Mummy and Daddy had the twins Meggy something happened to Mummy.” Ella began her voice breaking. “A bad man took me away and he made me do the thing that puts baby’s in Mummy’s tummy even though I didn’t want to.” She said. “When I found out that I was going to have a baby I didn’t know if you were the bad man’s baby or Daddy’s.”

Meggy gasped as she took in what she was being told. “Am I the bad mans?” she asked slowly.

Ella gave her a smile.

“No Baby, your Daddy is your Daddy. We both loved you when you were growing in my tummy even though we didn't know for sure who was your daddy. We talked a lot and decided that maybe we should find you another Mummy and Daddy in case you belonged to the bad man. Not because we didn't love you a whole load but if you were the bad man’s we didn’t want you to be hurt.”

“Hurt?” Meggy asked.

“Well you know how Mummy gets sad sometimes and she has scary dreams.” She asked her and saw Meggy nod. “We thought that if you were the bad man’s then when Mummy has her sad moments I wouldn’t cuddle you or I might find reasons to spank you. So that’s why we thought that maybe a new home for you would be better.”

Meggy began sobbing. “You’ve never spanked me.” She gasped out.

“I know.” Ella said quietly and lifted her into her arms. She held her close and stroked her hair letting her cry for a while. “Shush now.” She said after a time. “I love you Meggy.” Ella told her. “I loved you when you were in my tummy and I loved you when you were born and I knew I wanted to keep you.”

“How do you know I’m not the bad man’s baby?” she asked fretfully.

“Because when you opened your eyes they were Daddy’s eyes.” She told her. “Your Daddy wasn’t the first one to hold you because when you were born they gave you to me just for a second and I felt your heart beating next to mine. They took you away then and made sure you had all your fingers and toes and I went to sleep. When I woke up your Daddy was cuddling you and I said I wanted to hold you Megan Hope Harris.” Ella told her rocking her back and forth gently in her arms. “And I saw you and wanted to hold you. So Daddy placed you in my arms and we gave you your name.”

“Mummy.” Meggy said tiredly.

“Yes?” she said.

“Can I sleep with you tonight?” she asked.

“Of course you can my Megs.” Ella told her. “Go get in your night clothes and come back in here.”

Meggy eased off the bed.

“Meggy.” Ella said softly.

“Mummy?”

“I do love you Meggy and we really wanted you ok.”

Meggy nodded before moving out of the room.

Ella found herself wiping away tears as she redid the pillows on the bed and arranged the covers ready for Meggy. She lifted over Travel bear from her dresser and placed him on the pillow. Meggy came back in after a moment.

“Ok hunni I need to go say goodnight to the others. Hop into bed I won’t be long.” She murmured.

Meggy nodded and climbed into the bed. Ella placed the bear into her arms and pulled up the covers. She leaned down and kissed her before easing out of the room. Heading up the stairs she said goodnight to her other children.

“Is Meggy ok?” Sophie asked her .

“She’s a little upset but she’ll get lots of cuddles and hopefully she’ll feel better soon. “ Ella found herself saying.

Sophie nodded and reached up to give Ella a second hug.

“That one is for Meggy.” She said laying back down.

Ella smiled.

“Goodnight Sophie.” she murmured and eased out of the room. She went down the stairs and into her bedroom. Meggy was asleep already and she sighed. Collecting a nightdress from her dresser she moved into the en suite and changed before brushing her teeth. Moving back into the bedroom she climbed into bed and cuddled her daughter. Within minutes she heard the covers rustling and the others climbing into the bed. Meggy woke and looked over at her brothers and sister before cuddling Ella again.

“See Meggy we all love you.” Ella told her softly.

“Love you too.” She said as she went to sleep again.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 12

Ella walked into Miles house. She’d dropped the kids off at school and gone to the diner to have a chat with Roman to be told that he wasn’t there and Miles looked like death when he’d put in an appearance to collect coffee.

“Ella.” Miles muttered from his seat at the dining table. His voice was raspy and hoarse.

“Is he here?” she said tilting her head and looking at him.

Miles nodded and then gave a groan. He pointed to the sleeping figure on his couch and stood up shakily to get fresh coffee.

Ella walked over to Roman and bent down near his head. She placed her fingers in her mouth and let out the loudest whistle.

“Addison get the hell out of here.” Roman muttered dragging the blanket further over his head.

“Rise and shine L T.” Ella called out loudly.

He groaned and eased into a sitting position and swore at her.

She grinned sadistically and lifted her hand and slapped him as hard as she could. Miles watched from the kitchen and winced when he heard the sound of her hand connected with Roman’s cheek.

“What the hell did you do that for?” Roman muttered angrily.

“Are you sober now?” she asked him folding her arms across herself.

He nodded rubbing his face.

“Then listen. The next time you call me Addison I will go to court and change the name of the children to Addison legally.” She said angrily. “And second where the hell were you when your daughter needed you?"

He flinched and stood up.

“First off you can’t do that without my permission I am their father,” he said back to her. “And second what the hell right do you have to my name anyway? You divorced me remember? That means you don’t want anything to do with me.”

“Well if you feel that strongly about it you can have your stupid name back.” She hissed. “And you can forget about the warm fuzzy arrangement we have for you to see the kids because the next time you see them it will be over my dead body.” She stepped back and caught herself on the edge of the coffee table and without warning felt herself falling. Her hip struck the corner of the table and she cried out at the pain that spread through her half twisting in and effort to try and land so that the impact would be lessened.

“Ella.” Roman cried out frantically.

He reached out and caught hold of her arm only managing to slow the fall as she hit the floor with a loud impact.

“Oh my god.” She cried out after a moment.

“Ella.” He said again.

“Don’t touch me.” She muttered and he dropped hold of the arm he was holding on to. She stayed still for a moment before easing into a sitting position. By then Miles was standing next to her and he bent down.

“Ella are you ok?” he asked his eyes full of concern.

She gave a small nod knowing that she wouldn’t be ok until she had seen Aden or Rachel.

“Can you help me up please?” she asked after a moment.

Miles glanced at Roman as he nodded and saw that other man had paled when she asked for his help and not Roman’s. He placed his arms around her back and eased her up supporting her weight.

“Ella.” Roman said quietly.

“Meggy.” She muttered. “Overheard us talking in the study. I had to explain to her last night about Gardy. I tried to get hold of you but obviously you had more important things to do.” The last was said with a look at the empty bottle on the table.

Roman blanched and stepped back. He shook his head before turning on his heel and racing out of the house. Ella watched him go with a look of distress on her face.

“Miles can you do me a favour?” she said after a moment.

He looked at her and nodded.

“Do you think you can please take me to hospital?” she asked wincing as she tried to move.

“Oh my god Ella are you pregnant?” he asked after a moment.

She nodded.

“Is it Roman’s?” he asked next and felt her punch his arm feebly. “I’ll take that as a yes. I was just checking you know no need to get violent.”

She gave a small tight grin and let him help her to his car. Within minutes they had set off.

Roman stood on the top of the cliff at the lookout. He brought out his phone and saw that it was switched off and he groaned. He switched it on and saw immediately a collection of messages. Calling his voicemail he heard Ella’s voice telling him Lily checked out ok but if she had anymore problems then she would have to take her back to see Aden in the morning. The next message from her was about Meggy and he listened to it feeling his stomach churning. He looked at the text messages then and grimaced. Sighing he walked back to his car and headed home. He needed to grab a shower and then speak to Ella. That is if she hadn’t got a restraining order out against him, he thought with black humour.

Ella lay on the bed in the exam room with an ice pack on her hip. Where she had caught the corner of the table it had turned a fetching shade of blue already.

“Hello.” Rachel called out as she moved into the room. “How are we doing?”

“We are bloody sore.” Ella replied.

Rachel grinned.

“Any cramping El?” She asked.

Ella shook her head.

“No I think it’s more panic than anything else.” She said easing up and leaning on one elbow.

“Ok.” Rachel murmured before taking her blood pressure. “It’s a little bit low.” She commented.

“I don’t know how because I got so mad this morning at Roman.” Ella confessed.

“Really?” Rachel grinned.

Ella looked up and groaned.

“Are you in the sweepstake too?” she asked and saw the other woman nod.

“Who else is in it?” Ella muttered.

“Well I just left Miles talking to Aden so no doubt he is now. Then there is Leah, Irene, Nic and Geoff, Danni and I think Mike is.” She paused and looked at the fuming woman on the examination table. “Just think you could actually organise it so you win.” She pointed out.

Ella muttered something under her breath.

“I don’t want to be back with Roman.” She said quietly. “I don’t want him.”

“Then why come back to the Bay?” Rachel asked her. “You could have moved into your studio and let him see the kids.”

She swung her feet off the bed and eased up until she was standing looking around the pale mint painted room and the cream tiles on the floor.

“For the last time I do not want to be with Roman.” She bit out.

“I would believe you El but you appear to have a love bite on your neck.” Rachel murmured.

“Where?” Ella groaned her hand automatically touching the spot on the side of her neck that Roman had nibbled on when they’d kissed at the weekend. “I don’t have on do I? That was just a test.”

Rachel nodded.

“Please tell everyone to stop ok? I don’t need the stress.” She muttered placing a hand on her belly.

Rachel looked over at her and gave a small smile.

“I can’t do that Ella because we want you and Roman together. While you were gone he refused to let anyone say anything bad about you. He refused to let Jacko look for you. He told everyone that you deserved to be given space and if they had a problem with that then they could deal with him.”

Ella nodded before bowing her head for a moment.

“Do you know what happened?” she asked her voice full of hurt.

Rachel looked over at her.

“No.” she said.

In the same voice she told Rachel everything and when she finished talking she was crying.

Rachel moved over to her and held her.

“Elliot is gone now Ella and he can’t you anymore.”

She nodded.

“I know. But it is him lying to me like he did that really got to me. We were hurting so much and he still hurt me by lying. He should have known that if he’d said he hadn’t sorted out that situation I would have given him more time but coming there on the pretext that he’d had sorted out everything just because he suspected Elliot had followed me. What sort of marriage is that?”

Rachel nodded and stroked her hair.

“Seems to me that you’ve forgiven him worse things?” she pointed out after a few minutes. “And are you saying you haven’t lied to him? There was that whole Gabby situation.”

Ella nodded.

“I know. And that was part of it. Elliot, Gabby, the Mark stuff, his parents. The times where we were just plain mean to each other.” she pointed out. “You know I love him for me there will never be anyone else in my life but it is over Rachel.”

“Sounds as though you are sure.”

“Knock knock.” Miles called from the doorway.

“Come in.” Ella said wiping her eyes.

“How are we?” he asked looking at her.

“I’m fine.” Ella pointed out. “What did you go for?” she asked indicating the sweepstakes.

“After this morning I went for 4 months.” He grinned.

“This morning?” Rachel asked.

“Oh general screaming and violence.” Miles grinned.

“I was made but I tell you that worked.” Ella gave him a sudden cheeky grin.

“Sobered him up?” Miles said with dawning understanding.

Ella nodded.

“Than I am in awe of you Master.” He said spreading his hands out and bowing to her.

She laughed.

“I need to go home. Gabby has been babysitting and I need to see to Lily.”

“Is she ok?” Rachel asked. “Sorry I couldn’t make the appointment yesterday.”

“Aden explained that you had an emergency don’t worry about it. Yes she seems fine.” Ella grinned. “Like she was just doing it for attention.”

Rachel laughed.

“A little bit of Nic already?”

“Hey!” Ella muttered still grinning. “Maybe.” She conceded.

Miles came over and helped her walk out of the room and to the car.

“Just bruised.” She told him at his enquiring look.

“You know that was the first time he got drunk.” Miles told her conversationally. “He’s come round for a beer or several but not off his head drunk. “

Ella looked over at Miles’ profile.

“Got to ask yourself what he saw or overheard that made him give up hope.” Miles said.

“What do you mean?” Ella asked quickly.

“Maybe you should have a think about it.” he said pulling up to her house. “I’ll make arrangements for us to drop your car off later.”

“Thank you Miles. I need to ask another favour.”

“You want me to keep quiet about the pregnancy?” he guessed.

She nodded and leaned over and kissed him on his cheek.

“I promise that I will tell him ok.” she murmured.

She climbed out of the car and walked into the house stiffly. She looked over at Gabby who was speaking on the phone and indicated that she was going to bed making her way up the stairs. She pulled out her phone and keys and collapsed in the bed fully dressed.

Chapter 13

Ella woke up when Meggy rushed into her room.

“Daddy is here.” She announced loudly.

Ella eased up in the bed and accepted the hug that Meggy gave her trying no to wince when she squeezed just a little bit too hard.

“Ok Megs.” Ella murmured.

She stood slowly and moved to the bathroom splashing cold water on her face before heading down the stairs. She saw Roman immediately standing almost in the doorway and nearly laughed. She’d never seen him this uncertain before and it was kind of cute.

“What do you want?” she asked him.

“I came to apologise for not being here last night.” He began.

He looked over at her taking in the baggy T shirt she was wearing and the shorts. Her legs were long and tanned and he struggled not to stare at them or the way her hair was scruffy. She’d obviously just woken up and he immediately wondered what had tired her out or more importantly who, as a surge of jealously ran through him.

“Fine.” Ella told him.

She went into the kitchen and put the kettle on before heading into the lounge and greeting her other children. After a moment Roman joined her.

“El can we talk?” he asked softly.

“No.” she told him.

“Mummy.” Meggy said quickly.

“Megs.” She asked.

“I thought you and Daddy were friends.” She said with a pout.

Ella laughed.

“Blackmail Megs?” She asked.

“That depends will it work?” she murmured.

“No.” she told her daughter pressing a kiss to her head.

Meggy shrugged and looked over at her dad who was grinning at her.

“El.” He tried again.

She looked round the room at the suddenly hopeful faces of her kids including Lily who was sitting up in her playpen and she sighed.

“Fine.” She muttered leading him to the study. “What do you want?” she asked him spinning around suddenly and facing him. She felt her hip creek and longed for a long hot soak in the tub.

“I’m sorry. My phone was off.” He began.

She shrugged and waited for the next bit.

“If I have to I will go to court for custody.” He said feeling a sudden surge of anger.

She tilted her head and gave him a look folding her arms across herself.

He glared at her expecting her to respond and when she didn’t he looked at the ceiling.

“You said that to sober me up?” he muttered finally realising.

She nodded.

“But I swear if you call me Addison again I will change their names.” She told him.

“Come here.” He muttered pulling her into his arms.

“Hey, careful.” She said feeling sore.

He looked at her again an expression of concern on his face.

“Let me see.” He asked gently.

“I’ve just bruised my hip.” She dismissed, thinking that as she was starting to show with the pregnancy and she didn’t want him looking too closely.

“El.” He murmured his voice full of concern.

He pressed a gentle kiss to her lips and felt her arms wind themselves around his neck. She kissed him back before easing away.

“El.” He said again looking into her eyes.

“We are going to see the horse tomorrow. “ she reminding him. “How about after we go out to dinner?”

He looked at her and nodded biting his tongue not to accept eagerly and pant like a puppy.

She moved to the door and opened in before turning around and winking at him.

“And for the last time no we aren’t putting the kids up for adoption.” She said loudly.

Roman nodded at her a grin on his face.

“I keep telling you it’s the only solution. We’ll just get rid of them and move to Hawaii.” He said with a straight face.

“Mummy.” Sammy gasped out and ran over to her. “Daddy?” he muttered looking at them.

“How could you?” Sophie asked.

“Perhaps you shouldn’t eavesdrop?” Roman suggested.

He looked up at them and then over at the others.

“They made me.” He murmured quietly.

“Homework done?” Ella asked them and saw some halfhearted nods. “Ok my babes, it’s like this. Homework done after school every day.”

They nodded.

“Otherwise you won’t get the chance to do the stuff you like doing.” She added moving over to the round pine dining table and sitting at it. Roman gave her a look and moved to sit next to her.

“Let’s see the workbooks.” She instructed them and heard muted laughter coming from Gabby.

“See I told you.” She murmured.

Nic and Belle looked over at Geoff and Aden figuring out the BBQ and chuckled. With a steady hand Nic poured out a glass of wine for the other woman and smiled.

“I wonder if we’ll ever have Bbq’s with Ella and Roman again.” Belle mused. Taking a sip of the crisp white wine.

“Oh probably.” Nic said with a sneaky looking smile on her face.

Belle looked over at her and grinned.

“What do you know that we don’t?” she asked her.

“Oh just that a certain person is about to hear the patter of little feet.” Nic said before she could stop herself.

“Ella?” Belle gasped out spilling her wine over her hand. “No way! My god Nic haven’t they heard of birth control?” she murmured a light in her eyes.

Aden looked over at the two giggling women and sighed.

“What’s up?” Geoff asked him.

“You give them a sip of wine and look what they turn into.” Aden mused.

Geoff chuckled.

“And don’t forget what gossips they turn into.”

“I had Miles up at the hospital today. He’s opted for four months.” Aden told him grinning. “Seems Roman and Ella had a huge bust up today.”

“What is that Babe?” Belle asked.

“Roman and Ella had a fight.” He said. “Miles brought her to the hospital.”

Nic looked at him her face paling.

“Why?” She asked quickly.

“Ella had a fall.” Aden said looking over at the BBQ. He did a sudden doubletake. “Do you know something?” he asked her.

“Is she ok?” Geoff asked him.

“Ok you know something?” Aden asked in turn.

They all cast glances at each other.

“I might know something you know.” Geoff said with a flash of his grin.

Nic looked over at her husband thinking how handsome he looked. She moved to his said and put her arm around his waist.

“So you think that she’ll be speaking to him soon?” Belle asked raising her eyebrows.

“Is this one of those games where we speak in code and wait for one person to break?” Nic asked them. “Because if I don’t tell someone soon I’ll burst.”

“But Nic you already told me.” Geoff pointed out to his beautiful wife placing a kiss on her pouting lips.

“And you just told me.” Belle said.

“I also told Gabby and Danni but they already knew.”

“Miles knows.” Aden pointed out.

“I think Leah might have guessed she served up Banana Milkshakes to Ella the other day. One to drink in and one to take away.”

“Great does everyone know?” Nic groaned.

“I know.” Aden said. “And yet Roman hasn’t figured it out yet.”

“How can Roman not have noticed?” Belle murmured sipping the wine. “She’s drinking milkshakes and wearing baggy clothes”

“ And drinking Decaff.” Nic added to the list.

“You know what would be funny?” Aden asked them. “If Nic were to finally blurt it out just as Roman walked in behind her.”

Nic groaned even as Geoff and Belle laughed, albeit nervously.

“I have to say it.” Nic said and looked nervously around her. “Ella is pregnant.” She added in a lower tone of voice.

“Roman!” Aden gasped out an expression of horror on his face and looking at a spot somewhere past Nic’s shoulder.

Nic spun around her mouth dropping open before turning back to Aden and smacking him on the arm.

“That wasn’t funny.” She gasped out glaring at him.

Aden and Belle burst out laughing. Geoff grinned at her before he started laughing. She joined in after a minute.

Chapter 14

Roman took another shower and walked through to his bedroom. Pulling on underwear he looked in his wardrobe before pulling out black trousers and checked them over before pulling them on. He teamed them with a crisp white shirt and looked for a tie. He fished it out of the back of the wardrobe and checked it over before wrapping it around his neck and knotting it. Looking over in the mirror he gave a small wry grin as he checked out his reflection. Picking up his shoes he carried them through to the kitchen and rescued the shoe polish from the back of the cupboard. He scoped out a newspaper from the recycling and spread it on the table before he began to polish his shoes.

“Going to a lot of trouble aren’t you?” Nic asked him from the sofa where she was sitting with Leona.

“Nic have you moved in?” he responded.

She gave him a grin and then tilted her head as she looked at him.

Her eyes narrowed as she considered what he was wearing. “You need a belt.” She murmured.

He looked down and then dropped the shoe he was buffing and striding to his bedroom.

“You shouldn’t be teasing him.” Lee scolded.

Nic shrugged.

“I’m sure he can handle it.” she muttered. “Anyway you were telling me about the hospital.” She added.

“I’m beginning to feel like a beached whale.” Lee complained.

Nic laughed.

“I remember feeling like that.” She told the other girl.

Lee gave her a look and then picked up her bowl of soup. She looked longingly at the buttered bread and slowly picked up her spoon.

Roman walked out of his bedroom hooking a belt through the loops of his trousers. He fastened the buckle and paused looking at Nic waiting for her assessment.

“Much better.” She said giving him a look of approval. “Do you know where you are going?” she asked him.

“No Ella is driving because she’s not drinking. “ he murmured and missed the two girls looking at each other a grin on their faces as he went back to polishing his shoes.

At last he was satisfied with them and he put everything away not noticing that he had a smear of polish on his white shirt. Nic gasped and pointed before grinning as he swore and ran back in his bedroom.

“Guess he is nervous.” Lee commented.

“Been a long time since he went on a date.” Nic pointed out and giggled.

Ella walked down the stairs and saw Danni and Gabby waiting for her.

“What is this, an intervention?” she asked the two girls smiling at how alike they looked.

Gabby looked her over.

“This won’t do.” She said glancing at Danni who was nodding.

“You need make up on and a dress.” Danni told her.

“Nothing fits comfortably.” Ella groaned as they made her walk back up the stairs.

They rifled through her wardrobe and picked out a loose linen mix dress.

“It wrinkles.” Ella pointed out.

“Well we’ll know if you have a good night.” Gabby grinned.

“Will you behave?” Ella groaned and blushed.

“At least we don’t have to tell her to be careful.” Danni grinned.

“Stop!” Ella muttered and stormed over to the wardrobe. She opened the section where Roman’s clothes used to hang and felt a pang of unhappiness. She reached out and her hand brushed the hooded top he liked to wear when the weather cooled that had somehow got included in her clothes before picking up the dress she had originally planned to wear. She waved it in front of the two girls and saw them nod.

“Ok.” Ella mumbled and moved into the en suite.

“You do her hair and I’ll do the make up.” Danni suggested.

“Are you sure we should do this?” Gabby said after a moment.

Danni looked at her sister and nodded.

“Operation MD remember.” She pointed out.

Ella came out in the dress and walked over to her dressing table lifting out different underwear. She moved back in the bathroom and they heard muttering before she stepped back out.

“Er El.” Danni murmured.

“Yes I know they are bigger.” She said glancing down at her cleavage. “They always get bigger.” She added.

Gabby laughed.

“So that’s why Roman keeps getting you pregnant.” She said.

Ella laughed.

“no it isn’t.” she told them. “But he doesn’t complain.”

“I bet.” Danni told her with a grin on her face.

Ella blushed.

“So this dinner.” Gabby murmured looking over at the still blushing Ella.

“I’m going to tell him about the baby,” she proclaimed.

“Ouh!” Danni exclaimed excitedly.

“No Danni we aren’t getting back together because I am pregnant.”

Gabby and Danni looked at each other.

“Seems like a good idea to me. Lily isn’t out of nappies yet and you are having another one.” Gabby said logically.

“I coped with twins Gabby.” Ella pointed out sitting at the dressing table and pulling out her makeup. She looked in the large mirror and picked up the bronzer swirling the brush in it before adding a dusting of powder to her face. She added eyeshadow watching the two girls behind her.

“What ‘s wrong?” she asked them.

“We want you and Roman back together.” Gabby blurted and covered her mouth with her hand.

Ella let out a giggle and spun around on the stool.

“You haven’t exactly been hiding it. Girls.” She said softly.

“Well yeah. You and Roman.” Danni said sinking on the edge of the bed. You always get back together.”

“I know Danni but it will take a lot for it to happen this time.”

Gabby looked down and then lifted her head and looked over at her.

“Are you admitting that it could happen?” Gabby asked.

Ella nodded.

“I still have feelings for him you know that but to make things work then, well its” she trailed off. “Oh I don’t’ know what I’m saying these damn hormones are messing with my head.” she added thinking of agreeing to sleep with Roman the other week not to mention the actually sleeping with him.

She spun back around and looked in the mirror adding eyeshadow and then mascara.

“Is this like a date?” Gabby asked quietly.

Ella shook her head.

“Nope.” she said picking up her favourite perfume and spraying herself with it. She added her favourite lipgloss and looked critically in the mirror before looking at Gabby and then Danni.

“I always wear this colour.” She said at their expressions.

Danni nodded.

“And the perfume?” Gabby asked her.

“Look ok, he bought me it but it needs using up!” she said standing up.

She smoother her hands down the silky material of the pale green dress before heading to the wardrobe and pulling out a pair of black sandals to go with it. She slipped her feet into them before collecting a black handbag. She transferred her things into it and stepped out the door, walking slowly down the stairs.

“Wow Mum.” Georgie said from the lounge.

“Thanks now bed.” She said grinning at him.

He stood and walked over to her.

“I expect you back early it’s a school night.” He murmured.

She gave a chuckle.

“What are you doing down anyway?” she asked him.

“The girls are watching a chick flick so I came to watch something else.”

Ella nodded.

“Only another 30 minutes then it is bedtime.” She instructed going out the door.

Danni watched her go from upstairs before seeing Georgie texting on his phone.

“Dad!” Nic said looking at him.

“What?” he asked at the door about to go out and wait for Ella downstairs.

“That shirt is awful.” She muttered.

He looked at it and then at her.

“Nic, if this is some kind of wind up.” He muttered.

“You want to wear the nice black one I bought you for Christmas.” She said softly. “And well lose the tie because you know you hate them and you’ll be uncomfortable.”

He looked at her and then nodded moving into his bedroom to change.

“Phew.” Nic murmured.

“What was that about?” Lee asked.

“He was wearing his green shirt.” Nic said.

“I noticed that.

“El was wearing her green dress.” She told the other girl.

Leona giggled.

“Is this better Nicole?” Roman asked coming out of his room after getting changed. There was just a hint of irony in his voice.

She nodded as she considered his clothes.

“Much better.”

He gave her a look and moved out of the apartment going down the stairs slowly. He didn’t know why but he was nervous and tried to think of the last time he had been on a date. He sighed and kicked himself for thinking this was a date. Ok, he was going to dinner with a beautiful woman but she would probably hit him for even thinking of this as a date. Looking up he saw Ella pulling up in the car and he moved over and climbed into the passenger side.

He looked over at her and smiled.

“Hello.” She said softly smiling at him. “What’s that look for?” she asked.

“Well it seems that our respective children have been in contact. I was wearing my green shirt.”

She giggled.

“I like you in that shirt.”

“This one.” He asked indicating the black shirt. “Or the green one?”

“Well.” She began considering him. “Both. That black one makes your eyes stand out.” she said and blushed.

He let out a laugh.

“Where are we going?” he asked.

She reached over and switched on the stereo.

“Just a restaurant.” She said. “I got told that it’s pretty good.”

He nodded.

“El is this going to make me hate you?” he asked.

She gave a small nod.

“Maybe. “ she told him and place her bag on his lap.

“Hold that for me. Have we reached a decision about Princess?” she asked after a moment.

“Yes.” He said. “But I have a problem.”

“Money?” she asked as she negotiated a roundabout.

He nodded and then knowing that she could see that he said. “Yes. I know you’ve got enough but I want to contribute.”

“How about I pay for it and you pay me back instalments toward it?” she suggested.

He smiled.

“With interest?” he asked softly.

She giggled at the tone of voice he used.

“Roman is that ok? I’m not stepping on your pride. I know that you want to provide for the kids and I want you to be involved.”

He sighed and reached out placing his hand on her knee in the same fashion she did when he was driving.

“No that is ok dear.” He said in an effeminate tone of voice.

She giggled and momentarily placed her hand on top of his before returning it to the steering wheel and focusing on the road.

“Where are we going?” he asked again a while later.

Ella shot him a look and then back at the road ahead.

“You know where we are going?” she pointed out.

“I do but I’m hoping I’m wrong.” He muttered.

“Roman.” She sighed his name.

She looked ahead and spotted a parking space easing into it slowly. She finally parked up and put the brake on.

“If you really can’t do this.” She began.

“No we are here now.” He grumbled.

She leaned over and kissed him. Automatically her arms wound around his neck and she felt his hands stroke down her side. She felt his fingers tease past the side of her inflated breasts and she gave a little whimper.

“Oh.” He said quietly before kissing her again.

He lifted his hand and cupped her breast feeling her moving against him, pressing herself against him.

“El.” He gasped out.

She pulled back and looked at him her face flushed her eyes huge in her face.

“I’ve removed your lipgloss.” He pointed out.

She nodded.

“I put it in my bag.” She said. “You have a habit of doing that,”

He let out a laugh.

“Well we need to stay here a moment.” He said quietly.

She looked at his face and blushed.

“Oh.” She gasped out realising.

“Yeah,” he murmured. “You have a habit of doing that to me.” He whispered near her ear.

She giggled and switched on the interior light reaching for her bag from his lap.

”Careful!” he said and their eyes met.

“Oh my god Roman you can’t be ….” She stopped at the blazing look on his face.

“I’ve missed you.” He stated.

She gave him a small smile and collected her bag. Within a moment she had reapplied her lipgloss and fluffed up her hair.

“Ready.” She asked.

He nodded and climbed out of the car.

She gave one last look in the mirror before joining him on the pavement and locking the car. He put his arm around her and she sighed as she leant into him.

“Missed me?” he asked.

She glared at him before nodding. They walked along the street before going into his parents restaurant.

“Hello.” Called out a waiter moving over to them.

“Table for Harris.” Roman murmured.

“Oh yes.” The waiter murmured and led them through the busy restaurant to a private dinning room at the back. “Can I get you a drink before you order?” he asked them.

“A tall glass of fizzy mineral water for me.” Ella said.

Roman grinned and named a bottle of red that he liked to drink.

“Making the most of this?” she asked as they sat down at the table and the waiter had left.

He grinned.

“I might be.” He said to her.

She gave him a look that made his heart leap in his chest and he tried to tell himself it wasn’t a date but she was looking at him like she used to and they weren’t arguing. Then they had already kissed he thought shuffling in his seat as he remembered the hot steamy kiss in the car only moments ago.

The door opened and a young woman came in with a tray of drinks. She looked at Roman and gave him a small smile. Ella felt a rush of jealousy going through her and then gave the other woman a closer look. She saw a resemblance with her husband and looked back at him seeing the changing expression on his face. She placed the tray down and handed over the drinks pouring a sample of wine in Roman’s glass before placing the bottle beside it.

“Megs.” He said his voice hoarse.

Ella looked at him and reached out her hand. He took it in the grip of his own and then noticed that she was wearing her wedding ring. He found himself unable to speak for a moment before Megs looked at him.

“Hello Roman.” She said.

“Oh my god Megs.” He said.

She smiled at him.

“I’ll leave you two to talk.” Ella told him. “Its ok.” she added pressing a kiss to his lips before she moved out of the room. She encountered his parents outside the door and they walked with her to the office.

“Thank you for doing this Ella.” Alyssa said.

“No need to thank me. I just hope this is for the best.” She said folding her arms across herself. She caught Alyssa looking at her, the other woman’s glance going down her body. She met the other woman’s gaze evenly knowing that she had guessed about her pregnancy,

“I take it she has something serious to tell him.” Ella looked at Roman’s parents. She saw their expressions and gasped. Spinning around she moved out of the room and went back to the private dinning room. She saw Roman sitting at the table looking pale. She moved over to him and felt him shake as she sat next to him on the bench.

“What?” she whispered feeling his arms go around her.

Megs looked at her before she spoke.

“I’m sorry Roman.” She murmured to her brother.

“When?” Ella asked.

“It doesn’t matter.” Megs said.

Ella nodded but turned to Roman and held him tight.

“Shush my husband.” She told him.

“Megs used to feed the stray cats out the back. Not here but at the other restaurant.” Roman told her. “He grabbed her using one of her cats as bait.” He stopped unable to say anymore.

“It’s ok.” Ella told him. “I understand.” She told both of them. “Explains why you hated Cookie.”

He gave her a look.

“You think I knew?”

“On some level maybe.” Ella replied and looked back over at Megs. “We have a cat called Cookie.” She explained.

Megs nodded her gaze still on Roman.

“I’m sorry Megs.” He said finally.

She looked at him and grinned.

“It wasn’t your fault.” She told him.

“He knows that.” Ella said with a half smile. “But he’ll still feel guilty.”

He gave her a look and then smiled.

“Are you coming to the anniversary party?” Megs asked him.

Ella shook her head.

“Roman has this annual thing he does with Miles so I think he’ll be busy. We’re looking into it though.” She lied feeling Roman tensing beside her at his sisters’ question. He flashed her and look then gave her a grin.

“I’ll leave you to eat in peace.” Megs said quickly.

Roman looked at his sister and stood up embracing her/

“I can’t believe how talk you got.” He told her.

“How tall I got?” she scoffed. “Have you looked in a mirror lately.”

He chuckled stepping back he watched her move out of the room.

“I’m sorry I didn’t know.” Ella said quietly.

He moved back to sit with her feeling her hand on his arm. He picked her up and placed her on his lap holding her tight.

“Uh huh.” He said. “And what is with the ring?” he asked.

“I didn’t think you’d told your parents.” She stopped as she looked into his face.

“I haven’t told anyone.” He said quietly. “I keep hoping I can change your mind.”

She sighed and leaned against him.

“Lets have some dinner.” She suggested after a time.

He nodded and allowed her to ease up off his lap. She moved to sit beside him sipping at the cool water from her glass. He took a sip from his wine and picked up the menu looking at the list.

“What do you recommend?” she asked him.

He smiled over at her.

“My dad used to do this special sauce with angel hair pasta.” He explained and leaned closer to her pointing it out on the menu.

She nodded at him and indicated another dish.

“Yes that’s nice too.” He told her.

“What are you having?” she asked.

He looked at him and grinned.

“I thought I would start with the roasted Camembert cheese.”

Ella stopped herself from groaning with difficulty as she looked at that on the menu. Her pregnancy meant she avoided soft cheeses like that.

“I’ll have the soup.” She said trying to tell herself that she would enjoy that just as much.

“Hello.” Marco said coming into the room.

“Dad.” Roman greeted him.

“So what is this? Nearly fours months without a word.”

Ella took hold of Roman’s hand.

“You know what it’s like.” She said quietly.

Marco nodded and looked at them.

“What would you like to eat?” he asked.

“Ella wants some of your soup and I want the Camembert.” Roman said. “We would both like the pasta.”

Marco nodded and moved out to get their food.

“No in touch at all?” Ella asked.

Roman looked down.

“I didn’t want to explain that you were gone.” He pointed out his reason. “And I’ve not been in the habit of talking to them so it was more natural not to.”

She nodded and gave him a look from under her lashes.

“Fine.” He said. “I’ll stay in contact and I have no idea how you can nag me with just a look.”

“Practice dear.” She told him patting his hand.

:wub: For Pollymoon, because of her ever lovely comments and Louise 2983... welcome back to the forum

Chapter 15

“You are going to come back soon?” Alyssa asked for the 5th time.

Roman nodded.

“I’ll give you a call next week promise.” He told them.

He leaned forward and hugged Megs before doing likewise with his Dad and then his Mum. Alyssa cast a look at Ella and gave a small smile before giving her a hug.

“When are you going to tell him?” she whispered in her ear. “About the little one.”

Ella eased back and looked over at Roman talking to his dad and Megs.

“Soon.” She said.

Alyssa nodded.

“Are you coming?” she called to him.

He nodded and moved over to her side, a devilish expression on his face. He put his arm around her and pulled her to his side pressing her close. Leaning over he kissed her full on the lips grinning at the flash in her eyes as she looked at him.

“Goodnight.” Roman called out.

He walked out with Ella still in his arms and grinned.

“It so isn’t funny Mr.” She told him.

“On the contrary it is hilarious.” He murmured.

She looked at him and couldn’t help smiling.

“Get in the car.” She ordered.

He opened the passenger side and got into the car doing up his seatbelt. She walked around the driver’s side and did likewise. He glanced over at her and gave her a look.

“You aren’t going to run out of petrol are you?” he asked. “Because I’ve heard that excuse before.”

She let out a laugh.

“Depends.” She told him glancing at him sideways. “Will you make it worth my while?”

“I haven’t forgotten I still owe you.” He told her softly.

She turned and looked at him for a fast second before focusing back on the road.

“You really keep score?” she said.

He smiled and put his hand on her knee.

“Of course not.” He told her. “But the last time I was pretty selfish.” He added the last with a grimace.

She placed her hand on his briefly before putting it back on the steering wheel.

“Are you going to go see Megs?” she asked him after a time.

He opened his eyes and looked at her.

“Yes.” He murmured. “She’s my baby sister.”

“And the anniversary party?” she asked him.

“I don’t think I’m up to that.” He told her. ”Thank you for giving me an excuse back there.”

She smiled and gave him a quick look before looking at the road ahead and easing the car slowly to a halt.

“What’s up?” he asked her.

“The roads closed. Stay here.” She instructed getting out and walking over to the policemen by the barrier across the rood. She spoke to him and Roman saw the policeman gesturing with his hand. Roman watched her with a bemused expression on his face and grinned at her when she got back in the car.

“What did the big bad policeman say?” he asked.

She gave him a look and then laughed.

“Ok, so I’m used to driving the kids around.” She admitted. “There’s been a mudslide the whole road is closed. We need to go across country which will add another two hours to the journey.”

He gave her a look.

“Or?” he asked.

“There is a motel we passed about twenty minutes ago.” She said not looking at him.

“El it’s up to you.” He said. “I’ve been drinking so I can’t drive.”

She nodded.

“I just don’t want you to think this has been a set up.” She grinned at him.

“The motel?” he asked. “Can we check in as Mr and Mrs Smith? Hang on will that copper lend us some handcuffs.”

“Roman Harris!” she gasped out.

“Go on I bet you are tempted.” He grinned.

She shook her head and started the car up again. She manoeuvred in a smooth circle and turned the car around. Heading back to the hotel.

The policeman watched them go and then picked up his radio.

“Calling Constable Buckton.” He said into the receiver.

“Constable Buckton here.” Charlie responded from her seat in the diner using a hand held radio.

“Update on Operation MD.” He said pausing as a wave of static came out of the radio.

“Go ahead.” Charlie called.

“Vehicle turned around and headed to motel.” He stated. “Tell Watson she owes me dinner. Over and out.”

“Thanks, Buckton out.” Charlie said and looked over at the others. Aden and Belle were sitting at the top of the table with Nic and Geoff next to them. Gabby was there and the kids were listening in via a mobile phone.

“Sorry we’re late.” Leah and Rachel said joining them at the table.

“Well we know they are stranded for the night.” Aden said. “What is the next step?” he asked them.

“Actually I have something.” Colleen said walking out of the kitchen and towards the group. “When we buy something from the diner it goes on the tab and we settle the bill at the end of the month,” she said to them.

“Yes Colleen?” Belle asked ignoring Aden rolling his eyes.

“It’s just that I noticed Ella drinking a lot of milkshakes.” She said.

Nic grinned at the other woman and stood up walking over to her and putting her arm around the older woman’s shoulders. She led her over to the seats and let her sit down with them.

“Go ahead Colleen.” Nic said softly.

“Yeah Auntie C.” came Georgie’s disembodied voice through the speaker of the phone.

“Well why don’t we give her a bill? I mean she isn’t with Roman anymore why should he pay for her?” she told them looking at the faces of the others.

Nic chuckled.

“First thing I would do is run here and have a go at him.” Nic told them watching Geoff nod.

“Yeah Mum would go spare.” Sophie said via the phone. "Especially if she thinks Dad has done it."

Gabby stood up abruptly and put her hand in her pocket puling out her phone.

“It’s Mum.” She said to them.

“Better answer.” Nic said and indicating that everyone should be quiet.

Gabby winced but answered the incoming call.

“Hey/” she said sounding over jolly.

“Hey Gabby it’s us. We’ve encountered a problem.” Ella’s voice rang out around the suddenly quiet diner.

“What?” Gabby said biting her lip.

“We’re stuck out for the night. “ Ella said softly. “Are you going to be ok with the kids?”

“Yeah it’ll be no problem.” She said quickly.

“Can I speak to them to say goodnight.” She asked.

Gabby gasped and looked at the others in appeal. Nic pointed to the other phone in the middle of the table and she nodded.

“Just a second. “ Gabby said. “Sophie it’s your mum.” She said in a louder tone of voice. She placed the phones together.

“Hey mum.” Sophie shouted.

”I can hear you fine Sophie why are you shouting?” Ella asked her. “Look I’m stuck out ok so Gabby and Danni are going to look after you.” She said to her.

“Ok Mum.” Sophie said in her normal tone of voice.

“What was that, I couldn’t hear you?” Ella said.

Gabby gasped and almost dropped the phone from her shaking hand.

“I said ok. “ Sophie shouted.

“Can you get the others for me?” she asked.

“Sammy is in the bathroom.” Sophie shouted. “And Meggy is in bed.”

“In bed this early?” Ella asked.

“Yeah she was tired.” Georgie shouted out. “Night mum.” He said quickly.

“Night kids, love you.” Ella murmured.

“Bye.” Gabby said quickly and hung up.

“Well done.” Nic said.

“Oh my god!” Sophie said dramatically.

“Why did you say I’d gone to bed you know she won’t believe that.” Meggy called out from the background via the phone still on speaker on the table.

“And I don’t want to know what I’m supposed to be doing in the bathroom.” Sammy muttered. Gabby could picture him folding his arms and glaring at the others and she grinned.

“Anyway back to Operation MD.” Danni said quickly. “Let’s go with the bill but it’s got to be delivered when Dad is there alone.”

“I think we can arrange that.” Leah said.

“Ok.” Aden said. “What’s next.”

“I think that thing we all know about should somehow come in the open.” Colleen suggested.

“You too?” Geoff asked.

“Yes I can keep some secrets. Although in the interests of Operation MD I am quite willing to leak this one to Madge Wilkins.” She said.

“Or maybe you should let on to Ella that you know.” Rachel suggested. “I think Roman is going to take it much better coming from Ella.”

“What thing?” Sammy asked.

“Never mind.” Nic said quickly having forgotten they were listening.

“Mummy is having another baby dummy.” Meggy said. “Haven’t you been paying attention?”

“How many times have I told you not to call your brother names.” Gabby said quickly and felt everyone look at her. “I used the Ella voice again didn’t I?” she asked and Nic nodded at her sister a grin on her face.

“Sounded just like her.” Aden said and mock shuddered.

“Stop it.” she muttered and slapped his arm.

“Hey.” Geoff cried out. “No hitting Aden unless we can all do it.”

“Bible boy!” Aden groaned.

“Ok I think that is enough for the moment.” Danni said from the other side of the bay. “Kids upstairs to bed.”

“How do you know Mummy is pregnant?” they heard Sammy ask Meggy as the call ended.

“Ok?” Roman asked laying on the double bed. “And I was joking about the Mr and Mrs Smith bit you know.”

She nodded.

“I know but it seemed like fun. Now get your clothes off.” She said huskily.

He laughed and looked at her.

“What did you buy from reception?” he asked.

She handed him a toothbrush and toothpaste and watched him laugh again. She had a wicked smile on her face and she tossed him the last item a packet of condoms.

“Oh my god.” He said a blush on his face. “You are wicked.”

She chuckled and leaned over and kissed him on the lips.

“Do you want the bathroom first?” she asked him.

“Can’t we share?” he pointed out the other option.

Ella looked at him from under her lashes and smiled.

“Come on then.” She said moving into the little room next to the bed. She began to strip off her clothes and heard him gave a hasty in drawn breath.

“What?”

“I think I’m having a heart attack.” He told her before stepping forward and putting his arms around her.

“You’ve seen this before.” She said indicating the black lace bustier she was wearing with the black lace thong.

He nodded.

“But you fill it so well.” He pointed out and lowered his lips to kiss the swell of her breasts. His eyes met hers when she moaned softly under her breath.

“Oh god El.” He whispered. “I want you so much.”

She nodded and lifted her hands to touch him slowly stroking the smooth muscles through the silky material of his shirt. She reached for the buttons with shaking fingers undoing the shirt slowly before opening it and looking at him. She gave a small triumphant smile and he reacted by lifting her off her feet and carrying her to the bed. He reached down and undid the buckles on her shoes sliding them of her feet and kissing the inside of her ankles. He savoured each little sound she made and his hands ran up her smooth legs.

She pulled his head to hers and kissed him.

“Perfect.” She proclaimed.

He ran his fingers on the inside of her thighs and the back of her knees. He kissed her hand and then up her arms and along her shoulders to her neck. She whimpered when she felt his tongue teasing her neck.

“El I ..” he began.

“Roman please don’t.” she begged cutting him off.

His eyes met hers.

“Do I need to pretend that you can be here like this with me and not feel anything?” he asked.

She gave him a sad look and then sighed.

Lifting her head she pressed her lips to his nipple and sucked before placing kisses across his chest.

“I love you.” She mouthed against his skin and she felt him shudder.

“Tonight.” He promised. “Just tonight.”

She nodded and wrapped her arms around him holding him to her.

“Tonight.” She vowed. “Just tonight.”

“I love you Ella. My wife. My lover. My soul mate.” He said his lips against her skin.

He felt her tremble.

“I love you.” She told him quietly.

He smiled and pinned her arms above her head lowering the lace cups on the bustier and teasing her nipples with his mouth. He kissed his way down until he reached her belly loving the curve of her stomach. He kissed her some more before moving and using his hands to peel down the black lace thong. He looked up at her seeing her hands above her head where he’d left them and he loved the abandoned feel of the sensual pose. He dropped the thong to the floor and covered her body with his.

“Do I..” he began to ask looking at the packet on the bedside table.

“No.” she told him.

He kissed her then cutting off the words she had been trying to say all night to tell him she was pregnant. She felt a momentary pause and then his body joined with hers and she knew only his passion and his loving words.

Chapter 16

Ella rolled over and looked at his profile.

“Get out of my bed.” He said quickly. “We’re divorced remember.” He added grinning at her as he rolled on his side.

“Keeping your promise of just for last night?” she asked him.

He nodded.

“Although you being naked in the bed next to me is making it hard.” He told her and flushed when she giggled.

“Oh now you’ve done it.” he told her after a minute. “You’ve woken up the… now what did you call it?”

She looked at him and shook her head.

“See, this is why I divorced you in secret.” She said. “You would have got up in court and told everyone the nickname I gave it in an emotional moment.”

“Emotional?” he questioned. “I suppose that is one name for it.”

He leaned over and kissed her feeling her arms around his neck. He moulded her body to him and began caressing her.

“It’s still really early.” She told him.

“Like still part of last night?” he asked.

She nodded her lips tracing the column of his neck.

“I can live with that.” He told her.

Ella met his expression and gave a heartfelt little sigh.

“Just so long as you …” she stopped.

Roman gave a little growl and rolled them over until he was leaning over her. He traced her lips with his finger.

“You know I’m not going to forget those words Ella but I know that if I push you right now you’ll remember all the things that had you divorcing me and I’ll lose you. I’m not happy to be in this half relationship with you but I love you too much to step away. And I love you too much to let this hurt you so if you need us to stop.”

She shook her head and tightened her arms around him pressing herself close.

“Roman.” She said quietly. “I don’t want to hurt you.”

“I know.” He told her.

“I can’t promise you anything.” She added.

“I know that too. You don’t want the kids hurt.”

She nodded looking at him with sad eyes.

“But would you like to date?” she said to him.

“You mean like last night but official?” he asked with a grin.

She gave him a giggle and he fell in love with her again. How could it be that simple he asked himself, just one moment and he was head over heels for her again.

“I know I’m calling all the shots here Roman. Dictating when you can see the kids. How you can provide for them. And now telling you that I’m only going to let you date me when we obviously lo..care for each other.”

“Lo…care?” he quoted watching her blush. “Look El I know I hurt you, enough times over for you to never even speak to me again and yet you are here and you are doing your damnedest to keep me actively involved bringing up the kids. I would like to date and maybe you can teach me what this romance thing is all about.”

She pressed a gentle kiss to his lips.

“So dating?” she asked.

He nodded.

“Absolutely.” He told her. “Now then since we’ve agreed on that I think we should seal the bargain.”

She looked up into his eyes and caught his meaning.

“Oh.” She gasped.

He smiled and kissed her letting his tongue trace the outline of her lips, his eyes looking deep into hers. She let her fingers run down his neck before she stroked her hands along his shoulders and down his arms.

He continued to kiss her feeling her move under him.

“Do you want me?” he asked her softly.

She looked up at him.

“Yes I want you.” She told him.

He smiled as he kissed her feeling her lips quiver under his. Trailing kisses down he found her bountiful breasts and worshiped them before kissing down her stomach. He felt her hands on him and he smiled at the simple joy of having her touch him again.

“Roman please.” She cried out as he lightly tickled her.

He giggled before moving up her body and kissing her lips again.

“Maybe I should tickle those feet again.” He suggested.

She squirmed underneath him.

“Don’t you dare.” She moaned.

He let out a laugh and ran his hands down her body feeling her move restlessly against him. She moaned and put her hands on him touching him everywhere. He sighed softly against her skin.

“What’s the matter?” she asked him.

Meeting her concerned gaze he gave a small smile.

“You’re one of those girls that doesn’t believe in sleeping with someone on the first date.”

She looked at him for a moment before reaching out and slapping him on his arm.

“You.” She groaned.

He chuckled feeling her arms around him once more and joined his body to hers slowly feeling her moving sensuously underneath him.

“I love you.” He heard the words and didn’t know if they were hers or his.

Lee was sitting on the sofa trying to knit. The wool seemed to keep getting tangled and she had recast the first row four times so far. Colleen made this look easy and she didn’t know how she did it. She looked up when the door opened and Roman walked into the apartment.

“Well you had a good evening.” Lee grumbled.

Roman looked over at her and smiled.

“I may have done.” He confirmed.

“May have done? You’re practically glowing and still wearing the same outfit you went out in last night.” She muttered.

Roman chuckled and moved into his bedroom. He saw the message on the chest of drawers and turned to look at her.

“Leah needs me to do tonight’s shift?” he asked.

Lee nodded.

“Well I suppose I could do with the extra cash.” He murmured frowning. “I was hoping to go see the kids.”

Lee focused on her knitting feeling suddenly guilty.

“Hey are you ok?” he asked looking over at her.

She gave him a nod.

“Well I’m going to go grab a shower and then head to the diner. Fancy a trip out?” he asked her.

Lee struggled up from the sofa and headed to her bedroom.

“Yeah.” She muttered.

He watched her move to her room a worried expression on his face before heading to the bathroom. He stripped and grabbed a shower remembering joining El in hers this morning. He found himself grinning. Within moments he climbed out and grabbed one of the big towels wrapping it around him. In no time he was dressed in shorts and a t shirt and pulled on his trainers. He stood near the door waiting for Leona. She came out after a moment and walked over to him.

“Stop smiling.” She told him.

“I can’t help it there is just something about a pregnant woman that is really beautiful.” He said to her. “Ella was so beautiful with Meggy and Sammy.”

“Uh huh. That would explain why you have so many kids.” She grouched and looked at him. “What about the twins?” she asked. “And Lily.”

“I wasn’t around when she was pregnant with the twins and Lily was different.” He said a sad look crossing his face.

“I’m sorry I didn’t mean to pry.” Leona said quietly.

“It’s ok. “ Roman told her a wry smile on his face.

He didn’t mention Francesca because he didn’t want her worrying about her own pregnancy. She did look really beautiful, he thought and cursed the stupid fool that didn’t want to know about his child. Leading her out he helped her sit in the car and took them both to the diner.

“Hey Roman.” Leach called from the kitchen. “Did you get my note?” she asked him.

He nodded helping Leona over to a seat. He left her sitting there while he moved into the kitchen.

“Problems?” he asked her.

“No just got to do a thing with VJ. I forgot about it when we were doing the roster.” She told him.

He smiled.

“No problem.” He told her and looked up when the diner phone rang. He picked it up and spoke into the receiver. After a moment he covered the mouthpiece and looked over at Leah.

“Do we know anything about collecting an extra delivery from Yabbi Creek?” he asked her.

She looked at him and groaned.

“I was supposed to do it earlier and couldn’t make it.” she said to him.

He gave her a quick smile and told the wholesalers he would come and fetch the order watching as Leah looked at him gratefully. He hung up the phone after.

“Do me a favour and keep an eye on Lee until I get beck she seems a bit down.” He asked looking out at the girl sitting over at the table.

“Will do,” Leah promised.

Roman nodded and moved out. He explained to Leona about picking up a delivery and watched her nod.

“Ok?” he asked her.

She gave him a smile.

“Yeah.” She told him. “Just feel a bit.”

Roman sat next to her and put his arm around her.

“It’s ok.” he said quietly. “It can be overwhelming, all these emotions and hormones. But soon you’ll have a wonderful baby to love and it’ll will all seem worth it. “

She gave him another grin.

“You better go.” She told him. “I’ll be ok.”

He looked at her.

“You sure?” he asked.

She nodded again and he stood up slowly moving over to the door. She watched him go before reaching for her bag and taking out the property section of the local papers. It was time to stand on her own two feet and do her bit to help him and Ella get back together.

Ella walked into the diner and heard Colleen gasp as she looked at her. She smiled at the other woman and then walked slowly over to where Leona was sitting.

“Hello.” She murmured quietly.

Leona clumsily stood up and held out her hand.

“Hey.” She said.

Ella took her hand within her own and smiled.

“I’ve wanted to meet you for weeks.” Leona blurted out. “Thank you for the baby stuff it was really kind of you especially since.” She stopped talking and eased back down.

“Yes I thought it was you. Lets keep it between ourselves for a while shall we?” Ella said quickly leaning forward and keeping her voice down.

Leona nodded.

“Is it?” she asked in code.

Ella nodded.

“I’m sorry.” She blurted once more.

“It’s ok.” Ella smiled. “You weren’t to blame.” She added referring to the break up of her and Roman. She found she liked the other girl

Leona looked at her and blinked back tears.

“He told me about you.” She said wiping her face.

Ella sat down.

“Colleen can I get a decaff?” Ella said softly knowing the other woman was listening.

“Sure thing dears anything else?” she asked.

“Maybe some cake.” Ella said. “Two slices.” She added.

“Oh I can’t.” Leona gasped.

“My treat.” Ella said softly.

Leona looked at her and nodded.

“So what’s this?” she asked looking at the newspaper in front of the other woman opened at the housing section.

“I’m trying to find a place to live.” Leona said pushing a hand through her long brown hair.

“Why?” Ella murmured and looked up to see Colleen coming over to them. She handed Ella her coffee and then placed the two portions of cake down.

“Can I get you anything else?” Colleen murmured once more.

“No thanks Colleen.” Ella told her and watched as the other woman bustled away. “You can talk now.” She told the other girl taking a sip of her coffee.

“Well Roman has been great but if I’m sorted with a place then he can sorta move on. “ Leona looked at Ella. “And you two can sort yourselves out.”

Ella laughed.

“What is it about everyone trying to get us back together.” She muttered after a minute.

“Oh I don’t know perhaps the fact that you care enough about him to buy me a pregnancy book.” Leona shrugged rubbing her huge belly. “I mean you think this is his baby and well being generous to the woman who you think is his girlfriend is above and beyond.”

“You talk army.” Ella said.

“Guilty as charged. That’s why he and I got on so well. I’m an army brat.”

Ella grinned and named a couple of bases watching as Leona nodded a few times.

“Cool. We have something else in common.”

“Something else?” Ella said.

“Both being pregnant of course.” Leona murmured quietly. “Oh and that we both love Roman.”

“Why does everyone go on about me loving him. Jeez! A girl can’t even go out for coffee nowadays.”

Leona laughed and leaned back.

“Quiet.” She muttered to her belly.

“Lee how far along are you?” Ella said softly.

“I’ve got two weeks to go.” She said.

“I don’t think so.” Ella told her and leaned forward. She placed her hand on the bump and felt the ripple of the contraction. Still faint but there all the same.

“No.” she said sounding panicked. “I don’t have anything.”

She stood up and felt a gush of liquid down her legs.

“You’re waters have broke.” Ella said redundantly. “Come on lets get you to the hospital.”

“I can’t Roman is at the cash and carry. He said he would be there for me.”

“I’ll phone him but we need to go.”

Lee slowly moved out feeling Ella’s arm around her as she moved to the car.

“Hang on let me get you a towel to sit on so you feel a bit more comfortable ok?” Ella murmured and placed a large beach towel in the passenger seat. She helped Leona into the car and pulled the seat belt over adjusting it so it was in the right place.

Leona looked at her with frightened eyes.

“Its going to be ok Lee.” She told her and watched as she nodded slowly.

She walked around the front of the car and climbed behind the wheel and set off driving them to the hospital.

“Where’s Lily?” Leona asked after a minute.

“Gabby is looking after her. “ Ella said. “Giving me a break allegedly. I think it won’t be long before Gabby makes me a grandmother. She loves babies.”

“How do you feel about that considering you are having a baby… ouh!” she said.

“I don’t care.” Ella told her keeping her voice calm.

“I can’t believe you’ve been though this so many times.” Lee gasped out after a few minutes. She was beginning to breathe heavily and looked more panicked with every second.

“Rub your belly.” Ella told her. “Big circles.”

Leona looked at her and then began to rub her belly. She started small and then bigger.

“Now breathe. “ she instructed. “Copy me hee hee ho ho hee hee ho ho.” She demonstrated.

Leona tried but was too panicked to do it properly.

“Did you have birthing classes?” Ella asked keeping the other girls attention focused.

“No!” Leona bit out. “I was ashamed.”

“Of what?”

”Being pregnant. I was taking precautions.”

“That is silly.” Ella told her. “So was I.”

Leona looked over at her and smiled.

“Really?” she asked.

Ella nodded.

“Yup. Roman has super swimmers.” She found herself saying.

Leona laughed and felt the tension leaving her.

“You do love him don’t you? Why don’t you tell him about the baby?” she asked her when she’d sobered.

“I will do. I’m just waiting until things are easier between us.” Ella said softly. “I was planning to tell him last night but things got in the way.” She added.

“I can tell what things.” Lee muttered. “He was grinning this morning when he came in.”

Ella blushed as she looked at the other girl.

“Uh huh. “ she said. “Better concentrate on that breathing.” She told her.

Slowing the car she pulled into a parking bay and moved around the other side of the car to help Leona out.

“Are you expecting me to walk?” Lee asked panic stricken.

“Of course I am.” Ella told her.

She put her arm around her back and led her inside and to the reception. She booked Leona in and they were taken to maternity.

“Don’t leave me.” Lee begged huskily.

Ella nodded.

“It’s going to be ok.” she told her as she helped the other woman on to the bed.

“Hello.” Aden murmured coming into the room. “What an unusual twist. The ex wife helping the mistress.”

“Aden Jefferies.” Ella muttered. She looked over at Lee and gave her a smile. “I’m going outside to move my car and make a call to the kids. I’ll be back soon.” She promised.

Lee nodded distractedly as another contraction started.

She walked back into the room moments later looking at Aden and Lee talking together.

“Hey.” She said softly.

“El.” Lee gasped out. “Aden said you can come in as my birthing partner.”

“Ok Lee.” Ella murmured pinning a smile on her face. “I’ve done it enough times I think I can cope with watching what happens.”

Chapter 17

“You should have called me.” Roman said to her.

“We tried.” Ella murmured. “Anyway Lee and her daughter are fine.” She added with a shrug.

“Still.” He grumbled.

“Roman.” She muttered. “I’ve been on my feet for nearly 8 hours and I haven’t eaten. I’m sorry Lee chose to have her baby whilst you couldn’t be contacted but it’s done now. I’m sure she’ll be much more considerate next time. Now I’m going home.”

She made to walk past him and was forced to stop when he caught hold of her arm.

“Ella.” He said in appeal.

She pulled her arm free and gave him a look before walking past him and out of the hospital.

“Way smooth.” Aden said from nearby having overheard the conversation. “The woman just spent hours with your alleged girlfriend while she gave birth helping her though it and you chose to have a go at her?”

“Aden.” Roman said quickly.

“Nope don’t you Aden me.” He said and walked away form him.

“Great.” Roman muttered to himself. He eased into Lee’s room and saw the girl dozing on the bed. He took in the crib by her bed and looked at the sleeping baby. “Hey little one.” He whispered. He eased out again and made his way out of the hospital.

“Hey,” Danni called out.

“Hey guys. Thanks again.” Ella murmured.

“No problem. How’s Lee? And what did she have?” Danni called out.

“Forget that, what colour eyes did the baby have.” Gabby muttered.

Ella sank on to the sofa and lifted her feet on to the table in front of her.

“Blue.” She told Gabby with a smile albeit a tired one.

Danni laughed at the look on Gabby’s face.

“Do you want something to eat?” Danni asked after a moment.

“I’m so hungry but too tired to eat. I’m going to bed and this weekend I want to do something special for you two because I appreciate you looking after the kids.” She told them walking slowly over to each of them and giving them a hug and a kiss before heading up the stairs. She made her way to the children’s room and eased into Sophie and Meggy’s room first.

“Mummy.” Sophie said sleepily. “Is the baby alright?”

“Yes my Sophie. The baby is fine. She had a little girl.” Ella murmured sitting on the side of her bed. She reached out and stroked her hair away from her face before giving her daughter a kiss. “I havn’et spent much time with you lately so I thought we could have a snuggle evening tomorrow.”

Sophie gave her a sleepy look.

“I miss Daddy’s biscuits.” She told her mum.

Ella smiled.

“Is that a hint that you want Daddy to be there too?” she asked her.

Sophie nodded.

“Mummy.” Meggy said quietly. “Are you having another baby?”

Sophie gasped and shot a horrified look to her sister.

“Yes Meggy.” Ella told her.

Sophie sat up and threw her arms around her.

2Does this mean you and Daddy are getting back together?” she asked winking at Meggy over her mum’s shoulder.

Ella laughed and gave Sophie a squeezed before easing away.

“You know it doesn’t.” she told her. “And you can wipe that look off your face Megan Hope Harris. I know you want Mummy and Daddy back together but it’s not going to happen, ok. We are very happy the way we are.”

Meggy chuckled.

“It was worth a shot.” She said quickly.

Ella giggled before tucking them both back in their beds.

“Love you girls.” She told them easing out of the room. She walked across the lounge area and inot the boys room. She saw Georgie was sitting up in bed reading with a torch and she mock glared at him.

“Hey no fair Mum you’re barefoot.” He grouched.

“And you’ll get eyestrain.” She warned him moving over to him.

He leaned over and gave her a kiss before handing over his book. She looked at the title and raised an eyebrow.

“It’s a good story.” He mumbled.

“I know.” She replied. “It’s my book. “

She looked at where he was in it and nodded.

“I have a biography of Wilfred Owen somewhere and I know your dad has Seigfried Sasson. You should ask him about it.” she said quietly.

“I would but he doesn’t like talking about army stuff does he?” Georgie muttered.

“Sometimes but you should ask him anyway. He had some good times in the army too, he met Jacko there.” she said quietly.

Georgie looked at her and grinned.

“Is that a good thing or bad?” he asked her.

Ella laughed and leaned up to kiss him again before he lay down in the top bunk and she pulled the covers up.

“Mummy.” Sammy said quietly.

“Hey my babes.” She said to him bending down next to him.

“How are you going to cope with a new baby?” he asked worriedly.

“Well I was planning to sell you to white slavers to pay for it.” she told him and then lay on the bed next to him.

“Are you really worried?” she asked him when he frowned at her.

Sammy shook his head.

“Well maybe. You got really tired when we were on holiday.” He told her. “And I think if Daddy were here then maybe you wouldn’t be so tired.”

She sighed and put her arms around him hugging him.

“I was tired my babes. Because I was telling the man who was making my head better lots of scary stuff and it made me upset. And then we were camping and stuff so I was doing lots of lifting. And then I realised why I was so tired. It was my body making the baby safe.” She explained. “But yes if Daddy lived here he could do lots of stuff.” She acknowledged. “And maybe we would start arguing again and making each other upset.” She thought of the way he was like in the hospital tonight and sighed again. “So of course I’m going to tell Daddy about the new baby but at the moment I’m busy making sure we are ok with each other. Now I told Sophie we would have a snuggle night tomorrow night and invite Daddy over.”

Sammy nodded before putting his hand on her tummy.

“Night baby.” He said quietly.

Ella blinked back tears and gave her son a kiss before tucking him in. She moved out and down the stairs going into the nursery. Even though Lily was asleep she lifted her out of her cot and sat in the rocking chair hugging her close.

She looked up at her blinking.

“I know baby girl but Mummy has been missing you.” She told her softly. “I wanted you to remember me and not think Gabby or Danni were your Mummy ok.” she whispered.

Lilly yawned and pursed her lips before her eyes closed and she went back to sleep. Ella grinned and stroked her cheek gently before easing up after a time and placing her back in the cot. She placed the cover gently over her and grinned when she fussed and kicked the cover off.

“Is it too hot babes?” she whispered.

She moved to the door giving her one last look before heading to her bedroom. She saw a red rose on the pillow and gave a small grin as she picked it up and inhaled deeply. Before putting it in water watching it drink thirstily. She smiled thinking that he must have put it here earlier on his way to the cash and carry then remembered how he’d had been at the hospital and sobered. She took the glass with the rose into the bathroom out of sight and climbed into bed. She was asleep as soon as her head hit the pillow.

Roman walked into his apartment feeling that it was strangely empty. He sank on to the sofa and sipped from the beer he’d just got for himself. Opening his phone he thought about texting her but she had looked really tired earlier and he didn’t want to wake her if she was asleep.

He stood when a knock at the door sounded and moved over to open it.

“What are you doing here?” he asked Aden and Geoff.

“Charming.” Aden murmured walking in and handing over the pack of beer he had.

“Come in.” Roman said graciously.

Geoff laughed.

“We’re were going to anyway.” He told his father-in-law.

He moved back to the sofa and indicated that they should sit while he moving into the kitchen. He took out some chips and put them in a bowl before taking a jar of tomato salsa dip from the fridge. Placing them on the table he moved back to the kitchen and grabbed out cold beers form the fridge before putting in the ones Aden had bought to cool. He took them through and handed them one each.

“So what was going on?” Aden asked.

“I got upset and I did the usual I took it out on her.” Roman admitted with a groan.

“Uh huh.” Geoff said sipping his beer. “So how are you going to stop that?”

“Is this a professional visit?” Roman mused.

Geoff laughed.

“It must be. If it were personal I would probably have hit you over the head by now and told you to sort it out between you and Ella.” Geoff said.

“Nic giving you grief?” he asked.

“What is your definition of grief?” he asked back.

Roman laughed.

“Well I was once tortured for three days by Saddam’s imperial guard so I imagine grief would be somewhere beyond that.”

Aden laughed out loud and caught Roman and Geoff looking at him.

“Sorry.” He said his face a shade of red. “It was the comparison and Nic being worse than torture.”

Geoff looked at him and smiled.

“I think I know who’d I’d prefer in a bad mood.”

“Sorry guys I have no idea where those guards are now I didn’t get their names.” Roman told them deadpan.

All three burst out laughing before Aden sobered and looked over at Roman.

“Do you love Ella?” he asked.

Roman paled and nodded thinking about seeing the two of them before and letting his imagination run away with him.

“You know I do Aden.” He confirmed.

“Then what the hell are you playing at?” Aden asked looking at him.

“I can’t wave a magic wand and have her fall in love with me again.” Roman said a faint blush on his face.

“Can’t you? What made you so special to her in the first place?” Geoff asked him.

Roman groaned.

“I don’t know.” He said. “I never asked her.”

“Seems to be a place to start. Recapture the past.”

Roman shook his head.

“Apparently I do that a lot when we are struggling.” He confessed guilt lining his voice.

“What?” Geoff asked placing his empty bottle on the table.

“She makes up her mind about stuff and then I drag her back be making her remember stuff. “ Roman said quickly looking at his bottle.

“So that’s why you let her go.” Aden murmured softly.

“I wanted her to decide for herself. That being with me is want she wants not because I guilt her into it.” despite his even tone they could tell that Roman was hurting. “And not because of the children.”

Aden and Geoff shared a look and then looked back at Roman.

“How about we change the subject?” Geoff suggested.

“Will Nic allow that?” Aden said to him.

“I think so. I just keep mentioning how cute it would be for us to have another baby and she leaves me alone for a while.” Geoff told them.

Roman laughed.

“Speaking of babies.” He began and missed the look the others shared again. “Give me a hand.” He instructed leading them into his room where he had the cot stored in flatpack along with other bits of baby furniture. They carried them through to Leona’s room and began assembling them.

“Slave labour!” Aden grumbled.

“Stop muttering.” Roman told him. “And pass me a beer.”

Aden looked at him and laughed.

“Bet you miss this?” Geoff asked.

“Assembling furniture?” he asked back.

“No the baby stuff.” Geoff pointed out.

“Not a chance.” Roman said. “I’ve got Lily. If she ever lets me see them again.”

“But a new baby. A great way of bringing people together.” Geoff told him.

“Yeah.” Aden said handing out beers.

“Something you want to tell me about Nic?” Roman asked Geoff.

Aden smothered a laugh at the expression on Geoff’s face.

“I’ll take that as a no then.” Roman said.

Geoff let out a small laugh and reached for his bear.

“I hope there is nothing we have to tell you.” He said finally.

Chapter 18

Ella woke up when Roman brought in her breakfast.

She sat up and glared at him.

“Morning.” He said peacefully.

“What’s this?” she asked him.

“Breakfast. The kids let me in.” he explained. “I’ve already fed them.”

Ella sat up and looked at her watch narrowing her eyes.

“Oh god.” She exclaimed.

“Danni has taken them to school and I’m babysitting Lily so you can have a lie in and relax for the day.” He told her.

“Bossy…” she exclaimed adding the other B word.

He grinned at her.

“No I’m pretty sure that my parents were married.” He told her softly.

She looked at the tray he offered and saw pancakes and strawberries with fruit juice and toast. Suddenly she felt hungry and glared at him again.

He placed the try on the bed and smiled at her.

“Fine, I’ll eat your breakfast.” She muttered spearing a piece of the fluffy pancake with the fork.

“Thank you. About yesterday.” He began. “I got worried about you and about Leona and I overreacted.”

“Uh huh.” Ella murmured her mouth full.

“So I took it out on you when I didn’t mean to because I fell into the old pattern of behaviour.” He continued explaining. “So I’m sorry.” He said finally.

She nodded and then looked at him her eyes narrowed.

“And when exactly were you sorry?” she asked.

“Last night as soon as I started snapping at you but I didn’t contact you because I thought you would need your rest.”

Ella nodded once more and pushed away the empty plate before picking up the juice and drinking.

“Thank you for the rose.” She told him.

“You’re welcome.” He murmured.

“So what have you got planned for tonight?” she asked him finally.

He grinned.

“Sorry I’m busy I have a date with Sophie.”

Ella laughed.

“She told you about Snuggle night?” she asked him and saw him nod.

“I have to make biscuits.” He explained. “But if you want me to back off for a while.”

She gave him a look and set the glass down.

“Why would I want to do that?” she asked him.

“Because last night I upset you.” He said quietly.

She nodded and eased out of the bed walking naked into the bathroom. She peeked round the door and looked at him.

“What are you waiting for?” she asked.

“My heart rate to settle down before I attempt to move.” He told her before vaulting off the bed and following her. She placed her arms around his neck and pressed her naked body against him. He moaned under his breath as his body responded urgently. Moulding her form against him even tighter he kissed her deeply. He felt her hands undoing his trousers and he eased back looking at her.

“Slow down.” He said huskily.

She shook her head and began to caress him.

“El please.” He begged.

“Now.” She ordered. “Take me now.”

He looked at her before lifting her up and carrying her back to the bed. He pushed the tray to the floor and heard the crockery shatter before pinning her down and taking her. He heard her moans of pleasure and groaned against her lips as they kissed passionately.

Ella woke up slowly feeling as though her whole body was blushing. She rolled over and saw no tray or sign that Roman was there and eased out of the bed. She moved to the bathroom and took a long shower before dressing in shorts and a baggy T shirt. Moving down the stairs and into the kitchen she got herself a drink of juice out of the fridge before heading out the back.

“Hello Sleepy.” Roman called out.

She looked up and saw him down the bottom of the garden next to the lawnmower. He had his shirt off and his torso gleamed in the sunlight.

Her gaze ran down his chest before looking at the garden. He’d cut half the lawn and had seen to the fruit orchard.

“Hello.” She said blushing. “When did you get here?” she asked.

He raised an eyebrow.

“This morning.” He pointed out.

She blushed even darker.

“No it wasn’t a dream.” He told her walking over to her.

“Oh my god.” She moaned.

“But I’m so flattered that you dream about me like that.”

She glared at him and hit his arm.

“You!” she moaned.

Roman laughed and put his arms around her before kissing her.

“Roman why are cutting the grass?” she asked after a moment.

“Because I wanted to do something while I was waiting for you to wake up.” He said sitting on the bench. He tugged on her hand and she sat down next to him.

“Why?” she asked leaning into him after he put his arm around her.

She remembered how they used to do this and bit back a sigh at how good it felt being back in his arms. It was hormones she told herself, hormones that had her inhaling his musky scent and looking at the way his muscles worked. Hormones that made her want to reach out and touch him and now that she knew this morning hadn’t been some kinky dream she should already have been satisfied by their lovemaking.

“Because it needed doing? Or why was I waiting for you?” he asked softly.

“It’s not your garden anymore.” She pointed out quickly. “But why wait?”

He laughed and looked into her eyes.

“Believe it or not I was planing to ask if you wanted to spend the day with me. Just us and Lily.” He gave her a grin. “With …er… no sex too.”

She let out a laugh and looked at him before placing a gentle kiss on his lips.

“Where is Lily?” she asked suddenly.

He chuckled.

“Shouldn’t you have checked on her before now?” he asked.

“I know.” Ella said guiltily. “I feel so horrible.”

He kissed the top of her head and gestured to the playpen in the lounge.

“She cried each time I put the lawnmower on so I had to leave her indoors.” He murmured.

“I know she’s a little faker.” El told him.

He reached out and took the juice from her hand and took a drink.

“So what do you think? Can we spend some time together?” he asked.

“I’m not used to you asking.” She murmured. “But yeah some time would be good. When does Leona get home from the hospital?”

“Tomorrow.” He said.

“How about we go shopping and pick up some baby stuff for her. She was kind of panicked that she didn’t have anything.”

He grinned and kissed her.

“I know. I bought her a cot and changing table. We put it up last night.” He told her. “Aden and Geoff came over.”

“No doubt telling you off for being a jerk.” She predicted lowering her lashes and leaning back on the bench.

Roman leaned back with her felling her curl up next to him and he kept his arm around her loving the way they did this and acknowledging that he had missed it as much as he missed her the past few months.

“Yeah how did you guess?” he asked his voice soft.

She giggled.

“You should try living with the kids. Daddy this, Daddy that. And that’s just Gabby and Danni.” She told him.

“Are you falling asleep on me?” he asked her.

“No just snuggling.” She explained and yawned.

“Up you get.” He told her. “Before you fall asleep.”

She stood reluctantly.

“I’ll go get changed.” She told him.

He nodded.

“I’ll just finish the last bit then we’ll go to the apartment so I can…er shower…”

She giggled and bit her lip.

He looked at her and groaned.

“Sorry.” She said quickly. “I forgot ok.”

He nodded and grabbed her hand pressing it against him.

“Oh.” She said looking into his eyes.

“Exactly.” He muttered shifting uncomfortably. “I have no idea why but when you do that it’s like an instant thing.”

She looked at him from under her lashes before biting her lip again her hand still pressed intimately against him.

“I said no sex.” He pointed out.

Ella nodded looking at him.

“I was just testing.” She said softly.

“Yeah well test over or I’ll be pinning you down right here.”

She looked at the floor and then at him before hearing his laughter.

“Go woman.” He instructed standing up. He turned her around and slapped her behind as he gave her a gentle push toward the house.

She spun back around and looked at him.

“What?” he asked seeing a sad look on her face.

“I missed that.” She told him in a quiet voice.

“What?” he asked moving over to her and holding her.

“You spanking me.” She said. “And I don’t want to look around in case anyone over heard that comment.”

He laughed.

“No you are safe it’s just me here. And I can’t remember the last time I did that.” He admitted.

She sighed.

“I miss us too.” He told her. “The stuff we used to do before all the bad stuff.”

She nodded burying her face in his chest.

“They said to me last night to recapture the past.” He continued. “To try and get you remembering all the good times we used to have.”

She nodded again her arms around his waist.

“But I remember what you said to me at the cottage El and I don’t want you to be with me because I’ve somehow tricked you.”

“Oh Roman.” She sighed his name and he felt her breath flutter against his skin.

He led them back to the bench and sat pulling her on to his lap putting his arms around her.

“I miss us too. I miss laughing with you as we get the kids breakfast and send them to school before sneaking back to bed. I miss sitting with you like this. I miss snuggle nights and just holding hands. “

“I miss seeing you running after the kids.”

She giggled.

“Just let Lily loose.” She murmured.

“Yeah, I have noticed that.” He said thinking of catching her just as reached the gate to the enclosed swimming pool this morning and he thought he was fit.

She giggled and felt his arms tighten around her.

“Let’s get ready.” She said. “I would love to spend the day with you.” She added and smiled at him.

He felt his heart thumping in her chest as he looked at her. She was giving him his smile, his special smile and he was holding her and the sun was shinning.

He let her stand up and watched her move into the house before going back over to the lawnmower and started it up. He focused on cutting the rest of the lawn before placing it back in the shed and collecting up the fruit he taken from the trees. He placed the box on the kitchen top and pulled open a drawer finding the tea towels in the same place he used to keep them and grinned. Taking the fruit to the sink he began rinsing it and placing it on a clean tea towel to dry. Discarding a couple of the apples to put into the compost bin he left them on the side and took the wooden box back outside.

He found Ella standing in the doorway with Lily in her arms and he couldn’t help smiling at her.

“We’re ready.” She told him. “Are you going to take some of that fruit with you?”

He smiled.

“I don’t know I might take some into the diner.”

She handed over Lily’s bag and fastened the door. He did likewise with the kitchen door and they moved to the front of the house. He was once more struck by how normal this seemed. She picked up keys and moved out closed the door behind them. She lifted the car seat out of her car and into the back of his and fastened Lily into it. He placed the bag the other side and climbed in smiling at Ella as she did the same.

“Normal enough for you?” she asked him somehow reading his mind.

“Perfect.” He told her.

He drove them to his apartment and parked under the leafy tree situated outside. Climbing out he collected Lily and held his hand out to Ella. She gave him a smile as placed her ahnd in his and he led her inside.

“Steps?” she said.

He nodded.

“It’s on the third floor.” He explained.

She groaned.

“How do you expect Leona to manage with a baby here?” she moaned breathing heavily as she reached his door.

He chuckled.

“I think she’ll use the elevator.” He explained and felt her hand connect with his ribs.

“You.” She muttered.

He leaned over and kissed her before fishing in his pocket for his keys. He opened the door and let her go inside before handing over Lily to her.

“It’s nice.” She told him looking around.

“That’s a nice lie.” He said. “You hate it.”

She nodded.

“How did you know?” she asked him.

“You get this pinched look on your face when you really hate something.”

“Oh great now you tell me.” She grumbled.

He laughed.

“It’s cute because you wrinkle your nose up too.” He explained. “This is my room.” he told her leading her over to his room. She took in the brown wooden furniture and the white painted walls and the bedspread. Her attention was capture by the photo he kept by his bed, the one of her and Meggy and she gave him a smile feeling his hand stroking the small of her back. She leaned into him and he put his arm around her.

“Now for Leona’s room.” he told her softly and led her to the other side of the apartment. He opened the door and she looked inside seeing he’d given Leona the bigger bedroom. The furniture he’d put in there for the baby looked dwarfed by the ugly furniture of wardrobe and dresser. She gave a little sigh and he grinned.

“You hate this too.” He told her and she nodded.

“Its bland. Not a home to bring a baby too.” She told him softly.

“The rental agency won’t let us decorate.” He told her.

“Still.” She said. “There are things you can do.” She added a light in her eyes.

He gave her a quick kiss before heading to the kitchenette.

“Want a drink?” he asked.

She smiled at him.

“I can’t believe I fell for this.” She muttered. “You are going to have me decorate her room aren’t you?” she asked him.

He gave her a little boy look and she laughed.

“Well if you are offering!” he told her.

She groaned.

“Can I have a glass of milk?” she asked.

He smiled and poured it out for her.

She took the glass from him and moved over to Lily checking on her and grinning when she saw she was still asleep her little hands curled into fists. She sipped the milk slowly.

“I’m going to get a shower I won’t be long.” He murmured and leaned over kissing her again. “Milk moustache.” He told her before heading first into his room and then into the bathroom. Ella stood and looked once more into Leona’s room. She narrowed her eyes as she mentally rearranged the furniture and planned what she would buy. He came out after a couple of minutes and headed into his bedroom where another few minutes passed before he came out dressed and ready to go.

“I want to move her bed.” Ella said.

Roman laughed.

“And?” he asked.

“Sticky back plastic to cover the wardrobe doors. And new curtains.”

“How much is this going to cost me?” he asked after a moment.

“Ouh, quite a bit, what with my design fees. Come on I want to go shopping.”

Roman held out his arms and she moved into them holding him close. He kissed the top of her head before she moved out of his embrace and collected Lily. He led her out of the door and over to the elevator grinning at the look on her face.

Chapter 19

“What do you think?” she asked him looking around Leona’s room. She and Roman had moved her bed against the wall and she had added extra cushions to in including an L shaped one that she could lean against while she was feeding the baby. She’d put up new curtains and the wardrobe doors were covered with a square of floral sticky back plastic, lightening the room and making it more feminine. She’d added the same to the front of the chest of drawers putting them flush against the wardrobe. Moving the bed round gave extra room for the cot and changing table.

Roman nodded and smiled at her.

“Perfect,” he told her.

She moved into his outstretched arm, he was holding lily with the other and she looked at the way their daughter was gazing at him with a besotted look on her heart shaped face.

“What do you think Lily?” he asked his daughter.

She gave him a grin and waved her hand.

“Dada.” She said.

Ella gasped and tears sprang into her eyes at the word.

“Dada.” Lily said again.

“That’s her first word that’s not Cookie or Kitty oriented.” She told him turning her face to his chest as he hugged her.

“That’s good.” He said softly. “And I only had to spend $50 bribing her.”

Ella looked up and him and laughed.

“Hardly she’s not named after Nicole.”

Roman laughed and kissed her before kissing Lily.

“Say Mama.” He suggested to Lily.

She looked at him with her big blue eyes and opened her mouth.

“Dada.” She said.

Ella laughed and caught Her hand within her own and kissed her fingers.

“Mama.” Ella said to her daughter.

“Dada.” Lily said and clapped her hands excitedly.

“Right then.” Ella murmured. “It’s time to pick the kids up.”

He smiled at her and moved reluctantly to hand her Lily.

“Hey.” Ella murmured easing back without taking her. “You’re coming too.” She told him and grinned at the way he smiled at her.

“I am?” he asked.

She nodded.

“Snuggle night remember.” She murmured.

“See I told you that you only wanted me because I could cook.” He murmured.

Ella nodded before turning around and collecting up her things. She took a breath as she felt slightly dizzy and tried to hide it by fussing with her shopping bags

“El.” Roman said quietly.

She turned and looked at him.

“Yeah?” she asked quickly.

“You ok, you’ve gone pale.”

“Roman I’m..” she began to say looking at him.

He put his hand in his pocket and took out his phone.

“It’s Nic.” He told her and answered the call.

“Dada.” Lily shouted out trying to get his attention back to her.

“Hey is that Lily?” Nic asked.

“No it’s Leona’s baby.” Roman said sarcastically and saw Ella laughing over the other side of the room at the comment.

He looked at the display and closed the phone putting it back in his pocket.

“Maybe she didn’t want to talk to me.” Roman murmured.

Ella smiled and perched on the arm of the sofa.

“Now you can answer my question.” He told her.

“I think I need something to eat.” She told him.

“El.” He murmured sounding guilty.

“I’m fine. Just a little dizzy.”

Roman moved over to her and placed his hand on the side of her face.

“Let me get you home and fetch the kids.” He said and gave a little sigh.

“Yes please.” She replied ignoring the easy way he called it home.

He placed Lily in her car seat and lifted her up ignoring her whinging.

“Do you want to pack an overnight bag?” she asked him.

She saw the way his eyes lit up at the suggestion and grinned at him.

“Behave.” He told her and leaned over to kiss her gently. She smiled at him.

“I intend to, you’ll be in the spare room.” she said to him lowering her lashes and giving him a flirtatious look.

He smiled at her and kissed her again before turning and moving into his room. He was out after a minute with his overnight bag disappearing into the bathroom next and collecting his wash bag. He reached over and picked up her shopping bags before handing her Lily.

“Ok?” he murmured.

She nodded and let him lead her out and to his car. He put everything in the back before collecting Lily from her and securing the car seat in. Ella climbed tiredly into the front and sank back against the seat.

“El.” He murmured waking her.

She looked up at him sleepily and smiled.

“Hey.” She said.

“Lily is inside and I took the shopping up to the bedroom.” he told her. “So that just leaves you to take inside.”

She gave a him a look before swinging her legs to the ground and standing up.

“See.” She told him. “I’m fine. Just need some food.”

He smiled but when she looked into his eyes she saw a note of concern and opened her mouth to tell him she was pregnant when she looked around and saw where she was, where they were. He deserved to be told properly.

Roman put his arm around her and helped her into the house. She leant against him and heard him sigh.

“Uh huh.” She told him.

“Ok so I’m worried and I’ve missed this.” He murmured.

She turned and put her arms around him and leaned up and kissed him.

“Go fetch the kids.” She told him.

He grinned and spun around walking back to his car. He drove off not noticing that Ella clutched the doorframe to stop herself from sinking. She staggered into the study and collapsed on to the sofa feeling sick. She reached for her phone and dialled Aden’s number.

“Hey El.” He answered on the first ring.

“Aden. I feel sick.” She moaned.

“El.” He said the amusement leaving his voice.

“I feel sick and dizzy and like I’m going to faint.” She muttered biting back nausea.

“Where are you?” he asked and she could tell he was moving as he spoke to her.

“I’m at home. The door is open.” She gasped out as her eyes rolled back and she fainted.

“El.” Aden said. “El.” He called again louder before he climbed into his car and set off. He was there in minutes and he sprinted out of his car and into the house. He saw the open door into the study and ran in there. A check of her pulse reassured him, as did checking her breathing. He reached down and loosened her clothing. She started to come round and blinked up at him.

“Oh god.” She moaned sickly.

“El.” He said softly.

He helped her sit slowly and leaned her back against the cushions. She tried to smile at her but it did nothing to ease the frown on his face as he grabbed his medical bag and took out his blood pressure monitor. He looked at the display and then at her.

“El.” He began.

“ut oh.” She murmured.

“I shouldn’t have to tell you to take it easy. You know this pregnancy is high risk.” He told her.

She nodded.

“I have been resting and getting light exercise and watching my diet.” She promised.

“Then what brought on the fainting spell?” he asked her folding his arms and standing up looking down at her.

“You do know you look like Roman when you do that.” She muttered.

“Now if that isn’t bad for my ego to be compared to him all the time.” Aden said.

Ella giggled.

“Help me up you fool.” She murmured holding out her hands to him.

He gave her a quick smile and reached out his hands pulling her up and putting his arm quickly around her waist to steady her.

“Ok?” he asked.

She nodded and looked down at her clothes.

“Why are you always trying to get me naked?” she asked him with a grin tucking her T-shirt back in and then changing her mind. She tugged at the jeans to do them up and gave up after a moment catching his grin.

“Ok time for maternity clothes.” She told him. “But seriously if this turns out to be twins again I’m suing somebody.” She grumbled.

Aden laughed and led her into the kitchen and sat her down while he made her a drink. He left her a moment to put his bag in the car not noticing Roman driving off in the distance.

“Hey!” Ella called when the children started coming in a while later.

“Mum.” Sophie called out running over to her. “You got Daddy to pick us up.” She cried out.

Ella smiled at her and leaned over to kiss her.

“Yes and he has promised us biscuits.” She told her and looked up at Roman. She caught a pensive look on his face and gave him a puzzled smile.

“Mummy.” Meggy said quietly.

“What’s up?” She asked.

“Do we have to do homework?” she muttered.

El looked at her and then at Roman.

“Well Daddy?” she asked him.

“I think we should go for a swim.” He told them and grinned as Meggy launched herself at him and hugged him.

“Thank you.” She cried out before they started a convoy up the stairs.

Ella waited a moment watching them go before she held out her hand to him still sitting at the bench in the kitchen. He looked at her head for a second before putting his own in it and going over to her.

“Hey you.” She said. “Are you ok?”

“Shouldn’t that be my question to you?” he muttered.

She gave him a smile.

“I’m fine I called Aden over to check me out.” she told him grinning. “Everything fine.”

“He came all this way?” Roman asked.

Ella shrugged.

“I wasn’t up to driving to him and I’d just sent you to get the kids.” She told him not noticing the look on his face.

He leaned over and kissed her.

“I’ll go get changed. “ he murmured. “Coming out with us?”

She shook her head.

“I’m going to make a start on dinner.”

“I’ll..” he began.

“Nope. You go spend time with the kids.” She instructed giving him that smile again. He leaned over and kissed her again before spinning around and running up the stairs. She found herself grinning and thinking that was where Sammy and Meggy got it from.

She stood slowly and moved over to the fridge pulling out ingredients for dinner and began preparing the vegetables. She smiled as she saw the apples from earlier and decided to make a crumble with them. Roman came downstairs and saw her peeling the apples and he smiled at her as he moved over to her.

“Sorry.” He said with a grimace.

“It’s ok. I thought I’d make a crumble.” She told him. “There is a tin of biscuits up there I can use as the topping.”

He smiled.

“I love the way you got new carpets and furniture.” He murmured a smug grin on his face. “But then go and have the kitchen the same.”

She looked at him.

“Not everything the same.” She told him in a haughty voice. “I keep the cooking tins in that cupboard.”

Roman laughed and leaned over and kissed her, unable to stop himself.

“Hey.” She grumbled. “The kids.”

He froze and eased back.

“Yeah you are right.” He said and inside he wondered if her reluctance to kiss him was due to Aden’s apparent visit.

“Mummy.” Sophie called out. “Can you do my hair?”

Ella smiled and moved over to her and took hold of the brush, putting it through Sophie’s long hair before separating it and twisting the lengths into a plait. She accepted the band from her and put that around the end.

“All done Princess.” She told her giving her a quick kiss.

“Thank you.” Sophie said.

She watched them all move to the pool and cooked the dinner before joining them outside taking a stack of towels out.

“Time over?” Georgie asked and saw her nod.

“Dinner will be ready soon so I need you all showered and in your night clothes please.” She said softly. “Then its dinner and a movie curled up on the sofa before bed.”

Roman smiled and helped them out of the pool. He wrapped a towel around his waist and headed to the house. He saw Lily already in her highchair and kissed her on the way past. He was back down in minutes showered and dressed in tracksuit bottoms and a T-shirt.

“Need any help?” he asked.

She shook her head and handed him a beer.

“All done.” She said sitting next to Lily at the table.

He took the chair next to her and felt her hand touch his knee under the table and he smiled at her before placing his hand on top of hers.

“Mummy.”

“Hey Meggy.”

“I’m sleepy.”

“I’m not surprised.” She told her daughter before turning to Roman. “They were doing their best to stay awake last night to find out about Leona’s baby.”

He looked at his daughter before back at Ella.

“You told them?” he found himself asking.

She nodded.

“What did I tell you Meggy, my girl.”

“That Daddy had a friend living with him but not a girlfriend and stop listening to Colleen and she was having a baby.” Meggy recited and sat down.

Sophie and Georgie came down next followed quickly by Sammy.

“Where are Danni and Gabby?” Sammy asked with a frown.

“I’ve paid for them to go see a movie as a thank you for looking after you lot for me.” Ella explained. “Because I’m thinking.” She began and saw them all look at her. “Well the thing is I’m thinking of having a boyfriend.” She announced and found Roman had squeezed her hand tight at the announcement.

She looked at him under her lashes and then at the kids.

“Well if Daddy is ok with it?” Sophie said uncertainly.

Ella nodded.

“I think Daddy will be fine.” She told them and bit back a grin when she felt Roman let go of her hand under the table. “I thought that I would start by going on a date on Friday.”

Roman thought about what they had agreed on and then how she’d told him not to kiss her in front of the kids and then flashed back to the conversation he’d overheard between her and Aden, when she’d accused him of always trying to take her clothes off. He bit back the swearwords he wanted to use and pinned a smile on his face.

“Yeah I’m fine with that.” He told her.

“Kids?” Ella asked.

They looked at each other before slowly nodding.

“That’s sorted then.” Ella told them. “Now then do you want to know whom I’m dating?” she asked and only just stopped herself laughing at the jealous look on Roman’s face and the disappointed looks on the kids.

Georgie nodded and caught Sophie glaring at him.

“Well I do.” He defended himself.

“Uh huh.” Ella said and leaned over and kissed Roman. She caught the astonished looks from the kids and the slightly smug look from Roman.

“It is me isn’t it?” he said checking.

She nodded and then found the kids launching themselves at her.

“It doesn’t mean that we are getting back together but we’ll see ok.” Ella told them kissing and hugging each of them.

“Is he going to stay over?” Sophie asked quickly.

“Yeah Sophie, we’re divorced.” Ella said. “It’s doesn’t mean your Dad is suddenly deaf.”

“Oh.” She gasped out.

“Yeah I’m staying tonight in my room.” he told his daughter.

“Or my room.” Ella added grinning at the look on his face.

He leaned over and kissed her feeling her kiss him back.

“So are you ok with me having a boyfriend now?” she asked them.

“Yes!” they chorused.

Chapter 20

Roman eased down the stairs from saying goodnight to the children and paused outside Ella’s room. He took a breath and knocked on the door softly.

“Hey.” Ella said opening the door a fraction.

“Hey.” He replied uncertainly.

“Wanna come in?” she asked smirking at him.

He nodded and she opened the door wider. He took in the candle lit around the room taking in the aromatic smell of sandalwood and the musky smell of rose. He stepped inside and looked her slowly over from head and to toe. She was wearing a skimpy nightdress in pale lavender. It barely reached her thighs with a smattering of lace across the neckline, which quite frankly was no wear near her neck. He had a sudden thought that her breasts seemed to be bigger and gave a very slow moan under his breath wondering why his imagination would come up with that idea and then he stopped thinking and pulled her into his arms. He noticed that she was also wearing her wedding ring again and smiled.

Leading her over to the bed her kissed her slowly his tongue teasing hers in an intimate dance. He felt her hands tentatively begin to touch him and he eased back to look into her eyes. Peeling back the covers he eased her gently down on the deep purple sheets smiling when he felt the satin of the new sheets.

“You bought these earlier didn’t you?” he asked her softly.

She smiled at him.

“I may have done.” She said quietly.

He tugged off his T-shirt and dropped it silently to the floor as he lay with her on the bed. She lifted her hands above her head and touched the wrought metal of the headboard, one of her legs straight and the other slightly bent. He grinned at the pose.

“Beautiful” he told her. “We don’t have to make love if you are still feeling unwell.” He added a shadow of lingering concern in his eyes. “You know I’m happy with holding you.”

She lifted her hand to his face stroking him lovingly.

“I want to make love.” She said. “I want to feel you inside me. I want to feel your heart beating against mine.”

He took a gasping breath feeling sharp heavy arousal at her words. Leaning over he kissed her shoulder, teasing the hollow at her collarbone with swirls of his tongue before sliding the strap of her nightdress down. He looked at the swell of her breasts before easing the lace down. He revealed her breasts and cupped them gently before letting himself kiss them hearing her soft moans of pleasure as he feasted. He felt her hands on him then and moaned himself as she teasingly stroked him. He leaned back and peeled the nightdress off leaving her naked with him. He eased back and felt her hands pushing at his tracksuit bottoms and he smiled before helping her remove them. She leaned forward and whispered in his ear and he looked at her before moving with her on the bed. He spooned her one hand caressing her full breast the other wrapped around her waist. They kissed some more before they joined together slowly.

“Yes.” She moaned, their legs tangled together.

He kissed her neck moving her hair to one side his fingers tracing her spine down.

“Hold me.” She said again.

His arms tightened around her and he felt her sigh before she began to move with him in a familiar rhythm. He felt her reach her peak and arch back against him replete.

“My turn.” He whispered.

He moved them in the bed bringing her to her knees. She found herself looking into the mirror seeing them joined intimately.

She giggled and felt his arms tighten around her waist.

“Giggling isn’t allowed.” He growled at her before kissing a spot on her neck. She moaned arching her neck letting his lips have full access.

“You seem to like mirrors.” She told him.

He chuckled.

“Uh huh. I’m not the one who put the dresser there.” he told her.

Her eyes met with his in the reflection in the mirror and she sighed softly feeling darts of pleasure run though her body. She ran her hands over his forearms before sliding one towards her own breast. She heard him moan as he watched her in the mirror. The other hand she slid between her legs to their joined bodies and she heard him gasp.

“Oh my god El.” He moaned.

She began to move against him her hand caressing him. He moaned her name through his teeth, shuddering with pleasure. He buried his face against her, pressing his mouth to her skin muffling his cries of release. They collapsed to the bed his arms still around her.

“Oh my god El.” He said again breathing heavily.

“Did you enjoy that?” she asked him.

“I think my toes curled.” He told her laughing softly.

She laughed.

“Can I just point out that the bit where I saw you touching yourself made me grit my teeth it was so hot.” He said. “Please do that again sometime.”

“Putting in requests?” she asked.

He grinned and kissed her shoulder.

“Yes please.” He murmured.

Ella eased out of his arms and retrieved her nightdress from the floor easing it on. She walked slowly around the room blowing out the candles. He watched the smoke dance to the ceiling before seeing her come back to the bed. She lay down pulling the covers over them. She moved into his arms resting her head on his shoulder.

“So why did you declare us together?” he murmured.

“To the kids?” she asked. “Because you were hurt when I said you shouldn’t kiss me around the kids.”

He sighed.

“And I thought if I trusted you enough to date you then I should be ready to be open about it.” She added.

He eased up and pressed a kiss to her lips before shifting the pillows under his head.

“Not comfortable?” she asked.

He shook his head.

“Nope. I miss my pillows.” He told her.

“I think a couple of them are your pillows.” She told him laughing.

He growled before shifting the pillows again and laying back on them.

“Better?” she asked amusement still in her eyes.

He nodded.

“And the ring?” he asked.

“Oh.” She said looking at her hand. “I must have put it on when I washed my hands.”

He looked puzzled.

“I have that pottery dish by the sink where I put it when I wash my hands remember.” She told him and saw him nod.

“I do now.” He confessed. “So like an instinctive thing?” he murmured.

She grinned at him.

“More like force of habit.”

He laughed and held up his hand.

“Not giving up on us?” she asked him tracing the ring he was still wearing.

“Nope. I have this thing.”

“Yeah I felt it earlier.” She said quickly.

“Ha ha.” He groaned. “I’m in love with my wife.”

“And does she love you?” Ella asked.

“I think so.” He said. “I think she’s been hurt and is scared to let me get too close.”

“And why is that?” She held her breath and looked into his eyes.

“Because I hurt her. I lied to her and I kept things from her. And I got angry with her. So angry that sometimes I scared myself thinking I would hurt her.” he told her and heard her gasp with shock at the words.

“So why should she let you back?” Ella asked him after a long moment had passed.

She could feel his heart beating under the hand she’d placed flat on his chest and the steady rise and fall of his chest as he breathed, as he spoke.

“Because I will never hurt her again. I will never let anyone hurt her again. I will give her the moon and stars if she asks for them.” he said quietly. “I will worship the ground she walks on. I will take care of her and our children. I promise that I will do anything to make her happy.”

Ella gasped as a tear slid down her face at his words.

“I don’t need worship. I’m not a goddess. I’ve not done anything special, Roman, and I know I’ve hurt you too.” She murmured. “Roman I’m…”

“Why did you fall in love with me El?” he asked cutting off her sentence.

She looked into his eyes feeling his heart thumping against her hand. Her own heart beating so fast.

“Because you called me Ella.” She said simply. “You gave me a name. A special name.”

He sighed, his breath ruffling across her hair.

“As simple as that?” he asked.

She eased up looking up at him.

“You looked at me and I wasn’t someone’s sister or daughter or a burden I was someone special. You made me feel something wonderful inside that I had never felt before. It wasn’t about sex. It was trust.” She said her words jumbling in her haste to tell him.

“I don’t understand.” He said.

She took a breath.

“You saw me.” She said.

He grinned.

“I saw you.” He told her. “I saw you.” He repeated his voice full of understanding. “You were Ella.” He added.

She grinned.

“Exactly. I was someone to you. And you could see me.”

“Not an invisible child.”

She shook her head.

“No. You made me feel loved and happy and safe and whole.” She told him.

“And I took that away.” He mourned suddenly.

Ella reached up and kissed him.

“No you didn’t. Because if you had I wouldn’t be here, I wouldn’t be making love with you. I wouldn’t be sad that we reached the place where being apart seemed better than being together. And I wouldn’t be trying again.”

“Are we trying again?” he asked.

“I hope so. I still want to take it slow but yes I want to try again. I miss you Roman. I miss everything about us even the arguments.” She sighed. “Do you want to try again?” she asked holding her breath waiting for his answer.

He tightened his embrace and rolled them over until her was leaning by her side looking into her eyes.

“You better believe that I want to try again and I’ll take anything I can get.”

Ella shook her head.

“No. It’s not about making you do some penance for what went on before. It’s about this.” She told him placing her hand so she could feel the beat of his heart again. “This is so full of love for our children, for Nic and Aden and Miles and for the people in the Bay. I want to know that love again because I missed it. I missed it when you were mad at me and I missed it when you lied to me and I missed it when I had to go away because I was scared that if I stayed I would fall back together with you with nothing ever being different. I’m stronger now Roman and my head is ok. I’m not the person who had bad dreams and hid in the wardrobe in case they came true. I’m Ella and I love you.” She took another deep breath. “So would you like to try again?” she asked once more.

“Yes Ella.” He told her. “I would like to try again.”

She smiled at him and kissed him softly.

“I love you.” He told her brushing her tousled hair back from her face.

“Will you hold me tonight?” she asked him. “I need to feel your arms around me.”

“Yes.” He replied.

He kissed her lips before he felt her ease back and look at him. She grinned at him before she bit her lip and then looked downwards.

“You are right it is an instant thing.” She said.

He chuckled.

“So now you’ve woken it up what do you plan to do with it?” he asked running his hand down her body.

“Ouh I can think of a few things.” She told him kissing him again. She wrapped her arms around his neck and held him to her.

Archived